4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 177 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

Plante Moran offers a real life work experience, not an internship where you just fetch coffee. You gain valuable, relevant skills.
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I jumped in with both feet, after a week of training I was already in the field working on clients.

Being able to see different levels of responsibility in the career path ahead of me.

There was no expectations of me coming in but I gained a valuable base knowledge of day to day activities of a full time accountant.

Honestly, I had a great internship. If I had to pick one thing that I liked least about the internship it would be... well I've sat here for 10 minutes and can't think of anything so I'll leave it at that.

The culture here at Plante Moran, summed up by their motto, relatively "jerk-free" environment, is what we live by.

Describe in your life one time where you trained somebody.

Did you ever have any obstacles to overcome in the workplace and how did you overcome them?

Advice to Management

The training could be improved a little bit. We were thrown into the field with zero expectations and everything gets reviewed 3 times before so there's not a real reason to learn it all before you get to doing actual accounting work, but just more for an intern's peace of mind.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A crash course into public accounting during busy season. Loved it
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people. Very helpful, always wanting me to learn. Never made me feel like a lowly intern. Gave me real tasks and problems to work on.

Long hours working during busy season.

Plante Moran understands that life isn't all about work. While it certainly is an important aspect, there has to be a balance or you won't enjoy your job or life.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

The best internship experience ever
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, the people, the work basically everything.

The only thing that I didn't like was my commute because I live far from the office.

Plante Moran is a great place to be. Always be willing to learn and take on challenges.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A balance of good work and great people
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Intern Summit, shadowing managers and partners, the firm conference.

Sometimes the work would be slow - the summer is not the busiest time in auditing.

It is a great mid-size firm that will give you real world auditing experience without the high turnover and stress of the Big Four accounting firms.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Couldn't have asked for more.
Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the culture, the work was great and challenging. I was pushed by the people I worked with and got to know a lot of people very well.

The fact that I had to leave and go back to school was not good.

Be willing to step out of your comfort zone and ask a lot of questions. Get to know as many people as you can and be a likable person.

I did a case at a leadership event that was about making business decisions as a business adviser.

Advice to Management

There were a few offices that had three people in one office so it made it tough.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Career Changer Given the Opportunity to Use Talents with Exceptional Public Accounting Firm
Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was doing real work and was able to really contribute to the products we were delivering to our clients.

I didn't partcularly dislike anything.

Plante Moran has an exceptional commitment to making the intern experience a great one. I talked to many classmates that interned at a number of other firms (Big 4 and otherwise) and no one's experience sounded half as good as mine.

Tell me about a time you had to handle a number of different responsibilities at once.

Tell me about a time you had to deal with meeting a tight deadline.

Advice to Management

Keep being flexible: be willing to work with career changers.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Making my way to be a fun CPA
Flint, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting up with the interns and traveling. Being able to learn more about what public accounting is all about and that there is so much more to it than just testing. You have to build client relationships and peer relationships. And there seemed to always be food.

When having to work in the office, there was not much to do. I didn't enjoy sitting around not being productive, but I understood that summer internships typically go that way.

Don't be afraid to be yourself. It is awkward and strange at first to walk up to staff members and start conversing with them, but it is necessary. They want to know you , just as much as you want to know them. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but know when to ask them. As you go through your internship, write down moments that stand out for you because then you can reference those during your intern presents.

Best preparation for the accounting field.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was a learning experience and everyone was happy to teach you!

I wish it was longer.

They are the most enjoyable company atmosphere wise to work for.

Tell me of a time when you were a good leader.

Advice to Management

Better structure of where to go after your internship to stay in contact.

Challenging learning experience, with great monetary and personal rewards.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay was very competitive, and I also felt like I learned more than I would have ever imagined. The partners, managers, and in-charges are all very knowledgeable and understanding.

My internship was during busy season, so some weeks were very long. However, they pay you very well for overtime as an intern, so it was not too bad.

If you are not self motivated, this may not be the position for you. You must be ready and willing to learn, work hard, and soak in as much information as you can while you are at the firm.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have is to provide more hours of training. Plante Moran already spends about a week of training, but there is so much information and hands on learning to do, I feel like if we did almost mock audits on made up clients, this would be beneficial.

Best Summer of Work Ever
Ann Arbor, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The learning opportunities, the staff, the culture, the responsibility.

Nothing comes to mind that I didn't enjoy about the internship.

When looking at public accounting firms, the pay is comparable between Plante and Big 4, so it really comes down to the differing experiences between the firms. Plante is unique because you will work on a huge variety of clients and have the opportunity to truly understand the full scope of their business, as opposed to a Big 4 client you may be on for months at a time and only audit Cash.