Intern at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs? Submit a Review

Simply the Best

Chicago, IL | March 2015 | Former Intern

Received world-class training and got to actually do the job that would be expected of me full-time. There were all of these fun excursions, and the recruiting team really tries to unify your class.

This internship isn't a cake walk, so prepare to do work.

Comments

Understand what the "Bain culture" and see if it really fits you.

Exciting, Intense work with awesome people and an awesome company

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - Working with really smart, ambitious people helps push you to develop yourself

The autonomy - More than once I was given whole, discreet projects for the client to lead and solve on my own

The development - Whether it is formal training (in Cape Cod...awesome right?) or informal training from more senior members of the team there is a ton of opportunity to develop

Apparently you have to put something in this blank, but I can't think of anything to put

Be prepared for an intense internship - I was expecting much more hand holding and less client interaction. Most interns were given a discreet work stream that they were in charge of solving in the time they were there. Help was available but the responsibility to perform was on the intern

Typical case interview questions: Our client is a company that is losing money how would you turn it around... Our client is contemplating starting a business in this city....

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

Fun experience that really let you learn and understand firm culture and how they help clients

Great team environment

Heavy travel during the week

Make sure you understand the cultural differences between firms and that you choose the consulting firm that matches your preference

Rigorous case work with real input by interns. Exceptional intern programming with lots of fun in NYC. Truly lifelong friendships formed.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was never doing busy work and I knew exactly where my input would plug in as the team put together its analysis for the client. Beyond doing results-driven case work, the best aspect is really knowing that everyone at the firm--even the principals and partners on your case--really wants to get to know you personally, not just professionally. This job is all about the people, and Bain has the best people.

Ten weeks was too short! I want to start full time ASAP!

At the end of the day, your consulting experience will boil down to your experience on your case team. Bain's teams aren't just exceptionally smart and very good at delivering results to their clients--they are people you'll want to (and will actually) hang out with outside of work. Whether that's picnicking in Central Park, or sailing on the Hudson, or tasting neat foods at new restaurants, you won't just have "work fun," it'll be real fun.

If you can get this job, take it in a heartbeat

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was an integrated member of the team, traveling with them whenever they did. I was able to contribute significantly to the work we were doing. The intern class was a spectacular group of people that made the summer super fun as well. I could go on and on about the pros, but I'll leave it at that

It was too short? My only complaint is that I didn't feel like I could truly dive in to the material in just 10 weeks.

If you get this job, there is no reason you shouldn't take it.

Where would you locate a local cafe to maximize revenue and why?

Advice to Management

None

Intellectually challenging + Loads of fun

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Plenty of social events to bond with my intern group.

Not treated as an intern on the case, given full responsibility for work stream.

Amazing amount of support from the firm and the comfort of knowing that they really want you to succeed and get an offer.

In my particular case I worked a lot over the phone with a remote team and client which was a little challenging.

Even if you are not considering consulting full time, as an internship experience, this is one of best organized and thought out internship programs. You will definitely feel like you have been fully utilized and intellectually challenged. The benefits and fun events during the internship blow any other out of the water!

Mostly case interviews but during the 'fit' portion, typical questions include:

Why do you want to work here?

Why consulting?

What makes you good for this position?

Very general questions, it's expected to be more of a conversation.

Advice to Management

A little more PowerPoint training upfront.

Training for expected full-time stint balances challenging work with fun, welcoming culture

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, feeling of adding value, challenging/interesting work, intern events, cool travel opportunities

Unpredictable hours

Think about whether you want an ultra fun summer or to get a better idea of what a full time consulting job is - the internship offers both, but if you're not sure the lifestyle is for you it would be good to intimate that at the beginning to make sure you get more responsibility / work longer hours / travel, etc.

Size the market for ___ in ____

(Just read Case in Point for examples - structure might differ a little bit for Bain specifically but it will put you on the right path)

The summer were I manage to learn a ton but have so much fun

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, support system, the culture

Nothing at all

Understand the staffing process and what makes it different than other firms.

Questions about leadership skills

Advice to Management

TRy to make the summer experience as similar as possible to alll interns

Real work, real learning, real impact

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.