L.E.K. Consulting, Australia – Summer Associate Program (Undergraduate) Internship

Date: 2013

An incredible introduction to management consulting in a great firm with a fantastic culture!

The people I worked with were fantastic. All were very friendly, welcoming and supportive. I got great exposure on the cases, was given considerable responsibility and was able to make a real contribution to the team and the final pack that was presented to the client. Feedback was great. Training was great. Culture was great.

Nothing really comes to mind, I couldn't have asked for more as an intern.

Do as much as you can to get to know the people you're working with, ask lots of questions and look at everything as an opportunity to learn.

Advice to Management

Some interns got more exposure to cases/substantive work than others. Would be good if the allocation was a bit more evenly spread

Date: 2013

Hard work but a rewarding experience in a friendly office environment

The friendly office culture, the training and exposure to how management consulting operates and the remuneration.

The hours combined with the periods of time in the middle of the day spent waiting for work to be given to me. Means that you spend a lot of hours at work but the sum total of work you complete could probably be completed significantly faster.

You have to be prepared to work hard, however that is the case with most management consulting or finance industry roles. However, the company provides great training and mentoring and the office culture is very friendly, so it makes it an enjoyable place to work.

Advice to Management

Hours is a common complaint in management consulting. Specifically for interns having things to keep them occupied during quiet times, particularly as they are probably hav eless flexibility than actual consultants.

Date: 2013

An amazing insight into Consulting and a variety of industries

Great workplace with a very welcoming attitude. Amazing on the job training and support. You were not treated like an intern so got a real insight into the industry.

At times, due to the season that the internship was being conducted there was not an immense amount of work so could be left with little to do.

Ask as many questions as you have, everyone is very helpful and will happily help you out. It is better to ask a question and get help/learn then spend a while struggling. Also get to know everyone in the office and solicialise!

Advice to Management

Potentially find tasks/jobs for interns to do if it is very quiet. Also don't be afraid to tell interns to stay late- make the internship the same as full time work- with the same hours and expectations.

Date: 2013

Exciting and fast paced work with great people

After training you're put straight into the thick of things either being put on a new case or being inserted into an existing case team. You're given responsibility for work straight away with support around you to help when needed.

Not so much a reflection of the program itself, but in general as an intern you don't feel as engaged in the organisation because you know it is only for a short period of time.

You really need to get to know the people. The work is going to be similar elsewhere but the people are quite different

Exciting and intellectually stimulating

Variety of projects (worked on 5 different projects in 2 months), opportunity to work with and learn from very talented colleagues

N/A

Be honest with yourself - look beyond the glitz and glamour of the industry and consider whether or not you truly want the lifestyle, are the projects truly what you are passionate about, is the culture collaborative or competitive, are you going to have good growth opportunities and are people willing to teach / mentor

Date: 2013

A real hands-on introduction to true strategy consulting with stimulating work and excellent training.

Training, work culture, exposure to real work.

The work allocation was a bit hit and miss in terms of getting access to a variety of work in the short time we were interning.

L.E.K. has a true work hard, play hard culture so if you enjoy that, then L.E.K. is a place you will thrive. The majority of engagements at L.E.K. are very strategy or due dilligence oriented, with performance improvement being just a small part of what the firm does (but that is definitely changing). L.E.K. historically takes on many shorter term engagements of 3-6 weeks so you're likely to be on quite a few different cases in your first year. At junior levels, the work tends to be quite research-oriented, with Associates generally being responsible for conducting market research, phone interviewing and gathering data. Client interaction at Associate level tends to be minimal although client secondments come up from time to time. The majority of the work will be office-based which is a bonus for those who prefer not to travel everyday. Some of the highlights of L.E.K. include its structured training curriculum, the availability of international "swaps" (working in another L.E.K. office abroad for six months) and its sponsoring of top-tier MBA programs. The promise of a fully paid MBA at the likes of Harvard is probably one of the biggest drawcards to the firm that allows potential candidates to easily look past its relatively low profile brand. Socially, the firm holds a number of social functions throughout the year and the teams tend to be very cohesive, a byproduct of working mostly from the office rather than from client sites. As is common in Consulting, you can expect to work long but not meaningless hours. L.E.K. emphasises not letting your work leak into your personal life and thus discourages you from working after hours from home or on weekends. I would say the kind of exposure and training you receive will be almost on par with what you would see at a McKinsey, Bain or BCG albeit with shorter engagements and often smaller clients. All in all, I'd recommend L.E.K. as a great place to launch your career.

Date: 2013

Great introduction to the world of business strategy and life in a consulting firm

- good work hours (relative to comparable firms). Management actively promoted keeping healthy work hours, and there were plenty of social events organised. The only late nights were in the build-up to an important deadline. - a friendly and close-knit office culture. From Associates to Partners, the people in the Melbourne office went out of their way to make me feel welcome. - Good training at the start of the internship. The first week was spent on skills-development. - Being part of a case-team was a good way to learn the ropes quickly. I was surprised by how much I'd learnt in two months about business strategy and the lifecycle of a case. - Whether your background is in Engineering, Arts, Commerce, Science, etc. you'll be brought up to the same skill-level and standard pretty quickly. I was nice to know that I doesn't really matter what your academic background is (just be willing to learn quickly!)

- After the first week, there was much less time spent on development and training. The degree of training and personal development largely depends on the Consultant that you are partnered with (though I was lucky in this respect). - Depending on the cases the firm is dealing with at the time, a Summer Associate might be working on one case for the duration of their internship, or on many small cases. Accordingly, the 'sample' of clients, industries and type of work a Summer Associate is exposed to is difficult to predict, and is subject to whatever is 'on the firm's plate' at the time. Having said this, skills are largely transferable across cases, and the types of skills an intern will acquire would be largely the same whether they worked on one big case, or many small ones.

As I noted above, you can take it for certain that the office environment will be friendly - definitely not isolating or overly-competitive. So, if considering this role, First, really ask yourself, 'am I prepared to commit to this program?' The internship is a lot of (rewarding) work, but if you have your doubts the two months might seem very long. The role requires a lot of time spent on excel conducting quantitative analyses or compiling data - again, ask yourself if this is something you are prepared to do (while you do receive training on strategy, long hours working with a spreadsheet is a fact of the job). The organisation seems to value academic rigour, innovation, creative problem-solving, and thoroughness: it is not an organisation for cowboys. A love of learning and thoughtful analysis is just as important as a love of business.

Date: 2013

An unusually deep experience of strategy consulting

High degree of case exposure and great learning experience. Fantastic culture and great to be embraced as part of the team, rather than just "the interns". I definitely appreciated the longer length of the internship compared to other firms, as it allowed time to settle in and apply what was learnt in the first few weeks

Sometimes I didn't have enough to do - although I think this was a reflection of the business environment at the time and not the firm itself

Don't be put off by the smaller size of the firm or the fact that it is less well known - its size is actually a huge advantage as it means more responsibility and more interesting work to do. The firm is also highly regarded even though it is less well known that some of the bigger firms.

Variety

The first year associates and other talented people that took the time to get to know me and help me out.

The variability of the hours but that is inevitable in the industry and, as best it could be, it was managed by team leaders reasonably well.

It is a good firm with very intelligent people who do take a genuine interest in your development, even when projects get busy.

Date: 2013

great team of fun and passionate people

the people were very open and accepting. even though there were only two interns in the office, they included us in all social events including christmas festivities and informally organised weekend getaways.

the absence of interaction with the clients

very fun organisation to be a part of. good work life balance - working hours were 9-7.

Advice to Management

n/a

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)