Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

Internal consulting projects for an international, science-oriented CPG company

Project Breadth, International Focus, Willing to Network, Empowered Employees

Slow collaboration, risk averse, difficult matrix

The work is some strategy and lot of marketing, but marketing managers are often general managers

Excellent example of day to day engineering

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining real life engineering experience

Not being able to apply the chemical portion of my chemical engineering knowledge

There is a culture shock when going from a city to a small town.

Amazing work experience accompanied by valuable career and life lessons.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great experience in the industry. Worked with great people and learned a lot from them.

Was not well set up in the beginning for an engineering intern. Spent 2 weeks to find an Engineering computer and download software for it.

The culture of the company would be good to know. The culture of the company is definitely a deciding factor personally for a company. There is a great company culture at 3M, everyone is very open to helping each other out.

Advice to Management

Everything was great.

Why 3M?
Why would you be a good fit for 3M?

Gaining Professional Project Engineering Experience While Building Great Relationships with People and Exploring Exciting New Cities

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people in my division were fantastic and truly made my learning and growth as an engineer one of their top priorities. Everyone has been so kind and approachable for questions, willing to take the time to help, but trusted me with relatively larger responsibilities. Additionally, I got the opportunity to travel to multiple plants to lead my projects, which I know is not an opportunity many people get

Having to pay a good chunk of the rent for relocation while still paying rent back at school

There is SO much amazing technology that I had no idea 3M was involved in. Whatever your passions are, I can almost guarantee you that there is a division or a position at this company that would suit your interests.

Advice to Management

I think being more transparent to the R&D interns at the beginning of the summer. I know some people were unaware that they would not be getting full-time offer opportunities, as 3M normally hires doctorate students for R&D.

To be completely honest I do not remember at all, I am sorry

Very beneficial for me in perfecting my laboratory skills, and increasing my microbiological and biotechnological knowledge.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part of my internship was the vast knowledge that I obtained working in the industry and perfecting my skills in my field of study. Being able to work along side other people who have been in the manufacturing industry for years really helped me to learn a lot.

I enjoyed all aspects of my internship throughout the course of a year and a half.

Ask questions. The team that I currently work with is incredibly knowledgable and willing to share their skills and experiences with anyone so long that the individual is interested in their work.

Advice to Management

I was compensated very well as an intern. My hours were long and there were quite a few times that I worked odd shifts, but that was of my choosing. I spent the majority of the summer working in between school years, so putting in long hard hours was perfectly fine with me. Honestly, I would not change anything about the position.

What form of previous lab experience have you had?
How would you react in [insert some example of a situation here]?
How would you approach someone [insert situation here]?
A lot of the questions were directed towards how I would work and react to different situations when working with a team of individuals. This was due to the fact that I reported my work and findings back to a team of 6 individuals.

Great experience, no full-time offer though

The people.

The down time. It is difficult to have someone completely jump into a project so there were a decent number of days where I did not have enough to do.

R&D interns are the only ones who don't seem to get return full-time offers.

Great experience

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours, knowledgeable and helpful co-workers

Having to leave at the end of the summer

Prepare to learn and embrace everything 3M offers.

Gaining True Manufacturing Engineering Experience and Six Sigma Training

Columbia, MD | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the week long formal training at headquarters, where I was gained knowledge to help with my project in addition to networking. I also enjoyed the poster presentation, where I could showcase what I've done over the summer. Unlike other companies, 3M gives their interns great projects and responsibilities that really benefit the intern.

I wish I would've gotten a preference for plant location or division if possible. I also had to choose to accept or decline my offer by August 10, which was tough.

I wish I would've known that the Optimized Operations Program moves you wherever in the country, and you don't have too much of a choice about which plant you end up in. So you must be flexible.

Advice to Management

N/A

What was your past experience and how would it prepare you for an engineering internship at 3M?

Innovative, on your own, and making your assignment your own to go out and make an impact in your zone.

Grand Rapids, MI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being on your own

Finding things to do

Be a self-starter and enjoying working alone a lot

Take on a full-time role, for 10 weeks.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom of choice, no micromanagement, and connecting with a network of awesome people.

Sometimes lack of direction could be hard.

This internship gives you the complete freedom to work on your project, just make sure to give your supervisor periodic updates on the direction you're taking it to make sure their vision and your implementation are aligned.

Advice to Management

Give a more transparent view of if you're hiring at the end of the internship for full-time. I know many divisions at 3M did this to other Interns before the end but IATD was not very clear until the last day.

Honestly can't remember back that far.