Bates White Summer Consultant Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #3 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Bates White Summer Consultant Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Great Learning Opportunity as a Consultant at Bates White
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intelligence of the full time employees, the amount of responsibility they allow qualified interns, the pay.

I did not like the fact that I had to go back to school before starting full time!

Be ready to work hard, learn a lot and have a good time!

The Summer Consultant experience at Bates White allowed me to expand intellectually at a fast pace due to the mentoring by other employees.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

At Bates White I found a collegial atmosphere full of friendly, intelligent people. Everyone I worked with was more than willing to answer any questions I had and help me develop the skills I needed to become a successful consultant. The firm also planned a series of events for the Summer Consultant program, allowing us not just to enjoy what DC has to offer, but to interact with other employees of the firm that we normally would not have met during our summer. Due to the responsibility I was given as a Summer Consultant, I found the work intellectually stimulating and felt able to make meaningful contributions to the projects I worked on.

Although infrequent, the projects I worked on required me to complete mundane tasks at times.

The work that Bates White does allows employees to come up with challenging solutions to interesting problems. Although most projects the firm works on are economic in context, students of all majors looking for a intellectually stimulating experience should consider Bates White.

An incredible experience, with a lot of responsibility and great people.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Level of responsibility interns are given.

I didn't live in the city, and had to commute.

The key to success is to carefully quality control everything.

Real life

- Realistic
- Friendly people
- Real responsibility

- Did very similar work most of the time

It is a great place to work if you are interested in Economic consulting or even if you want to go to law school in the long run.

Invaluable opportunities to be part of the team
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office culture is very fun and sociable while still promoting a high level of professionalism and integrity. There were numerous opportunities to network with all levels of management in both structured and unstructured settings. The location in downtown DC is very desirable, and the pay is competitive. Hours are mostly flexible, with 10AM-4PM considered the necessary "core" hours; otherwise, employees and interns generally base their hours around their personal preferences and those of their current project team, if applicable.

The case-based nature of the work means that some interns have less exciting assignments than others; some members of the 2012 intern class worked on several different cases throughout the summer while others worked on just one or two.

Anyone interested in the rigorous world of economic consulting and desiring a smaller, privately held firm should consider Bates White. Management and rank-and-file employees are very accessible and willing to speak frankly about the advantages and disadvantages of working for the firm, so potential interns should take advantage of any opportunity to connect with them before, during, and after the interview process.

Great pay, fun people, real work tasks given to interns.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good pay, fun activities for interns, real work tasks given to interns, great training and support, fun environment, good job prospects.

No exposure to clients, few opportunities to work in teams.

If you are interested in Economic Consulting, then definitely come to Bates White! If you're afraid of thinking quantitatively, or don't want to be in economic consulting after graduation, then focus your energy on whatever it is that you want to do post graduation (i-banking, management consulting etc...)

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for leadership, client interaction, and teamwork.

Preview of Life as a Consultant at Bates White
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Felt like I was doing work that full time consultants do. They spent time mentoring and explaining concepts to us.

Sometimes felt like there were periods of nothing to do; I felt like I was then doing meaningless stuff/just sitting there.

BW is great- it's a little more quantitative than other firms, but nothing you should be scared of because they spend time training you.

Advice to Management

In order to compete with top EC firms, Bates White should try recruiting at even more top-flight schools.

Jack of all Trades: Using Law, Economics, and Statistics to deliver solutions to clients

The people

Niche consulting

The career path and the people here are incredible.

I've had six summer internships and working at Bates White exceeded even my highest expectations.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Extremely intelligent and friendly people. In a consulting industry known for long work hours, Bates White does a superb job at rewarding their employees. Not only is the internship pay is competitive, but the firm's flat management structure gives summer consultants plenty of opportunity to work with members of client services. What impressed me most about Bates White is the firm's organization: summer consultants were trained during the first two weeks in a classroom setting and informally throughout the remainder of the summer.

There is nothing to complain about my experience.

Interest in programming and economic theory is a must.

Advice to Management

The firm's compensation structure would be more appealing if over-target pay kicked in at 40 hours instead of 45 hours.

I learned just as much as I do in college and happened to get paid to do it.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Academic atmosphere, flexible hours, team solidarity, and variety of tasks.

It can be intimidating at times, but I imagine that is true for a good amount of internships

If you are interested in law/economics/statistics and enjoy working with fun friendly smart people you will most likely have a great time. They have tons of fun activities for the interns over the summer.

Advice to Management

I think Brian scares the interns sometimes. Honestly one of the most intimidating people I met, but he is actually a pretty cool guy.