Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

Challenging, Exciting, and Rewarding Experience.

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

BP covered all of the costs of relocation and housing. They had a really cool three day intern training experience where we learned more about the oil and gas industry and what is BP's long term strategy. Lots of lunch and learns with free lunch! I got to hear from a handful of executives who were offering career advice. All interns presented their summer projects at an event called TechnoFest and there were winners in three categories: Technical Excellence, Business Impact, Safety & Operational Risk.

There was nothing that I did not like.

Learn as much as you can about the energy industry and BP's strategy. Know the business whether you're interning in upstream/downstream.

Tell me about a time you led a team through a difficult transition.

Advice to Management

None.

Exploring mechanical engineering responsibilities in the oil and gas industry

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was able to go offshore for a total of 12 days, on three seperate trips to get a better understanding of my project and to perform tasks that were valuable to the team. I was given a project that not only would move the team forward but also fine tuned my skills as a young engineer

Nothing comes to mind

You will be doing real engineering work at BP that will help you better understand the oil and gas industry. BP gives interns full-time employee work, not 'busy work'. Very enriching and valuable experience

Bp has two parts to their interview process. Behavioral questions and technical questions. The behavioral are similar to most other companies. But the technical questions are unique in that they evaluate how a candidate thinks through a logic process to achieve a solution.

Advice to Management

Nothing comes to mind

I discovered knowledge that transcends that which is learned in the classroom and my own leadership skills

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the BP interns were treated with respect and help was always readily available

I do not have an answer to this question.

I do not have an answer to this question.

A fruitful summer experience in the industry

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with talented people and state of the art computing facilities

Interns have less communicating opportunities (with each other) compared with previous experience

Great place to conduct research activities; a wonderful opportunity to learn old things as well as explore new things.

What is your thesis topic and do you want to work on a project related to the topic?

Advice to Management

Space of several group activities seem to be quite limited; other than that it has been a great experience

a great experience to learn something and create something

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

a good atmosphere in the group

almost nothing

be good at coding and be good to people

How to function on a team, and why a team is your best asset

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed and appreciated working on a project that was both meaningful and that will provide application to real world problems. Also, I loved the opportunity to meet people with a ton of experience and industry insight that were fully willing to give insight as a moments notice.

I missed having my family with me, but that's the nature of internships, isn't it? Also, the intern get-together's were nice, but somewhat immature, as most interns were much younger.

This is a great company with great benefits, people, training, and culture. If an offer comes your way from BP, it would be a drastically bad idea to turn it down. Opportunities like the ones found at BP are a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing.

Advice to Management

The midterm reviews should be given a generic schedule and outline company-wide (if possible). Many interns had different experiences with midterms--mine was wonderful, but others mentioned a large uncertainty factor in planning.

The most organized, balanced, well compensated, and the real job experience with project that has real value to the company is priceless.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. The real job experience and responsibility: The assigned project that adds value to the company.

2. The Values and Culture: Employees are living up to its core values and the welcoming environment where everyone helps you to be successful speaks volume.

3. Compensation: The pay and benefits are superb!

None – because it surpasses almost every aspect of my internship expectations.

Seize the opportunity - be proactive to learn more! Everyone in the company wants you to succeed.

A Great Life Experience

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Communication & Team building.

Not long enough.

Learn software excel.....

Do you know logs and read this map.

Advice to Management

None everyone was professional and helpful.

Great Experience

flexible

self motivated

didnt feel like i had enough time

take every opportuntiy you can

There was a technical one related to materials

Advice to Management

have the supervisors engage more with the interns

Networking and learning about the business is key; refinery decisions will be made based on my projects

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

*The people are fantastic - nice, friendly, eager to help you succeed

*Opportunities beyond the normal internship are available if you seek them

*My work is going to (within the month) be adopted by the refineries - large, real-world monetary and product quality decision based on my work

*Good office culture (softball team, general friendliness, outings, etc)

*A lot of interns provides a good social climate

*Paid and furnished housing makes long-distance relocation easy

*Located in the suburbs of Chicago, so it's challenging without a car

People within BP move around a lot, staying in the same roles 2-4 years. This is great if you want to do lots of different things or move up, but it's probably not the best business strategy.

Advice to Management

I don't think there should be such strong emphasis on CoOp programs - I think it is really demoralizing to interns, who think they're less likely to get hired than someone who's done five rotations in the company. Additionally, coming from a school ranked probably a hundred places higher than the CoOp schools, I feel as if I had to work a lot harder and prove myself a lot more to get to the same place that they got just by not being bad at their first rotation.