Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

Best MBA leadership development internship program at a Fortune 500 company.

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The caliber of support and development opportunities available during the internship was excellent. There also was a strong emphasis on networking, so I had time to make connections and learn about other parts of the business. 3M sponsors many opportunities for interns to get to know the area and enjoy our free time in the area. Also, I worked on projects that were mission critical for my clients, so there was immediate action to implement recommendations, even before I finished the internship.

We had multiple issues with the subsidized housing program, which detracted from the Twin Cities living experience. There were times when it wasn't completely clear whether I was on track with expectations for progress on my projects, but in the end, it all came together as expected.

3M covers a vast range of industries and provides opportunities for a diverse career path. The internship and subsequent full-time strategy and marketing development program are a launch pad for a clear understanding of 3M from a strategic perspective in order to become a general manager/marketer within a business. The challenges within 3M are those typical of a 100-year-old company. It's large and takes time to make any change at an organizational level. At the same time, 3M products are backed by a depth of scientific knowledge that leads to superior quality that you can be proud to sell.

Advice to Management

3M received the Catalyst award for progress in promoting women's leadership, but that progress seems uneven across the business groups. There are still places where women do not feel they can advance and where the attitudes that lead to promotions are not inclusive. 3M needs to tackle those issues to continue attracting diverse talent.
3M does not use 360 feedback. The lack of accountability for interaction with direct reports and with peers does not encourage growth in leadership behaviors among upper-level managers.

How many buildings are there in X city?

Great opportunity for self-driven people who want to own projects that make major impact across their interests

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

You manage your own time. You are your own boss. Only report to internal client. Lots of networking and career development opportunities. Opportunity to learn about lots of job functions from strategy to marketing to business development. Opportunity to work on global projects. Also opportunity to work on innovation and learn 3M's approach to innovation.

Internal clients all have different expectations. Pay not that high.

3M focuses on premium products. The business issues it faces are for premium products across different categories and market segments.

3M is launching a new microfiber cable product. How do you go about evaluating the market size of this product? How would you bring this product to market?

I Learned Valuable Things I Didn't Even Know That I Didn't Know

Work-life balance
projects

The pay/compensation

Take initiative

Advice to Management

Expend the software department

Tell me about your experiences

Network with a little work

Network network network

Work didn't seem to mater
Was not doing the work I would have liked to

Know what you want and search for thag

Advice to Management

Take more input from where interns would like to be placed

Impactful, interesting work with the support of a great group of people.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work was interesting, the people were great

There is nothing that I would change

You have to be a self starter here

Internal consulting projects for an international, science-oriented CPG company

Project Breadth, International Focus, Willing to Network, Empowered Employees

Slow collaboration, risk averse, difficult matrix

The work is some strategy and lot of marketing, but marketing managers are often general managers

Excellent example of day to day engineering

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining real life engineering experience

Not being able to apply the chemical portion of my chemical engineering knowledge

There is a culture shock when going from a city to a small town.

Amazing work experience accompanied by valuable career and life lessons.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great experience in the industry. Worked with great people and learned a lot from them.

Was not well set up in the beginning for an engineering intern. Spent 2 weeks to find an Engineering computer and download software for it.

The culture of the company would be good to know. The culture of the company is definitely a deciding factor personally for a company. There is a great company culture at 3M, everyone is very open to helping each other out.

Advice to Management

Everything was great.

Why 3M?
Why would you be a good fit for 3M?

Great experience, no full-time offer though

The people.

The down time. It is difficult to have someone completely jump into a project so there were a decent number of days where I did not have enough to do.

R&D interns are the only ones who don't seem to get return full-time offers.

Great experience

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours, knowledgeable and helpful co-workers

Having to leave at the end of the summer

Prepare to learn and embrace everything 3M offers.