VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Consulting Internships  /  #1 Best Internships for MBA Candidates  /  #2 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Interesting work, engaging mentorship, and genuine people make Bain an amazing place to work.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship gave me a really good sense of what it would be like to work full-time at Bain. Every intern was placed on a case team and given assignments that added value to the work that the rest of the team was doing.

Additionally, I appreciated the amount of both downward and upward feedback. Not only did I get to receive advice from my supervisor and manager on a regular basis, but I also had the opportunity to share thoughts on my supervisor's managing style. I really felt like my opinion matters at Bain.

Lastly, the internship was very well-structured. There were many events for the interns to attend every week, both informative discussions on Bain's different practice areas and also various social activities that allowed us to get to know our fellow interns and colleagues.

Although I really enjoyed having the opportunity to travel on my case (which I requested), I felt like I missed a few intern events (such as informative panel discussions) while I was out of town during a couple of the weeks. That being said, it was very easy to reach out to people in the office to catch up on any information I missed.
I can't think of many cons about this internship because the program directors were constantly asking for feedback about the program so that they could organize relevant and interesting events for the interns both in and out of office. Towards the middle of the internship, I still had some unaddressed questions about Bain's full-time position; however, I relayed these concerns to the internship program director and by a couple weeks later I had received all the answers to my questions.

I chose to work at Bain & Co because I feel like Bain really cares about the development (both personal and professional) of its employees. On this note, there are limitless opportunities for mentorship both formally and informally.
There's an amazing work-life balance at Bain that I rarely hear about at other companies. It's a "Work hard, play hard" culture that attracts well-rounded people.
You'll probably become good friends with the people you work with, which I think is really important.

Advice to Management

Continue programs such as Women at Bain and diversity initiatives. As a female intern, I really appreciated opportunities to hear about the experiences of women Bainies who have been at the firm for a long time.

"Bain makes you better: humanities major gains solid confidence in employability, profoundly enjoys the experience"
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

MENTORSHIP, unbelievable supervisors, colleagues, managers, HR support, internship coordinators, etc. And endless supply of resources who care about my happiness and development. Regular constructive feedback, opportunity for upward feedback.
NETWORK, a "real" network, with people I truly believe want to help further my professional goals and will call me back if I need it. WORK HARD PLAY HARD: self-explanatory. The most valuable work, the most genuine fun.
EXPENSING: I love expensing things.
NO BUSY WORK: Almost no stupid busy work, felt I made a very tangible impact on the team.

If you're too enthusiastic you might get a little ignored towards the end-- if they can tell you'll accept your offer, they won't spend as much time shmoozing you. But they like you better overall if you're already on board!

BAIN MAKES YOU BETTER! You get better friends, better mentors, better skills. You get to work with wonderful people and learn to be a pleasure to work with. You learn how to communicate better, leverage your time better, get results faster.

Advice to Management

A stipend for housing would be nice...

The Bain ACI program is the best all-around internship for college juniors interested in any facet of business.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Supervision, social life, work-life balance (so much better than friends in banking), ability to contribute meaningfully as an intern, office culture

Repetition in assignments occasionally

Try and talk to as many people as possible; your experience will be made by those you're working with and those that you're spending time with in the office when not working. Get to know the other interns and the first/second-year employees!

An amazing experience working with smart people in an engaging and fast paced work environment.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Company culture, type of work, interactions with senior leadership and excellent training.

None - it was an amazing experience!

Although everyone is really smart, they are extremely humble and expect you to be a great team player.

Bain internship is the perfect mix of work, life, and the best corporate culture in the world!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Corporate culture, peers in the intern class, ownership of a real client problem, phenomenal support system within the company with lots of touchpoints to ensure my success and development.

Nothing - I genuinely had no negatives.

The culture at Bain is built to ensure that you will succeed and will have fun while doing so. It's challenging, but supportive, and the people are second to none.

I found this review helpful (2 others have found this review helpful)

An opportunity to learn and grow within an amazing culture

The people and relationships

Sometimes not having ownership of my work

Try to take in and learn as much as you can; don't be afraid to ask questions.

Stellar introduction to Bain and the work of management consulting.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain offered incredible professional development opportunities, impressive client contact, strong mentorship, and a tremendous amount of fun.

Nothing stands out.

If you are considering management consulting, Bain's internship offers a fantastic culture and a stellar professional experience.

You are expected to provide excellent work but you as a result you get meaningful and important assignments

People/Culture

Sometimes could have received more work

Definitely take advantage of your manager/supervisor. They want to help you!

Advice to Management

Overall the program was excellent! I would have liked to see maybe a couple of more varied events (maybe going to a water park/ other bonding stuff that we usually don't get to do as students who go to colleege), but overall amazing!

My expectations going into the summer were exceptionally high; Bain exceeded them along every conceivable dimension.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The focus on teamwork and professional development, the ability of interns to make meaningful contributions to clients, the tremendous exposure to the multiple facets and to the upper echelon of the firm given to interns, and the atmosphere that demonstrated a clear interest in every employee, including interns, being as successful as possible

I wish the internship had started and ended one week earlier

Anyone interest in being part of a dynamic team that constantly considers its own efficacy to ensure a combination of personal satisfaction and client performance should want to work at Bain.

SA Works Hard and Is Excited to Return Full-Time
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were a) the fact that I was able to do work so essential to the successful completion of the project, resulting in a steep and exciting learning curve, and a good understanding of what the full-time job would be, and b) the relationships I built with my managers, who provided me with excellent professional development feedback and personal support.

I would have benefitted from more formal ongoing training throughout the summer (although I still learned a lot from the existing formal training at the beginning of the summer, and the informal training along the way).

I can't overemphasize the importance of cultural fit when choosing a firm!