Bates White Summer Consultant Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Consulting Internships  /  #1 Best Overall Internships

Legen ... wait for it ... dary
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of group activities for interns. Great work life balance, great career development opportunities.

There was nothing that I didn't like.

I do not believe there is a better internship out there.

Amazing culture and challenging case work
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

That we were doing real work

Because of the variable nature of cases, some days are much slower than others. I loved the fast paced, busy days before a report was due. But days when case work was light were challenging.

If you are comfortable with numbers and. ASIC statistics, thoughtful, and have strong analytic skills (qualitative or quantitative) with the comprehensive training you receive in your first weeks you will be well equipped to excel here. It's an especially interesting experience for those considering a future in law.

How might a sharp increase in the sale of prescription painkillers in the state of ____ be explained?

Advice to Management

N/a

Amazing internship with all real work and very good possibility of getting hired.
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to do real work with real datasets. I was able to do econometrics as well. Interns had many outings that were all a lot of fun. The full time employees treated us like we were their equals.

Nothing was bad.

Learn as much as you possibly can about coding and economics while you are there.

Tell me about something you think I don't know anything about. What were your favorite classes? What were your hardest classes?

Qualitative and exciting opportunity to play a vital and impactful role on a team
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but allowed me to learn a lot. I loved the learning process. The people were also so supportive and welcoming. There was a lot of mentorship and support from senior staff. I felt like a part of my case team from day 1.

Nothing. Maybe, that the firm works long hours at crucial parts in its cases but summer consultants are not subject to such long hours.

The Bates White internship was a wonderful opportunity for me to challenge myself, learn a lot about the consulting world, and make a lot of strong connections. I felt like I grew a lot as a person and a businessperson of the summer. It was a great opportunity.

Case interview questions; questions about past leadership and teamwork experience; questions about what makes me interested in the job.

Advice to Management

I don't have a lot of advice. The compensation, promotion policies, and training were all wonderful. I think one piece of advice I would be have would be to try to mitigate the amount of really long days that consultants may have; however, I understand that case work comes with periods during which consultants work lots of hours. I think the firm does a good job of managing its consultants and the amount they work.

In this past summer I worked on projects mainly involving research and data analysis, while participating in a number of events.
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone is very welcoming and is willing to answer questions and help. It's enjoyable to work in a team. There are also a lot of fun events for interns to get to know people.

Workload varies a lot from day to day. Sometimes there's too much to work on while sometimes there's not enough to work on.

I think working at Bates White is great opportunity to get exposure to business, economics and law at the same time.

Want to Learn the Most You Ever Have? Bates White: Data Analysis in a Litigatory Context, with a Fun, Intellectual, Community-Oriented Team
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Multiple extracurricular events with each level of the firm's employees; as a result, we got to know a lot of the firm, whether we worked with them or not

- Real responsibility as a consultant. The work was challenging but extremely rewarding. We worked as part of a consultant team, rather than as observers.

-Variable hours were at times challenging, but that is the nature of the job and while it was hard at times, it was also part of the fun aspect of the job. No two days are the same.

You must be comfortable using numbers to answer complicated questions.

The most rewarding summer yet!
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work, the culture, and the people all make Bates White an excellent place to work!

I had no major or noteworthy complaints about my time at Bates White.

If you are interested in a substantive internship experience that exposes you to real world problems, then Bates White is an excellent opportunity that you should consider.

Excellent opportunity for meaningful work in a truly collegiate environment
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bates White's internship program was geared to help me grow as a professional. Over the summer, I developed both tangible and intangible skills that lend themselves to a diverse array of careers. The assignments I received were on par with those of full-time employees, and were both engaging and challenging, and unlike some other internships, there was plenty of work for interns. Over the course of the summer, there were exceptionally few times (perhaps a few hours in total) when I did not have meaningful work. In particular, the case study, in which the interns were split into opposing teams and given a simplified case to work on, was especially useful in seeing an entire case unfold, given that most cases the firm deals with last longer than the internship program.

The people at Bates White also were committed to helping me grow in ways that were not directly related to my job. Practically everyone in the office, regardless of position and seniority, was willing to take significant time to discuss topics from various graduate degrees to other cases for which the firm was engaged – something I took advantage of on multiple occasions.

The community at Bates White is also without rival. People are quite amiable - and not just to the interns - and develop friendly relations that reach beyond the walls of the office. The collegiate atmosphere makes the day-to-day work much more enjoyable, and makes working as a team much more seamless. Additionally, there are numerous "extracurricular" activities employees participate in, from basketball to baking club, that help make for a more relaxed office environment fun and bring everyone closer together.

Bates White invests heavily in the many events that go along with the summer internship program. Events from a Chesapeake Bay sailing trip to bowling to the many dinners -- usually geared to meeting people in more senior levels of the firms -- allowed me to learn more about Bates White, bond with my fellow interns, and establish connections with people whom I did not work with day-to-day at the firm.

As part of this collegiate environment, Bates White was committed to sustaining a high quality of life for the interns. Bates White firmly did not want me, or any of the other interns, to work late into the night, and the hours were quite flexible.

Finally, it’s noteworthy that Bates White devotes so many resources to its interns because it enters the summer with the attitude that it truly wants to bring them back full-time.

There were no substantial aspects of the internship I did not like.

If you come in with an eagerness to learn, tackle new challenges, and work in a collegiate and collaborative environment, you'll succeed.

An incomparable opportunity to develop quantitative skills while working on challenging real-life problems with inspiring coworkers
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved being able to work on challenging, complicated, real-world issues while developing valuable quantitative skills which are transferable to nearly any career path. I was surrounded by a diverse and well-rounded group of interns as well as amazingly helpful, bright, and welcoming coworkers. We had impressive access to upper management and we able to candidly and openly discuss both our own career paths and the future of the firm with top firm executives. Overall, my experience is more than I could have ever hoped for!

The problems we work on are challenging and rarely have easy solutions so you need to be ready to work hard and think creatively. If you're looking for a job with easy and straightforward answers, this is not the internship for you.

Be ready to work hard and soak up all the information you can! I learned an immense amount in only ten weeks! You also should not be afraid ask questions and talk to coworkers. Anyone from a consultant I to the top firm executives will happy to chat with you over a cup of coffee.

1. What class did you like the least

2. Teach me something.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing! You have an impressive number of processes already in place, such as the consultant forum, to address issues like these as they come up.

Stimulating, quantitative learning
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt like I was a major part of the team of consultants I worked with during my whole internship. I was given challenging, stimulating work, and my opinion was valued throughout the whole process. Fellow employees are awesome! They're willing to help and answer any questions. Other perks were there, too, including company dinners and events. It really seemed as if they were personally concerned with our future career paths.

Sometimes the work was tedious as you could be working on the same project for several weeks.

You will experience a little bit of everything: economics, statistics, law, etc.