Plante Moran Internship Experiences

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Accounting Internships  /  #6 Best Overall Internships

4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 177 Intern Reviews)

Challenging learning experience, with great monetary and personal rewards.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay was very competitive, and I also felt like I learned more than I would have ever imagined. The partners, managers, and in-charges are all very knowledgeable and understanding.

My internship was during busy season, so some weeks were very long. However, they pay you very well for overtime as an intern, so it was not too bad.

If you are not self motivated, this may not be the position for you. You must be ready and willing to learn, work hard, and soak in as much information as you can while you are at the firm.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have is to provide more hours of training. Plante Moran already spends about a week of training, but there is so much information and hands on learning to do, I feel like if we did almost mock audits on made up clients, this would be beneficial.

"This place cares about their people"
Ann Arbor, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were great to work with. I thoroughly enjoyed every person that I worked with throughout the internship. There were several social gatherings outside of the office which helped build relationships outside of the work setting.

Busy season work hours, however, the people that I worked with helped make the long hours manageable.

Keep a positive attitude and do not shy away from work opportunities. Always keep paper and pen with you to write things down!

Most of my interviews focused more on having a conversation and going over certain things listed on my resume. The few behavioral questions that I was asked were similar to the following:

Give an example of a time when you had to overcome adversity

Provide an example of a time when you had to motivate others to accomplish a common goal

What are some of your strengths that you believe will help you in the public accounting profession?

Advice to Management

The training given prior to starting the internship was very beneficial for my first internship, however the training that I received as a returning intern was not substantially different. The returning intern training program could be improved to focus less on learning the software programs (which we have already had experience with during our first internship).

Work for Plante Moran!
Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office environment and all my co workers.

The long hours

Be yourself, get outside your comfort zone and get noticed!

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A place where you can diversify your work and enjoy it the entire time.
Ann Arbor, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the diversity of work

The hours were very long.

The people are amazing and so helpful. You will gain experience in all areas of the accounting world so you can better decide which avenue is best for you.

Wake Up and Feel Excited to Go To Work
Toledo, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people that I worked with. The in charge and managers' giving responsibility to the interns and allowing us to learn by doing actual work. The fun culture.

Since the internship took place during tax season, there was a lot of tax work to be completed, and therefore the interns had more exposure to tax work rather than audit work.

If you intern with Plante Moran, you will learn a ton and have fun doing it!

Plante Moran's internships are extremely engaging, fun, and offer a great view of what environment one can look forward to in the future.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone I met at every Plante Moran office was extremely friendly and made sure we were comfortable while still pushing us to learn new things and be effective workers. The work was very satisfying and the overall office environment was very fun, and I did not want to return to schoolwork after the internship had ended.

There isn't really anything I didn't enjoy about the internship. The hours were long, but that was to be expected during busy season, and we were definitely fairly compensated for our time devoted to work.

At all levels in all offices, everyone I met was very professional yet friendly. Plante Moran seems to seek to employ people that make everyone feel comfortable while providing excellent service, whether it be for a client or for a coworker seeking help. I have only good things to say about my experience with them.

Advice to Management

The initial training of all new and returning interns in January was substandard. The experience at the location was great, and we were all treated extremely well, but the actual training did not seem to help much for anyone. It was far too fast and packed together over the span of a few days. However, I do know that this was a new implementation of training and that they are aware there were some issues that will be adjusted for future internships. The in-office training was much more effective and I comfortably knew what I was doing after we went over everything as a smaller group with people we were actually going to be working with.

Introduction to the Auditing Process
Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to interact first-hand with clients and being tasked with meaningful work not just tedious intern tasks.

Struggled a little bit with the level of autonomy given since I was not used to that in other jobs.

Don't feel like you need to know everything. You aren't expected to be familiar with the process or content.

21 Year Old Treated as a Professional.
Cleveland, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real working experience and the chance to interact with clients daily. I was treated like a full time staff member not "just" an intern.

I least liked how much time you spend sitting each day.

Being yourself is very important, but most of all take a deep breath. Everyone here wants to help you succeed. That's just the kind of firm we are.

Advice to Management

I think it should be a firm wide policy to stress a little more explanation at the start of a new engagement. I wouldn't suggest that you hold anyone's hand, but there were many time I was put on something and had no idea what I was doing and I was told to just look at last year's work papers and figure it out. I could ask questions if I got stuck, but I didn't receive much help up front. I would also say to be more clear with your offers. I have heard from many people (including myself) that we anticipated being in one department (audit/tax) and then realizing the firm had different ideas in mind.

Amazing Learning Opportunity in the Public Accounting field!
Flint, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Plante Moran brought the interns together on multiple occasions which was beneficial to see how others were doing and building a network for us.

I would have liked to be on more clients, but since it was summer and the slower season I understand why I was not on as many as I was expecting.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and just be yourself.

Practical Training in Public Accounting With Caring Professional Supervision
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- actual real world work was given to me to complete

- the amount of help people in the office were willing to give, even if I just met them an hour ago

- the amount of knowledge acquired throughout my 4 month internship

- While more due to personal choices, I chose to have my internship be during tax season where I thought I would get more experience and have more work to do. Since this is a busy season, I was not able to take classes during my Winter Semester.

As an intern at Plante Moran, no one here is expecting you to be an accounting expert or to walk in and know how to audit or prepare a return. From my experience, college classes will teach you how to be a bookkeeper, but when you step into the world of public accounting, it is one of those professions where you almost have an apprenticeship. Throughout my internship, I had a lot of on the job training on how to do things. The fact that everyone around me were friendly and willing to help me with whatever question, no matter how small, that I had made that process a lot easier.