Intern at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs? Submit a Review

The Perfect Consulting Internship

August 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Amazing coworkers that inspire you daily, meaningful work, fun social events, great pay, no "face time" culture, and you get the opportunity to observe firsthand the inner workings of a business

While Bain does a lot to ensure their employees have a reasonable work-life balance, at times it is difficult to maintain

Comments

Definitely try to get to know the people at Bain - they are Bain's strongest selling point!

Associate Consultant Intern

August 2015 | FORMER INTERN

I am sure that I will never experience a better team in my entire life (even within Bain). As promised, the interaction with the client was very down-to-earth, which I enjoyed a lot.Learning curve was significant and support from team exceptional. After receiving negative feedback in the first weeks, the entire team worked increadibly hard to ensure that I develop sufficiently in the course of my internship to receive a full-time offer. Great team events, including countless relaxing team dinners and an amazing whole-day case ending event

Work-life balance not perfect. Although I enjoyed many free evenings, the workload is still significant. Travel. My case involved two three hour flights every week, including transfer to and from the airport, which made life more stressful than it should be.

Comments

Prepare for a challenging time during your internship with an awesome team.

Simply the Best

Chicago, IL | March 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Received world-class training and got to actually do the job that would be expected of me full-time. There were all of these fun excursions, and the recruiting team really tries to unify your class.

This internship isn't a cake walk, so prepare to do work.

Comments

Understand what the "Bain culture" and see if it really fits you.

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

Summer internship with Bain & Co. provides unparalleled opportunity for learning

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Diverse set of experiences amongst intern class, social aspect of internship is incredible (tons of events for interns throughout the summer), supportive supervisors/senior employees, high degree of transparency with feedback and offer status

There were honestly no true negative aspects of the internship for me.

If you are looking for a place to learn as much as possible right out of college while keeping the doors open for any career path this is the place. I met people doing incredible things while at Bain or right afterwards, and they all attributed their success to the training they received at Bain.

Real work, real learning, real impact

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.

If you can get this job, take it in a heartbeat

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was an integrated member of the team, traveling with them whenever they did. I was able to contribute significantly to the work we were doing. The intern class was a spectacular group of people that made the summer super fun as well. I could go on and on about the pros, but I'll leave it at that

It was too short? My only complaint is that I didn't feel like I could truly dive in to the material in just 10 weeks.

If you get this job, there is no reason you shouldn't take it.

Where would you locate a local cafe to maximize revenue and why?

Advice to Management

None

The summer were I manage to learn a ton but have so much fun

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, support system, the culture

Nothing at all

Understand the staffing process and what makes it different than other firms.

Questions about leadership skills

Advice to Management

TRy to make the summer experience as similar as possible to alll interns

Intern learns what it means to be consultant, has immense amounts of fun in the process

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

As an intern you are treated like a full member of your team. You get exposure to all parts of the job. In addition, the people who work there are of the highest caliber.

Some cases in consulting are not as interesting as others; mine was on the less interesting side. However, the people I got to work with more than made up for any boring days.

Ask the right questions. This job isn't for everybody, and you have to know what you want out of it before committing full time.