4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 177 Intern Reviews)

Great experience, learned a ton, great hourly pay as well
Cincinnati, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learned an unbelievable amount in a short amount of time

Lots of hours, but that is what the industry is, so you should already know what you are getting yourself into going in.

They treat you as if you are a first year staff, not an intern, so you learn very quickly. There isn't much to distinguish first years and interns, so this lets you learn very quickly because you are treated the same. All the overtime pay is fantastic too.

Real world experience
Auburn Hills, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world experience, expectations are drawn out

With the amount of interns, the less work you have.

Try a winter internship to see what busy season is like.

Do you feel comfortable asking questions when stuck?

Advice to Management

N/A

"This place cares about their people"
Ann Arbor, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were great to work with. I thoroughly enjoyed every person that I worked with throughout the internship. There were several social gatherings outside of the office which helped build relationships outside of the work setting.

Busy season work hours, however, the people that I worked with helped make the long hours manageable.

Keep a positive attitude and do not shy away from work opportunities. Always keep paper and pen with you to write things down!

Most of my interviews focused more on having a conversation and going over certain things listed on my resume. The few behavioral questions that I was asked were similar to the following:

Give an example of a time when you had to overcome adversity

Provide an example of a time when you had to motivate others to accomplish a common goal

What are some of your strengths that you believe will help you in the public accounting profession?

Advice to Management

The training given prior to starting the internship was very beneficial for my first internship, however the training that I received as a returning intern was not substantially different. The returning intern training program could be improved to focus less on learning the software programs (which we have already had experience with during our first internship).

Challenging learning experience, with great monetary and personal rewards.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay was very competitive, and I also felt like I learned more than I would have ever imagined. The partners, managers, and in-charges are all very knowledgeable and understanding.

My internship was during busy season, so some weeks were very long. However, they pay you very well for overtime as an intern, so it was not too bad.

If you are not self motivated, this may not be the position for you. You must be ready and willing to learn, work hard, and soak in as much information as you can while you are at the firm.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have is to provide more hours of training. Plante Moran already spends about a week of training, but there is so much information and hands on learning to do, I feel like if we did almost mock audits on made up clients, this would be beneficial.

Best Summer of Work Ever
Ann Arbor, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The learning opportunities, the staff, the culture, the responsibility.

Nothing comes to mind that I didn't enjoy about the internship.

When looking at public accounting firms, the pay is comparable between Plante and Big 4, so it really comes down to the differing experiences between the firms. Plante is unique because you will work on a huge variety of clients and have the opportunity to truly understand the full scope of their business, as opposed to a Big 4 client you may be on for months at a time and only audit Cash.

Great Experience With Great People
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the intern summit. It was good to have a a break from work and I really got to bond with the other interns in my office.

My least favorite part was intern presents.

Go in with a positive attitude and try to meet as many people as you can.

I can't remember specific questions, but I do remember it being very laid back during all three interviews.

Advice to Management

Have everyone on the same page with software being used for different functions.

Plante Moran offered a great internship experience.
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were great.

Getting used to the time commitment was difficult.

Have an open mind and be ready to learn.

Plante Moran offers a real life work experience, not an internship where you just fetch coffee. You gain valuable, relevant skills.
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I jumped in with both feet, after a week of training I was already in the field working on clients.

Being able to see different levels of responsibility in the career path ahead of me.

There was no expectations of me coming in but I gained a valuable base knowledge of day to day activities of a full time accountant.

Honestly, I had a great internship. If I had to pick one thing that I liked least about the internship it would be... well I've sat here for 10 minutes and can't think of anything so I'll leave it at that.

The culture here at Plante Moran, summed up by their motto, relatively "jerk-free" environment, is what we live by.

Describe in your life one time where you trained somebody.

Did you ever have any obstacles to overcome in the workplace and how did you overcome them?

Advice to Management

The training could be improved a little bit. We were thrown into the field with zero expectations and everything gets reviewed 3 times before so there's not a real reason to learn it all before you get to doing actual accounting work, but just more for an intern's peace of mind.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Opportunity to learn and experience public accounting
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience - when I went out on a job they didn't even tell the client I was an intern. It was a great opportunity to meet other interns and network with them. The full time offer was incredible and I felt ahead of the game when I started full time because I had the internship experience.

My internship was in the summer so I got no tax experience and there was a lot of downtime where we had to walk around and look for our own work. It would have been nice to have a little more structure in my schedule because I was only scheduled on 3 clients for a 9 week internship.

Plante Moran provides great opportunities and they have great structure to help you thrive in your career.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

How I Found the Company I Wanted to Start My Career With in Less Than 2 Months
Flint, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are two main highlights of my internship with Plante Moran. First is the people I worked with! As cliche as it is, it feels like you are all one big family. The partners are no exception! With the open door policy I stopped into partners' offices on several occasions and not once did I feel unwelcome. The opportunities available for each staff member to choose their career path is amazing! You're not restricted to either tax or audit upon hire. The industries you will specialize in are up to you as well.

Choosing to intern during the summer was the worst part about my internship. The summer is the slow time of year for public accounting firms and therefore I didn't get as much exposure to different types of audits and tax returns.

The best advice I can give any potential intern in public accounting is to try to get internships with multiple firms. My first internship was with one of the big four accounting firms and I truly believed I would accept their offer for employment before my internship with Plante Moran started. Don't dismiss Plante Moran just because they are a regional firm. They have a lot to offer, the people are great, and they offer the opportunity to find your niche.