Consumers Energy Summer Internship 2012

Intern at Consumers Energy Summer Internship 2012? Log in to Submit a Review

I learned all expect of business while doing real work.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

real work, mentor program, and multiple projects.

remembering names of all of the people you meet.

prepare yourself to learn be challenged

Advice to Management

Offer more money for intern challenge which would allow groups to be more flexible with their projects.

Consumers Energy balances fun with learning
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Consumers was great at helping me apply what I learned in the classroom to my daily tasks and jobs.

There were often long breaks between technical projects that were filled with easy office tasks.

Consumers is a great place to get a foot in the door in the engineering work world.

Energizing Michigan; Preparing for the Future
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the one-on-one contact that I had with my supervisor. Being able to learn first hand from her helped in strengthening my understanding of the real estate industry as it relates to a utility company. The relationship helped build a trust between us, which allowed me to work independently, yet not be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions. Because of the way the department was organized, I was able to work with many different aspects of the process and now have a broad overall understanding of the system in place. Consumers Energy has used the internship program as a way to educate individuals on the different divisions within the company and offer interns a chance to tour other facilities within the company. These facilities are all focused on energy efficiency and renewable energy sources and are new for both Consumers Energy and the greater population.

I really enjoyed my experience in the summer internship program at Consumers Energy and would not change anything about it. I learned a lot and the process was smooth and well organized - from the interview process to the final day.

Consumers Energy offers a variety of opportunities in a range of fields. Take advantage of every opportunity you have to work with this forward thinking company.

Advice to Management

I was fortunate to have a supervisor that was willing to include me in every decision and meeting that was made by the department and was willing to challenge me with tasks that I was unfamiliar with. I would recommend to other supervisors to treat their interns like employees and not interns. They can become apart of your team for the short time that they are there and can provide valuable insight.

The experience of a lifetime
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internships was to work in a group in different departments instead seeing your original teammates all the time

I beleive that my experience was a great one and I can't wait to come back.

With the mentoring, have the mentor in the same building or the same department.

Advice to Management

I feel the training should be more hands on instead of all online even though there is a lot of info.

Consumers Energy is number one for quality real-life experience in a diverse company with excellent compensation and growth opportunities.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The quality of assignments, leadership opportunities, real-life experience and networking opportunities. It is one thing to read things in a text book at school, but to come in the office and to put them into play was priceless.

My coworkers are amazing and were phenomenal mentors along the way. The office culture and flexibility is second to none. I was accepted for a five week exchange program in India and my boss may have been even more excited than I was and did not even question holding my intern position open for me to return to. It also was a non-issue when I returned with my nose pierced because Consumers Energy has a very accepting culture and encourages diversity.

They let me work as much or as little as I needed depending on my school load (18-60 hours/week). We were not only compensated well for our hourly wages, I was paid time and a half for anything over 40 hours.

If students interned from out of town, Consumers Energy paid for them to have an apartment in town during their internship. We also have 24/7 access to the building and gym.

I absolutely loved the Summer Intern Challenge. We were tasked with partnering with a local non-profit organization to help them do something that they do not have the resources to accomplish. We worked with an assigned team, met a lot of people, made a big difference and then presented our project to panel of judges and our peers.

I honestly cannot think of anything I did not like about this internship experience.

I can honestly say that going into college, working for a utility industry was not an option I had considered. Consumers Energy offers a wide variety of challenging work from IT, engineering, lab services, marketing and communications, regulations, human resources, and more.

They have many employees that have worked at the company for decades and were given the opportunity to have complete career changes without leaving. Consumers Energy is dedicated to Michigan, local communities and are working on being leaders in customer service. There are always challenging projects to get involved in.

Another great thing about working for Consumers Energy is that they give matching grants to organizations that employees donate to and additional grants to organizations that employees volunteer their time at. Consumers Energy is extremely accepting of different cultures and are dedicated to diversity with groups like the Minority Advisory Panel, Women Advisory Panel, Together Employees Advising Management and others.

While you can work here with dreadlocks, tattoos, facial piercings, etc., Consumers Energy embraces diversity as a whole and the different skills, personalities, educational background and capabilities that their employees bring to the table.

Advice to Management

Technology for working remotely could be better utilized. Employees can get on the network through the VPN and phone into meetings, but having the capability to attend a meeting through an online video chat would be beneficial. Especially when working from out of the country when phone calls are expensive.

It was way more than I expected and I cannot wait to go back! Consumers Energy is an AMAZING company!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, opportunities for networking, compensation, and learning opportunites were the best aspects of my internship.

I wish I would have been able to get a better apartment that already came furnished, like the ones on college campuses, given that I am not from Michigan and couldn't easily take furniture with me.

Be open minded. It will in turn open so many doors for you. Consumers has so many ways to get involved at work and also in the community. Take advantage of those opportunities.

Advice to Management

I think that when hiring new employees, the people that will be working with that person should be consulted. I witnessed 2 people get fired and I would say those problems may have been averted should the rest of the staff had a say in who was coming on board.

Engineering internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The tours were a nice way of showing the interns around the company. Probably one of the best experiences during the internship.

For returning interns it would be nice to actually work in other departments in order to see different aspects of the company by actually working.

Spend the time to evaluate what kind of people/ atmosphere you would like to work in and ask relevant questions during the interview. You work 40 to 50 hrs per week, so a great deal of time is spend at the work place. If the atmosphere does not suit you, you and the people around you will suffer.

Bridging Academia and the Real World
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Supportive team lead, helpful coworkers, work hard/play hard environment.

Moving offices during the middle of my internship.

Consumers Energy is a company that cares about its interns. It gives challenging assignments, but also provides the resources, support, and help one needs to accomplish them.

Excellent opportunity

Great learning environment

Fun time while working.

Well structured program

Advice to Management

Allow for intern overtime

Consumers Energy: Jackson's Hidden Gem for Internship Possibilities
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had the coolest boss ever. She was fun, kind, smart, motivated, and inspirational. She became a role model for me.

I could not take a nap on the job.

Go for it! Consumers is a great company that will provide you with real and meaningful corporate experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things like "Tour de Cafe" and such. The Intern Challenge was a great way for interns to meet and interact outside of work, too. You're doing great! Maybe have an informal lunch once a month for the interns to just hang out and meet friends. Making friends made the job fun.