Intern at Mercer Retirement Consulting Actuarial Internship? Submit a Review

-becoming advanced in Excel

-meeting new people

-being a part of the Volunteer Committee

-being treated as if I were a New Hire

Not everyone always has work for me, so it gets boring when I have no work.

Always ask questions and review your work before submitting it! Also, be proactive and don't just sit around. You're at this internship to learn!

A Learning Experience With Much Practical Application and Value

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are definitely Mercer's best asset. We are a consulting firm and our business starts with having good people. Mercer hires great people who are smart and talented.

I commute about an hour and a half every day, that's probably my least favorite part. Not really Mercer's fault though!

As an actuarial student it is very difficult to choose a path for employment. With all of the opportunities out there consulting versus insurance is a big step to take. My advice would be to visit the office and interview people who work at each potential company in both industries. You will get a feel for where you fit best.

Advice to Management

None, the Mock Valuation this year is a new addition for the interns and it has been very helpful thus far.

One of the most informative, awesome experiences of my life thus far

Norwalk, CT | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work is interesting and the people are very easy to work with/ get along with

I do wish I had a little more work sometimes.

Pass exams and communicate with coworkers fluently

Mercer Intern gains valueable on job experience

Louisville, KY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the experience gained in the retirement field

the chairs hurt my back

Mercer provided a great oppotunity to gain experience in the retirement field

Advice to Management

new chairs

Life as a Retirement Actuary

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people! The atmosphere is something I enjoy greatly and it makes work interesting and even fun.

Honestly, nothing.

Definitely look into Mercer if you are a social nerd. The general atmosphere is exciting and fun. No day goes by without a smile on my face.

Internship Experience- Surprisingly Busy and Involved

Columbus, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office culture and people, and the fact that I got to do real work. I was almost always kept busy, and not just making copies and running errands.

Nothing really- it has been a great experience

The pay and hours are good. The company gives you many opportunities for growth and development. The company culture is great, and my office in particular has a great atmosphere. The people are really nice and fun to work with.

Advice to Management

It is a pretty ideal place to work.

What it is like to work in retirement

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone in my office is very supportive and wiling to take time to asnwer my questions, no matter how big or small.

Sometimes, there isn't enough work.

Feel free to ask a lot of questions.

Very good internship that greatly increased my knowledge about retirement consulting and actuarial work in general.

Cleveland, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were great. Excellent office environment. Good pay and work life balance. Was given meaningful work to do and learned a lot about the company and retirement consulting as well.

Not always a steady amount of work for me to do.

If you are at all interested in actuarial work, this internship is a great way to get introduced to the field and learn about this line of work.

Advice to Management

Offer a better housing/ relocation stipend. For anyone who is not living at home during the internship, the current housing/relocation stipend is almost negliable after taxes are taken out compared to the cost of renting a place for the summer and other travel expenses.

Being an actuary is fun

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the people and relaxed environment

the endless opportunity to learn

the people here a so great, supportive, and nice. it's really a great place to work

Actuarial Pension Plans 101

Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were fantastic. The office environment was also very good. It was a work-hard play-hard atmosphere. Being in Chicago was also exciting.

The work can be somewhat repetitive and bland.

Mercer offers a wide range of opportunities for actuaries. It is a great place to kick off your career, with a young group of employees and great experience to work on top tier clients from day one. They do a great job of helping you study for exams and supplying you with study days and very few people work more than 50 hours in a given week.

Advice to Management

The core of our work is defined benefit plans which are rapidly disappearing. This is putting some stress on the business to look for new ways to expand the business to fill the void. Training would be helpful on topics such as client meetings and working with software.