Intern at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs? Submit a Review

True-to-life experience creating client results and having fun

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed having the ability to do real, meaningful work for my client as an important member of the team. I also really valued the regular, specific feedback and guidance from my supervisor and manager.

I would improve the in-office training our first two days.

I wish I had known how great the home-office staffing model makes your life, and how no other firms do this. Even if you are working on a case thousands of miles away from your home office and traveling, you are traveling with people you know and enjoy from your own office.

Challenging and fulfilling

Other (International) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns were given a lot of ownership to drive their own respective projects. The work is challenging and constantly changing.

I have no complains.

The pre-internship information sharing was effective.

Unparalleled experience where you will develop quickly working alongside the best people!

Atlanta, GA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The firm culture is unmatched, the people will do anything for you, and the work is impactful & meaningful.

Sometimes long hours and unpredictable.

I have learned that Bain & Company puts thoughtful intention into everything they do - from managing employees to delivering results for clients.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on work-life balance. Bain provides great work life balance, but there is always room for improvement.

Brainstorm strategic initiatives XYZ Technology Company could go after to drive revenue growth.

Tell me about yourself.

Why Bain?

Why consulting?

Super fun case team experience - great people, cool client

Atlanta, GA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at Bain, especially Bain Atlanta, is a major highlight. Everyone is really smart, positive, and friendly - at all levels and tenures. But it's not like a frat, as Bain is often stereotyped - there are lots of diverse people and personalities. Even as a nerdy introvert I was happy. I also enjoyed getting to know the other summer interns - we all got along well. Bain does a good job of picking competent, team-oriented people.

I was a little spoiled by my case - it was local, sustainable, and pretty easy. I didn't necessarily get the "real" consultant treatment. That said, it made for a great summer.

Read Lords of Strategy - you should learn about the history and philosophy of the major consulting firms. Also, ask about how partners are compensated. These things make a big difference, and ultimately led me to Bain.

I didn't think it was possible to learn this much in a summer

Houston, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The case, my Workstream and the client exposure I got throughout the summer were above and beyond what I expected. Also, there is something to be said about picking a company where you like the people you are working with. I loved spending time with my case time and in fact some of the days at the client in the team room were my favorites.

The ambiguity at the beginning of a case can be daunting.

Practice cases are similar to the actual job, except the data is harder to get in real life :)

Fast-paced, team-based work where interns really make a difference

San Francisco, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

THE PEOPLE; being a real, contributing part of the team; all the resources to support me and build my professional skillset; the constant change from day-to-day; the events organized for interns.

Hours (but I expected those to be long)

How great it is (that it's worth how awful case interviews were). I thought I wanted to work at McKinsey, and turned them down for Bain after realizing that the people here were very different and I liked them/fit with them way more.

Our client is a PE fund deciding whether they want to buy a failing lottery system and build it back up. Is this a good investment?

Our client is a semiconductor company whose profits have been falling for several years. They want to find out why and see what direction they should take the company in to bring them back up.

Challenging, but very enjoyable experience

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am in a class of almost 20 other interns, so it has been great getting to know them. The culture is fantastic. My manager has paid close attention to my professional development, giving me the opportunity to work independently and stretch myself.

N/A - I have enjoyed the internship.

Be very open with your manager about your professional development goals, and stretch yourself. Don't be afraid to reach out to others for help. There are more resources than you are aware of, and it would be a mistake not to use them.

Advice to Management

N/A

Walk me through your resume.
Tell me about a time when...

Impactful work and intelligent coworkers in a fun, supportive environment.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The caliber of people - I feel like I can learn from everyone here.
The culture - you genuinely become friends with everyone in the office. It's a strategic move by office leads to regularly provide employees with exceptional team bonding activities.
The type of work - I like that it's a variety and I like that it's always strategic and taking a new perspective.

The part I like least about the internship is that because there is so much variance in experience and we only have one work stream it's difficult to know how you will like other types of projects.

Know that the culture at Bain almost requires that the people in the office become a major friend group for you. Depending upon what you want this could be a major positive or negative. I personally am happy making a big portion of my close friends also officemates, others may want to keep the two separate. It's a personal choice.

Be prepared for both oral and written cases when it comes to second round interviews.

A great introduction to business and good work culture.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Participating in live cases and client work.

Really appreciated mentorship opportunities

Internship is a great opportunity to learn about the consulting industry and a broad exposure to the different roles consultants play

One of hte best decisions you could ever make

Sydney | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work, you learn so much so fast, are given real responsibility from the get go, after a week into my first case I was sitting down with the CFO 1 on 1 and going through models and KPIs that I had come up

I wish I had been given access to all the Bain models and ways of thinking months before I joined so that I would have been able to get a head start and immerse myself into the way of thinking

Really how amazing the people are, the environment is great and everyone truly does everything in their power to help you succeed. Be humble and willing to learn from others, sit back and observe and you will be running your own show in no-time.
It is so casual and open, none of the stuffy hierarchy or corporate red tape in other big firms. The culture here is truly different to the other big firms, way more of a family environment

Advice to Management

As mentioned before, giving interns access to the GXC and BVU earlier

Case question: You are a life insurance company and the naming rights for a sports stadium have come up for auction, should you buy them and how much should you pay?

Other then that normal questions specific to CV and cover letter