Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

Learning Everyday

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people that you are able to work with and the experience that you gain while living close to home.

I have a small desk and have not been dedicated to one focus factory, but some days I wish I did.

I wish I would have know what types of other engineering internships were available within 3M.

Great opportunity for self-driven people who want to own projects that make major impact across their interests

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

You manage your own time. You are your own boss. Only report to internal client. Lots of networking and career development opportunities. Opportunity to learn about lots of job functions from strategy to marketing to business development. Opportunity to work on global projects. Also opportunity to work on innovation and learn 3M's approach to innovation.

Internal clients all have different expectations. Pay not that high.

3M focuses on premium products. The business issues it faces are for premium products across different categories and market segments.

3M is launching a new microfiber cable product. How do you go about evaluating the market size of this product? How would you bring this product to market?

I Learned Valuable Things I Didn't Even Know That I Didn't Know

Work-life balance
projects

The pay/compensation

Take initiative

Advice to Management

Expend the software department

Tell me about your experiences

Career and personal development

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I grew tremendously both professionally and personally. Everyone in the company is accessible and willing to mentor you.

my supervisor was inaccessible, didn't keep her word, and did very little to mentor or develop me

3M gives you all the tools to be successful. Real assignments, great people to mentor you etc. take advantage of these opportunities and use the summer to truly better yourself both professionally and personally. Know what you're good at, and know what you need to work on.

Advice to Management

Pay was very confusing and not consistent at all. Very frustrating.

Nice people an interesting work.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people. My supervisor and team were amazing.

I'm still not sure if I will receive a full-time offer.

There is a huge difference between the different intern programs (O2 intern vs. Division Engineering vs. Manufacturing Engineering).

Advice to Management

Try to give full-time offers to interns before they go back to school. The best way to get good candidates into the company is to get them to commit to 3M early on. It is also nice as an intern to have accepted a job before starting the last year of school.

Work hard, learn lots, make lasting connections

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved when we had training in St Paul for the O2 Program. Love love love it.

I disliked having people not prioritize my project since I was an intern but then not realize I don't have forever to be here working on it.

Every company has issues. 3M is a very large company which means resolving the issues is not always easy. You may be in a low priority department, or your line may not have large profit margins. This makes it hard to get things fixed.

Advice to Management

I think corporate needs to kep in mind that the plants make us money, even if the line has low margins they are still working their hardest to produce a quality product that 3M is proud to have its name on.

I am unsure as it was a while ago, but they were situational based questions

Great place to gain beginners experience within technology and business process flows

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of schedule, how interactive the internship program support team were, the events that the interns participated in, the team that the intern was assigned too, interacting with senior management, the discounts you received upon company products and services

Nothing really, everything was great!

Be ready for global communications, you will be interacting with people from different countries, places and culture. Know the etiquette of global corporate communication and be aware that this is not a start up company rather a fortune 500 company!

Advice to Management

More open collaborative spaces for full time, contingent workers and interns.

What has been a challenging experience within your professional journey, please explain on how you overcome that particular challenge?

What would you say is the definition of effective communication within the workplace?

Describe your professional beliefs and values?

Network with a little work

Network network network

Work didn't seem to mater
Was not doing the work I would have liked to

Know what you want and search for thag

Advice to Management

Take more input from where interns would like to be placed

Optimized Operations - Life Learning Experience

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects I worked on were challenging and enjoyable. I felt like they had a real impact and weren't just busy work that needed to get done. Also the people I had the opportunity to work with were all very smart, nice, and always willing to help me when needed.

I would've liked to

When interning for 3M, the more you put into your job the more you will get out of it. If you come into work every day ready to advance your projects, learn from coworkers, and are ambitious at your job, then you will come out with a great experience that prepares you for future employment whether it be at 3M or another company

Impactful, interesting work with the support of a great group of people.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work was interesting, the people were great

There is nothing that I would change

You have to be a self starter here