Intern at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs? Submit a Review

Simply the Best

Chicago, IL | March 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Received world-class training and got to actually do the job that would be expected of me full-time. There were all of these fun excursions, and the recruiting team really tries to unify your class.

This internship isn't a cake walk, so prepare to do work.

Comments

Understand what the "Bain culture" and see if it really fits you.

I had incredibly high expectations, and Bain exceeded them in every area.

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Welcoming and accepting case team culture in which no questions were off-limits. Challenging and interesting work assignments. Relaxed and enjoyable office culture on Fridays.

I had good days and bad days, but that's expected in the working world. I can't think of anything noteworthy and negative to say.

Focus on the people, especially the way you'd think they'd behave in the case team room at the client site. If you feel like you could spend 12 + hours a day with them - working, talking, and joking - then it's probably a good fit. In top level consulting, the work will always be challenging, so you should be sure you'll enjoy the people. And Bain's are the best.

Real work, real learning, real impact

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - everyone in the office goes out of their way to make sure you have the tools you need to be successful

The work - potential for high-impact at some of the world's leading companies

The program - our intern class became my best friends by the end of the program and the firm went out of their way to plan events and trainings for our class

Steep learnig curve - even after a week of in-office training, there was a steep learning curve after being placed on our cases. There was a lot of opportunity for learning on the case but some more baseline training specific to the skills we would need on our cases could be helpful

Speak to as many people at the firm as you can during the recruiting process. They do a good job at giving a "realistic job preview" but employees who are less involved with recruiting may give less scripted/more insightful answers. The workforce is also so diverse that there will inevitably be someone in your position (e.g, from your school/with your same cross offers/etc)

Advice to Management

Be more deliberate with case assignments for ACIs. While all cases provided great opportunities, some cases weren't great fits for the skills sets we were looking to build.

Intern learns what it means to be consultant, has immense amounts of fun in the process

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

As an intern you are treated like a full member of your team. You get exposure to all parts of the job. In addition, the people who work there are of the highest caliber.

Some cases in consulting are not as interesting as others; mine was on the less interesting side. However, the people I got to work with more than made up for any boring days.

Ask the right questions. This job isn't for everybody, and you have to know what you want out of it before committing full time.

a serious look at the consulting lifestyle, with lots of perks

San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Building knowledge of the industry and the project work.

Nothing comes to mind

Prepare strongly for interviews

Why are you interested in working at Bain?

Why are you transitioning out of your former career?

Case: Why is this fast food company losing money?

Advice to Management

None at present

The summer were I manage to learn a ton but have so much fun

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, support system, the culture

Nothing at all

Understand the staffing process and what makes it different than other firms.

Questions about leadership skills

Advice to Management

TRy to make the summer experience as similar as possible to alll interns

Unparalled consulting internship experience jam-packed with real responsibilities and unbelievabably fun intern events

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

firm's investment in making sure the intern class is well-bonded, professional development, real responsibilities, people

traveling mon-wed was amazing experience to bond with the team, but I lost some chances to bond as much with the other interns who were not traveling, but overall nothing I really disliked about the internship!

Do not hesitate to apply to Bain if you are remotely interested in consulting!!

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

If you can get this job, take it in a heartbeat

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was an integrated member of the team, traveling with them whenever they did. I was able to contribute significantly to the work we were doing. The intern class was a spectacular group of people that made the summer super fun as well. I could go on and on about the pros, but I'll leave it at that

It was too short? My only complaint is that I didn't feel like I could truly dive in to the material in just 10 weeks.

If you get this job, there is no reason you shouldn't take it.

Where would you locate a local cafe to maximize revenue and why?

Advice to Management

None

Exciting, Intense work with awesome people and an awesome company

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - Working with really smart, ambitious people helps push you to develop yourself

The autonomy - More than once I was given whole, discreet projects for the client to lead and solve on my own

The development - Whether it is formal training (in Cape Cod...awesome right?) or informal training from more senior members of the team there is a ton of opportunity to develop

Apparently you have to put something in this blank, but I can't think of anything to put

Be prepared for an intense internship - I was expecting much more hand holding and less client interaction. Most interns were given a discreet work stream that they were in charge of solving in the time they were there. Help was available but the responsibility to perform was on the intern

Typical case interview questions: Our client is a company that is losing money how would you turn it around... Our client is contemplating starting a business in this city....