Mercer Employee Health & Benefits Consulting Intern Internship

Gaining exposure to the dynamic worlds of consulting and healthcare
Washington, DC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were attending client meetings and working with more senior level people in the office on projects they thought may be done differently by someone of my age and experience.

Some days were slower than others, but I understand that it's difficult to assign work when I don't have my own clients.

To a candidate evaluating Mercer as a potential employer, assess your interest in healthcare and consulting in general. Mercer is extremely flexible and believes in providing first-class work while retaining a happy employee population.

Advice to Management

I wish I had known about the opportunity to receive a housing stipend before my offer was signed.

Gaining Confidence and Efficiency through Increased Responsibility
Norwalk, CT | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the emphasis Mercer puts on mentoring from the onset of the internship- both my "buddy" and supervisor were approachable and supportive throughout the summer. Along the same lines, I really appreciated the team projects I was able to be a part of. Working with four other colleagus to align/consolidate benefits for a client's three separate business units was great for my profressional development. This project was rewarding because there was no clearcut answer from the start- delivering the best course of action to our client required financial analysis and extensive employee health considerations. The workflow was consistent, and my responsibilities increased as I proved certain capabilities. Lastly, the Norwalk office is a great balance of competitive and collegial.

I would have liked to connect with other H&B interns around the country, especially those working in New York and Hartford.

I would inform candidates about the ad hoc nature of intern work in Mercer H&B. I have gained exposure to a variety of clients in terms of size, location, and industry, and I have learned more about H&B consulting for it. I would also communicate to interns that Mercer does a great job strengthening professional relationships through office social events outside of work hours.

Advice to Management

Mercer should consider recruiting at Duke University. Sister company, Oliver Wyman, recruits on campus, as well as H&B competitors.

I have met the best people and had the best experience here at my internship; it has definitely exceeded my expectations
Charlotte, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-the people

-the fact that i was doing valuable work

-I was considered part of the team

-there was nothing really I did not like about my internship

This internship has definitely given me the opportunity to meet all types of people and gain several connections. One thing that is notable is that your goals are very important to everyone and if you seek their help, they will all help you reach them.

Advice to Management

-I think that the hours and compensation are good for a starting intern. The employee retention, specifically in our office is very high and everyone is appreciated and acknowledged for their work.

Mercer offers interns real-world experience and a taste of government health care consulting.
Phoenix, AZ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing actual work. I wrote SAS code that was used in creating real products that were then delivered to actuarial and used to craft client deliverables.

At times there was not much work to be done. This makes for long, boring stretches of time.

There is a steep learning curve involved with SAS programming. This is especially true for people unfamiliar with the language like myself. However, the employees and training at Mercer make it a relatively painless process. I was able to learn a vast amount about SAS coding and programming in my short 10 weeks and apply those skills to actual projects. This enabled me to get a feel for what a full-time position at the company would be like.

Meaningful work and industry exposure in an office with great people and culture.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting the opportunity to work with experienced people in the firm/industry from the first few weeks.

Didn't always like some of the tedious busy work, but that comes with the internship.

Come into the internship ready to learn, because a lot of the information necessary to doing the job is learned on the job and not in the classroom. Be willing to seek help early so you can get up to speed as soon as possible.

A productive summer
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of this internship was doing 'real work,' while still learning from the full-time employees.

I didn't like that some days I felt like I wasn't doing anything. Other days I was very busy, but a couple of days a week I felt as if I was sitting TOO idle.

Make the most of it, it's a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

I'd try to make the internship a little more structured in terms of tutorials, so that we can learn more efficiently.

Educational and rewarding experience that allowed for an inside look into the world of health and employee benefits consulting.
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people.

As an intern I fully understand why and expect to do some repetitious and intellectually unstimulating work…that doesn’t mean I like to do it though.

Mercer has a flexible dress and work environment that allows for independence and growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

I think I'd be forcing something here. In my 2 months of working, so far, they're doing a pretty good job.

The people really make the office a fun place to be.
Washington, DC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people in the office.

Get bored fast.

Be ready to be challanged and have a great summer.

Advice to Management

Try to make it more client related.

H&B is filled with great people that want to help you develop into a full-time analyst.
Norwalk, CT | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Fun environment. Flexible hours. Flexible work place.

Little client facing experience. Somewhat repetitive work.

Know what benefits consulting is and why you want to do it. Having a background in insurance is a huge advantage.

Learn all about health and benefits plans, as well as Excel
Saint Louis, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned a lot about how to use Excel better and I learned a ton about the health and benefits insurance.

Consisted of a lot of less exciting projects, but such is the life of an intern

It is a great place to work, and if you want to work with health plans this is the place to be!

Advice to Management

It was great!