4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 177 Intern Reviews)

Plante Moran offers a real life work experience, not an internship where you just fetch coffee. You gain valuable, relevant skills.
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I jumped in with both feet, after a week of training I was already in the field working on clients.

Being able to see different levels of responsibility in the career path ahead of me.

There was no expectations of me coming in but I gained a valuable base knowledge of day to day activities of a full time accountant.

Honestly, I had a great internship. If I had to pick one thing that I liked least about the internship it would be... well I've sat here for 10 minutes and can't think of anything so I'll leave it at that.

The culture here at Plante Moran, summed up by their motto, relatively "jerk-free" environment, is what we live by.

Describe in your life one time where you trained somebody.

Did you ever have any obstacles to overcome in the workplace and how did you overcome them?

Advice to Management

The training could be improved a little bit. We were thrown into the field with zero expectations and everything gets reviewed 3 times before so there's not a real reason to learn it all before you get to doing actual accounting work, but just more for an intern's peace of mind.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Career Changer Given the Opportunity to Use Talents with Exceptional Public Accounting Firm
Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was doing real work and was able to really contribute to the products we were delivering to our clients.

I didn't partcularly dislike anything.

Plante Moran has an exceptional commitment to making the intern experience a great one. I talked to many classmates that interned at a number of other firms (Big 4 and otherwise) and no one's experience sounded half as good as mine.

Tell me about a time you had to handle a number of different responsibilities at once.

Tell me about a time you had to deal with meeting a tight deadline.

Advice to Management

Keep being flexible: be willing to work with career changers.

Experience and character: an internship at Plante Moran
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked getting to know the people and culture of the company. Everyone helps and wants you to succeed. The work is challenging. The pay was excellent.

That it had to end.

Be open and actively seek as many different opportunities as you can.

Opportunity to learn and experience public accounting
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience - when I went out on a job they didn't even tell the client I was an intern. It was a great opportunity to meet other interns and network with them. The full time offer was incredible and I felt ahead of the game when I started full time because I had the internship experience.

My internship was in the summer so I got no tax experience and there was a lot of downtime where we had to walk around and look for our own work. It would have been nice to have a little more structure in my schedule because I was only scheduled on 3 clients for a 9 week internship.

Plante Moran provides great opportunities and they have great structure to help you thrive in your career.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A balance of good work and great people
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Intern Summit, shadowing managers and partners, the firm conference.

Sometimes the work would be slow - the summer is not the busiest time in auditing.

It is a great mid-size firm that will give you real world auditing experience without the high turnover and stress of the Big Four accounting firms.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A crash course into public accounting during busy season. Loved it
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people. Very helpful, always wanting me to learn. Never made me feel like a lowly intern. Gave me real tasks and problems to work on.

Long hours working during busy season.

Plante Moran understands that life isn't all about work. While it certainly is an important aspect, there has to be a balance or you won't enjoy your job or life.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

The best internship experience ever
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, the people, the work basically everything.

The only thing that I didn't like was my commute because I live far from the office.

Plante Moran is a great place to be. Always be willing to learn and take on challenges.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Couldn't have asked for more.
Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the culture, the work was great and challenging. I was pushed by the people I worked with and got to know a lot of people very well.

The fact that I had to leave and go back to school was not good.

Be willing to step out of your comfort zone and ask a lot of questions. Get to know as many people as you can and be a likable person.

I did a case at a leadership event that was about making business decisions as a business adviser.

Advice to Management

There were a few offices that had three people in one office so it made it tough.

How I Found the Company I Wanted to Start My Career With in Less Than 2 Months
Flint, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are two main highlights of my internship with Plante Moran. First is the people I worked with! As cliche as it is, it feels like you are all one big family. The partners are no exception! With the open door policy I stopped into partners' offices on several occasions and not once did I feel unwelcome. The opportunities available for each staff member to choose their career path is amazing! You're not restricted to either tax or audit upon hire. The industries you will specialize in are up to you as well.

Choosing to intern during the summer was the worst part about my internship. The summer is the slow time of year for public accounting firms and therefore I didn't get as much exposure to different types of audits and tax returns.

The best advice I can give any potential intern in public accounting is to try to get internships with multiple firms. My first internship was with one of the big four accounting firms and I truly believed I would accept their offer for employment before my internship with Plante Moran started. Don't dismiss Plante Moran just because they are a regional firm. They have a lot to offer, the people are great, and they offer the opportunity to find your niche.

I came into the internship looking for a job and I left with a career
Toledo, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were real life experience, good pay, flex time, inviting culture, and great people

Long busy season hours

Be prepared to step right in and feel like a full-time employee. If you accept the offer, you will learn so much more than a book can teach you.