Intern at 3M Internship Program? Submit a Review

Experience Technologies, Networking, and Community at 3M

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

great experience, many opportunities to get to know the company and the surrounding community

wish I had more projects

ask about day to day activities for your position

Situational questions such as tell me a time where you had to be a leader

An educational and beneficial summer well-spent

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was very welcoming and encouraging

I fully enjoyed my internship exerience

always try your best

Designer grows more than ever working in the field

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the culture, the work, the work/life balance, the opportunities for growth

It can be challenging to be a designer in a corporate workplace because sometimes people do not value design as a business strategy like they should. Sometimes you have to push through blocks and hurdles working with other employees outside of design.

I wish I would have realized how much the company values digital design and I would have taken a class on that before.

Advice to Management

I think communication could be improved with the hiring process. It's difficult to manage budget and timing, however I wonder if there would solutions to letting interns know sooner if they can be hired.

Why does design exist?

Why did you choose that color?

Great experience, Good people.

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the work I did over the summer and the people I met as well. Everyone was very helpful and welcoming toward me.

I disliked the intern poster session. I did not feel that it was beneficial to networking.

I didn't know I would be placed in a manufacturing facility so going into the internship that would have been nice!

3M: Where Students Are Encouraged to Innovate and Grow

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having a career mentor and peer mentor, working on a functional team doing impactful work, working with other interns, and being able to develop a plethora of skills

Wish holidays were paid

The benefits of the internship could be promoted even more to potential candidates; while most people know 3M as a great and prestigious company, the benefits of being an intern should be shown to potential interns, as well as the fact that 3M mostly hires internally (at least for BT/IT) and being an intern helps greatly in obtaining a full time job with 3M.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to be paid for holidays so interns don't have to make up so many hours if they'd like to have that time made up. Also, reimbursement for gas would be nice for interns who aren't living in housing as 3M does not have to pay for their housing anyways.

Tell me about your resume. What is your work experience like? What do you enjoy doing in your free time? Why would you like to work at 3M?

Exceptional Experience as a Optimize Operations Intern

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation
Experience
Networking

Having to ask for more work rather than having it available already

Opportunities

Advice to Management

The advice that I have is to work with people more and get them into the system to make the transition into work more smoothly. It was a pain when I first starting getting access to the correct documents and networks, they had my start date wrong, and wasn't sure if I should use the time clock or not.

How did you deal with conflict?
What are your 3 year goals?
Describe a situation where you had an obstacle, and how you overcame it?

Characterization of chemical raction kinetics.

Saint Paul, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great, multifaceted project that developed many different skills.

Nothing, it was great.

When people get jobs here, they generally stay. It is easy to move around to many different businesses and products while still staying within 3M. However, with less turnover that means getting a job initially is hard.

A once in a lifetime experience

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were learning so much and working with state-of-the-art technology. I was able to make huge impacts while there and, met some amazing people. It was incredible working for such a huge company and working on huge projects for them.

The training was probably my least favorite thing to do, but we have to do it (and need to).

I wish I would have known a little more about what my plant specifically makes, but I learned so much while there that it really wasn't a big deal.

Advice to Management

I have no advice.

Best sales internship program!!!

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience, opportunity for growth, opportunity to prove yourself, networking opportunities, I met so many other interns who I am friends with now, subsidized housing, car rental, mentorship program.

I had a wonderful experience, don't have anything negative to say.

Got for it!! As soon as you are in your territory, get in front of the end user. The sooner, the more sales you will get.

Advice to Management

Most people are not told where they will end up going if they accept their full time offer until a couple of weeks before they start. This makes a lot of people nervous. I think that if 3M can at least say "these are five cities where you can potentially end up" then that would put a lot of people at ease.

If you could describe yourself in three words what would they be and why?
Why 3M?

3M: An Industrial Chemist Kickstarter

Austin, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt I was very fairly compensated for my work. All of my coworkers (supervisor, manager, others) were very friendly and supportive in my learning. I never felt too much pressure or stress.

I wish there had been other interns working in R&D in EMD as well. The Austin interns all had different positions in different divisions so it was harder to connect at first.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or for things you want. If you never ask, you'll never know.

Advice to Management

None! Management was great.