Plante Moran Internship Experiences

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Accounting Internships  /  #6 Best Overall Internships

Excellent experience to life in a full time position
Auburn Hills, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was giving a lot of freedom to complete the tasks. I did not have anyone looking over my shoulder to see what time I was coming into the office/client location or leaving the office/client location. I was given tasks to begin the day and I was responsible for providing my manager with updates on the progress of how I was doing. The manager was not coming into my office every hour to make sure I was staying focused on my work. I was treated not as an intern, but as a full time staff member. Every project I was given was tailored specifically to me, with the idea of trying to grow and advance.

I was not very busy at times during my internship. I did a summer internship, and it was tough to find work sometimes.

Ask lots of questions throughout the entire process, and try to soak up as much informatoin as possible during your internship.

Describe an example of when you showed excellent customer service. Describe a time when you had to deal with a troublesome co-worker. Describe a situation where you were pressed for a strong deadline, and you had to meet it at all costs. What is your biggest weakness, and how do you try to overcome it?

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Plante Moran offers a real life work experience, not an internship where you just fetch coffee. You gain valuable, relevant skills.
Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I jumped in with both feet, after a week of training I was already in the field working on clients.

Being able to see different levels of responsibility in the career path ahead of me.

There was no expectations of me coming in but I gained a valuable base knowledge of day to day activities of a full time accountant.

Honestly, I had a great internship. If I had to pick one thing that I liked least about the internship it would be... well I've sat here for 10 minutes and can't think of anything so I'll leave it at that.

The culture here at Plante Moran, summed up by their motto, relatively "jerk-free" environment, is what we live by.

Describe in your life one time where you trained somebody.

Did you ever have any obstacles to overcome in the workplace and how did you overcome them?

Advice to Management

The training could be improved a little bit. We were thrown into the field with zero expectations and everything gets reviewed 3 times before so there's not a real reason to learn it all before you get to doing actual accounting work, but just more for an intern's peace of mind.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Couldn't have asked for more.
Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the culture, the work was great and challenging. I was pushed by the people I worked with and got to know a lot of people very well.

The fact that I had to leave and go back to school was not good.

Be willing to step out of your comfort zone and ask a lot of questions. Get to know as many people as you can and be a likable person.

I did a case at a leadership event that was about making business decisions as a business adviser.

Advice to Management

There were a few offices that had three people in one office so it made it tough.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A crash course into public accounting during busy season. Loved it
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people. Very helpful, always wanting me to learn. Never made me feel like a lowly intern. Gave me real tasks and problems to work on.

Long hours working during busy season.

Plante Moran understands that life isn't all about work. While it certainly is an important aspect, there has to be a balance or you won't enjoy your job or life.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Amazing opportunity to hone leadership, technical and professional skills.
Cleveland, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with team members to accomplish a common goal. Always treated with respect and felt like my opinion mattered.

Not being able to see every project through-- only because I did not yet have the skill set/job responsibilities to finish every project.

Great culture with a young environment. Easy transition from college to the work world.

Why do you want to intern at Plante Moran?

What do you expect to gain from your experience at Plante Moran?

Advice to Management

Intern orientation is catered to the masses. Would be nice to have some break out trainings for individuals wanting to work in specific fields.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

The best internship experience ever
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, the people, the work basically everything.

The only thing that I didn't like was my commute because I live far from the office.

Plante Moran is a great place to be. Always be willing to learn and take on challenges.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A balance of good work and great people
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Intern Summit, shadowing managers and partners, the firm conference.

Sometimes the work would be slow - the summer is not the busiest time in auditing.

It is a great mid-size firm that will give you real world auditing experience without the high turnover and stress of the Big Four accounting firms.

Work for Plante Moran!
Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office environment and all my co workers.

The long hours

Be yourself, get outside your comfort zone and get noticed!

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Opportunity to learn and experience public accounting
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience - when I went out on a job they didn't even tell the client I was an intern. It was a great opportunity to meet other interns and network with them. The full time offer was incredible and I felt ahead of the game when I started full time because I had the internship experience.

My internship was in the summer so I got no tax experience and there was a lot of downtime where we had to walk around and look for our own work. It would have been nice to have a little more structure in my schedule because I was only scheduled on 3 clients for a 9 week internship.

Plante Moran provides great opportunities and they have great structure to help you thrive in your career.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Career Changer Given the Opportunity to Use Talents with Exceptional Public Accounting Firm
Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was doing real work and was able to really contribute to the products we were delivering to our clients.

I didn't partcularly dislike anything.

Plante Moran has an exceptional commitment to making the intern experience a great one. I talked to many classmates that interned at a number of other firms (Big 4 and otherwise) and no one's experience sounded half as good as mine.

Tell me about a time you had to handle a number of different responsibilities at once.

Tell me about a time you had to deal with meeting a tight deadline.

Advice to Management

Keep being flexible: be willing to work with career changers.