Mercer Employee Health & Benefits Actuarial Intern Internship

Fast-paced internship with heavy emphasis on team collaboration and individual responsibility
Minneapolis, MN | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Aside from the seriously amazing individuals that I had the opportunity to work with, the corporate culture there was fantastic; it was an absolute pleasure to work with some amazingly intelligent people. Right away I felt like a valued individual, I had others coming up to me excited to teach me something new and to get my help. Mercer was hassle-free when it came to scheduling some time off around my exam I took over the summer as well.

The only real con of the internship was the fact that we had two new hires and two interns competing for low-level work in a small department of (~40), at times it made the consistency of workflow poor, but usually wasn't a problem.

The people here are amazing, and the work that you do is extremely satisfying. It's the right mixture of a challenging and nurturing environment, and you won't regret choosing here for a summer internship.

Excellent opportunity to learn actuarial work, be challenged, and enjoy your summer.
Richmond, VA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was the attention and care that the employees paid to the interns. They really invest a lot of time into intern training and making sure the interns are learning and having the best experience possible.

Nothing I liked least.

If you want to experience what an actuary actually does and learn how to do day-to-day work, this is the place. Come prepared to learn and do actual work.

Friendly people and interesting work
Richmond, VA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to work with a lot of different people, and there was a lot of variety in the work I did.

Sometimes the work was slow, and I didn't have much to do.

Everyone I worked with had a great attitude, and was more than willing to help me in any way. The office was a pleasant place to be.

Advice to Management

Assistance in finding housing

It felt like I was a full time employee
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

the corporate culture was unbelievable, as was the mentorship that I received. I also truly felt like what I was doing mattered and that it wasn't just "intern work"

The hours were long, but other than that no complaints

don't be afraid to ask lots of questions - you'll learn so much and everyone is willing to help you out.

An interesting, challenging, fun, and engaging work experience in an important idustry
San Francisco, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging, but the environment is very supportive. Large opportunity for advancement if you work hard, by the end of the internship, I was training other people.

I am finding it very difficult to think of a negative experience that I had. Commuting to and from San Francisco is not extremely pleasant.

Try your very best no matter the task, and do not be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

I needed a little more guidance on proper billing of hours. Early in the internship, I accidentally billed more hours than I should have because I was learning along the way and took longer than normal.