Plante Moran Internship Experiences

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Accounting Internships  /  #6 Best Overall Internships

Real-Life Experience with your Future "Family"
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The real experience. I never got office, never ran errands, and I completed tax returns for real live clients. I was treated just like a first year staff member.

It was too short! I wish I could have spent the entire 15 week semester working with them.

Work hard, be positive, and everything will work itself out. A lot of us were worried about the potential of full time offers and obviously they aren't guaranteed but believe everyone when they tell you that the internship is more about you getting to know the firm than the other way around. They interviewed thousands of people and picked you. You have already made the cut to get a full time opporutnity as long as you work hard!

Advice to Management

I think everything was great!

Career Changer Given the Opportunity to Use Talents with Exceptional Public Accounting Firm
Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was doing real work and was able to really contribute to the products we were delivering to our clients.

I didn't partcularly dislike anything.

Plante Moran has an exceptional commitment to making the intern experience a great one. I talked to many classmates that interned at a number of other firms (Big 4 and otherwise) and no one's experience sounded half as good as mine.

Tell me about a time you had to handle a number of different responsibilities at once.

Tell me about a time you had to deal with meeting a tight deadline.

Advice to Management

Keep being flexible: be willing to work with career changers.

Intern Finds Meaning of Happiness at Plante Moran
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

How to choose? The networking chances, the work itself, and the fun activities like the Intern Summit, it all works together to create such a unique experience.

I think it would be neat if interns had a chance to check out other office locations during the duration of their internship. It would help people if they know that they want to work for Plante Moran but are unsure what location.

Take advantage of all the opportunities you get here. Don't be afraid to be honest throughout the whole process. Plante Moran cares about their employees as human beings. They want the whole person to be successful, not just the employee side.

Amazing fun career learning experience.
Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The staff that I worked with were the best part, they were always so helpful in any questions you had and would never say no to assist you to learn more about what you were doing.

I cannot think of anything I didn't like, I honestly had fun everyday with they jobs I was doing and learned a ton.

Plante Moran is a great place because they really stress the work life balance and is evident at the office. People will work hard at work but then still know how to leave the office at a good time to go home and spend time with there family or friends.

16 consecutive years on Fortune Magazine's "Top 100 companies to work for"

The people

The office

The dedication to our learning and growth

The dedication to it's core values

Summer in accounting is slow, so there were days in the office where the we spent the whole day looking for work, and couldn't really find anything. But that is just a result of the time of year and the large intern class

You need to like the work that you do, but if you don't like the people you work with, you won't want to come to work everyday

Questions regarding you leadership experiences at school

Questions about a challenge you overcame or about what you did when you and someone in your organization didn't agree

Questions relating to your classes, and your continuing education plans

Amazing opportunity to hone leadership, technical and professional skills.
Cleveland, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with team members to accomplish a common goal. Always treated with respect and felt like my opinion mattered.

Not being able to see every project through-- only because I did not yet have the skill set/job responsibilities to finish every project.

Great culture with a young environment. Easy transition from college to the work world.

Why do you want to intern at Plante Moran?

What do you expect to gain from your experience at Plante Moran?

Advice to Management

Intern orientation is catered to the masses. Would be nice to have some break out trainings for individuals wanting to work in specific fields.

A balance of good work and great people
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Intern Summit, shadowing managers and partners, the firm conference.

Sometimes the work would be slow - the summer is not the busiest time in auditing.

It is a great mid-size firm that will give you real world auditing experience without the high turnover and stress of the Big Four accounting firms.

How I Found the Company I Wanted to Start My Career With in Less Than 2 Months
Flint, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are two main highlights of my internship with Plante Moran. First is the people I worked with! As cliche as it is, it feels like you are all one big family. The partners are no exception! With the open door policy I stopped into partners' offices on several occasions and not once did I feel unwelcome. The opportunities available for each staff member to choose their career path is amazing! You're not restricted to either tax or audit upon hire. The industries you will specialize in are up to you as well.

Choosing to intern during the summer was the worst part about my internship. The summer is the slow time of year for public accounting firms and therefore I didn't get as much exposure to different types of audits and tax returns.

The best advice I can give any potential intern in public accounting is to try to get internships with multiple firms. My first internship was with one of the big four accounting firms and I truly believed I would accept their offer for employment before my internship with Plante Moran started. Don't dismiss Plante Moran just because they are a regional firm. They have a lot to offer, the people are great, and they offer the opportunity to find your niche.

The best internship experience ever
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, the people, the work basically everything.

The only thing that I didn't like was my commute because I live far from the office.

Plante Moran is a great place to be. Always be willing to learn and take on challenges.

Excellent experience to life in a full time position
Auburn Hills, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was giving a lot of freedom to complete the tasks. I did not have anyone looking over my shoulder to see what time I was coming into the office/client location or leaving the office/client location. I was given tasks to begin the day and I was responsible for providing my manager with updates on the progress of how I was doing. The manager was not coming into my office every hour to make sure I was staying focused on my work. I was treated not as an intern, but as a full time staff member. Every project I was given was tailored specifically to me, with the idea of trying to grow and advance.

I was not very busy at times during my internship. I did a summer internship, and it was tough to find work sometimes.

Ask lots of questions throughout the entire process, and try to soak up as much informatoin as possible during your internship.

Describe an example of when you showed excellent customer service. Describe a time when you had to deal with a troublesome co-worker. Describe a situation where you were pressed for a strong deadline, and you had to meet it at all costs. What is your biggest weakness, and how do you try to overcome it?