Monitor Group Summer Consultant Program

A Summer Crash Course in the World of Management Consulting
Cambridge, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

the office culture, exploring a new city- Cambridge, intern events

the work can be tedious at times although for the most part was stimulating and interesting

what separates Monitor from other consulting firms is the office culture- along with the prestige of a well known firm there is a certain laid back culture which makes it very easy to interact with your piers

The perfect combination of case-experience, professional development, and AMAZING social opportunities.
Cambridge, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real-life consulting experience, given responsibility from Day 1, unbelievable social activities (3 day rafting trip, Red Sox games, numerous networking opportunities, rock climbing, sailing, etc.), access to Monitor thought leaders

Not much influence over allocation (i.e., what type of case you worked on)

Honestly, could not have asked for a better experience. Monitor provides you with excellent career opportunities and case experiences as well as ridiculous social activities. It felt unfair when I told my friends - who were working at peer firms - how much fun I was having.

Advice to Management

Better communication about the strategic direction of the company.

Intro to Strategy Consulting... Fluffed with Wonderful Social Activities
Cambridge, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience was incredible. My project allowed me to truly integrate into a case team, and my input and work were significant in the team's deliverables at the end of the project. This made the experience rich, rewarding, challenging, and representative of the full-time position. I was able to see what working at Monitor would really be like, and that is one of the main takeaways you want to have after an internship: an idea of whether or not you want to work for that company full-time.

The social aspect of the internship was also hugely defining of the experience. We had really fun events, like trapeze, rock climbing, painting, sailing, barbecues, and more. At a firm that so values its great culture, this was really important. Getting to meet people all across the firm was really benefical for me, and only solidified my belief that Monitor's people are simply the best there are.

Because of how short the internship is, it was difficult to get a full understanding of my team's workstream's impact on the overall client project. However, I was able to arrange a call after the internship, once the project was over, to get an update on how the project ended. That was really helpful!

The hours were also longer than I would have liked, but after all, it is consulting. And it got me to realize that there really is a difference between liking the work enough to do it 9-5 and liking the work enough to be doing 60-70-80 hours a week. I appreciate that I got to realize this now, and not after I went blindly into a full-time position.

Well...given the recent acquisition of Monitor by Deloitte, I'd say you have to be even more comfortable with ambiguity than a typical consultant (and typical consultants need to be comfortable with ambiguity given the nature of the work!). Things will be changing and coming together and not everything is set in stone just yet. But the plans will unfold. I guess it is just a matter of whether or not you are comfortable joining a firm that has recently gone through a merger. It's not for everyone.

I don't think too much else of my experience is relevant, as I worked for Monitor, and Monitor no longer exists. I don't know what the new Monitor Deloitte thing will look like.

Advice to Management

I know some of my fellow interns felt underutilized. We chose to intern at Monitor because we wanted to be challenged. And for such intellectually curious and motivated people, it is just truly frustrating to feel underutilized. So maybe put in place a more rigorous selection process for cases to receive interns?

Not your average internship! Monitor's program is an extremely rewarding and enriching experience.
Cambridge, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The high level of responsibility which I was given; client exposure; social events planned by the internship coordinators (rafting trip to Maine, happy hours, sailing in Boston Harbor, etc.)

I don't think that there is anything in particular that I liked least about the internship.

Monitor has a fantastic office culture, and the internship does a great job in exposing you to it. You're given a high level of responsibility from the start and have the opportunity to actually do some meaningful work. Also, Monitor really puts a lot of focus on their interns, which just goes to show how much the firm values its tight-knit community.

Learning about management consulting with awesome coworkers and mentors
Cambridge, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent mentorship and colleagues, emphasis on welcoming culture, interesting and meaningful work

Some tasks were somewhat menial and mindless, or seemed very unimportant

This internship provided an excellent opportunity to get hands-on and challenging experience in the field of general management consulting, but also focused on creating a fun and welcoming culture. It is the perfect summer experience for someone interesting in consulting who wants to gain experience and make important connections in a fun and non-stressful environment.

Gain exposure to consulting industry and mentoring from impressive managers
Cambridge, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My case team was incredibly supportive and offered themselves as resources for conversations related to our work, my summer, and my decisions about a full-time job. The internship "program" is also very well run - Monitor puts a lot of time into planning events, meetings, and fun for interns and the nine weeks are very enjoyable.

The distribution of work and responsibility among the interns can vary widely, which meant that some interns consistently worked eight hour days and were rarely stressed about "work", while others were frequently at the office into the late evening working with their case team.

Monitor is very big on internal culture and they'll want to see that you're personally a fit and that you understand the firm culture - they definitely screen for this during final round interviews. Both first and second round interviews are a bit non-traditional, the first round being a written case and the second round being a group presentation/case, so be prepared to present in a different way.

Awesome experience in consulting wrapped around a really fun summer program.
Cambridge, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great leadership, fun programs and real world experience

Vagueness of answering some questions about the company as a whole

It is a different place to work, but if you fit in with the culture you will succede

Advice to Management

Be more open with employees about situation overall company is in.