The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

MBA student learns more than she thought possible in just a 10-week internship
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helpfulness of fellow coworkers; autonomy; challenging work that had meaning to the business

I was staffed on an unconventional independent project so I did not have the benefit of sharing ideas with a case team

The firm truly values its interns and makes you feel like a part of the team. The work is rewarding and serves as an incredible learning experience. Not to mention that the people are incredible and you want to work with them every day.

Intellectually challenging work, supported by a great team
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intellectual rigor, caliber of people, and teaming.

Working with ambiguity was challenging at first.

Fit with both management consulting and the distinct culture of the organization is critical to whether or not you will be happy in the job.

BCG: where people are more invested in your growth and happiness than even you are
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, including mentorship, quality, and affability; work-life balance (I never worked more than 55 hours in a week, and start time was flexible); high-quality experience (working for a Fortune 50 client in the precise industry and function I requested) and client exposure; generous compensation, expense policy, and office space; many activities for interns to get to know each other, the office, and the city

We at times had unpredictable work demands, but never on two consecutive days.

Try to meet a few BCGers before applying. You'll know whether it's a fit or not. Each company has a distinct personality. Make sure you know who you are and what you want, and be able to explain how BCG fits into that.

Why consulting? Why BCG?

Great learning and people.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great learning and people.

No personal life during weekdays.

Be yourself, and be social.

Steep learning curve but a very rewarding experience
Toronto | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Lots of great social events to get to know both the full-timers and the other interns

-Firm worked hard to give a "real" case experience so that I could get a good idea of what I'd be signing on for in the long-run

-Continuous real-time feedback helped me learn tons throughout the summer

Originally wasn't a huge fan of the industry I was working in but the case turned out to be really interesting regardless.

Speak up early and often -- you'll be expected to contribute your ideas right away

BCG summer internship: A choose-your-own-high-powered-analysis-and-engaging-teamwork adventure
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The personal, professional, and project support were beyond anything I'd seen before. Anything you wanted was at your disposal. The partners were fantastic: personable, nice, insightful, engaged, and quick.

There were times where I disagreed with my project leader, though she wouldn't move on with the project without hearing me out and weighing my arguments, even if she disagreed with them.

Figure out what you want, and you can have it. And even if you don't know what you want, there are dozens of people at BCG who are there and would really like to help you figure it out.

An extraordinarily rewarding summer; the firm stands up to its reputation
Toronto | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with very warm and highly accomplished people on the toughest problems for the industry's top firm.

Getting significant responsibility from day one and deep exposure to senior client execs from the first week.

Flexibility of the case managers in allowing the interns to shape their summer experience early on.

Being able to work on different streams, including making financial models, designing and running workshops, presenting to senior executives, proposing a strategic framework to solve the client's problems, etc..

Regular PTO surveys and one-on-one discussions allows interns (and full-time team members) to safely express views on work satisfaction, work-life balance, and personal development.

Having lots of fun!

Long and unpredictable hours is an issue that most management consulting firms struggle with, and here is no exception.

Take ownership of your work stream and always drive it forward without expecting your manager to drive it for you; it is hard at the beginning when you don't know much about anything, but the sooner you do it the better. Never go to your manager with open-ended questions or problems, always present potential suggestions/hypotheses/solutions for ANY issue your bring forward.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

BCG provides interns with an immersive experience in management consulting
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Intern bonding events (Miami trip, golf outing, Yankees box, and many more), opportunities to get involved with 'extracurriculars' (a few interns played for the New York BCG soccer team and will be able to travel to Madrid to play in the BCG World Cup), amazing perks (fancy dinners, expense accounts), supportive recruiting staff that ensures everyone is having a positive experience, quality of managers

Work life balance could sometimes be tough to manage

The primary difference between BCG and main rivals McKinsey and Bain are purely cultural differences. The actual work and lifestyle are similar at all of them. When comparing, pick based on personal fit. This is important because you want to like the people you spend most of your time with, especially when traveling.

The topics of my second round cases were:

1. An Australian bank is considering upgrading its IT infrastructure. Should it go forward with it?

2. A global appliance company's European division has seen it's competitors move production from Western to Eastern Europe. Should the client follow suit?

Advice to Management

Office-wide retreat would be great. More hands on Excel training would have been helpful.

Lived up to the hype
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exciting, impactful work. Lots of networking.

Long project

Exceeded expectations. Drinking from a fire hose.

Why consulting? Why you? Why BCG?

Best development experience at an awesome company
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with great people and learning a lot

It was difficult finding housing for the summer

It's an amazing organization - highly supportive, fun, and challenging place to work.