Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

The summer I learned what they can't teach you in school

Irvine, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, hours, people, resources

Lack of field mentor to report to

This experience will be one with many highs and lows. Just know that every sales rep goes through them. They teach you how to dig deep into question in school but what they don't teach you is how to dig deep into yourself to stay motivated and positive. They don't teach you how to handle hearing "no" for the majority of the days in your week. However, if you can steel yourself against this refine your presentation and keep going, there isn't anything that can stop you.

Advice to Management

The only qualm I have is that I wish there was a way to get both OCSD interns on the same platform for selling. Either Core 4 or Prevention. This way during the 3 days of training it can be tailored to specifically setting the interns up for success sooner rather than later.

- Why do you want to work for 3M?
- What do you know about 3M?
- Tell me a time when you had to balance a lot and still produce results.

Great opportunity to grow yourself and experience 3M and the Twin Cities.

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for networking and discovering the company and the surrounding area. Ability to learn about all the different areas within 3M. Housing is taken care of so you don't have to worry about finding a place and people to room with-puts the interns together and provides a great social atmosphere outside of work.

Housing. The fact that 3M takes care of organizing and subsidizes the housing for us is great, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. However, the location (Stadium View Apts in Minneapolis) leaves a LOT to be desired. Very poor management and maintenance. Also, the R&D division's intern program needs completely revamped. They are very wishy washy when discussing potential future employment with 3M, and in the last week they finally let everyone know that they aren't really hiring interns. At least not under grad. They either need to make this extremely clear up front that they only hire PhD students, or cut their intern pool in half. Currently, 60 interns is way too many given the number of jobs they have open.

If you're looking at any division at 3M except R&D, I highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunity to work at 3M! BT&IT is phenomenal, and Corporate Engineering is great too. R&D more than likely will not give you a full-time offer unless youre a PhD student, so use it as a resume builder if nothing else. The atmosphere and the surrounding area at 3M and the Twin Cities is second to none, and I can't recommend the pair enough.

Advice to Management

A lot of what 3M does is top of the line. Benefits are great. Hours are manageable. Employee growth programs are great. Again, full time opportunities for R&D interns is severely lacking, so that needs to be fixed.

N/a

Project Engineering - Fostering Innovation through Proper Management

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

A lot of professional development and networking opportunities. Exposure to many different projects and activities. Felt like I was completing meaningful work during my time here.

Not a lot of autonomy.

The Midwest is known for being friendly- and so is 3M. 3Mers will welcome you in with open arms and really set you up for success if you have the dedication and the desire to do well. There are a lot of different programs for employees to be involved in that foster leadership and growth within or outside of the company.

Advice to Management

For interns- compensation should be based on how much school/ internships they have completed. I am in a 5 year program and was paid much less than fellow interns in the same spot as me- but I had completed more schooling and internships than they have.

Tell me about a time you've had to deal with a difficult person? Tell me about a time a project wasn't going your way, how did you deal with that? Tell me about a time you've worked in a large team?

Unlocking the door to your career.

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the culture, and the opportunities that are available to you.

I was placed in inside sales. I was hoping for outside and it was hard for me to sit at a desk all day every day. It was easy to get bored but I found ways to mix up what I was doing.

You must be 100% open to relocation. Chances are you will not be in your home state for the internship and you especially won't be if you get offered a full time position. If you're not willing to leave home, then 3M is not for you.

An Insightful Experience that Ignites Personal Growth and Professional Development

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship allowed me to better understand 3M company culture and operations. In addition, I have had the opportunity to establish meaningful relationships with both 3M full time employees as well as other interns.

The housing was my least favorite part about the internship. I felt like interns were paying a large portion of money to live in a sub-par apartment facility with unhelpful staff.

Networking with other 3M employees and conducting informational interviews is essential to a successful and efficient project. Do not be afraid to reach out to people for help if you are confused because it is the best way to meet others as well as establish a future within 3M.

