Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

SOS Intern Slowed Down by Bureaucratical Papaerwork

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked the people I got to work with, as well as the opportunity to do interesting work.

The work would get slowed down by paperwork. A little frustrating at times

Be assertive to try and get things done (within reason) the system moves slow, so you will need to push if you want to get more than one project done.

Advice to Management

I would like to see daily tasks implemented to interns. This would allow for the interns to have a fall back job if they come to halt waiting for something.

Who would you rather be and why?
a quarter back, running back, lineman, linebacker or spectator?

Great experience

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship was being directly involved with the development of a product that I have used in microbiology courses. This product was essential in speeding up the time for results in comparison to traditional methods and has been revolutionary in the food industry.

I would like to have been given more direction with my project. I would also like to have been given more explanation for jargon central to 3M which made understanding certain aspects of the project difficult in the beginning. I also would have liked to have been able to complete all training and workspace set-up within the first week of the internship.

I would like to have known the potential for full-time employment and flexibility to move around in the company as a recent graduate with a BS in Food Science. It would be helpful for a candidate to understand that full-time employment after completing an internship is heavily based off of company needs and financial status at the time. Therefore, even with great work ethic and progress on a project, it cannot e guaranteed.

Advice to Management

A more clear set of instructions set forth by my supervisor at the beginning of my internship would have been appreciated. These would include the scope of the project, what is expected to be completed by my end date, and how to enter data in an appropriate format on a computer system.

Poorly framed project with no mentorship

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay and flexibility of working hours

I felt like an enormous burden to my advisor, whom I rarely saw.

I wish I had known the functions of my office, and how my project was irrelevant to everyone around me.

Learned to design a research project from start to finish with minimal supervision.

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, designing experiments, learning about what other people were doing

Did not get to work with others often

I wish I had known it would be unlikely to receive a job in R&D and I wish I had been introduced to hiring managers outside of my division.

Advice to Management

Improve networking opportunities, modernize the work place, allow computer work to be done from home, and improve intern housing. Intern housing is fully covered by most other corporations.

Describe a time when you failed. Several basic star questions. Why did you become a chemical engineer.

A summer to never forget that encompasses both social and work life

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of my internship was working with brilliant minds who taught me very well how to complete my assigned projects and getting to work for such a large and great company for my first internship experience.

I think that there was definitely a lack of structure in the R&D internship program compared to other programs. While other areas such as corporate engineering and BT&IT had many networking events as well as opportunities to meet other interns, I think that the R&D segment was severely lacking.

3M does not hire R&D interns with just a bachelors degree, if you are interested in R&D go to grad school, otherwise do not expect to get a full time offer

Advice to Management

Let R&D interns know that you have little to no intention of hiring them unless they have a masters or PHD.
Have your direct supervisors approve your work hours, all of the R&D interns had the same person approving their hours who they never or rarely saw, it just does not make since when someone who is approving your time is someone who you never see.

Strengths/weaknesses
why do you want to work for 3M
what do you want to know about 3M/what interests you

Experience in fundamental research

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- My supervisors and mentors always pushed me to perform at my highest level
- I was doing work that had a tangible impact on the company

- They do not hire R&D interns
- Not many opportunities to network with employees in different areas
- Internship projects are very narrowly defined, leaving little room for the intern's ideas

They do not hire R&D interns. The expectation is that you go to graduate school and then apply for full time once you have a PhD

Exciting experience at prestigious company marred by bureaucracy, failures of instrumentation, and total lack of employment prospects

Saint Paul, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

As a recent PhD graduate, I got to learn about "industry" from the inside, speaking with researchers from all over R&D and learning about their projects. I was able to see production facilities and lab spaces that probably weren't supposed to be shown to interns (people responded very positively to my genuine curiosity). I also got a lot of discounted products!

My official supervisor was absent my first week for personal reasons (fine), changed departments my second week without warning (not fine), promised an extension of my internship into the fall in spite of my concern about the official program (very kind), and ultimately failed to follow through on that extension, such that it is now impossible for me to extend my stay due to funding and headcount limitations (very frustrating). Also they told us up front that the company really likes hiring from the intern pool and that this was like an extended interview, and then hired extremely few people, with barely any from R&D, due to those same funding constraints.

This is theoretically a great place to be an intern if everything goes according to plan! It's well-paid and you'll have access to a lot of excellent resources, cutting-edge lab instrumentation, and field experts. However, don't expect a job, and anticipate having a lot of downtime while corporate bureaucracy ties up just about everything you want to do that involves something outside your department (e.g., IT).

Advice to Management

Be honest with your interns about hiring prospects. If we'd been told up front that 3M was not likely to hire interns, I would still have taken this position and simply focused my energy differently. We were led to believe that this was a 12-week interview and we should treat every meeting and networking opportunity accordingly. In reality, this could have been a great chance to develop my skills and get training in new techniques, but...I was networking.

Also: Gender neutral bathrooms. LGBT-friendliness is very good here in general but I have only been able to find gender neutral bathrooms outside of security in lobby spaces, not in the lab buildings.

I don't think I was officially interviewed.

3M is a great place to work if you're looking to go in for the long haul. Not really for the young and ambitious.

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good basic structure: provided help with living accommodation, travel expenses, reasonable transportation between acommodation and work. Well thought out location of apartment.

Smart People: Many of my R&D office mates were incredibly intelligent and studied interesting things. Everyone seems to enjoy helping each other out too.

The Intern Program Directors: To sum it up- kind of ditzy. 98% of the events that happened during the work day happened in one of the two main building quads making it hard for everyone to participate. I feel like many emails came with a follow up email correcting a typo. Some off work time events for 19+ interns seemed like their target audience was 12 and below...

Not much structure: I really wish that they had you work WITH someone on at least one project so you could both learn and be observed up close. I understand personal projects are also important for evaluation, but a little more structure isn't bad.

3M is a really good company for you to start and grow in. There a lot of internal infrastructure because of its myriad of divisions. 3M strives to make employee's lives easy in and out of work. Just know that a lot of the people there are well settled in their lives and it may be tough meeting friends!

Tell me about your lab/research experience at school.

What was one time you were a leader?/Can you tell me about a time you needed to use leadership skills?

a valuable experience

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

build professional networks with the employees

not many full time job opportunities

top company in polymer field

Advice to Management

innovation

tell me about your research in your phd

which project do you like best

what will you do over the weekend

Tricked into being a lab monkey all summer.

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Living in the Twin Cities, being able to schedule informational interview with just about anyone.

That my supervisor was bad (there is relatively little oversight to the internship program), and that being a previous intern did not help me get a better placement this year.

For R&D roles, they do not tell you where your placement is going to be until 3 months in advance. If they tell you what it is and it sounds awful - refuse the job. There are a lot of great opportunities at 3M, but if you do not think you would like the job, you will likely not.

Advice to Management

Ask incoming interns what kind of work they are interested in and at least try to pay attention.

How can I best sell you to the company?