Intern at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs? Submit a Review

A lot of grunt work

October 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Learned a lot on Excel/powerpoint
Assisted to Client's meetings
Interviewed company
Nice people

Grunt work: such as cleaning a database on Excel or making sure the font size is right on clients presentations
long and unpredictable hours
Extensive travel required

Comments

I would suggest having a look at wetfeet insider guide to prepare for the interviews. Also, read a lot of business cases

The ultimate consulting experience wrapped into a 10 week internship

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The impact I was able to have as an intern

I personally didn't get to travel.

There is no babying at Bain, you're expected to add value right at the start and given that opportunity youll accurately get to evaluate how right consulting is for you.

Best Summer of My Life (not exaggerating)

San Francisco, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands down, the people and the work

Hours can be unpredictable, but it seemed most people were able to figure out a balance and ways to control for the schedule. It helps that the firm is incredibly supportive of making sure you have the time you need to do things outside of work.

Really take the time to get to know people at Bain before applying, to get a true sense of the firm. There's a huge variety of people here and it's worth it to connect with enough of them to get a sense of the culture here; plus, something I noticed while I was recruiting was how willing Bainies were to chat, so don't be afraid to reach out!

Meaningful and exciting work, with Smart, Driven, Fun and Caring Teams

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The number of social activities the Recruiting team planned to maximize my exposure to everyone in the office and to my fellow interns, and which offer me a great opportunity to get to know Atlanta better.

In a 10 week period it was difficult to take on a meaningful work stream and see it through beginning to end and have that work be high impact for the client.

This is a great opportunity and will result in a high level of learning and an opportunity to team with great people.

Practice being a real consultant while being wined and dined

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training in Cape Cod, access to partners, weekly social events, SA class, interesting project work

There is nothing I didn't like

Think about what type of project you would like to experience over the summer and let your staffing manager know!

Interesting work with high caliber and caring colleagues

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to drive your own workstream in a real client engagement. High degree of feedback and mentoring.

The variability between experiences of fellow interns - this is more indicative of consulting in general though.

The interview process is very competitive, work hard to prepare for the cases. During the summer take full advantage of all the resources you will be given and ask people about their experiences, they are very open and share great advice.

Tell me about (your previous) industry, what are the opportunities and threats facing the industry as a whole right now?

Incredible internship - excellent company, supportive environment, challenging work

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had the opportunity to work in a new industry and own a discrete body of work. I was able to see the entire work stream from end to end, including structuring the work, conducting the analysis, and driving recommendations. I was extremely satisfying to see that the work I did would directly help the client achieve their goals. I also thought the team environment was great. While some of my work was individual, I had the support of an entire team who provided helpful feedback and guidance. Finally, the firm emphasized professional development so I received feedback throughout the summer.

Given the internship only spans the course of a summer, it is difficult to experience all aspects of the job since it is project / case dependent. I thought Bain did an excellent job of addressing this by having regular Summer Associate gatherings where we could share our work, having mentors, and regular check-ins with managers. I think this is a challenge with all consulting summer internships.

I would consider both the work and cultural fit. Bain is focused on driving results, so if you enjoy solving challenging problems, the work will likely be a fit. Bain also has a very strong culture. With its local staffing model, it is important to ensure you enjoy the working style of your office. Finally, I would consider the career progression. Bain has a very clear promotion track to partner while also supporting other career paths based on the individual, which I think is unique.

Advice to Management

N/A

The first round interview was cases. The second round interview was cases (written and verbal) and behavioral.

Life Changing!

My colleagues!

Uncertainty in hours

Bain is different from other consulting firms in that there are structural

Advice to Management

Focus on the differentiation.

An amazing place to work with amazing people.

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The development opportunities and the coaching I received.

There aren't any major things I would like to change.

Look at the people you have met throughout the interview process and see what kind of people they are. These are the representative of the firm, and they will be the people you work with every day. Ask if these are the people you want to work with.

Intern given meaningful workstream, makes impact on team

Houston, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The five person team I was working with were incredibly welcoming and supportive. They immediately made me feel like an original member of the group. There was always a team dinner or someone to grab a meal with, so I never ate alone when traveling. The group of interns was also so much fun. There were only two weekends when there wasn't an organized social event to get together with the other interns and the associate consultants, so I had a good understanding of the firm/office culture by the end of the summer.

Because of how accelerated the internship is compared to actual full-time staffing, the mid-summer review can seem a bit...forced. Considering that the first week is spent in training and the second week is used getting up to speed on the case, it's really based on just three weeks of work. But it gives a decent picture of whether you're heading in the right direction or not.

I was astonished at how seriously the firm viewed personal development goals. In my first week, I had separate conversations with both my manager and consultant to outline my goals for the summer. Within days they were taking me out of my comfort zone, proactively placing me in situations to advance and develop these goals.

Also, the partners REALLY CARE about the associate consultants. When I was traveling, one of the first year associate consultants fell ill to the point that it was questionable whether he would be able to fly back to the home office. The partner on the case cleared his Friday and weekend schedule to make sure that, while the rest of the team could fly back, he would stay with the associate. No matter what was being discussed in the team room, if there was an update on him, the partner wanted to know.