Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #4 Best Overall Internships

The summer were I manage to learn a ton but have so much fun
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, support system, the culture

Nothing at all

Understand the staffing process and what makes it different than other firms.

Questions about leadership skills

Advice to Management

TRy to make the summer experience as similar as possible to alll interns

Exciting, Intense work with awesome people and an awesome company
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - Working with really smart, ambitious people helps push you to develop yourself

The autonomy - More than once I was given whole, discreet projects for the client to lead and solve on my own

The development - Whether it is formal training (in Cape Cod...awesome right?) or informal training from more senior members of the team there is a ton of opportunity to develop

Apparently you have to put something in this blank, but I can't think of anything to put

Be prepared for an intense internship - I was expecting much more hand holding and less client interaction. Most interns were given a discreet work stream that they were in charge of solving in the time they were there. Help was available but the responsibility to perform was on the intern

Typical case interview questions: Our client is a company that is losing money how would you turn it around... Our client is contemplating starting a business in this city....

If you can get this job, take it in a heartbeat
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was an integrated member of the team, traveling with them whenever they did. I was able to contribute significantly to the work we were doing. The intern class was a spectacular group of people that made the summer super fun as well. I could go on and on about the pros, but I'll leave it at that

It was too short? My only complaint is that I didn't feel like I could truly dive in to the material in just 10 weeks.

If you get this job, there is no reason you shouldn't take it.

Where would you locate a local cafe to maximize revenue and why?

Advice to Management

None

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

Intellectually challenging + Loads of fun
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Plenty of social events to bond with my intern group.

Not treated as an intern on the case, given full responsibility for work stream.

Amazing amount of support from the firm and the comfort of knowing that they really want you to succeed and get an offer.

In my particular case I worked a lot over the phone with a remote team and client which was a little challenging.

Even if you are not considering consulting full time, as an internship experience, this is one of best organized and thought out internship programs. You will definitely feel like you have been fully utilized and intellectually challenged. The benefits and fun events during the internship blow any other out of the water!

Mostly case interviews but during the 'fit' portion, typical questions include:

Why do you want to work here?

Why consulting?

What makes you good for this position?

Very general questions, it's expected to be more of a conversation.

Advice to Management

A little more PowerPoint training upfront.

Real work, real learning, real impact
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.

Fun experience that really let you learn and understand firm culture and how they help clients

Great team environment

Heavy travel during the week

Make sure you understand the cultural differences between firms and that you choose the consulting firm that matches your preference

Rigorous case work with real input by interns. Exceptional intern programming with lots of fun in NYC. Truly lifelong friendships formed.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was never doing busy work and I knew exactly where my input would plug in as the team put together its analysis for the client. Beyond doing results-driven case work, the best aspect is really knowing that everyone at the firm--even the principals and partners on your case--really wants to get to know you personally, not just professionally. This job is all about the people, and Bain has the best people.

Ten weeks was too short! I want to start full time ASAP!

At the end of the day, your consulting experience will boil down to your experience on your case team. Bain's teams aren't just exceptionally smart and very good at delivering results to their clients--they are people you'll want to (and will actually) hang out with outside of work. Whether that's picnicking in Central Park, or sailing on the Hudson, or tasting neat foods at new restaurants, you won't just have "work fun," it'll be real fun.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Summer internship with Bain & Co. provides unparalleled opportunity for learning
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Diverse set of experiences amongst intern class, social aspect of internship is incredible (tons of events for interns throughout the summer), supportive supervisors/senior employees, high degree of transparency with feedback and offer status

There were honestly no true negative aspects of the internship for me.

If you are looking for a place to learn as much as possible right out of college while keeping the doors open for any career path this is the place. I met people doing incredible things while at Bain or right afterwards, and they all attributed their success to the training they received at Bain.