Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

Utter disappointment

Saint Paul, MN | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned I absolutely do NOT want to work for 3M, and I can dissuade my peers from making the same mistake I did.

I was given no responsibility or respect. I was treated like a child, not like a prospective engineer. My manager did not have any projects for me to work on and instead gave me menial tasks the entire summer.

Do not work at 3M if you are passionate about using engineering to improve life. While 3M's products do that, the employees there are not eager to work hard and are not truly passionate about what they're doing. The culture is dreary and sad.

Advice to Management

Have meaningful projects for R&D interns. Make the managers submit potential projects to HR in March/April, and then give interns the approved projects. Every intern I talked to told me how bored they were because they didn't have enough work to do, and that the work they were doing was not meaningful. Give interns responsibility, and make the interns salaried, NOT hourly.

If you could do anything, what would you do? (Career related, i.e. would you start a business, open a restaurant, be a teacher, etc.).