Advice to Management

3M would have a better, more competitive internship program if they subsidized housing costs more and put interns in a better facility.

-Tell me about a time when you failed to complete an assignment, task or deadline and how did you learn from that experience?
-Tell me about a time when you were leading a group and someone was not pulling their weight, how did you handle the situation?
-Tell me about a time when you made an unpopular decision for the betterment of a situation, person, task, etc. How did you get people on board with your decision?

I leaned how compliance works at a large corporation and how it operates

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment was the best part for me. Besides being extremely friendly, everybody is working on something interesting and genuinely wants to tell you about it.

Some of the work I did became monotonous - especially near he end of the internship.

I would get to know as many people as possible across all the facets of your division. This helps you get the big picture of 3M and how all the different organizational pieces fit together.

It's hard work. But they pay you well.

Orlando, FL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The location. The people. Some people.

The people. The culture seems very cold, where there's really no character to the company. Everyone seems to carry on a thick hided mask as they parade themselves from 8-4 with an overbearing sense of professionalism. The gaps between millennials and prior generations really start to show themselves as interactions progress. It is amazing to see the differences in our internship vs everyone else's in Minneapolis as they enjoy their internship a lot more. Also training days where way too long. Not only did you have a full day from 8-5. But you also had to attend dinners from 6-8. putting in exhausting 12+ hour work days. Leaving little time to have your own life while there. Headquarters was bad. But outside reps that are exposed to a lot of different people are what makes it all worth it, as they bring the character to the company. Again, they were not in headquarters.

Get used to a cold culture. make your own fun.

Advice to Management

More Diversity.

Amazing first internship experience where I was able to gain so much valuable knowledge.

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to meet all of the other interns in the O2 program. With all of us being at different plants throughout the summer it was really interesting to get their perspectives on their specific plants and projects. I also really enjoyed the fast paced environment that you experience in a plant setting.

I would have liked to have more day to day tasks to keep me more busy.

I loved working for 3M. 3M has such an amazing work environment and everyone you meet is super friendly and helpful. There are many opportunities to explore different businesses and products which I really liked because you aren't "stuck" forever in your one position. Highly recommend taking a job with this amazing company.

Best MBA leadership development internship program at a Fortune 500 company.

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The caliber of support and development opportunities available during the internship was excellent. There also was a strong emphasis on networking, so I had time to make connections and learn about other parts of the business. 3M sponsors many opportunities for interns to get to know the area and enjoy our free time in the area. Also, I worked on projects that were mission critical for my clients, so there was immediate action to implement recommendations, even before I finished the internship.

We had multiple issues with the subsidized housing program, which detracted from the Twin Cities living experience. There were times when it wasn't completely clear whether I was on track with expectations for progress on my projects, but in the end, it all came together as expected.

3M covers a vast range of industries and provides opportunities for a diverse career path. The internship and subsequent full-time strategy and marketing development program are a launch pad for a clear understanding of 3M from a strategic perspective in order to become a general manager/marketer within a business. The challenges within 3M are those typical of a 100-year-old company. It's large and takes time to make any change at an organizational level. At the same time, 3M products are backed by a depth of scientific knowledge that leads to superior quality that you can be proud to sell.

Advice to Management

3M received the Catalyst award for progress in promoting women's leadership, but that progress seems uneven across the business groups. There are still places where women do not feel they can advance and where the attitudes that lead to promotions are not inclusive. 3M needs to tackle those issues to continue attracting diverse talent.
3M does not use 360 feedback. The lack of accountability for interaction with direct reports and with peers does not encourage growth in leadership behaviors among upper-level managers.

How many buildings are there in X city?

Learning experince

Networking and career exploration

Felt like I was on an island from the other interns. My functional role didn't allow me to be in one specific group.

Not sure how to answer this question.

Advice to Management

More effective communication and clearer instructions.

Tell me a time when you saw a 3M product in your daily lives and what you used it for.