Intern at The Cambridge Group Consultant Intern? Submit a Review

An intellectually engaging summer with a brainy and fun team of collegues

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

- I learned something new everyday and was given the opportunity to take ownership my own workstreams
- Inviting culture from the top down

- It would have been nice to have more client exposure, but TCG isn't a travelling firm, so the flip side of this was actually positive because I didn't have to travel

- If you're a self-starter who is intellectually curious, enjoy solving complicated problems, and interested in consumer-centric growth strategy, TCG will be a good fit for you. You'll learn a lot in your internship.

An extremely challenging and rewarding experience that gives a good taste of what it would be full-time as a consultant

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was confirming that I wanted to do consulting and that I had found a firm that was a great fit to do that at.

I really had a great experience, no complaints

Culture is really important at such a small firm, so meet as many people as you can when you are assessing if TCG is the right place for you.

Excellent experience -- top notch colleagues and clients as well as significant responsibilities.

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Highly intelligent and down to earth coworkers.
-Interesting work if you like marketing and CPG.
-Generally great quality of life, but hours can be unpredictable.

-No significant complaints.

This is a truly unique consulting firm. The combination of no/low travel model, collegial environment, and blue chip clients is very compelling.

Amazing, high level growth strategy work for blue chip clients. Less coaching, training and other resources than larger firms

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Fairly autonomous, everyone is willing to discuss career and the firm, challenging work

Should be more strategic about placing interns with teams that have people who want to coach and help interns

talk to as many people as possible to get a true picture of the firm

Great experience with a unique management consulting firm.

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns were treated like full members of the team, so we really go to experience what TCG life is like. The office was warm and welcoming, and we knew almost everyone by the end of the summer.

The training at the time was pretty limited, but since then they have improved it substantially based on my intern classes feedback.

Ask as many questions as possible and get to know the people. Since everyone is in the office, fit is more important than at a lot of firms.

Best MBA Internship Possible

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everything, the work, the clients, the work/life balance

Sometimes the hours are unpredictable, but not completely unexpected since it's consulting

If you want to work on growth strategy issues only, this is the place to be

Great learning experience with amazing colleagues

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people because they are open, honest and committed to their teams and the company as a whole. The firm size makes it easy to quickly learn about people on a personal level.

Because I was on projects for a short period of time, I felt that at times my tasks were not exactly what a full-time consultant would be doing.

Great if you want to focus at consulting from the consumer demand perspective and have a passion for marketing.

A fun, challenging, and hands-on opportunity to help push forward a company's growth strategy

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was important to me for the internship to be an accurate reflection of what working at TCG would be like, I wanted to know what I was potentially getting into! I really liked that the internship was real work, solving real client problems. I was given responsibility and ownership of my work and was able to get a great feel for what working for TCG full-time would be like.

I really didn't dislike anything about the internship, I had a great experience, and was thrilled to receive and accept a full-time offer.

TCG has the benefits of a small firm (e.g. ability to interact with top management, tight knit relationships with colleagues across levels), and has the client base that you would expect to see at a large firm (e.g. fortune 100 companies). Additionally, TCG's relationship with Nielsen (Nielsen owns TCG), gives us access to data and insights for our clients that are really unmatched at other firms.

It's true that there is a consulting firm out there that has minimal travel, great people, cool projects, pays well.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, work, hours, and location. Cambridge loves having interns and I felt it during my time here.

It is hard to join a firm and get a project assignment that is already well underway. This is not the firms fault but it is critical to be flexible and ramp up quickly.

Everyone knows everyone so making an effort with the firm is crucial during the recruiting process. You need to understand that this is not a typical consulting firm so joining Cambridge instead of the big 3 is not a 1:1 swap.

Advice to Management

N/A

Talk about previous work experience, know who you are interviewing with and the type of work they do, strengths/weakesses, growth strategy cases

Great 10-Week Consulting Internship Trial

Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on projects that mattered and would affect the client's top line growth, access to firm's partners and high-level clients, great work-life balance (esp for consulting), working on TOP-LINE strategy issues only, small entrepreneurial office environment, office-based consulting where you actually get to know the other consultants and partners much better

If I had to be really picky, I would say management communication could be even better.

If you're considering either a strategy consulting or even a general marketing role, I would put The Cambridge Group in the top of your internship and full-time recruiting short list.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)