Intern at The Cambridge Group Consultant Intern? Submit a Review

I gained real-world consulting experience, working with smart and fun people on an interesting client problem.

Chicago, IL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone at TCG was invested in my success and looking out for my best interests.

The hours can occasionally be long, but this varies from one project to the next.

Get to know everything you can about the type of consulting work you'll be doing. The Cambridge Group offers an opportunity to do the best type of consulting ... growth strategy. If you want to do projects other than growth strategy, this is probably not the right place for you.

Perfect for people pursuing marketing strategy

Pay
Work life balance
Clients/project types

Manager was inexperienced managing people

Analytics experience
Cpg/retail background

Advice to Management

Focus on development and internal culture

Challenging work but great opportunities to succeed, both short and long term

Chicago, IL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that the internship has been truly representative of what my experience as a full time employee would be like, coupled with the challenging yet rewarding work, have been the best aspects of the internship.

The only con is that I have received limited direction at times, which has actually proven to be a positive (I have been able to try out different approaches and demonstrate my unique perspectives without being potentially biased from the outset). But, generally, more direction could be helpful, particularly as an intern.

The opportunities at TCG are wonderful, but understand that it is not for everyone -- it just happens to be a great fit for me. From what I have experienced, given the small size of the firm, it is critical to be comfortable with ambiguity and in working on diverse teams, while also being willing to conduct independent analysis that will be shared with a wide audience.

Atypical case interview process (case presentations, "off-the-cuff" cases with partners). Only one case felt like the "standard" case that you would see with other firms.

Genuine work experience

Chicago, IL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Truly understanding what my experience would be if I were to join full time.

With only 10 weeks, it's difficult to ever feel fully up to speed.

Don't be afraid to ask difficult questions either as a candidate or as an intern. TCG appreciates curiosity and people will offer their honest responses.

Growth strategy in consumer-facing industries with immediate chance to contribute

Chicago, IL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Team members are all intelligent and, more importantly, very friendly. The work is high level strategy and focused on growth and finding untapped demand, exactly as advertised. The smaller size of the firm meant that interns had the chance to step up and contribute right away, which was great. TCG also provided a strong support structure between assigning a buddy and a mentor, along with informal lunches and events - something nearly every week.

Hours were occasionally long, but very reasonable on the whole. I had less client interaction than I would have liked ideally, but that definitely varies by project. No big complaints.

Talk to current employees to really understand the culture and the common types of work/clients/industries.

Strategy consulting in consumer-focused boutique firm.

Chicago, IL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to participate fully on project teams and really get an idea of what it's like to work for the company. Really engaging projects and smart, talented co-workers without as much travel as other places.

It's still consulting at the end of the day...we work hard!

Get to know us! We're very transparent and will tell you anything.

Advice to Management

One thing I like about TCG is that it constantly strives to improve. I"m able to share ideas big and small with management on a regular basis, so no need to repeat here.

Fairly standard consulting questions. Be prepared to talk to your interest in the specific type of work we do (CPG, retail, consumer services etc...).

Learn how to grow companies by taking a strategic and data driven approach to the consumer lens

Chicago, IL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

the industries we work in are interesting as they are all consumer goods/retail

the firm does not actually depict what life will be like when you actually join the firm

it is a good firm to start your career

Advice to Management

The corporate culture is a little weird . People pretend to be friendly but are actually rather polarizing. The firm has a significant issue with female retention - there is only 1 full-time working mother at the firm. The promotion policy was not accurately communicated when we joined the firm and extended once we joined the firm.

An intellectually engaging summer with a brainy and fun team of collegues

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

- I learned something new everyday and was given the opportunity to take ownership my own workstreams
- Inviting culture from the top down

- It would have been nice to have more client exposure, but TCG isn't a travelling firm, so the flip side of this was actually positive because I didn't have to travel

- If you're a self-starter who is intellectually curious, enjoy solving complicated problems, and interested in consumer-centric growth strategy, TCG will be a good fit for you. You'll learn a lot in your internship.

An extremely challenging and rewarding experience that gives a good taste of what it would be full-time as a consultant

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was confirming that I wanted to do consulting and that I had found a firm that was a great fit to do that at.

I really had a great experience, no complaints

Culture is really important at such a small firm, so meet as many people as you can when you are assessing if TCG is the right place for you.

Excellent experience -- top notch colleagues and clients as well as significant responsibilities.

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Highly intelligent and down to earth coworkers.
-Interesting work if you like marketing and CPG.
-Generally great quality of life, but hours can be unpredictable.

-No significant complaints.

This is a truly unique consulting firm. The combination of no/low travel model, collegial environment, and blue chip clients is very compelling.