The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

Strategy meets fun: 10 weeks of high-flying problem solving with a sea of new friends

Ownership of my work, high-quality feedback on a weekly basis, ample opportunities to get to know fellow interns and staff at all levels, wonderful recruiting team.

Struggling to think of anything -- maybe could add a tad more optional training on how to set up a three-tab analytical model for newbies like me. Not a big deal though, as plenty of online internal training resources are available.

1. Don't be afraid to ask BCGers how much they travel, what they do and don't like about their work, etc. These were important differentiators for me, and I found BCG staff very candid, which I can confirm based on my observations this summer. 2. Meet as many people as you can--connections you make in recruiting can be important as an intern.

Date: 2013

Amazing people; impactful work; excellent opportunities and growth

1. Quality of the people in the firm and the support they give interns 2. Development opportunities 3. Perks / benefits

It being client services

Try to get a sense for the firm and office culture

Date: 2013

Experienced outstanding dedication to developing, challenging, and supporting the individual, a real community

Office mates and friends, hanging out on the weekends, Starwood points and flying business class

It can be challenging to adjust to the time management - you manage your own hours which can be long, but are much better when managed well and balanced against sleep, etc.

If you care about integrity, creativity and critically thinking about how to deliver value for a client, BCG is a good fit work-wise. If you like being around sociable, friendly, extremely smart people who are absolutely dedicated to sharing their experiences, BCG is a good fit people-wise.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more senior women role models

Date: 2013

A rewarding and stretching learning experience

Steep learning curve. Expected to do real work.

Nothing negative to say. I've really enjoyed my time. Honest truth.

Can't think of anything I'd rather do out of undergrad.

Date: 2013

The juice was worth the squeeze: BCG is as good as advertised.

Varied work experience, good exposure to an actual case and responsbilities, ample opportunities to determine fit with the office

Some content of the in-office portion of training during orientation could have been more effectively delivered in pre-read slides.

Take a large sample and determine if you are a true fit with the people of the organization, not just the brand prestige.

Date: 2013

Perfect case experience, team and office culture. I couldn't have asked for a better summer experience.

The work is interesting and challenging. The internship class is diverse and bonded quickly. There were a lot of fun events throughout the summer.

There was nothing that I didn't like.

Make sure to engage with on-campus representatives early in the process. While breadth is important, get to know a couple people really well.

Date: 2013

Travel a steep learning curve with the help of great and intelligent people

Meeting great people; being trusted with work for a client; learning a ton

There are times that the case is not the most interesting

BCG is the best and guaranteed wonderful summer experience

Advice to Management

Nothing

Date: 2013

Learned a lot, helped a client, and did it all working with a team of incredible people

Steep learning curve, constant feedback and development opportunities, really great case team with people that not only wanted to help me but valued the experience I brought to the table.

Unfortunately with consulting, each case is different, so the downside is that you are making a full time decision based on just one small experience.

Make sure you spend time getting to know the personalities of the different offices. I spent a lot of time talking with consultants in the cities that I was considering moving to, and so I made a really informed decision and picked an office that I fit in well with culturally. I think many people assume all offices within a firm are the same, which is definitely not true, and cultural fit is really important if you're going to be spending so much time with them.

Advice to Management

I think the company could benefit from having trainings on giving cross-cultural reviews. Business Schools are becoming increasingly more international and because of that, intern classes are becoming more international. I found that some bosses assumed familiarity with American working norms, and training on expectations could have created earlier opportunities to level-set on expectations.

Brilliant colleagues, balanced lifestyle

Helpful and collaborative colleagues, wealth of support and enrichment opportunities

Irregularity of working hours

Think different

Date: 2013

Student with little business experience learns a lot

On the job experience

Realistically, it's tough to become an equal member of a team as a temprorary intern

It's hard work, but they truly respect you as a person