Intern at Bates White Summer Consultant Program? Submit a Review

Interesting work, great people, good environment

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think I learned more these ten weeks than I would have in any econometrics class in college. The learning curve is steep and the support for any passion I want to pursue is amazing. People have done some pretty incredible things before, during, and after Bates White and the network here is so supportive and constructive.

Inability to provide feedback until the end of the program.

I was surrounded by smart people, bouncing ideas off of each other every day. I didn't feel like I was a subordinate in any way and my work was highly valued and made me want to work harder. I taught the full-time employees a few things, and they also taught me. Eventually, my work was used in the case/presented to our clients/helped management present effectively. I didn't feel like my time was wasted in any way.

Advice to Management

I think providing a more supportive network for women--there is a Women's network, but I rarely met with them. It may also be the nature of the field in general--that more men are attracted to this area of work.

Teach me something.
Tell me about an experience when you had to take an initiative or be a leader?
They ask you about your resume and cover letter, so be prepared to talk about your experiences from previous work experiences.
What is a good way to teach something you know to someone who knows nothing about your area of expertise?

Can't find a better summer internship

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The interns are treated like any other consultant/employee and involved in and exposed to all aspects of the firm. The work is intellectually stimulating and rigorous. The firm wines and dines its interns with outings, lots of free food and drinks. Pretty much all of the full-time employees are somehow involved with the internship program through mentoring or just lending a hand to the interns.

Some tasks were drier than others. Not all of the interns have the same tasks, so some interns may get more interesting things to do than others.

If you are an analytical thinker and take pleasure in solving challenges, you will like this employer. If you just *hated* your statistics coursework and you like to complete tasks "good enough", this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Diversity needs improvement but that is more a function of the composition of the economics world, not of what BW is doing.

Why economic consulting

Absolutely fantastic summer internship

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everything about the internship was great. The firm really emphasized our experience, and their priority was making sure we were learning a lot and getting the experience we wanted. The mentorship program was great - there were so many people who were checking in to make sure you were enjoying the summer and to see if they could help. The firm wants you to succeed and wants to help you with your professional development.

I did not dislike anything about the internship.

I would highly recommend Bates White for a summer internship. You will learn so much, gain valuable experience, and get exposure to partners and management very often. This really is the best summer internship.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Discuss the writing sample

Intellectually stimulating

Thought-provoking

It is a niche industry

It is important to consider your personal goals.

There is not better internship than Bates White; nowhere else do you find such opportunities to learn and grow professionally

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The management at Bates White is ready to give you whatever kind of internship you want. I wanted to work a lot, and to take on as much responsibility as possible, so that's what they gave me. I learned a massive amount, and came away with an incredible understanding of economic consulting.

Additionally, Bates White is a vibrant, collegiate community. I become friends with many of my fellow interns, as well as a number of the full-time staff I worked with, or hung out with out of work.

There are literally no cons about this job.

This is the best place you could possibly work for a summer. They treat you so well; there are tons of awesome events, endless free food, and, most importantly, you learn so much from the work you do. The projects they put you on are real client engagements, and you often get to work directly with partners and other upper-level management.

Advice to Management

Bates White is the best.

Get ready to explain why you chose not only to submit your writing sample, but why you chose to write on that specific topic.

Enriching Combination of Quantitative and Qualitative Work in a Collegial Environment

The best aspects:
1.) You are treated like a first year employee and are given meaningful work
2.) It's a refreshing combination of quantitative and qualitative work
3.) The work concerns high stakes litigation, so everything actually matters
4.) Management is very transparent
5.) Management cares about developing lower level employees and takes into account what sorts of projects they want to work on
6.) The intern class of 20 is big enough to have a community but small enough to get to know everyone well
7.) In general the people are very, very supportive and friendly
8.) BW works in a variety of practice areas, which provides more opportunity for novel work
9.) You work closely with PhD's in economics and math - which provides invaluable learning opportunities
10.) It's an interesting blend of law, math, economics, and even a bit of computer science (for cases involving models that have to be fast).
11.) There were a variety of fun events that HR planned for the interns such as dinner and sailing trips.
12. The pay is competitive
13.) DC is a fun city for twenty-somethings
...the list goes on

My only complaint is very specific to me. I am very interested in computer science and wish there were more cases involving c++, python, etc. Otherwise, I sincerely had 0 qualms.

In my opinion the two defining characteristics of Bates White are that it is an economic consulting firm and the manner in which its relatively small size and culture make it different from other economic consulting firms.
Characteristic 1: Economic Consulting
Econ consulting is much like traditional consulting - there's a lot of novelty from one case to the next, soft skills like client management are important, etc. However, econ consulting requires less travel, involves a more quantitative skill set, and is much more academic. For example, upper level management consists of PhD's in economics and math as opposed to MBAs. It's about as technical as you can get while still being in business consulting. So if you are interested in business consulting but things like math, programming, etc. Economic consulting might be something you'd enjoy.
Also, as far as I can tell, Econ Consulting is a booming industry and the competition isn't too intense because of high barrier to entry (it requires a large group of people and experts with very specific experiences). So now is a good time to be in the industry (as far as I can tell).

