Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #4 Best Overall Internships

4.8 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 94 Intern Reviews)

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Unparalled consulting internship experience jam-packed with real responsibilities and unbelievabably fun intern events
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

firm's investment in making sure the intern class is well-bonded, professional development, real responsibilities, people

traveling mon-wed was amazing experience to bond with the team, but I lost some chances to bond as much with the other interns who were not traveling, but overall nothing I really disliked about the internship!

Do not hesitate to apply to Bain if you are remotely interested in consulting!!

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Impactful, diverse, and engaging casework; aspiring and inspiring colleagues
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The coworkers, the planned events, and the realistic (but very real) expectations for the interns' work contributions.

Honestly, nothing comes to mind.

Bain's reputation for transparency and friendliness across the office is well-deserved. I genuinely felt like each encounter was a burgeoning friendship - from my manager to HR to office services. This atmosphere complements the quality of the firm's work.

Market size of a music festival: how much revenue do you think a large-scale, three day, urban music festival will generate?

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

The summer were I manage to learn a ton but have so much fun
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, support system, the culture

Nothing at all

Understand the staffing process and what makes it different than other firms.

Questions about leadership skills

Advice to Management

TRy to make the summer experience as similar as possible to alll interns

A Summer of Working Hard, Learning an Immense Amount, and Meeting Incredible People
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of interning at Bain was the mentorship that was available. As interns, we were immediately welcomed into the office community and given responsbility. The full time employees wanted to get to know us and wanted to see us succeed!

I had a wonderful time this summer!

Ask questions! Full time Bainies are more than happy to answer your questions, so keep asking them. It shows you are alert, know what's going on, and truly want to learn.

All interviews were case based, with standard case questions.

Real work, real learning, real impact
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Training for expected full-time stint balances challenging work with fun, welcoming culture
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, feeling of adding value, challenging/interesting work, intern events, cool travel opportunities

Unpredictable hours

Think about whether you want an ultra fun summer or to get a better idea of what a full time consulting job is - the internship offers both, but if you're not sure the lifestyle is for you it would be good to intimate that at the beginning to make sure you get more responsibility / work longer hours / travel, etc.

Size the market for ___ in ____

(Just read Case in Point for examples - structure might differ a little bit for Bain specifically but it will put you on the right path)

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Incredible experience making an impact for a highly regarded client while working with a talented team.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the company culture and the work.

Some of the day to day research was quite tedious. My workstream had no client interaction.

Approach your summer workstream in a structured manner and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck.

Why Bain? Why consulting?

I received very few behavioral questions - mostly why Bain / consulting and then case discussion.

Bain's summer involves working on supportive teams, with fun and incredibly intelligent individuals, and focusing on client results
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The exposure to the firm's culture (via it's amazingly impressive people) - Bain goes out of its way to make sure you meet people from all levels, with various backgrounds and expertise

nothing comes to mind

Take advantage of the many opportunities to experience Bain's culture to validate if it is the correct fit for you

n/a

Advice to Management

n/a