Intern at Bates White Summer Consultant Program? Submit a Review

Well-rounded, intellectually challenging, and overwhelmingly fun

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Dinners/events to meet full-time employees from entry-level to upper management
- Speaker series to get holistic perspective of firm's operations and history
- Investment in our general professional development
- Several outlets of mentorship

- Variability in work hours

- We have trainings for all the skills you will be using during your internship so don't worry too much about preparation
- You will be working more on data processing than modeling so you should be interested in coding over statistics.

Incredible balance - challenging work and fun company events all summer in Washington D.C.

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Challenging work, fun events throughout the 10 weeks, exposure to upper level management.

Depending on the time of year, work could be slower.

Economic consulting differs in rigor to management consulting, because all work is done in a legal environment. If you are detail-oriented, this is for you.

Excellent

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Sponsor and peer coach system -- valuable to have someone advocate for your career opportunities (sponsor) and to have someone to turn to for day-to -day questions (peer coach)
- Learning opportunities -- consultants did not just instruct me but allowed me the opportunity to think for myself about how to best carryout a non-trivial task
- Corporate culture -- all consultants/managers I worked with are smart, insightful and friendly
- SCP speaker series and outings (e.g. dinners, bowling, sailing etc.)

- Lack of female and minority leadership/partners within the firm -- would have preferred this to have been acknowledged/discussed more explicitly earlier in the course of the internship, rather than broadly discussing the Diversity and Inclusion council at start of SCP
- Summer consultant cohort tended to be purposefully and blatantly exclusive, though this attitude does not seem to be present among full-time staff

- How unique and valuable the sponsor and peer coach system is
- Economic consulting leaves most doors open in terms of returning to school -- PhD, masters, MBA, and JD
- It is appropriate and encouraged to contact upper-level staff to have coffee to further discuss their experiences

Advice to Management

- More diversity training

- Case questions are based of firm's previous casework
- Asked about writing sample

Acquire excellent data skills and work with wonderful people.

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredible amount of training given to you in the first 2 weeks, lots of mentorship/sponsorship from more veteran employees. Overtime pay was pretty awesome.

The people were very nice, but not sometimes their introverted nature showed - don't do much client work at all.

This is a data heavy internship within the litigation consulting world of expert reports and econometric modelling, not management/strategy or advisory consulting.

Interviewer led case structure. Brush up on basic micro aka supply and demand factors for a product and don't mess up simple math. Very easy if you take your time, don't be nervous.

An all-around great experience!

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

There were so many opportunities to meet with staff at all levels. The company really invested in our professional development, holding both speaker series as well as informal events to get to know one another. We had an abundance of opportunities to learn from people who followed very different career paths. We also got exposure to actual case work from day 1.

I have no complaints about the Bates White internship.

Brush up on your statistics/econometrics skills. If you don't, they offer extensive training anyway.

Advice to Management

In the past, people may have complained about diversity, but Bates White is working actively to become a more diverse company. I have no complaints.

Teach me something I don't know

Bates White is a fantastic place to work with very smart people. I developed my data analysis and qualtiiative research skills quickly

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lot of real work that actual consultants do is given to the interns. You are expected to step up to the plate and hold responsibility as part of the team.
BW tries to offer a balanced internship and offers opportunities for both technical skills and research.
Lots of fun summer events such as the sailing trip, bowling, dinners, etc.

I loved it all.

Read the website and understand what economic consulting is and how it differs from other types of consulting

Advice to Management

I would like to see more diversity in the firm (women, racial diversity).

Why BW? Why Economic Consulting? Examples of data projects, working with a team.
Case interview

Intelligent, meticulous work with remarkable people. Great overview into multiple industries and learning opportunities.

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Professional development, learning opportunities, social life

Pay schedule could be switched to weekly, instead of hourly.

Phenomenal entry into the professional world. Bates White values precision and professionalism in all of its work and expects the same from college summer consultants. You will mature through your summer and become a better individual simply by interacting with the employees here. Amazing social life. I woke up at 5:30AM each morning excited to see people at work every day.

Advice to Management

For the level of work and talent management demands, the compensation could be stronger relative to other comparable firms.

Standard case and behavioral questions.

Educational and fun

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship provides high-quality experience and training that would be transferable to a number of industries, even if you don't end up staying in economic consulting. Bates White makes a huge effort to make their internship a worthwhile learning experience. The first two weeks of the internship are mostly trainings to give the interns a better idea of what the firm does and the tools they use to do the work (programs like STATA and Excel). In addition to the work the company does specifically, Bates White also provides information sessions where interns can talk to economists, firm partners, MBAs, and lawyers about different career paths in and outside of the company. Aside from trainings and information sessions, the firm does its best to put interns on projects where they can meaningfully contribute to client work. Most of the work is challenging and interesting, and gives interns a good picture of the work full-time employees do. There are also many structures in place to ensure that the interns are having an educational and rewarding summer, and there are always people you can talk to if you have any concerns. There are also a ton of free lunches, free dinners, and events like sailing, bowling and baseball games. Additionally, interns are compensated for their time spent at most of these events and receive additional overtime compensation.

I really didn't have any major complaints about this internship. I would say that the experience the interns get isn't exactly the same between interns because most are staffed to different projects, but that is the nature of consulting work as a whole I think. And the company does ensure that there are people you can talk to if you want to work on a different project or different kind of work.

If you have an interest in economics, data and statistics, Bates White is a great place to work. The work life balance seems better than it is at most consulting firms, and there is a huge emphasis placed on career development. Because of this, it's also a good place to intern or work for a few years before going back to school.

Advice to Management

I got the sense during my time here that the firm is working on improving diversity, which I think is a really good thing. When I say diversity I'm talking about diversity in every aspect-- including hiring people with a range of personalities and skill sets. Obviously, there are certain traits that lend themselves better to this kind of work, but I also think it's important to have people with different strengths and weaknesses working on a project and working at the firm in general. My advice to management would be to keep trying to get more diversity in the firm with regards to emphasizing non-quantitative skills like communication and project management.

The interview questions are a mixture of case studies and behavioral questions.

Challenging, Exciting, and Fufilling Summer internship

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- The people. Everyone who works at Bates White, from top management to new hires, is interested in creating the best possible summer experience for the Summer Consultants. The culture of the firm is incredibly friendly and cohesive, surprising in a firm that's 200+ people. The Peer Coach and Sponsor program Bates White has enables Summer Consultants to feel supported in new tasks.
- The work. No two days are alike at Bates White as economic consulting is fast-paced and ever-changing. I worked on everything this summer, from Stata coding to writing reports. Bates White ensures the Summer Consultants get a variety of qualitative and quantitative work. Additionally, I found the work stimulating and challenging and felt like I was learning through the entire summer.
- The events. In addition to the work, the summer was straight up fun as well. There were multiple events throughout the summer, such as sailing in Annapolis, bowling with Principals, and multiple dinners and happy hours.

The work load was not spread evenly across Summer Consultants, some had more than others based on the practice they were placed into.

To really develop in this internship, you have to have some liking of coding and mathematics. It's not necessary to succeed, but it does help.

Internship? More like: short stint as a real employee.

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are great. They treat you like a real employee.

I would have like a greater exposure to the diversity of types of cases Bates White works on.

There is always left-over food after events. Take some, put it on a plate, put it in the fridge, and enjoy it later.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more exposure to the different practice areas. Or at least more input from the summer consultants when assigning them to practice areas.

Why should we hire you?