Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #4 Best Overall Internships

4.8 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 94 Intern Reviews)

Impactful, diverse, and engaging casework; aspiring and inspiring colleagues
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The coworkers, the planned events, and the realistic (but very real) expectations for the interns' work contributions.

Honestly, nothing comes to mind.

Bain's reputation for transparency and friendliness across the office is well-deserved. I genuinely felt like each encounter was a burgeoning friendship - from my manager to HR to office services. This atmosphere complements the quality of the firm's work.

Market size of a music festival: how much revenue do you think a large-scale, three day, urban music festival will generate?

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Unparalled consulting internship experience jam-packed with real responsibilities and unbelievabably fun intern events
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

firm's investment in making sure the intern class is well-bonded, professional development, real responsibilities, people

traveling mon-wed was amazing experience to bond with the team, but I lost some chances to bond as much with the other interns who were not traveling, but overall nothing I really disliked about the internship!

Do not hesitate to apply to Bain if you are remotely interested in consulting!!

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

The summer were I manage to learn a ton but have so much fun
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, support system, the culture

Nothing at all

Understand the staffing process and what makes it different than other firms.

Questions about leadership skills

Advice to Management

TRy to make the summer experience as similar as possible to alll interns

Exciting, Intense work with awesome people and an awesome company
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - Working with really smart, ambitious people helps push you to develop yourself

The autonomy - More than once I was given whole, discreet projects for the client to lead and solve on my own

The development - Whether it is formal training (in Cape Cod...awesome right?) or informal training from more senior members of the team there is a ton of opportunity to develop

Apparently you have to put something in this blank, but I can't think of anything to put

Be prepared for an intense internship - I was expecting much more hand holding and less client interaction. Most interns were given a discreet work stream that they were in charge of solving in the time they were there. Help was available but the responsibility to perform was on the intern

Typical case interview questions: Our client is a company that is losing money how would you turn it around... Our client is contemplating starting a business in this city....

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

If you can get this job, take it in a heartbeat
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was an integrated member of the team, traveling with them whenever they did. I was able to contribute significantly to the work we were doing. The intern class was a spectacular group of people that made the summer super fun as well. I could go on and on about the pros, but I'll leave it at that

It was too short? My only complaint is that I didn't feel like I could truly dive in to the material in just 10 weeks.

If you get this job, there is no reason you shouldn't take it.

Where would you locate a local cafe to maximize revenue and why?

Advice to Management

None

An incredible opportunity to develop your professional skill set, create long-lasting relationships and, above all, make an impact.
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Daily client interaction, strong coaching and development, amazing and talented peers/colleagues.

Sometimes the client doesn't listen to your advice.

Bain has a one-of-a-kind culture that you should definitely get to know. It is not like any other organization or consulting firm. It is very people focused, and people genuinely care about your well-being and development. Imagine working with your best friends on a daily basis, trying to solve very complex and difficult problems. That's what you'll be doing. Before you consider Bain, you should also have an idea of what type of industry you want to work in. Find the offices that serve those industries. Bain tends to focus more on local clients than other consulting firms, so the location you choose is very important.

Intellectually challenging + Loads of fun
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Plenty of social events to bond with my intern group.

Not treated as an intern on the case, given full responsibility for work stream.

Amazing amount of support from the firm and the comfort of knowing that they really want you to succeed and get an offer.

In my particular case I worked a lot over the phone with a remote team and client which was a little challenging.

Even if you are not considering consulting full time, as an internship experience, this is one of best organized and thought out internship programs. You will definitely feel like you have been fully utilized and intellectually challenged. The benefits and fun events during the internship blow any other out of the water!

Mostly case interviews but during the 'fit' portion, typical questions include:

Why do you want to work here?

Why consulting?

What makes you good for this position?

Very general questions, it's expected to be more of a conversation.

Advice to Management

A little more PowerPoint training upfront.

Real work, real learning, real impact
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Bain's summer involves working on supportive teams, with fun and incredibly intelligent individuals, and focusing on client results
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The exposure to the firm's culture (via it's amazingly impressive people) - Bain goes out of its way to make sure you meet people from all levels, with various backgrounds and expertise

nothing comes to mind

Take advantage of the many opportunities to experience Bain's culture to validate if it is the correct fit for you

n/a

Advice to Management

n/a

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)