Characteristic two: Bates White Culture
Bates White was founded by consultants who felt constricted at other firms and academics who felt constricted in a university environment. I think that is reflected in how much control they allow lower level employees over their own careers; if you want to switch to a completely different practice area they will work with you to do so. If you want to learn a specific skill, they will help you find an opportunity to do so. This can be very appealing.
The founders who had previously worked in consulting did not enjoy the "eat what you kill model" characteristic of other firms; they wanted to work in a collaborative environment and not one in which everyone was trying to protect their own business. Consequently, they have gone to great lengths to make BW a community that is tight nit, friendly, and not isolated by practice area. So if you want a tight nit community, BW might be a great choice. The downside is that they are relatively small with really only one office - so you lose a few things. For example, if you want to relocate to a different city, you'll have to find a different job because there's only a BW office in DC. Whereas at a bigger econ consulting firm like AG you could transfer to a different office.
Another downside of the small size is that not as many people have heard of it, although everyone in the industry knows of BW. So if you are looking for prestige, BW (and actually econ consulting in general) is probably not for you.

Advice to Management

At the moment they are crushing it, and I sincerely have almost no suggestions. Of course more vacation days, higher pay etc. would be desirable, however I think they are fair. For example, they pay entry levels about the same as top strategy firms, but expect you to work less for the same pay (on average 45 to 50 hours per week vs 55 to 60). Also, you can get paid additional money for working more hours, so if you do end up working as much as you would at a top strat firm, you will get paid much more (You can clear 100k as a first year employee if you work 55/wk).

My one qualm is that they give you very little time to make a decision on their offer following the internship - you are given two weeks, whereas many companies give you several month. I think this can generate some resentment, because it limits your ability to evaluate all your options.

When I interviewed I had two cases and three behavioral interviews.

Example case: One of the cases was a fictional case about a boxing association that was being sued by retired boxers who had health complications due to their boxing careers. The questions concerned estimating how many cases were going to materialize in the future, how much money to allocate to those cases, and working out the expected value of settling vs. going to trial in different cases. It required a lot of quick mental math and some knowledge of stats and probability.

Behavioral: Why econ consulting is a huge question that was emphasized and repeated several times; they want to know that econ consulting isn't a backup for investment banking or strategy consulting.

Meaningful quantitative and qualitative work with smart, nice people

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Culture of the firm is astounding. Everyone is exceptionally nice, welcoming, smart, engaging, willing to answer questions, etc.
-Challenging, interesting work at the intersection of many different fields (economics, law, business)
-Innumerable opportunities to ask questions of anyone (from new hires to partners)
-They really spoil you: a sailing trip, a baseball game, free lunches and dinners with senior members, countless happy hours, etc.
-Good pay

At points I felt that I didn't have enough work, but such is the nature of consulting (ebbs and flows). I requested more from my manager and they were extremely responsive. Very few complaints, all in all.

Don't hesitate! If you are at all interested in economics, or law, or even just consulting more generally, this is the perfect setting to get a taste of them all. You'll have countless opportunities to ask questions, not just about the firm itself but also about other career paths that you are considering. There is also a strong chance of being hired back (assuming good work), which can alleviate a lot of the stress of senior year. But even if you decide it's not the right place for you, odds are that it will help you clarify what is. I have only good things to say about this firm.

Prestigious Internship with Challenging, Fulfilling Work and Great Company Culture Provides Many Full-Time Offers

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but enjoyable, you were expected to actually contribute to the team, summer case study allows you to work with other summer consultants and get a taste of a full case, many activities for summer consultants both inside and outside of work, the people that work there are great.

Potential for long hours

This is a great company filled with people who are great to work with. The work is challenging, but from the start you are expected to work as a contributing member of the team.

Opportunities to engage in substantive and intellectually rigorous work while developing tangible skills

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was intellectually stimulating and required me to develop and apply a variety skills.

I had limited interaction working with other interns on billable projects.

If you are interested in a particular practice area, express that interest as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing whatever you are doing.

- What was your favorite class in college?
- How did you choose your college and major?

High quality educational experience with amazing people

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was treated like a valuable member of the team. My work was actually incorporated into client presentations, and I was given assignments that could have easily been given to entry-level consultants. Everyone was extremely nice, and were willing to donate their time in order to help me learn. I came away with a good knowledge of stata, excel, depositions, and the economic concepts behind the cases I worked on. Also, most interns in my class got job offers.

Training took a long time (about a week and a half.) Other than that, no complaints.

Bates White is both a fantastic place to work, and a fantastic two year experience as part of a larger business career. Bates White is comprised of smart, learning-oriented people who take your career development seriously. The data skills you pick up seem widely applicable.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be a little better (but, I realize that the compensation structure is bonus heavy.) I wish the offer weren't so exploding; I wanted more time to think.

Two case interviews focusing on economic/litigation consulting cases.

Behavioral interview questions.