Intern at 3M Student Programs? Submit a Review

Amazing chance to apply my schooling.

Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The collaboration with experienced engineers

I didn't have any dislikes.

Be shameless in your networking. Setup informational interviews with every manerger, tech director and VP you can. You can be the best intern ever but if nobody knows that you're there you will not get the job.

Advice to Management

Make summer hours flexible.

A fantastic learning experience including work on highly relevant real-world problems and products.

-Flexible hours

-Freedom to take your own approach to solving problems/experiment

-Access to just about any facility/tool you could possibly need

-Great group of people to work with and around

-Real-world projects/problems- at least I could see that what I was working on would be turned into a marketable project in the near future

-I got input on what project I'd like to work on

-No excessive hand-holding, but resources are always available

It's hard to find much to complain about, though orientation seemed excessively long (at least it was only one day)

It may just have been my particular project, but you might feel like you got thrown into the ocean- there's so much stuff to pick up on, and you get to jump into doing real work immediately. That may or may not suit you; I found it to be fantastic, much better than being bored for a week waiting for things to really get started.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints. Being paid more would always be acceptable, though the pay is definitely on par with the rest of the industry. Hours are already flexible... Merit-based promotion policies seem reasonable to me.

Incredible opportunity to develop real-world software engineering skills.

Salt Lake City, UT | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to learn new skills and obtain real world experience in software engineering. Management and team colleagues were extremely helpful. I was able to see a project through beginning to end. 3M's culture is incredibly supportive.

Not really anything. It has been a great experience.

If you are looking for a challenging yet supportive software engineering internship where you can gain new skills, 3M HIS is definitely an excellent placement.

Firmware Updates and Associated .NET applications; What a learning experience!

Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given real work, instead of busy work or mindless testing. I felt that my contributions were important. The team I worked with was great and always willing to help. Everyone was very friendly.

Sometimes I had nothing to do and no one had any work for me. I also barely saw my boss, and did not develop a strong relationship with him.

3M is a great place to work, but it is difficult to get a job here if you don't know someone. Reach out to full time employees so you can develop a strong network here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and make sure you ask for work when you have nothing to do!

Advice to Management

Management was good. The only thing is that I did not get a chance to get to know my boss, unfortunately.

Your chance to a great opportunity

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was that you are able to branch out in your own field; exposing you to different situations so that you can determine what you like/dislike, and what your limitations are

I did not have a car and the location was further away than I expected, which made me limited me to network in other possible areas of interest.

I am not sure how to answer this question

Control Systems & Electrical Engineering Intern

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture and flexibility of the management, very nice people, extremely competent co-workers

~!@#$%^&*()

An internship with 3M is like having one main internship with a dozen side internships with other parts of the organization. Do it!

Best Experience Ever!!!

Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning about the organization and how it's structured. Challenging yet feasible work assignments and projects. Collaborating with other employees and availability of key figures/stakeholders. Intern Events!!!

The process used to extend full time job offers at the end of the internship was very awkward and confusing.

Attend all the intern events, network with anyone and everyone - inside and outside your area, be honest about your capabilities/interests/skills, meet with your supervisor/advisors often and discuss your career plan.

Advice to Management

Streamline the full time position interviewing process and re-think the way in which you extend full time offers to the interns.

great

Davenport, IA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

playing games on my phone most of the day

playing games on my phone most of the day

do your best or get screwed

A Broad Horizon of Opportunity

Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The full-time exposure you are able to receive as an intern. You are treated as a sales-rep, not as an "intern". As a Frontline intern, you are getting experience that very few people in college are given the opportunity to receive.

There are obviously positives and negatives that come with every job. The only times that were frustrating were when I did not have any sales calls planned for the day, and clients were slow to responde to emails or phone calls. Other than that, mostly everythin was enjoyable.

Take initiative, and ask for more responsibility if you want to make the most out of this internship. Continue to be a life-long learner.

Advice to Management

Nothing. All positive.

Develop a testing method for non-woven abrasives to measure surface finish

Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Nearly 75% of my time was spent doing hands on testing of abrasives and construction of testing platforms. I really love being able to work with my hands.

Parts of my job were a bit repetitive but it was necessary.

3M has the best company culture of any company I've ever been with and they have a job for nearly everyone doing almost anything.

Advice to Management

My managers were excellent. I have no criticisms to give.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)