Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #4 Best Overall Internships

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

Real work, real learning, real impact
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.

Summer internship with Bain & Co. provides unparalleled opportunity for learning
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Diverse set of experiences amongst intern class, social aspect of internship is incredible (tons of events for interns throughout the summer), supportive supervisors/senior employees, high degree of transparency with feedback and offer status

There were honestly no true negative aspects of the internship for me.

If you are looking for a place to learn as much as possible right out of college while keeping the doors open for any career path this is the place. I met people doing incredible things while at Bain or right afterwards, and they all attributed their success to the training they received at Bain.

Intern learns what it means to be consultant, has immense amounts of fun in the process
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

As an intern you are treated like a full member of your team. You get exposure to all parts of the job. In addition, the people who work there are of the highest caliber.

Some cases in consulting are not as interesting as others; mine was on the less interesting side. However, the people I got to work with more than made up for any boring days.

Ask the right questions. This job isn't for everybody, and you have to know what you want out of it before committing full time.

Exciting, Intense work with awesome people and an awesome company
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - Working with really smart, ambitious people helps push you to develop yourself

The autonomy - More than once I was given whole, discreet projects for the client to lead and solve on my own

The development - Whether it is formal training (in Cape Cod...awesome right?) or informal training from more senior members of the team there is a ton of opportunity to develop

Apparently you have to put something in this blank, but I can't think of anything to put

Be prepared for an intense internship - I was expecting much more hand holding and less client interaction. Most interns were given a discreet work stream that they were in charge of solving in the time they were there. Help was available but the responsibility to perform was on the intern

Typical case interview questions: Our client is a company that is losing money how would you turn it around... Our client is contemplating starting a business in this city....

The summer were I manage to learn a ton but have so much fun
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, support system, the culture

Nothing at all

Understand the staffing process and what makes it different than other firms.

Questions about leadership skills

Advice to Management

TRy to make the summer experience as similar as possible to alll interns

Fun experience that really let you learn and understand firm culture and how they help clients
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great team environment

Heavy travel during the week

Make sure you understand the cultural differences between firms and that you choose the consulting firm that matches your preference

A Summer of Working Hard, Learning an Immense Amount, and Meeting Incredible People
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of interning at Bain was the mentorship that was available. As interns, we were immediately welcomed into the office community and given responsbility. The full time employees wanted to get to know us and wanted to see us succeed!

I had a wonderful time this summer!

Ask questions! Full time Bainies are more than happy to answer your questions, so keep asking them. It shows you are alert, know what's going on, and truly want to learn.

All interviews were case based, with standard case questions.

Bain & Company: People, Passion, Results
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that I was doing real work that made it into final client decks was unbelievably rewarding. Also, Bain's commitment to training and professional development is unrivaled, which sets you up incredibly well for whatever it is you want to go on to do after. Lastly, the people at Bain are incredible which promotes a really fun and unique culture.

There really isn't anything I disliked about the internship.

Bain's culture really is as great as they say it is!

You are hired by an Indonesian coal retailer. How big do you think the coal industry is in Indonesia and how would you increase your client's sales?

Advice to Management

Not that much, really.