Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #4 Best Overall Internships

4.8 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 94 Intern Reviews)

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Real work, real learning, real impact
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Unparalled consulting internship experience jam-packed with real responsibilities and unbelievabably fun intern events
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

firm's investment in making sure the intern class is well-bonded, professional development, real responsibilities, people

traveling mon-wed was amazing experience to bond with the team, but I lost some chances to bond as much with the other interns who were not traveling, but overall nothing I really disliked about the internship!

Do not hesitate to apply to Bain if you are remotely interested in consulting!!

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

If you can get this job, take it in a heartbeat
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was an integrated member of the team, traveling with them whenever they did. I was able to contribute significantly to the work we were doing. The intern class was a spectacular group of people that made the summer super fun as well. I could go on and on about the pros, but I'll leave it at that

It was too short? My only complaint is that I didn't feel like I could truly dive in to the material in just 10 weeks.

If you get this job, there is no reason you shouldn't take it.

Where would you locate a local cafe to maximize revenue and why?

Advice to Management

None

Impactful, diverse, and engaging casework; aspiring and inspiring colleagues
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The coworkers, the planned events, and the realistic (but very real) expectations for the interns' work contributions.

Honestly, nothing comes to mind.

Bain's reputation for transparency and friendliness across the office is well-deserved. I genuinely felt like each encounter was a burgeoning friendship - from my manager to HR to office services. This atmosphere complements the quality of the firm's work.

Market size of a music festival: how much revenue do you think a large-scale, three day, urban music festival will generate?

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Training for expected full-time stint balances challenging work with fun, welcoming culture
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, feeling of adding value, challenging/interesting work, intern events, cool travel opportunities

Unpredictable hours

Think about whether you want an ultra fun summer or to get a better idea of what a full time consulting job is - the internship offers both, but if you're not sure the lifestyle is for you it would be good to intimate that at the beginning to make sure you get more responsibility / work longer hours / travel, etc.

Size the market for ___ in ____

(Just read Case in Point for examples - structure might differ a little bit for Bain specifically but it will put you on the right path)

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Join a fantastic team of talented individuals and create value for clients on interesting cases
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Too many to list. But among them...

1. Working with fantastic people

2. Doing cool work on interesting cases

3. Compensation is generous

4. Fantastic opportunities for personal development (many trainings and opportunities to learn valuable skills on the job)

5. Incredible access to talented individuals both inside and outside of Bain (such as grad school admissions officers)

1. Hours can be long but the company makes every effort to make them fun and worthwhile

2. Travel can be hit or miss, depending on the client site

The interview process was challenging but certainly worth it at the end. The ACI program will give a very accurate idea of what full-time work at Bain is like

Difficult to state succintly. Basically, the interview is two parts. One part is the fit (tell me about yourself, name a time when...), and the other is the actual case. I had four different cases, but the basic premise in each one is to solve a problem using the information given, while being able to walk the interviewer through your thought process. There's definitely a combination of math and "softer" elements to each case.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The training is very valuable, and certainly helpful when recruiting a class from such different backgrounds (everyone from finance majors to English majors)

Intellectually challenging + Loads of fun
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Plenty of social events to bond with my intern group.

Not treated as an intern on the case, given full responsibility for work stream.

Amazing amount of support from the firm and the comfort of knowing that they really want you to succeed and get an offer.

In my particular case I worked a lot over the phone with a remote team and client which was a little challenging.

Even if you are not considering consulting full time, as an internship experience, this is one of best organized and thought out internship programs. You will definitely feel like you have been fully utilized and intellectually challenged. The benefits and fun events during the internship blow any other out of the water!

Mostly case interviews but during the 'fit' portion, typical questions include:

Why do you want to work here?

Why consulting?

What makes you good for this position?

Very general questions, it's expected to be more of a conversation.

Advice to Management

A little more PowerPoint training upfront.

Bain & Company: People, Passion, Results
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that I was doing real work that made it into final client decks was unbelievably rewarding. Also, Bain's commitment to training and professional development is unrivaled, which sets you up incredibly well for whatever it is you want to go on to do after. Lastly, the people at Bain are incredible which promotes a really fun and unique culture.

There really isn't anything I disliked about the internship.

Bain's culture really is as great as they say it is!

You are hired by an Indonesian coal retailer. How big do you think the coal industry is in Indonesia and how would you increase your client's sales?

Advice to Management

Not that much, really.