Bates White Summer Consultant Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #3 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Summer consultant skilled at data analysis, research, and writing

The best aspects were two fold. First, the internship treated me like a full time hire. They gave me real responsibility and meaningful work that contributed to cases. I was able to bill to clients and developed my own skills in the workplace. Secondly, the summer program truly gave a foretaste of full time work in terms of the culture of the firm. The firm has brilliant people who manage great work life balance while producing the highest quality work. I felt priviledged to be integrated into the work of the firm as well as meet the amazing people.

I disliked the transition to full time employment. It was a steep learning curve into my first real job. This was something that I needed to address when beginning in any job, that was not specific to Bates White.

This experience really gives you the breadth of experience that is desirable in an internship. Take advantage of the flexibility that Bates White gives you and take time to develop yourself and really stretch your limits to discover what you like and what you excel at. Bates White will provide you with that time and flexibility because they care about their people.

Date: 2013

Real meaningful work with opportunity for professional development

Good pay, flexible hours, positive work environment, friendly coworkers, weekend activities and dinners, the chance to do meaningful work and contribute to cases and reports

Long hours when reports are due

Make sure to have a familiarity with statistics or econometrics, be comfortable with economics and economic analysis, expect that the nature of the work can be difficult at first but pays off

Amazing lifestyle and skill development at Bates White

So many great work events

There was nothing that sticks out in my mind as a large negative.

You should enjoy and have skill with working with data and understanding data in an economic context

Advice to Management

A formal training seminar on the long term career paths and grad school opportunities should always be included in the program

Date: 2013

A full-time experience of challenging work, amazing coworkers, and great opportunities for growth.

The best part of this internship is that I came away from it with marketable skills (I was not just searching for keywords or copying files). Also, I had so many opportunities to get to know the partners and principals in the firm, which allowed me to understand what a career in this field would be like. I always had something to do on the weekend because of Bates White and never felt like I did not belong.

I cannot give any criticism on this program. I wouldn't change anything about it.

If you are uncertain about what you want to do for a career but enjoy numbers, studying relevant, fascinating topics in the economy, and learning new skill sets that will add value to your resume, this is the place for you.

Date: 2013

Fantastic learning experience where the firm invests in its interns and allows them to build real skills and function as a part of the firm

Firm investment in interns through training, networking events, meaningful tasks, variety of experiences, pay, lots of perks and events including: box seats at Nats game, sailing trip on Potomac, various dinners with leadership, firm is growing so most interns get job offers, no travel

due to 10 week period, didnt get to see full process of a case

If want to economic consulting, can't do better in terms of compensation, perks, firm investment in you

Rigorous, Intellectual, Collaborative, and Fun

Amazing event programming, meaningful work, opportunity to provide input on the projects you wanted to work on, and the people/firm culture. Almost everything about the internship was amazing.

Project work requirements varied substantially. On one particular project with a tight deadline, it was difficult for me to know what to expect with regards to the work. I often found myself asking about upcoming assignments because it was not communicated very clearly to me due to the short timeframe and the business of upper-level management.

If you enjoy a quantitatively rigorous job that requires heavy attention to detail, the work at Bates White would be perfect for you. And if you enjoy a collaborative team setting that emphasizes learning and development, then the culture at Bates White would be perfect for you.

Advice to Management

Compensation is generous, the hours are reasonable for consulting, the people love their jobs, promotions are fair, the firm is diverse, and the training is great. There is only 1 things that I would like to see at Bates White: It would be nice to have more input on projects that one works on. Currently, consultants have input, yet that input is fairly limited. However, from a practical standpoint, it makes sense that Bates White staffs employees based on project needs.

Date: 2013

At Bates White, you and your work are valued.

As mentioned earlier, the fact that the work I was doing was interesting and relevant was important. Management and the team that BW surrounded me with was attuned to my interests and accommodated them. In addition, as a summer, you get a large number of perks and awesome outings, including a really cool sailing trip, a baseball game, and a leadership dinner at a fantastic restaurant.

Not much. There could have been a few more feedback sessions, but overall, I have nothing to complain about.

I think that Bates White does a fantastic job at representing their real case work in their interviews. Despite the pressures of interviewing, if you enjoy working through the problems asked in interviews or can at least see yourself enjoying that, then that is a good indicator of whether or not you'll like the actual job.

Date: 2013

Great hands on experience, interesting work and a fantastic work environment

The work was really interesting and interns were able to do real client work, the office culture was very welcoming, the intern program was well structured with fantastic events, hours were manageable and flexible, the firm was concerned with our professional development

Some of the work can be a little tedious at times

This is a great job for anybody looking for full time employment in economic consulting. Note though that the job is technical and you will be doing a lot of computer programming, although no prior knowledge is expected.

Advice to Management

The firm can be more concerned in making sure interns develop and retain the necessary skills to perform the job successfully.

Date: 2013

Excellent internship--great firm, people, office culture, and skills development.

They really invest a lot in us interns, in terms of skills training, check-ins, activities, lunches, dinners with senior leadership, and other social events throughout the summer. The hours were very reasonable--most interns worked about 40-50 hours a week.

Some interns working on cases with deadlines had to work longer hours at times.

I would definitely recommend it! I think we had the best internship experience out of anyone I know. There is a strong focus on data work, but don't let that scare you, since most people have minimal STATA experience before coming.

Advice to Management

It would be better if Bates White would fully support or reimburse employees who leave to get advanced degrees and then come back to the firm.

Date: 2013

I gained valuable skills while interacting with some of the most intelligent and friendly people I have ever met in an intellectuall.

The culture is incredible. I cannot say enough about the work environment. I felt the firm cared about my long-term success, whether or not I stayed with the firm. The flexibility and work-life balance was better than I expected. The work was interesting and intellectually stimulating. And the program events (dinners, sailing trip, brown bag lunches) were fantastic.

Inconsistency of work. One day might be slow, the other day incredibly busy.

I found the work interesting and the people intelligent and fun. I felt Bates White cared about me and my success. I felt very comfortable asking for feedback on my progress throughout the summer.