Navigant Consulting Summer Associate Program Internship

Date: 2013

Intern acquires skills applicable in any industry through an internship at Navigant

I had the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, as well as a variety of places. By getting to work in NJ, at the client site, and in the NY office, I truly benefited from a variety of experiences. The different projects I worked on helped me to gain exposure to the many different projects that occur within one division. I also felt that the work I was assigned for each project achieved the perfect balance between being challenging enough to keep me focused and being too difficult that I am incapable of completing it.

Occasionally, the amount of work I received was not consistent. Sometimes I would have enough work to last me the entire day, and at other times, I felt I was being underutilized.

Always make sure the quality of your work at a level where you would feel comfortable presenting it to a client, because sometimes, it will be! Also, if you feel that you do not have enough work to do, make sure to ask, there is always someone who needs help on a project.

Advice to Management

I would try to plan employee orientation for the day the employee beings; I had my orientation a week after I had started, and by that point, I had already figured everything out myself.

Date: 2013

A position that provides the opportunity to learn every healthcare payment system from the brightest minds in the field

I learned more than I ever have. I am in school for healthcare management and the Affordable Care Act is obviously a big part of the cirriculum. It is one thing to learn about reimbursements and payment strategies in a book and quite another to work on real life cases. I got to work a wide variety of projects that covered nearly every reimbursement scenario in the market today. I can't imgaine any of my colleagues had an internship that provided them this unique opportunity. That is what is amazing about consulting - every project can be something new and different. What sets Navigant apart is that our healthcare department is not insular. The state payer people don't only work with state payer people. I was part of the private payer group, but since there is so much collaboration and overlap between groups, I got to work on state projects as well. I haven't run into other consulting firms that have this great of a group dynamic and whose teams are so free-flowing. The collaboration at Navigant was a great part of the internship. Add to that the 2-day retreat for Payer Transformation and I really saw how much everyone genuinely likes working with (not against) each other. There is no competition for clients, everyone helps each other with their work. I also loved how they treated their interns. I was not treated like an intern actually. I was given difficult work and learned a lot because of it. additionally, every Wednesday HR put together an intern lunch where different divisions of the firm would come talk to us about what they did. So even though I worked in healthcare specifically, i got to see what energy, construction, disputes & investigations, etc. were working on. It was great to learn about the company as a whole, allowing me to see how stong other departments were as well. Plus the firm took us to a Cubs rooftop!

A few times I was given the task of doing research on the internet. It was only for about a day or two total, but I would prefer to be working on project work. I guess it is natural for everyone to have to do this type of work thoguh, and is not necessarily reflective of the internship.

Recognize that this field of work keeps you busy! But the knowledge you gain is invaluable and the perks are great:)

Advice to Management

Recruit a bit better - it was difficult for me to figure out how to go about applying for an internship. They could formalize application process a bit more.

Fun Full-On Crash Course in Litigation Consulting

The rotation between groups, and the social intern events to get to know everyone at the firm.

There was nothing that I disliked about the program.

Its a great program to get a taste for the company and consulting in general. Its a short program but you get to learn a ton and you are well prepared for recruiting in the fall.

Advice to Management

Increase full time compensation.

Date: 2013

Fantastic opportunity to utilize an engineering skillset in a business oriented setting.

The best part of the job was that it gave me experience with both construction and consulting, both of which are viable career options for me going forward. In addition to loving the work I was doing, the team here at Navigant is fantastic, with many young professionals looking to network and get involved.

The only con to the internship was that I was unable to spend as much time at projecct sites as I would have liked.

This is a fantastic company to work for. Great people, fulfilling work, and you are able to make a difference quickly rather than simply working on meaningless tasks. Also the intern program is very involved and structured, full of events that made this a great summer.

Advice to Management

From what I've seen, our management has done a great job with the construction team. The only thing I may add for interns would be a mid summer evaluation, so that we are able to gauge our progress throughout the summer and better understand if we are being considered for a full time offer.

Date: 2013

Navigant is a great place to start out. I really enjoyed my internship here.

The people at the New York Navigant office were so easy to get along with and you weren't intimidated by them. It was easy to talk to them.

I wish I could have done a little more hands on projects.

Navigant is a great company to start out at, even if you are just doing an internship and aren't expecting a full time offer. The people, in all of the departments, are great people and everyone is friendly. The workload wasn't what I expected but now that it is towards the end of the internship we are getting more work.

Date: 2013

Gain real consulting experience in life sciences

I am exposed to and participate in many aspects of the consulting world, from project development, primary and secondary research, KOL interviews, client meetings, synthesizing and analyzing insights, to compiling data.

I do not have one clear manager; I am working under many people on many projects, and it would be nice to check in with one person about my work, whether or not they are involved with what I am working on.

Join Navigant Life Sciences if you have a background in science and have a passion for commercialization of science. Otherwise, you will not find it interesting work.

N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

Advice to Management

N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

Date: 2013

Small-firm feel, varying and challenging work, great culture.

Fun events every week, including happy hours, baseball games, golf outings, shows, etc. Allowed us to contribute valuable, non-menial or trivial work. Allows you to switch teams halfway through the internship so you can understand a different side to the business and appreciate the variety.

No formal feedback from supervisors unless you ask specifically.

If you are looking for finance/accounting, there is more to life than IB. Navigant offers teams of valuation experts, forensic accountants, and even technology solutions, so there is a type of work available for every interest within the finance field.

Navigant: Developing Good Employees Start at the Interns

The openness of all of the high up directors to talk and give their time to the interns, and also the responsibility entrusted in us to complete the same job that would be expected from a full-time employee.

Washington, DC

At Navigant, the interns are expected to contribute on a much larger level than other places - I was on the phone with the head of global operations of a major international bank, and on a separate project, given the task of finding and organizing all of the data to be used in an expert testimony.

Date: 2013

Learn consulting from some of the best

The willingness of everybody to slow themselves down to help me learn.

I honestly liked everything about the internship.

This is a great place to begin a consulting career and meet some great people.

Advice to Management

Compensation a bit low compared to some firms such as Deloitte. They pay their interns around $30 / hr plus overtime when appropriate.