Bain & Company Summer Associate (SA) and Associate Consultant Internship (ACI)

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Consulting Internships  /  #1 Best Internships for MBA Candidates  /  #2 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Incredible learning opportunity for creative problem solvers interested in business

The culture was one of the best aspects - getting to know people who are so smart and interesting but also fun made my summer very rewarding. People at Bain are truly incredible. I felt that my work was appreciated and respected. My input was asked for by senior members of the team, and I received constant coaching and positive reinforcement.

It's difficult to say. The unpredictability of our work, not knowing where a case will go next, makes it exciting and at times a bit frustrating. But overall this is a very minor qualm.

Bain is a place that values it's people. You will learn a lot. You will work hard. And you will also have a lot of fun. Most of the Bainies I've met are close friends outside of the office. The culture is very strong and open and welcoming. It really defines Bain.

Advice to Management

In all of the above areas, Bain excels. I would suggest that they delay some of our training to occur a week into the job. We front-loaded things that made little sense to us when taught before we began real work. But after a week, we needed help.

Date: 2013

'Standard Case Experience' - Hard Work - Interesting - Fun.

Given a substantial and important workstream of the case and a reasonable level of autonomy. The team was great to work with, it was a supportive and fun environment. Also doing very significant work for the client. The internship program was also fantastic.

I missed the up front team discussion of working styles and norms.

Great place to work. The work aspect of the internship is 100% 'real' work and interns are slotted in as a true consultant. There is also some great intern programming which allows the class to get to know one another.

A Work-Hard, Play-Hard Summer at Bain&Company

The balance of real responsibility and fun. I learned so muc and usually had a great time doing it.

I really liked everything about it.

Bain is not only a well-respected company, but is filled with people who manage to balance an easy going, fun loving attitude with incredible work ethic and intelligence.

Date: 2013

best high-profile generalist intern experience, where you are treated as an equal, not just a coffee boy

Work/life balance; perks like overnight office retreat in the Poconos and fancy dinners; great exposure to senior leadership and mentoring opportunities; two days off for 4th of July; great pay; brilliant and charasmatic colleagues

Not much to complain about besides there sometimes long hours and travel requirements

Be prepared to do whatever is asked for you, and have a good attitude about it

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - never underestimate the power of employee advocacy

How to be a consultant

The level of responsibility allowed me to truely understand what life as a full-time consultant will be like.

Being an intern is not fun, becasue it feels like, and is, an 11 week interview.

Make sure you find the place where you are a best fit; find your natural owner.

Date: 2013

#1 firm, #1, #1 experience.

Mazing access to interesting clients and people

Nothing really to dislike.

If you can get the job, take it. There isn't anywhere better.

Advice to Management

They are on the ball, don't need my help

Date: 2013

Introduction to consulting and Bain culture.

Opportunity to own a work-stream within a client engagement Opportunity to meet and interact with a number of senior leaders within the office/company Great training program to orient you to the role and the tools/resources available Lots of fun social events to get to know your intern class and other members of the office

Can be difficult to finish a work-stream within the 10 week time-frame necessitating a hand-off at the end and thus missing a sense of completion/accomplishment

Be flexible. Every intern inmy class has had a slightly different experience in terms of travel, stage of the client engagement that they entered, scope of workstream, etc. However, as far as I can tell everyone has had a really good experience. As long as you are willing to jump in and do whatever you can to help, you will add value and enjoy your summer.

Fantastic culture, great clients

The team I worked with and the travel

Some of the work was a little basic

If you like the people you meet during the recruitment process, you'll have a fantastic time on your internship.

Date: 2013

Thrown right into the work with a great team, given tons of mentoring, and had a top-end consulting experience

The people, the ability to engage with many people at the client, opportunity to travel, great food and hotels, reasonable hours, great pay.

Because I was only on a case for 7 weeks, the amount and importance of the work I was given is below what I think I could have handeled.

A Bain internship or career out of business school is a fantastic opportunity. Bain teams tend to be young, as they hire more undergrads, so this makes for a fun environment. The work is important and valuable to the client. The variety from case to case is huge, so know that while your experience will be representative, it will not be average or typical.

Advice to Management

Overall Bain is fantastic. I think the tools for retrieving past work and logging time/expense are sub-par.

Date: 2013

Best summer ever for professional and personal development

Everything!

Unpredictable hours in any client-based profession make it hard to plan things outside of work far in advance, but Bain does a great job working with their employees to make sure you can get away from the office when you need to.

Know that you will be taking ownership of several pieces of work, but feel comfortable reaching out to anyone in the office for help--Bain is such a supportive environment and everyone wants to help each other succeed.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)