Monitor Group Summer Senior Consultant Internship

Date: 2012

Excellent introduction to life as a strategy consultant; interesting work and colleagues

The opportunity to fully integrate into a team and produce something of benefit to the client--everything I worked on was useful to the client or the firm.

The hours proved long at some points in the summer.

If you wish to have a truly representative summer at a strategy consultancy--one during which you can really test whether consulting is for you--then Monitor is an excellent place to be.

Interns able to expand horizons in Innovation Group at Monitor

1) Ability to investigate a new industry (healthcare) / 2) Exposure to senior executives and clients / 3) Ability to significantly contribute to case team and to become a valued member of the team in only 10 short weeks

1) Concerns about structure of the business / how time is tracked / process for selling projects seemed ad hoc

Best advice is to get to know as many Monitor people as possible - culture and fit is hugely important, so you want to make sure you are in the right place just as much as they want to make sure you are the right fit for the organization.

Date: 2012

Feedback culture, interesting projects, thoughtful mentorship pairing

Lots of planned social activities, access to partners, 20% time on internal IP project

Didn't bond as much with other interns as I would have liked, spent a lot of time on the phone since our teams were co-located

Recently acquired by Deloitte - organization will change drastically

Date: 2012

Good learning experience, but not the right fit for me

--professional development (Feedback culture) --professional perks (e.g. nice dinners, good salary, etc)

--unprofessional recruiting and feedback practices at times --lack of mission or purpose underlying work as a motivating factor for employees

Be thorough in your evaluation of the overall firm's financial health before accepting an offer.