Intern at Bates White Summer Consultant Program? Submit a Review

Very Impressive Internship

Washi, DC | August 2015 | FORMER INTERN

There is a significant amount of work, which is both meaningful and challenging. Summer Consultants are able to actively participate in the cases that they work on. The summer program is very important to the company and that is apparent in the way they treat it. There are numerous events both during work and outside of work that help integrate the summers into the firm, meet people at all levels, and enjoy the summer.

Only somewhat significant downside is that depending on your case the workload could vary drastically day-to-day or week-to-week.

Comments

After the first few weeks you are expected to perform comparably to a new full-time hire, which is great if you are capable.

Stimulating, quantitative learning

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt like I was a major part of the team of consultants I worked with during my whole internship. I was given challenging, stimulating work, and my opinion was valued throughout the whole process. Fellow employees are awesome! They're willing to help and answer any questions. Other perks were there, too, including company dinners and events. It really seemed as if they were personally concerned with our future career paths.

Sometimes the work was tedious as you could be working on the same project for several weeks.

You will experience a little bit of everything: economics, statistics, law, etc.

Qualitative and exciting opportunity to play a vital and impactful role on a team

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but allowed me to learn a lot. I loved the learning process. The people were also so supportive and welcoming. There was a lot of mentorship and support from senior staff. I felt like a part of my case team from day 1.

Nothing. Maybe, that the firm works long hours at crucial parts in its cases but summer consultants are not subject to such long hours.

The Bates White internship was a wonderful opportunity for me to challenge myself, learn a lot about the consulting world, and make a lot of strong connections. I felt like I grew a lot as a person and a businessperson of the summer. It was a great opportunity.

Case interview questions; questions about past leadership and teamwork experience; questions about what makes me interested in the job.

Advice to Management

I don't have a lot of advice. The compensation, promotion policies, and training were all wonderful. I think one piece of advice I would be have would be to try to mitigate the amount of really long days that consultants may have; however, I understand that case work comes with periods during which consultants work lots of hours. I think the firm does a good job of managing its consultants and the amount they work.

Amazing internship with all real work and very good possibility of getting hired.

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to do real work with real datasets. I was able to do econometrics as well. Interns had many outings that were all a lot of fun. The full time employees treated us like we were their equals.

Nothing was bad.

Learn as much as you possibly can about coding and economics while you are there.

Tell me about something you think I don't know anything about. What were your favorite classes? What were your hardest classes?

Pro baseball game, sailing trip on the Chesapeake, wine and dine-- but the best part is somehow still the project work

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Professional development and mentorship: Every week, I would have at least three meetings with people at different levels of the firm asking me how I was doing, if I had any concerns or questions, etc. The support system was incredible.

Work: I was doing meaningful case work-- everything I did contributed to a project, and I never found myself doing "busy work".

Prospect of getting full time offer: If you perform well during the summer, then you have a good chance at receiving a full time offer after the program ends, which is very rewarding.

Other perks: There were lots of networking events-- bowling with managers, happy hour with principals, dinner with partners, scavenger hunt, pod group outing, lunch speaker series, where the summer consultants could meet people across different practice areas. Many people at Bates White are intellectuals at heart, and I enjoyed talking to people about their interests and career paths.

This is fairly standard for any employee in the client services industry, but there were weeks where I worked long hours-- which felt exhausting after several nights in a row.

When you are thinking about Bates White, evaluate what kind of skills you want to develop. If you want to sharpen your technical skills and learn how to work well in teams under pressing deadlines, then this could be the place for you. If you have any interest in litigation processes, such as antitrust cases involving cartels or mergers evaluations between two very prominent companies, then you may find the work very interesting. You can get exposure to a wide range of industries. However, if you are looking for a lot of client interaction, you generally do not get a lot of that at economic consulting firms until you become a manager. Exit options are terrific: people at Bates White get accepted into the top programs for MBA, law, or PhD (often in economics). Others stay at Bates White, go into tech, or even leave to start a career in fashion, you name it...

Legen ... wait for it ... dary

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of group activities for interns. Great work life balance, great career development opportunities.

There was nothing that I didn't like.

I do not believe there is a better internship out there.

Excellent opportunity

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was interesting and realistic. The people were great. The intern activities were pretty fantastic.

The location is the worst part. DC isn't exactly the nicest place to live and work, even though Bates White is in a nice portion of the city.

This internship is a fantastic opportunity, and I would definitely recommend it to someone who wants to work with numbers or analysis. Even if you don't really know what economic consulting is about or if you don't know about living in a city, I'd recommend going for it!

Amazing culture and challenging case work

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

That we were doing real work

Because of the variable nature of cases, some days are much slower than others. I loved the fast paced, busy days before a report was due. But days when case work was light were challenging.

If you are comfortable with numbers and. ASIC statistics, thoughtful, and have strong analytic skills (qualitative or quantitative) with the comprehensive training you receive in your first weeks you will be well equipped to excel here. It's an especially interesting experience for those considering a future in law.

How might a sharp increase in the sale of prescription painkillers in the state of ____ be explained?

Advice to Management

N/a

In this past summer I worked on projects mainly involving research and data analysis, while participating in a number of events.

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone is very welcoming and is willing to answer questions and help. It's enjoyable to work in a team. There are also a lot of fun events for interns to get to know people.

Workload varies a lot from day to day. Sometimes there's too much to work on while sometimes there's not enough to work on.

I think working at Bates White is great opportunity to get exposure to business, economics and law at the same time.

The most rewarding summer yet!

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work, the culture, and the people all make Bates White an excellent place to work!

I had no major or noteworthy complaints about my time at Bates White.

If you are interested in a substantive internship experience that exposes you to real world problems, then Bates White is an excellent opportunity that you should consider.