Intern at Bates White Summer Consultant Program? Submit a Review

Amazing internship filled with professional skill development opportunities, great people, and challenging projects.

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best parts were definitely the people and friendly work culture of the firm. I also really loved the speaker series lunches, where partners and other high-ranking executives talked about their career paths and work at Bates White.

I can't think of any cons!

I'd advise potential interns to think seriously about whether they're interested in a job in economic consulting post-graduation, because Bates White seeks to hire a majority of the summer consultants. I'd recommend this internship to anyone majoring in Economics!

Advice to Management

I think focusing on greater diversity would be great.

Economic consulting case example questions, which consisted of some brainstorming on economic factors and mental math.

Amazing summer of learning while working on data analytics and econometric analyses

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were all the Summer Consultant Program specific events that occurred both during and outside of the work day. The case study was also incredibly engaging and fun.

The length of training at the beginning of the summer. While it was necessary to have intensive training, the length seemed a tad unjustified for a 10-week internship.

You must like coding and economics. You don't need to know how to code to join the firm but you have to be willing to learn and find that type of work interesting. If you don't, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

I think Bates White does an amazing job at creating a great work environment. I think that the management should continue to operate the way it does and the firm will continue to succeed.

Typical economic questions about profit, costs and other basic economic concepts.

Opportunities for development, learning, and ownership in high-stakes engagements

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed Washington, D.C., and the events put on by the firm were a lot of fun too.

The industry I was assigned to was not my first choice.

The firm is a good size and has a great consistent culture throughout. The people are friendly and willing to help you with your personal goals and development within the firm. Compared to my experience at a large bank last summer, I was somewhat surprised at the level of engagement the firm has with each intern to ensure they have a great experience.

Advice to Management

The only thing I would recommend is more transparency surrounding staffing/practice area assignments. They are understandably tied to firm business and needs within each area, but there must be other criteria in making these assignments and it is not clear what they are.

The perfect place to grow as a professional and as a person

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Bates White's culture is incredible. Despite being an office of around 200 people, the firm is incredibly tight-knit and lives up to the claims of a flat hierarchy. Everyone is very welcoming and eager to help you learn, and as a result you integrate very quickly. It wasn't uncommon for a partner to strike up a conversation with me in the hallway, which was incredibly refreshing and definitely not typical at other firms I've either worked at or heard about.
- The people at Bates White are very talented, from the partners to the management to the first-year consultants.
- The work is intellectually stimulating, challenging, and feels significant. Economic consulting is a very cool industry, and Bates White is one of the best in the business. You learn essential data and economic analysis skills in an interesting setting.
- The events! Bates White really goes out of its way to spoil its interns. From tickets to box seats at Nationals games, to a sailing trip, to countless opportunities for free food and drink, there's no shortage of perks.

There's nothing to dislike.

It's very likely that working at Bates White will aid you in achieving your personal goals. If you hope to stay in the econ consulting industry, there's no firm that emphasizes consultant development and homegrown talent like Bates White. On the other hand, if you want to pursue further education down the road, working at Bates White is an excellent way to hone your skillset and add to your story.

Advice to Management

I hope that management can effectively maintain the special culture as the firm grows. As it stands, management is doing a fantastic job. The only additional advice I have is to resist inertia and expand or modify the set of schools from which the firm recruits. Not only would the already-high talent level of the firm increase, it would also go a long way towards addressing the diversity problem.

The first round interview is one case and a behavioral component. The final round is on-site and consists of several longer cases and behavioral interviews with employees at various levels of the firm. For this

A sneak peak into economic consulting

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Summer consultants were treated like Consultant I's. This allowed me to see what working at the firm would really be like. I also liked that the summer consultant program was very structured and allowed me to get to know employees from Consultant Is all the way up to Partners.

I wish I had been given exposure into case work done by different practice areas.

If you are at all interested in economic consulting, I think that Bates White is a phenomenal place to see what life in the industry is like.

An incredible experience with incredible people.

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture/ people are incredible and warm. Everyone cares about how your experience is going and want you to succeed from partners to new full-time consultants.

The case study took away from more project work. In my opinion, the real-life projects we were on were more fulfilling and interesting to work on but the case study took up a large part of the time.

This company really cares. They are invested in you and want you to come back.

Advice to Management

You really need to emphasize diversity in your upper management. Your lower-level consultants and economists are diverse but beyond that there is little diversity. There are only two female partners and we did not get a chance to meet either of them.

They will directly ask you about what you have written in your cover letter/ writing sample/ resume/ transcript. Know them very well. There will be multiple case-based questions also.

Hands down one of the best internships you could ever land

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Where do I even begin? There are so many aspects of the internship that were amazing. You learn an incredible amount in the course of ten weeks (both information about certain industries, analysis techniques, hard skills such as STATA). You are given opportunities to grow and develop in many different ways (not just in consultant/analysis skills). Through the fundraising event and the case study, you'll have chances to learn to be a leader, to organize, coordinate, and plan a large-scale event. You get to have lots of fun on all the events that are planned: sailing trip, box seats at a Nats game, bowling with the managers, and even more. You get to meet a lot of the higher level partners/managers in the firm and are given so many opportunities to pick their brains and to ask for advice on career choice during the speaker series. Most importantly, you get to be surrounded by some of the most amazing, kind, funny, talented, and intelligent individuals you'll ever meet. Throughout my ten weeks there, I felt valued. I felt like everyone at the firm genuinely cared about me, my experience, and my work, and that really contributed to my experience at Bates White.

Sometimes the work was a bit spiky, so you would get periods of time where there isn't that much to do, and periods of time where you are crazy busy. That is really more a function of the industry itself and is not specific to Bates White. Management tries its best to make this less of a problem by providing you with sponsors that can help you find more work when there is not a lot, and help relieve the stress when the work is amping up.

You should be interested in quantitative work, and also interested in economics (there's a reason this is economic consulting, and not management consulting!). If data analysis, coding, and econometrics are not things you're interested in, this probably won't be the place for you. The work standard here is also quite rigorous and academic.

Advice to Management

I don't think there's really anything really that management should change at this point--everything is really good as is. I have heard some complaints about the overtarget compensation structure, but that didn't really apply to interns. Maybe provide more concrete options for things to do when the work is slow?

Why economic consulting?
Questions about writing sample.
What was the hardest part about your past internship? Why was it hard? How would you approach it differently now?

Meaningful Work

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was doing real work every day that had an impact on how other people looked at a problem or performed an analysis.

There is nothing I did not like about this internship.

Bates White genuinely cares about its employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; it is working very well.

Fabulous training, unbelievable work environment, and rigorous, analytical work opportunities

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at the firm is so friendly and non-competitive that it's a wonderful place to work. I really enjoyed getting to know my coworkers and found that I could connect with them on a much deeper level than just talking about work.

I personally would have liked projects with shorter timelines. Because of the nature of litigation work, the timelines of casework can run very long.

Bates White is an awesome place to work with a great group of people. It's definitely not generalized work; it's economic consulting relating to litigation, so before coming to Bates White, understand that it's not management consulting.

Advice to Management

Because the firm is pretty young still, it could use more diversity in all aspects of the word (including gender and race but also background of experience).

Explain your writing sample.

Tell me why, as a non economics major, you are actually interested and qualified for this job.

Real world economic consulting experience

Washington, DC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Activities with other interns (sailing trips, dinners with partners), real responsibility given

Not applicable, loved the whole internship

Make sure you are interested in quantitative work and can handle it