Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

Challenging, Exciting, and Rewarding Experience.

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

BP covered all of the costs of relocation and housing. They had a really cool three day intern training experience where we learned more about the oil and gas industry and what is BP's long term strategy. Lots of lunch and learns with free lunch! I got to hear from a handful of executives who were offering career advice. All interns presented their summer projects at an event called TechnoFest and there were winners in three categories: Technical Excellence, Business Impact, Safety & Operational Risk.

There was nothing that I did not like.

Learn as much as you can about the energy industry and BP's strategy. Know the business whether you're interning in upstream/downstream.

Tell me about a time you led a team through a difficult transition.

Advice to Management

None.

Exploring mechanical engineering responsibilities in the oil and gas industry

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was able to go offshore for a total of 12 days, on three seperate trips to get a better understanding of my project and to perform tasks that were valuable to the team. I was given a project that not only would move the team forward but also fine tuned my skills as a young engineer

Nothing comes to mind

You will be doing real engineering work at BP that will help you better understand the oil and gas industry. BP gives interns full-time employee work, not 'busy work'. Very enriching and valuable experience

Bp has two parts to their interview process. Behavioral questions and technical questions. The behavioral are similar to most other companies. But the technical questions are unique in that they evaluate how a candidate thinks through a logic process to achieve a solution.

Advice to Management

Nothing comes to mind

Networking and learning about the business is key; refinery decisions will be made based on my projects

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

*The people are fantastic - nice, friendly, eager to help you succeed

*Opportunities beyond the normal internship are available if you seek them

*My work is going to (within the month) be adopted by the refineries - large, real-world monetary and product quality decision based on my work

*Good office culture (softball team, general friendliness, outings, etc)

*A lot of interns provides a good social climate

*Paid and furnished housing makes long-distance relocation easy

*Located in the suburbs of Chicago, so it's challenging without a car

People within BP move around a lot, staying in the same roles 2-4 years. This is great if you want to do lots of different things or move up, but it's probably not the best business strategy.

Advice to Management

I don't think there should be such strong emphasis on CoOp programs - I think it is really demoralizing to interns, who think they're less likely to get hired than someone who's done five rotations in the company. Additionally, coming from a school ranked probably a hundred places higher than the CoOp schools, I feel as if I had to work a lot harder and prove myself a lot more to get to the same place that they got just by not being bad at their first rotation.

Discovering BP and the energy industry

- own projects

- company culture and support system

- paid apartment and great compensation

- structured internship program

- ability to network with other functions and leaders

- would have liked

BP is really a great place to intern at with many perks. They pay for your apartment, give you excellent compensation, and provide you with challenging projects.

Why do you want to intern in the oil and gas industry?

Great Experience

flexible

self motivated

didnt feel like i had enough time

take every opportuntiy you can

There was a technical one related to materials

Advice to Management

have the supervisors engage more with the interns

10 weeks in paradise

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people that work there

No overtime pay

Give BP a chance, they provide great opportunities for their employees

At BP I learned where I wanted to be.

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my BP internship were: exposure to the working conditions on the North Slope, background on the oil and gas industry, mentoring from successful professionals, support from my project team, and the opportunity to work in the beautiful state of Alaska.

Working with and getting to know all of the very talented interns was difficult knowing not everyone would be getting a job offer.

Aggressively pursue an internship with BP. You will be well paid and work on real projects.

1) Describe an instance in the work place where you were aware of someone doing something wrong or unsafe? How did you respond to it?

2) What components would be necessary in the design of an electrical system for an off shore oil platform in the North Sea?

Advice to Management

Continue to send engaging staff to do college requirement. Five minutes of personal conversation with a BP representative allowed me to open up about my background and experience and not just talk about my engineering program....as a result I will now be working fro BP.

Excellence!

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning and working like a full-time engineer

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with BP.

BP will treat you well.

A fruitful summer experience in the industry

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with talented people and state of the art computing facilities

Interns have less communicating opportunities (with each other) compared with previous experience

Great place to conduct research activities; a wonderful opportunity to learn old things as well as explore new things.

What is your thesis topic and do you want to work on a project related to the topic?

Advice to Management

Space of several group activities seem to be quite limited; other than that it has been a great experience

Intensive learning in a friendly atmosphere.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the work culture. Everyone I worked with was eager to meet me and provide me assistance in any way I could. I never really felt like the "intern." I felt like I was part of the company from day one.

It was also very challenging and an amazing learning experience.

From a social perspective, BP also did their very best to provide us with networking opportunities with the interns and fellow workers.

It may sound cliche, but nothing at all. The only thing that bothered me was waking up early to go to work, and even that wasn't bad since I enjoyed going to work.

Come with an OPEN mind! It will be very intimidating at first, but you definitely need to push yourself and use BP's resources to your advantage. The company provides so many services and they will only help you if you choose to use them.

Advice to Management

Do not bring in as many interns if there are not as many open positions for full-time

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)