Cornerstone Research Summer Analyst Program Internship

Excellent Internship Experience

1) Company Culture -- Absolutely the standout aspect of Cornerstone. Any company can put on social events for interns (and Cornerstone did), but this was a fun place to work every day. I genuinely enjoyed working here, above and beyond compensation and career advancement opportunities. 2) Training -- Although my internship was only 10 weeks, Cornerstone invested significant time into making sure I developed valuable skills during my time there. There were specific, planned training days focusing on developing Excel, SAS, and other skills. I went into this internship knowing very little about Excel, but I think I learned far more than my friends who had other consulting internships. Again, though, anyone can have training days; what sets Cornerstone apart is that everyone is willing to take time out of their day not just to show you how to do something, but also to make sure that you really learn and can apply your skills to other situations. 3) Opportunity to Contribute -- No one babied me or gave me "grunt work". Managers listened to my ideas in meetings, and I didn't feel like I was treated much differently from the full-time Analysts. 4) Work-Life Balance -- I stayed late a couple times to meet deadlines, but mostly I worked from about 8:30 - 6. I never felt like I absolutely had to stay late if I had other obligations, but given the team nature of the work I sometimes chose to stay late to help out when I technically didn't have to. Others did the same for me. 5) Pay -- Definitely not a detracting factor. You might be able to get higher pay somewhere else by sacrificing all of the above benefits, but the pay is definitely not stingy.

1) No Travel -- It just isn't that kind of job. There aren't really off-site clients to travel to, and there usually isn't much need to travel between offices. This didn't really bother me, but if you absolutely have to travel to be satisfied, this isn't the internship for you. 2) "Niche" Field -- The skills you learn are definitely widely applicable, but almost every project is centered around a legal case. You will definitely enjoy working here more if you at least find legal intricacies interesting.

Accept your offer? This is a great place to work. In retrospect, I wouldn't trade my summer at Cornerstone for one at any other economic or management consulting firm.

Advice to Management

Not a lot. More feedback throughout the internship? It wasn't an issue because there weren't any significant problems over the summer, but was never quite sure how I was doing until the end when I got an offer (at which point I figured everyone was satisfied).

Great experience

The culture - mostly young analysts/associates/managers within the office, very friendly, collegial atmosphere. The work - very interesting, most cases involve large well-known companies, learned a lot about many industries. The mentorship - assigned multiple mentors at varying levels of seniority. Overall it was a great place to work. I was excited to come in every day.

Full-time employment opportunities were kept relatively secret; didn't know where I stood many a time. Though interns who got offers were told on the last day of the internship.

Ask any and all questions. Ask for performance reviews from your managers and fellow analysts. 10 weeks flies by very quickly.

Date: 2012

Supportive, team-oriented work environment with opportunities to learn and exposure to a variety of tasks

Work place culture, help always available when needed, exposure to both quantitative and qualitative tasks, structured training, ability to network, really felt like a part of the firm

Nothing, it was a great internship!

Requires strong quantitative and qualitative skills, ability to work alone but also in teams

Date: 2012

Amazing work culture, meaningful and challenging work, great mentorship and friendly colleagues.

Work culture was great - there was a strong focus on the intern's needs, in terms of mentoring, interest, work-life balance, and social life.

Not much opportunity to work on a variety of projects.

Greatly values their people, gives them superior mentoring, advancement, and social opportunities.

Date: 2012

Amazing Exposure Into Law, Economics, and Teamwork.

The case work was extremely high-profile and the hours were great.

Commuting to Menlo Park was a bit of a pain.

Great experience if interested in law, economics, and/or business.

Date: 2012

Great company with great people and (mostly) interesting work.

- Great people and culture - Good compensation and benefits

- Some cases involve less than exciting work

Office culture varies from office to office, so make sure to ask around and do some research online.

Great Learning Experience While Maintaining a Great Social Life

I was given a lot of responsibility when I demonstrated that I could handle it. I had great working hours. People were very helpful and always willing to teach me.

The work got too technical at times. There was too much time spent checking and redoing work to incorporate small changes.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. Keep asking for more to do.

Date: 2012

Fun, demanding experience as analyst at prestigious economic consulting firm.

The office environment was fantastic. Every employee was extremely welcoming and helpful. The work, though challenging, was manageable and helped make the role feel more like a real job and not simply a typical internship.

The hours could be demanding at times, and the work was occasionally tedious. However, given the learning curve for some of the more advanced techniques and relatively short length of employment, this was probably necessary.

I believe it is important to stress that hours may fluctuate greatly depending on current demands, and this may not be ideal for certain candidates.

Advice to Management

The training time for summer analysts was short and left most feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information to process. Spending some additional time on training might be helpful in increasing the difficulty of the tasks an intern could be expected to complete.

Date: 2012

Intellectually challenging experience working on interesting litigation cases with a great group of people.

- Intellectual challenge case work provided. - Opportunity to learn about a variety of interesting industries. - Opportunity for thought leadership as a summer intern. - Motivated, smart, and genuine colleagues. - Relaxed office culture.

- Repetitive document review at times.

Cornerstone's two main advantages are the intellectual challenge of the job and your co-workers. First, it provides the opportunity to think through complex issues and produce analysis and arguments that are solid enough to stand up to the opposing side's rebuttal. Second, you get to work with a motivated yet relaxed group of smart people who enjoy what they do, create an often fun environment, and value your input.