Consumers Energy Summer Internship 2012

Date: 2012

Consumers Energy balances fun with learning

Consumers was great at helping me apply what I learned in the classroom to my daily tasks and jobs.

There were often long breaks between technical projects that were filled with easy office tasks.

Consumers is a great place to get a foot in the door in the engineering work world.

Engineering internship

The tours were a nice way of showing the interns around the company. Probably one of the best experiences during the internship.

For returning interns it would be nice to actually work in other departments in order to see different aspects of the company by actually working.

Spend the time to evaluate what kind of people/ atmosphere you would like to work in and ask relevant questions during the interview. You work 40 to 50 hrs per week, so a great deal of time is spend at the work place. If the atmosphere does not suit you, you and the people around you will suffer.

Excellent opportunity

Great learning environment

Fun time while working.

Well structured program

Advice to Management

Allow for intern overtime

Consumers Energy: Jackson's Hidden Gem for Internship Possibilities

I had the coolest boss ever. She was fun, kind, smart, motivated, and inspirational. She became a role model for me.

I could not take a nap on the job.

Go for it! Consumers is a great company that will provide you with real and meaningful corporate experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things like "Tour de Cafe" and such. The Intern Challenge was a great way for interns to meet and interact outside of work, too. You're doing great! Maybe have an informal lunch once a month for the interns to just hang out and meet friends. Making friends made the job fun.

Energizing Michigan; Preparing for the Future

I enjoyed the one-on-one contact that I had with my supervisor. Being able to learn first hand from her helped in strengthening my understanding of the real estate industry as it relates to a utility company. The relationship helped build a trust between us, which allowed me to work independently, yet not be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions. Because of the way the department was organized, I was able to work with many different aspects of the process and now have a broad overall understanding of the system in place. Consumers Energy has used the internship program as a way to educate individuals on the different divisions within the company and offer interns a chance to tour other facilities within the company. These facilities are all focused on energy efficiency and renewable energy sources and are new for both Consumers Energy and the greater population.

I really enjoyed my experience in the summer internship program at Consumers Energy and would not change anything about it. I learned a lot and the process was smooth and well organized - from the interview process to the final day.

Consumers Energy offers a variety of opportunities in a range of fields. Take advantage of every opportunity you have to work with this forward thinking company.

Advice to Management

I was fortunate to have a supervisor that was willing to include me in every decision and meeting that was made by the department and was willing to challenge me with tasks that I was unfamiliar with. I would recommend to other supervisors to treat their interns like employees and not interns. They can become apart of your team for the short time that they are there and can provide valuable insight.

Bridging Academia and the Real World

Supportive team lead, helpful coworkers, work hard/play hard environment.

Moving offices during the middle of my internship.

Consumers Energy is a company that cares about its interns. It gives challenging assignments, but also provides the resources, support, and help one needs to accomplish them.

Date: 2012

The experience of a lifetime

The best aspects of the internships was to work in a group in different departments instead seeing your original teammates all the time

I beleive that my experience was a great one and I can't wait to come back.

With the mentoring, have the mentor in the same building or the same department.

Advice to Management

I feel the training should be more hands on instead of all online even though there is a lot of info.

Date: 2012

Great Opportunity for your future!

Great exposure and opportunity to learn about the energy industry.

I have zero complaints about the intership.

Consumers Energy is a great company to work for!

Date: 2012

I learned all expect of business while doing real work.

real work, mentor program, and multiple projects.

remembering names of all of the people you meet.

prepare yourself to learn be challenged

Advice to Management

Offer more money for intern challenge which would allow groups to be more flexible with their projects.

Date: 2012

It was way more than I expected and I cannot wait to go back! Consumers Energy is an AMAZING company!

The company culture, opportunities for networking, compensation, and learning opportunites were the best aspects of my internship.

I wish I would have been able to get a better apartment that already came furnished, like the ones on college campuses, given that I am not from Michigan and couldn't easily take furniture with me.

Be open minded. It will in turn open so many doors for you. Consumers has so many ways to get involved at work and also in the community. Take advantage of those opportunities.

Advice to Management

I think that when hiring new employees, the people that will be working with that person should be consulted. I witnessed 2 people get fired and I would say those problems may have been averted should the rest of the staff had a say in who was coming on board.