The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

Intellectually challenging and fulfilling work with every supportive resource to help you reach your full potential

Intellectually challenging work with real world consequences, incredible mentorship and development opportunities, great and supportive work environment with smart, caring colleagues, opportunities to interact with senior firm leadership on a daily basis, limitless learning potential

It's definitely hard work and that is sometimes exhausting.

This is a summer experience for people who want to learn, challenge themselves and are open to bettering themselves. There is also a strong element of community.

Date: 2013

BCG Summer Internships: Honesty over Selling.

The realistic nature of the work. Seeing my work presented to clients and being able to relly own my modules. The expectation for an intern is high, and they treat you like a full-time employee, making for a steep improvement in your performence in the first few weeks.

The summer experience depends heavily on the project manager and case that the intern is staffed on. Therefore, the intern must try to extrapolate an average of all the cases over the summer instead of referring to his/her own.

Find someone to trust in the company--someone who will be honest with you and walk besides you with your concerns and doubts. It makes for a much more comfortable experience.

Advice to Management

Training could be a bit more rigorous to lessen the learning curve.

Date: 2013

On your mark, get set....Go!

The people, stimulating projects, full-time responsibilities, predictable time off (PTO), team and company events

Long hours and sometimes relentless pace

The opportunities for personal development are great. The number of hours can be high.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations of long hours up front.

Date: 2013

The best training ground - rapid personal and professional development in a supportive, collaborative and fun environment

I really like the people I work with. Everyone is very friendly and supportive even if I have never spoken with him/her before. I know that I can walk into anyone's office and ask them a quick question and they would never say no. I also like how exciting the job is. They know what I'm capable of doing and slowly pushes me by giving me challenges that I can handle. A lot of this job is on-the-job mentorship and training, which BCG does really well. We are also encouraged to meet senior people in the company. The summer class is very close-knit - we hang out during summer activities hosted by BCG but also host our own activities together outside of work. Feedback is highly valued in this company and is one of the main ingredients for the huge learning curve on the job.

A huge group of summer interns started on the same date making it hard for everyone to get staffed on a case on day 1. I would like to have more oversight on what I would be working on. I also think we have really good exposure / opportunities to meet senior people, but would also like to get to know more associates and consultants.

1. BCG truly likes to help each other. It is a very supportive culture and everyone helps each other even if he/she is very busy. Rarely anyone says no when asked for help. 2. BCG consultants and office assistants appreciate each other. Consultants are encouraged to get to know office assistants as well in addition to meeting other consultants at the company. 3. BCG strongly emphasizes feedback. You need to be able to take feedback and act upon feedback in order to succeed. There will always be room for improvements. 4. You will always be on your feet. BCG never lets you feel too comfortable - they will always give you something that will push you a little further.

Advice to Management

Possibly include some training throughout the summer. The days of training in the beginning was helpful, except it was hard to understand how it applies to the job until you start working on a case.

Date: 2013

Amazing learning experience, got everything I wished for and more

People, challenge, fun.

I didn't like the LA traffic so much

Demanding job, challenging and requires a lot of soft skills.

Date: 2013

A snapshot of the education you'll receive as a management consultant, with the social support network to help you transition

The reality of my case experience, the sense of ownership I felt over my work, and the social connections the company helped facilitate

Most interns, including myself, were only exposed to one case experience--would be nice if timing worked out to get multiple, shorter experiences

This is definitely the best job you can have as a 22-year-old, and starting as an intern softens the transition to an extremely challenging profession

Date: 2013

Challenging and rewarding, with incredible responsibilities and opportunities from day one.

Getting to really dig into what consulting is like on a day-to-day basis

The specific project that I was working on

BCG is an incredibly well-run organization: everything from training to feedback to work environment is extremely polished. I have yet to work in an environment as impressive as this one.

Date: 2013

Wonderful opportunities #1 consulting firm in terms of culture and work-life balance

Social events and networking

Unpredictability of travel

If you get through the grueling process, enjoy the ride

A

After work events, intern retreat

Not sure how late we will end each night

Meet as many people w/in the firm as possible!

Date: 2013

Excellent introduction to consulting and life at BCG

all employees caring a lot about the interns intern events

Nothing in particular comes to mind

Getting to know the people is the best way to get a good feel for the company and what it is about.