Intern at Simon-Kucher London Internships 2015? Submit a Review

Genuine responsibility from day one and a positive and inclusive working environment

London | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team that I worked with was excellent and made me feel welcome and included in the project. The project that I was on was also very interesting.

I would have liked more feedback on my work at each stage to ensure I was on the right track.

Positive working environment, good work life balance, high level of involvement in projects from beginning of internship.

Excellent experience that accelerated my development massively.

London | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of opportunities to do important work and get involved in a very tangible way. Very friendly colleagues who really help you settle in. Great access to partners and senior people who are very honest and very keen to help you develop. Used and felt as though I was a full time member of staff.

Quite long hours (however this was partially my choice)

BE honest with what you want to get out of it. Keep talking to people not only are they friendly intelligent people but they can often help you to do your work better or add something you hadn't thought about. Just try and learn as much as you possibly can about consulting and a good working evironment from this great office.

Advice to Management

The only thing I would change would be a little more training in the first few days however it was nice to feel needed as a resource to work on a project and you never learn anything as quickly or thoroughly as you learn it on the job.

It's a specialist pricing company so think about price points and how to change profitability. Keep it simple. I was asked about sky tv offering two products one at £10 and one at £20 and they were thinking about adding a third product at £15 how would this change their revenue? Think about cannibalisation as well as up-sell.

A fast paced, friendly atmosphere. Working as part of a team and genuinly treated that way. my work was used and presented to client!

Friendly environment
Constantly learning
Treated like a graduate
Attended important meetings
Opportunity to work on multiple projects
Very interesting work
Smaller office offers opportunity to meet a lot of people

Pay was not as much as other large consultancies
Was given second choice department (however ended up enjoying it greatly)

Would definitely advise this internship. It is a great place to work and they ensure you have interesting projects. There's also the opportunity to gain a job at the end!

Enjoyable, Interesting and Intenese

London | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the environment made the internship. Everyone was so friendly and helpful.

I was not put into my preferred department and did not have a chance to move to it

The firm not only looks for smart people, but sociable people. Your performance will depend on how your colleagues found you as well and whether you can work with them.

Simon-Kucher London internship

April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Great office atmosphere with excellent colleagues
flexible working hours
responsibility to self prioritise and manage your time
satisfactory intern salary
opportunities to gain real responsibility if pushed for

lots of rotations on projects
lots of classical intern tasks
no real involvement in project meetings unless pushed for

Comments

the experience is great but don't expect a job. Job offers are readily handed out for high-performers but only if the business need is there. With a relatively small company this is not always the case

Brilliant working environment and a very interesting line of work

December 2014 | FORMER INTERN

The people were amazing, right from the first day. They made me feel welcome, inviting me to social events from the off and encouraging me to learn as much as I could in the time I had. Good hours, and a healthy work life balance. Most employees know that consulting can bring long hours for intense periods, but this comes with the reward of more relaxed work in less busy periods. Table tennis in the office was a highlight! Learned a lot of key skills e.g. presenting, excel etc.

Could not see a project through from start to finish, but this could not be helped due to time constraints. This being the case, I was exposed to many different ongoing projects and I appreciated the opportunity to learn more about a broader variety of industries.

Comments

Ideal for students who are interested in strategy, with an emphasis on pricing and marketing. A great place to have a first internship experience, learning a lot about consulting and where you are not overworked in the sense that you are still eager to come back in every morning and learn more. Furthermore, throughout the internship the Partners themselves sit down with you to give you a platform by which you can feedback to them that you are getting what you wanted from your experience, which I believe is very important.

A highly tailored internship including great exposure and involvement

December 2014 | FORMER INTERN

Of all the many great aspects which I had the fortune to experience throughout this internship with Simon-Kucher, the most valuable ones were no doubt the level of exposure to the projects I was allocated to and the high grade of responsibilities this involved. Already during day one after the initial training, I was seen as an important part of my team and my work had direct value of bringing the projects forward. Along with being seen as a full-time consultant, I felt that I still had the support needed to manage my tasks in a good way since there was a great spirit in the team I worked with.

The internship also provided me with plenty of valuable training in Excel and presentation techniques, essential skills to bring with me for the future.

Apart from this I experienced a great social culture in the office and I got to know a great amount of people outside my team.

I did not really experience any negative aspects during my internship, since the quality of the internship exceeded my already high expectations. When we reached a crucial stage of one of the projects I worked on, it required a couple of late evenings to be on schedule, but staying late was more an individual decision and highly optional. Instead of being a downer, this gave me first-hand experience of that some periods in a consulting career are busier than others – a valuable experience since it is a common practice cross the industry.

Comments

This internship provides each candidate with optimal insights in the career of being a consultant. Through a couple of feedback sessions, the team makes sure that you are satisfied with your internship and gives you the opportunity to tailor the internship through additional tasks parallel to your main responsibilities.

Great learning (and general life) experience

London | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Friendly people, welcoming, good hours, learning a lot, lots of responsibility

I'd like to have been staffed on a project from the get-go but there was nothing anyone could have done about this!

Good working environment for a healthy work-life balance

Nice people, relaxed office, interesting work

London | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hours were not too long (compared to friends doing other consulting internships), got properly involved in projects so that you could really understand the processes. Office are very friendly and relaxed. Free yoghurt. Learnt alot about what it would be like to work here, learnt alot of key skills e.g. excel etc.

Have been set some menial tasks, pay not as good as other consulting internships

Have heard that they dont pay as well as other consulting firms, but it does seem more relaxed with far better work/life balance

A really enjoyable learning experience in a great atmosphere,

London | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the office atmopshere are fantastic. I was made to feel welcome from the beginning and everybody was extremely friendly. Most SKP employees seem to have exactly the right work/life balance - intense work at times but rewarded with more relaxed periods in less busy periods. The people I worked with seemed committed and hard-working without being overly stressed. My hours were also a lot better than expected, finishing around 7pm on the majority of nights with only a few 9/10pm finishes. Most of the work was interesting without being overly challenging. Overall, a lot more enjoyable and less stressful than I had imagined. Office snacks are great too!

At times I felt the work was not very engaging and sometimes I had very little to do at all. This lead ot boredom on a few occassions and as an intern I felt guilty because I felt I should be doing more! A little more structure and guidance would have been good. Perhaps some clearer targets that I should be working towards over the internship as well.

Great organisation to work for if you want to have a good work-life balance. Only catch for the reasonable hours is less pay than others (friends of mine are doing other consultancy internships). Apply if you want a better understanding about consultancy in general without being overworked so that you don't enjoy it! Also obviously good for those specifically interested in pricing and marketing.