Intern at Cornerstone Research Summer Analyst Program? Submit a Review

Well integrated into the analyst life

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Crunch time was the best as I learnt a great deal and felt like I was contributing to the team.

Lack of work.

I wish I would've known that tasks are given in very discrete fashion, so there will be ebbs and flows in the amount of work. That means you don't manage a work stream, unlike other consultancies. Also you spend more time during the day alone with the monitor than you'd expect, since the work is mostly done on SAS and excel.

Advice to Management

Giving summers more work would've been great. Remember that we are here not only for the pay and benefits, but mainly to learn and develop. You can't develop when you have nothing to do.

Learned to code with data and solve business problems professionally.

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning to code and being given genuine ownership and responsibility for important tasks for the company.

Nothing that I can think of.

Coding will likely be a larger part of your experience than you may realize.

A firm that truly cares about your development above all. Great people, challenging work, and a fast paced learning environment.

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to actually contribute to the analysis and the case team. I didn't feel sheltered at all and was able to develop analysis that were sent directly to the client. The firm also takes a great interest in your development and will provide you with opportunities to learn new skills, even if the same task might've taken somebody else less time.

The hours and work schedule can be quite variable. This seems like it is pretty common across the industry but can make having plans outside of the office difficult during busier times of the year.

For me, the work being interesting was a given and the work certainly is interesting. However, what sets Cornerstone apart is their interest in your development. Your managers will do their best to provide you opportunities to learn the skills that you want to learn.

Underestimated culture and great place to start out after college

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Collegial environment, free food/social perks, opportunities for data analysis

Actual work lacks social purpose

It is not a "try hard" company like management consulting. People are laid back but get work done.

Advice to Management

More quantitative work for summer interns

What value does an ocean view bring to a luxury hotel? What else adds value for the consumer? (within the context of a class action lawsuit)

Great opportunity to think analytically and contribute to significant cases

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Engaging/exciting work

Sometimes unpredictable hours

Ask questions, try to learn even during more manual tasks, meet people

Advice to Management

Be more upfron about future workloads and priorities; overall, helpful and supportive!

Growth Through Learning

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

We received excellent training and I learned so many new skills in the short 10 weeks I was here. Everyone in the office was so willing to help and give tips for the different tasks required. You are really treated like an actual analyst and receive the same kind of work as a first year employee.

The hours can be long and your workload in this field entirely depends on what cases you want and the demands of a court schedule. These cons are more for the industry than Cornerstone specifically, however.

You will learn most of the skills you need on the job! Even if you think you know a specific language or program, you will have to learn so many new things when you get here. However, brushing up on Excel skills would be a useful exercise before starting, though is not necessary.

Advice to Management

On-campus recruiting could be invested in more. I would have appreciated more events to get to know the company! I almost did not even know they existed, had I not accidently met someone from here.

Each interview is an actual case your interviewer worked on, and you will simply talk through all of the problems they faced during their analysis. You will be asked questions such as "We need to come up with a value for _____. To do this, we might start with X. How could you do X"? Though this is vague, it demonstrates that your interviewer walks you through the case, rather leaving you all on your own to do the talking (like in strategy consulting). Cornerstone stresses the team brainstorming aspect. Your interviewer will give you hints if you are stuck, too! So listen attentively.

Learning more in one summer then two years at college.

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experiencing more then one side of the business, getting hands on experience, being pushed to try new analysis with different programs.

Hours were long during filing periods, sometime there is a lull in workload.

You must stay on top of you work and it will take a while to get used to the standards and way of everyday life in the office.

Rigorous economic analysis in a genial environment

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Supportive environment and deep learning

I cannot think of any.

Learn more about the industries the firm deals with to be prepared about which area you want to get exposure to.

Advice to Management

I understand a lot of the work is best done on the job. Yet it would be a good idea to give some learning resources before the internship to the incoming summer analysts so they can go ahead to take on some skillsets. However, I have to say personally I enjoyed tremendously the first few days of learning lots of new knowledge in a short amount of time.

Challenging, rewarding, fulfilling.

Menlo Park, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learned many skills necessary for the industry, worked with smart consulting staff at all levels of the company.

Sometimes you must learn things on the fly for an assignment for casework in which training was not provided.

Be open to try new things and be outside of your comfort level. It will only improve you're experience since everyone is willing to help you learn.

Intro to economic consulting

Menlo Park, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture, atmosphere, and learning opportunities.

Variability of work availability.

Come with a goal in mind.