Mercer Retirement Consulting Actuarial Internship

A real-life consulting internship
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to work with such intelligent and fun people.

I didn't get as much work as I would have liked, but that wasn't even that big of an issue. The entire experience was great.

Mercer is a really great place to work, especially compared to their competitors. The work-life balance is great and everyone works hard to make sure that both their colleagues and their clients are happy.

Good Company, Good People, Great Learning Experience
Norwalk, CT | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Company culture, value of employees, advancement opportunities.

Lack of structure with internship program.

I believe Mercer is a great choice for a future employer. They really care about their employees, promote career development and allow employees advance at a pace fit for his/her individual needs.

Advice to Management

In the office I interned at turnover was high; there were many individuals who either left Mercer to work somewhere else or moved to a different office or LOB. The internship itself also lacked structure. A little more guidance/structured events like speaker series would have been nice.

Great atmosphere to learn and work in - great people and great support.
Detroit, MI | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture of the office was the best part of the internship. Everyone was extremely welcoming. Also, I always was busy with work that I had the capacity to complete.

At times the general trainings that all new-hires must complete were a bit dry.

If you are interested in retirement consulting, every company that you interview with, you will be doing the same work. However, a very important part is being able to and enjoying working with members of the office. I supported by my office members during the entire duration of my internship.

Advice to Management

Possibly allow paid holidays for interns, as everyone else recieves this.

A welcoming environment with ample amounts to learn and many people willing to answer your questions.
Minneapolis, MN | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with and the variety of projects I was able to work on to give me a broad overview of the field. Everyone was also very helpful with answering questions and helping me to adjust.

Not having enough work to do.

The people working at Mercer truly are great people. They are dedicated to their work, but it is also obvious that they enjoy their work and they have a great work and personal life balance.

Advice to Management

I would suggest offering training to a group of new employees instead of doing it individually. It would be more enjoyable this way and wouldn't seem to single out the new empoloyees as the new kids as much.

Real life work done everyday.
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, and the pay.

Work seemed kind of slow at times.

Great atmosphere, fun place to work.

Mercer Offers Best Training Program Series to Inters
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people
Stimulating work

I was the only intern in the office

Do not be afraid to ask questions for help

Performed multiple tasks that enabled me to gain an education in the field of both consulting and actuarial science.
Seattle, WA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My supervisor and buddy were both great mentors. Everyone was extremely helpful and patient on projects that I was assigned to and my superiors genuinely wanted me to learn. I was also able to create very strong relationships with many of my colleagues.

Nothing! I was very lucky to have this opportunity.

Mercer's internship programs are a fun and educational experience. However, Mercer has very specific career paths, so be sure that you are taking an internship in an area that you know you want to pursue after college.

Its an internship with a good company in a good city with good pay.
Philadelphia, PA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay
Hours (standard 40 hr work week)
Friendly People
Career Opportunities in Multiple Locations
Great online learning program (not only retirement topics but also software including microsoft office)

Sometimes there wasn't a lot of work for me to do, but sometimes that happens at a consulting company.

I think it is imporant to keep in mind the long term prospects of a career in retirement consulting.

Advice to Management

There isn't anything in particular they could do to improve, the only issue is really the result of market conditions.

Great culture,
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, very social group

In-depth work experience. Would have like more structured project involvement.

Highly motivated people, great at what they do.

Pension Actuarial Internship
Louisville, KY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Provides a good introduction into pension actuarial work. The employees were always willing to help explain things further and go through the process with you when you have questions.

No client interaction. Some of the duties seemed to be repetitive and did not always understand the underlining meaning of what I was doing using certain tools to evaluate pensions.

The office environment was great. Everyone was willing to help and answer any questions I had. A lot of young recent graduates that are also new to the company and learning so your not alone.