Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

Internship of a Young Lifetime

Saint Paul, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

How much I was able to learn and how generous and willing to help the people around me were.

There were not many interns in my immediate area.

Apply to as many positions here as possible. You want to be here.

Advice to Management

N/A

N/A

Treated Like a Full-Timer with All of the Perks of Being an Intern

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Fantastic exposure to the company! Company culture is amazing as full-time managers, even directors, are available to meet and help you. Intern events were plentiful, beneficial, and fun. You were given real responsibilities and projects that were actually used. Lots of interns that you lived with and got to know well. City of Minneapolis is a sweet place to spend the summer!

Being in a corporate setting means things don't move as quickly. We couldn't move as quickly to production on one of our projects as we would have liked to.

The company culture is phenomenal! Full-time managers and directors will take time out of their day to meet with you and help you on your career journey. You will be doing work on which a full-timer would be working. You will get exposure to many areas of the company, from manufacturing to IT to management to finance to others.

Advice to Management

Offer more than two weeks of vacation time to new employees.

Not very technical questions. A lot of general interview questions.

Freedom to do what you want

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Got to work on my own project

Didn't get to see the manufacturing side of things

Know excel

Challenging but rewarding.

Seattle, WA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Travel, people, benefits, company culture.

Nothing, I enjoyed everything except that I have to go back to school still.

Step outside of your comfort zone and have fun!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Why sales?

Why you and not the other applicants?

Tell me about 3M.

Great learning experience

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The great people I was able to work with on my projects.

The computer set up took a bit of time.

The culture is very inviting. You will feel comfortable asking questions.

The 3M internship experience was overwhelmingly positive. Amazing people, many opportunities, and interesting work.

Saint Paul, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Emphasis on building my network and getting to know all opportunities available to me, getting full responsibility of many projects and using them to learn the company's processes, fun events put on for interns and employees.

Could have taken on even more responsibilities. I understand why they didn't give me more projects, however - the internship wasn't only about learning how to do the work, it was really about finding my best fit within the company.

Be passionate about SOMETHING and be good at what you do. If you are both talented and passionate, 3M will work as hard as they can to find you a position that suits you.

Typical "tell me about yourself" questions - they wanted to get to know me and what I'm really passionate about. Felt more like a conversation than an interview.

The Best Internship EVER!!

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility to explore different positions.

Open door policy with management and directors is truly open door.

Employees' willingness to help.

Mentor was very helpful, but did not allow me to branch out as much as I could have. I spoke with her about it and I have been able to achieve that ability.

At 3M the employees have the ability to drive their career to as far as they are willing to go. Relocation should be an option to gain the proper experience to sit in one of the director or VP chairs.

Advice to Management

More employee activities.

Name a time when you had an assignment and something went wrong, what did you do and how did you solve it?

Opportunity to Expand and Develop Skills

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, Development of self and skills

I would prefer a different apartment company.

If you are looking for a great company to begin your career, 3M is that company. There are endless opportunities to expand your skills and network with people across many functions. 3M values their employees and makes sure that you feel challenged in your responsibilities and supported.

What is your dream job?

When have you had a challenging experience?

Excellent Project Management Experience

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

People I worked with and the guidance with future career planning.

Projects were really challenging but not super complex. Would have been nice to get in on a larger project and see how it's handled from approval to installation.

Great culture, and everyone wants to see you succeed. You never have to worry about being in competition with everyone else, because you will have the opportunity to do the same when you're ready.

Advice to Management

No comment. Great place to work!

I don't remember. I feel like they were pretty standard behavioral based questions.

Accelorate, Collaborate, and Innovate with a Diverse group stiving towards common goals and achieving success

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Diversity, Networking, Innovation, Collaboration, Freedom, Difficult yet fair, Thought Provoking. Those are just some of the words that looking back on the internship I would say are some of the best aspects. Working here I always felt that I had the opportunity to learn and continue to grow. Simply being able to see, experience, and learn is what I wanted in an internship and I got that.

There really wasn't anything that I did not like. Possibly the housing situation could be improved.

Besides the pros listed above the connections that you are able to make is huge. Network, network, and network some more because it is an integral aspect of the hiring process and success down the road.

Advice to Management

The only suggestion that I would make, and they are already aware of this is some of the technical training could improve. This is hard though because technically there is so much that needs to be trained on at times. Thus its a game of management wants individuals to be trained faster and understand the training more, but the only true way of fully understanding the training is going out and doing those specific tasks, making mistakes, and learning from them.

Honestly I cant really remember the exact questions, but they revolved around problem solving, individual and group leadership, as well as personal aspirations. For my program they wanted to get to know the individual more than quizzing them on their technical background.