Mercer Employee Health & Benefits Consulting Intern Internship

Real world experience combined with fantastic people and great culture.
Seattle, WA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people working at Mercer put the internship over the top. Also, being able to work on real projects and confront real problems made the internship pertinent to my skills and major.

Working in the healthcare industry would not have been my top choice.

Come with working knowledge of Excel and other database solutions. The biggest learning curve with Mercer is learning Excel, and so if you come prepared you can hit the ground running.

The Best Internship Out There!
Seattle, WA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Great experience applicable to any industry
-Stimulating work
-Compensation
-Great people willing to lend a hand at any moment
-Work-Life Balance

-Sometimes requires tedious intern work

Apply! And market yourself as a well-rounded individual who is more than a high GPA.

A great introduction to the benefits consulting industry
Norwalk, CT | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the hours (worked 9-5 everyday), and I was able to learn a ton about health insurance and benefits consulting.

I always felt like I had to search for work, and there were some very slow days. In addition, because I was not licensed to "produce" or "consult" in insurance, the types of things I could do were somewhat limited.

When things are slow, go around the office and proactively ask if people need help. I did this 3-4 times a week, and people appreciated it.

Advice to Management

I think that the Norwalk office should give the interns more teams and/or put them on teams that don't also have new hires.

Introduction to human resources consulting applying and understanding employee health and benefits.
Boston, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Amount of responsibility given.

Lack of formal internship program and training.

You have to be proactive about asking for projects and more responsibility, do not be afraid to speak up and be open about your skills. If you ask, you will be given the work, if you do not you will sit on your computer doing nothing.

Advice to Management

More formal training process and connections to new hires around the nation, interns convention or the sorts.

Fantastic internship and learning opportunity with respected name and smart yet friendly coworkers.
Phoenix, AZ | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Coworkers are very nice, approachable and interesting.
-Meaningful work, time passes very quickly on the job

-Can be very busy and stressful at times

-Fantastic place to learn and feel good about the work that is being done

Advice to Management

-Better intern evaluation process (more transparent and universal)

Learn, get paid, and do real work!

Spending time with coworkers

Some of the work was boring

Learn about health care/ health insurance before you start.

I was fortunate to meet so many wonderful people and learn more about the changing healthcare industry.
Dallas, TX | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone at Mercer is very supportive and understanding. It is rare that someone will not have the time to help you. Additionally, everyone is very happy because of the excellent work/life balance. Very few people had so much to do that it interfered with their lives outside the office.

The only source of training is online videos and they take a few days to get through.There is not hands on training for more difficult tasks. If you want to learn more about a process or work element, you have to find someone with enough time to teach it to you. Although all Mercer employees are very willing to teach, it can be difficult and daunting to find someone with times that match your schedule. Also, some of the work is very repetitive and dull. Also, you do not get the opportunity to work with other interns in your office.

Mercer is an excellent company to work for with many valuable resources. It is also an excellent way to get to know the healthcare/insurance industry better. As an intern at Mercer, do not be afraid to ask questions about your work assignment or the industry itself. However, try to solve your problems on your own before asking for help from others.

Advice to Management

I think it would help integrate interns if there was a formal training process or presentation for the interns in their first few days of work. This could help the interns get to know each other and Mercer faster.

Excellent and warm company, but internship program needs more structure and perks.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, engaging work, lots of ownership, a lot of responsibility and independence

Little structure, long and meaningless training, lack of maintained guidance from supervisor

Personality matters a lot-- when you're interviewing, make sure you click with those who may be your future co-workers. Also be sure to be proactive and ask lots of questions when you're lost-- this company is warm and friendly, so they will welcome that.

Advice to Management

Lifestyle is great (very manageable hours), and Mercer does a great job with diversity and women's initiative. Training can be a little more pointed (sometimes, it feels like a meeting that has no resolve). There can be made greater transparency between co-workers (what projects are each other working on?)

Fantastic work environment that set a high standard for the rest of my career
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture, coworkers, diversity of work, ability to work directly with very senior consultants and partners

Narrow field within consulting.

Great culture, good learning experience, repetitive workstreams

Advice to Management

Higher compensation; more structured, extensive training program

Employee Benefits & Consulting Crash Course
Atlanta, GA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone in the office was very helpful and wanted me to have a great experience. I got to attend a few client meetings for presentations that I had actually worked on for that specific client. I was assigned to projects that actually challenged me to think, not just busy work. I was assigned a "buddy" who acted as my mentor and a supervisor and they were both incredibly helpful and great resources.

I had a lot of down time in between the work I was given. Someone would give me something to do and I would finish it and then just wait around until someone else had something new for me to do. I would always go around and ask people if they had any work I could do for them, but people often times didn't want to have to take the time to explain to me what to do because by then they could've just done it themselves and everyone was relatively busy this summer.

My internship at Mercer was a great experience overall. I learned a lot about employee benefits, consulting, and just the professional workplace environment in general. Consulting is a very fast-paced environment and is a great field for anyone who likes to always have something to do and is good at multitasking. I would definitely recommend this internship to other students, especially those majoring in Risk Management & Insurance.

Advice to Management

I heard from a lot of the analysts that Mercer has a problem retaining analysts and promoting them to the associate level; this concerns me and makes me doubt whether or not I want to work at Mercer full-time. Many analysts have quit recently due to the hiring from outside rather than promoting from within.