Cambridge Group MBA Summer Internship Program

Best MBA Internship Possible
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everything, the work, the clients, the work/life balance

Sometimes the hours are unpredictable, but not completely unexpected since it's consulting

If you want to work on growth strategy issues only, this is the place to be

Great learning experience with amazing colleagues
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people because they are open, honest and committed to their teams and the company as a whole. The firm size makes it easy to quickly learn about people on a personal level.

Because I was on projects for a short period of time, I felt that at times my tasks were not exactly what a full-time consultant would be doing.

Great if you want to focus at consulting from the consumer demand perspective and have a passion for marketing.

A fun, challenging, and hands-on opportunity to help push forward a company's growth strategy
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was important to me for the internship to be an accurate reflection of what working at TCG would be like, I wanted to know what I was potentially getting into! I really liked that the internship was real work, solving real client problems. I was given responsibility and ownership of my work and was able to get a great feel for what working for TCG full-time would be like.

I really didn't dislike anything about the internship, I had a great experience, and was thrilled to receive and accept a full-time offer.

TCG has the benefits of a small firm (e.g. ability to interact with top management, tight knit relationships with colleagues across levels), and has the client base that you would expect to see at a large firm (e.g. fortune 100 companies). Additionally, TCG's relationship with Nielsen (Nielsen owns TCG), gives us access to data and insights for our clients that are really unmatched at other firms.

It's true that there is a consulting firm out there that has minimal travel, great people, cool projects, pays well.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, work, hours, and location. Cambridge loves having interns and I felt it during my time here.

It is hard to join a firm and get a project assignment that is already well underway. This is not the firms fault but it is critical to be flexible and ramp up quickly.

Everyone knows everyone so making an effort with the firm is crucial during the recruiting process. You need to understand that this is not a typical consulting firm so joining Cambridge instead of the big 3 is not a 1:1 swap.

Talk about previous work experience, know who you are interviewing with and the type of work they do, strengths/weakesses, growth strategy cases

Advice to Management

N/A

Great 10-Week Consulting Internship Trial
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on projects that mattered and would affect the client's top line growth, access to firm's partners and high-level clients, great work-life balance (esp for consulting), working on TOP-LINE strategy issues only, small entrepreneurial office environment, office-based consulting where you actually get to know the other consultants and partners much better

If I had to be really picky, I would say management communication could be even better.

If you're considering either a strategy consulting or even a general marketing role, I would put The Cambridge Group in the top of your internship and full-time recruiting short list.

Developing strategic insights for clients based on data driven consumer demand analysis
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work life balance: limited travel, office culture and open atmosphere. High-level strategic assignments; no boring process improvement or operations cost-cutting work

Unstructured and informal feedback process throughout internship. Assessment of my potential for full-time hire seemed very informal and vague

Be sure that you're comfortable with a small-office atmosphere that is still relatively unstructured in a lot of process / procedure

Advice to Management

More formal and often internship and employee review, feedback, goal-setting, etc.

-High visibility strategy consulting with marketing leading clients and great opportunities for growth
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

- I was given the opportunity to take on significant positions in my project work

- I had the opportunity to work with several people on more than one project

- Interns were engaged in all internal activities and communication

- Interns had the opportunity to interact with firm leadership consistently

- Interns were supported with several mentors (at different levels in the firm)

- Nothing comes to mind which is why I took the offer!

- From my 10 week internship I can tell that TCG is a place you can succeed if you develop goals for yourself and put forward the effort needed to achieve those goals. You can't work at TCG on autopilot while expecting others to guide your way; if you do you won't succeed.

Most of the benefits of consulting without the majority of the drawbacks.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Consistently interesting projects, enjoyable office environment, good work-life balance, personalized attention from the firm.

The training is not as rigorous as I expected. That said, I'm still learning a ton.

Cambridge does high-level strategy projects that you might do at a bigger firm but with many advantages of a small firm environment (personal attention, better work-life balance, friendly office culture, good opportunities for advancement). The new CEO is implementing many changes that make me feel like the firm is on an upward trajectory.

Advice to Management

I think there could be more opportunity for training and skills development, whether individually or at the different levels. There could be options for on-line or in-person modules.

Great people, exciting, strategic work for brands and products that everyone is familiar with
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the work/life balance

Feedback could be more frequent and structured; some of the administrative processes don't function so smoothly

TCG does a lot of strategic work for great clients. They place a premium on quantitative proficiency and focus on evaluating it during the internship.

Advice to Management

Spend a bit more time developing interns and new hires

Focus on growth strategy with an organization that cares enough about your development to continually challenge you
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people (cliche...but very true)

The work (focusing on consumer demand to determine growth strategies for clients)

The balance (everyone works incredibly hard, but a work/life balance can and is achieved by many at TCG)

There was a bit of turnover during my internship (not something that would happen all the time so this is not something I would be too concerned about for the future), which was a little disruptive.

TCG primarily focuses on growth strategy, so make sure that is an area you are excited about. TCG is also interested in developing people for the long haul, so if you are looking for a 2-year consulting stint it is probably not the right place for you. If you're looking for an unpretentious, supportive, and challenging environment then TCG is a great place to work.