3M Internships

VAULT RANKINGS >> #10 Best Engineering Internships

Control Systems & Electrical Engineering Intern

Culture and flexibility of the management, very nice people, extremely competent co-workers

~!@#$%^&*()

An internship with 3M is like having one main internship with a dozen side internships with other parts of the organization. Do it!

A Broad Horizon of Opportunity

The full-time exposure you are able to receive as an intern. You are treated as a sales-rep, not as an "intern". As a Frontline intern, you are getting experience that very few people in college are given the opportunity to receive.

There are obviously positives and negatives that come with every job. The only times that were frustrating were when I did not have any sales calls planned for the day, and clients were slow to responde to emails or phone calls. Other than that, mostly everythin was enjoyable.

Take initiative, and ask for more responsibility if you want to make the most out of this internship. Continue to be a life-long learner.

Advice to Management

Nothing. All positive.

Date: 2013

3M Frontline Sales Internship gives interns real life experience and grooms for full-time job and success

Great compensation, real life experience, extreme independence, hands-on and thorough training

No control over location or which division

Treated as a sales rep, not an intern

great

playing games on my phone most of the day

playing games on my phone most of the day

do your best or get screwed

Date: 2013

The application of foundational Chemistry research into industrial products.

- Worked independently - Easy access to expert scientists - Intellectual environment

- There was nothing wrong with my internship experience

Don't worry about not knowing anything. Everyone at the company is well trained in their respective specialties and are more than willing to share their knowledge.

Advice to Management

The organization has plenty of benefits and good compensation for all employees. In addition, the organization likes to hire individuals with advanced degrees (masters & PhD), especially in the STEM fields. People with only bachelors degreees can still be hired though.

Date: 2013

Develop a testing method for non-woven abrasives to measure surface finish

Nearly 75% of my time was spent doing hands on testing of abrasives and construction of testing platforms. I really love being able to work with my hands.

Parts of my job were a bit repetitive but it was necessary.

3M has the best company culture of any company I've ever been with and they have a job for nearly everyone doing almost anything.

Advice to Management

My managers were excellent. I have no criticisms to give.

Best Experience Ever!!!

Learning about the organization and how it's structured. Challenging yet feasible work assignments and projects. Collaborating with other employees and availability of key figures/stakeholders. Intern Events!!!

The process used to extend full time job offers at the end of the internship was very awkward and confusing.

Attend all the intern events, network with anyone and everyone - inside and outside your area, be honest about your capabilities/interests/skills, meet with your supervisor/advisors often and discuss your career plan.

Advice to Management

Streamline the full time position interviewing process and re-think the way in which you extend full time offers to the interns.

Date: 2013

Amazing chance to apply my schooling.

The collaboration with experienced engineers

I didn't have any dislikes.

Be shameless in your networking. Setup informational interviews with every manerger, tech director and VP you can. You can be the best intern ever but if nobody knows that you're there you will not get the job.

Advice to Management

Make summer hours flexible.

Date: 2013

Your chance to a great opportunity

The best aspect was that you are able to branch out in your own field; exposing you to different situations so that you can determine what you like/dislike, and what your limitations are

I did not have a car and the location was further away than I expected, which made me limited me to network in other possible areas of interest.

I am not sure how to answer this question

Date: 2013

A fantastic learning experience including work on highly relevant real-world problems and products.

-Flexible hours -Freedom to take your own approach to solving problems/experiment -Access to just about any facility/tool you could possibly need -Great group of people to work with and around -Real-world projects/problems- at least I could see that what I was working on would be turned into a marketable project in the near future -I got input on what project I'd like to work on -No excessive hand-holding, but resources are always available

It's hard to find much to complain about, though orientation seemed excessively long (at least it was only one day)

It may just have been my particular project, but you might feel like you got thrown into the ocean- there's so much stuff to pick up on, and you get to jump into doing real work immediately. That may or may not suit you; I found it to be fantastic, much better than being bored for a week waiting for things to really get started.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints. Being paid more would always be acceptable, though the pay is definitely on par with the rest of the industry. Hours are already flexible... Merit-based promotion policies seem reasonable to me.