Mercer Employee Health & Benefits Actuarial Intern Internship

Great learning experience.

The best part of the internship was that my responsibilities were the exact same as other entry-level employees. I was treated as if I worked there full-time.

Sometimes I didn't have enough work to keep me busy. But I definitely had work the majority of the time.

It's a great place to work and start a career.

Date: 2013

Hands-on, real-life experience of actuarial duties in a great environment!

My favorite aspect of the internship would have to be the people here in the office. Everyone was extremely welcoming and very kind, always willing to stop and explain what was going on and answer my questions. I also enjoyed the fact that I was able to work on actual client work, and participate in client projects. My results were used, and mattered! Although this could lead to a little stress at times, especially when first learning the various types of projects, I appreciate the responsibility I was handed, and the opportunity to grow from such responsibilities.

My least favorite thing about the internship would have to be the 8-hour work day in the cubicle. The experience was a lot better than I expected, but at the same time, sitting in a cubicle 40 hours a week can be draining. I also disliked how far the internship was from my hometown. It was nice to be able to live on my own for the summer, but I did not realize how much I would miss being able to see my family.

Overall, I had a really great internship experience. The people, the office, and the pay were all great. I think the people you are surrounded by really make or break your work experience. All the people in the office were a pleasure to work with, and the analysts were all extremely nice and welcoming on both a professional and personal level. This is important to keep in mind wherever you go, whoever you work for. Get a feel for the workplace environment, make sure it is somewhere you would want to work, and with a majority of people who you enjoy being around. Also, with my specific internship and experience here, I really appreciated the opportunity to grow. There is an ability here to carve out your own path, and take your career where you want it to go. This is important for when you start working full-time, for your own future.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I was paid very well and worked the typical 40-hour week in the office. I did notice that full-time hires tended to work longer hours, but they are also paid accordingly, so nothing to complain about there! The only thing that could be changed might be the training aspect. It would have been nice to receive an updated list of "how-to" steps for each type of model/project, in addition to the typical training, that might address some issues that interns usually face when first starting their internship here. Based on my own experience though, such issues were easily solved by asking my co-workers for their advice and help whenever I ran into something unfamiliar. So overall, changing that is not necessary, but might make the first few weeks a little easier and less demanding for the full-time workers as well.

Date: 2013

The goal is to do everything correctly and as efficiently as possible while still keeping a balance with your life outside of work.

It was an excellent learning environment and I appreciated their balance between work and play. They have a strong work ethic but still value their people and that is one thing I find very important. I liked everyone that I worked with and am very grateful for the experience.

I wish it was longer so that I could have more time here once I had settled in. However, since I am still in school, summer really is the only time that I could fully commit to a job like this so I understand why it is the length that it is.

You have to be willing to work hard but they are always more than willing to help and answer questions. I have learned a lot in the few months that I have been here and it is definitely worth the effort that I have put in.

Advice to Management

Some of trainings could be more on schedule. Also, it was almost too busy to get the full help I needed in some instances. Although, this is one of their busiest times of the year so both of these things are to be expected.

Hard work pays off

Real world experience Plenty of opportunities

Waking up early

They are a very well organized company and one of the best, if not the best, in their field. They provide plenty of opportunities to learn and gain experience.

Gain a Wel-Rounded View of Actuarial Work and Health Insurance

The people in the office are very fun. The analysts are all under 25 making for a great environment, they even get together regularly outside of work.

Sitting at adesk all day, and towards the later part of the internship I was sitting at adesk with nothing work related to do for most of the day.

Overall a good company compared to my other internship, it will definetly show you if Actuarial work is what you want to do with your life.

Date: 2013

An extended transition into the duties of a full-time analyst.

The social outings and how friendly everyone is.

Not allowed to work overtime -- would like more hours available in order to take on more challenging and time-consuing projects. The time constraint stopped me from being able to accept larger projects.

Have more office-wide socials. There were many intern socials, but the people you're going to work with (hopefully) are the people in your office, not the other interns.

Date: 2013

Learn from some of the brightest people out there

Bright people, exposure to a wide variety of projects in the industry

Uneven workflow, old technology

Work starts and stops but it is a great group of people and you will always be challenged

Date: 2013

Great place to work in if you are interested in healthcare consulting

Work culture and the atmosphere in the office Flexibility Work/Life Balance

The internship can be structured better. There maybe a lot of work in a week and no work in another

Be proactive and ask any healthcare-related questions that you may have. There are not many trainings available and everything is learn as you work on different projects and models.

Dynamic Internship About Current Health Care Issues

I liked learning about all the health care laws and reform. Everyone at the office is really friendly and supportive.

I was tired everyday.

If you like to be constantly learning new things on the job, this internship is for you.

Advice to Management

Management should have a more structured program.

Date: 2013

Excel, Excel, Excel. A little Access, Excel, Excel, Excel.

I improved my Excel skills quite a bit. I learned a lot about the health and benefits industry, and made some good connections.

Wish I would have seen the results of my work more. I felt like I did a lot of work, but never really saw how it was used.

Make sure you are ok with doing work with very little guidance. Most people won't tell you everything you need to know, so you need to be able to figure things out.

Advice to Management

Very little big picture training. Most of the instruction I had was focused on small issues, not how the small issues applied to the bigger picture