Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Consulting Internships  /  #1 Best Internships for MBA Candidates  /  #2 Best Overall Internships

Bain's ACI Program worth the hype

The ability to have a meaningful impact on my team/client. The office culture which is unmatched. The bonding experiences with my fellow interns and all of Bain's employees.

The hours were long at times but I still loved every minute

Just relax and remember that Bain wants you to succeed. They will put you in a position to grow and constantly challenge you to do better.

Advice to Management

Bain is already doing great, but should keep focusing on awesome events that bring the whole office together

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Date: 2013

best high-profile generalist intern experience, where you are treated as an equal, not just a coffee boy

Work/life balance; perks like overnight office retreat in the Poconos and fancy dinners; great exposure to senior leadership and mentoring opportunities; two days off for 4th of July; great pay; brilliant and charasmatic colleagues

Not much to complain about besides there sometimes long hours and travel requirements

Be prepared to do whatever is asked for you, and have a good attitude about it

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - never underestimate the power of employee advocacy

How to be a consultant

The level of responsibility allowed me to truely understand what life as a full-time consultant will be like.

Being an intern is not fun, becasue it feels like, and is, an 11 week interview.

Make sure you find the place where you are a best fit; find your natural owner.

Date: 2013

#1 firm, #1, #1 experience.

Mazing access to interesting clients and people

Nothing really to dislike.

If you can get the job, take it. There isn't anywhere better.

Advice to Management

They are on the ball, don't need my help

Date: 2013

'Standard Case Experience' - Hard Work - Interesting - Fun.

Given a substantial and important workstream of the case and a reasonable level of autonomy. The team was great to work with, it was a supportive and fun environment. Also doing very significant work for the client. The internship program was also fantastic.

I missed the up front team discussion of working styles and norms.

Great place to work. The work aspect of the internship is 100% 'real' work and interns are slotted in as a true consultant. There is also some great intern programming which allows the class to get to know one another.

A Work-Hard, Play-Hard Summer at Bain&Company

The balance of real responsibility and fun. I learned so muc and usually had a great time doing it.

I really liked everything about it.

Bain is not only a well-respected company, but is filled with people who manage to balance an easy going, fun loving attitude with incredible work ethic and intelligence.

Date: 2013

Best summer ever for professional and personal development

Everything!

Unpredictable hours in any client-based profession make it hard to plan things outside of work far in advance, but Bain does a great job working with their employees to make sure you can get away from the office when you need to.

Know that you will be taking ownership of several pieces of work, but feel comfortable reaching out to anyone in the office for help--Bain is such a supportive environment and everyone wants to help each other succeed.

Date: 2013

A perfect mix of challenging and high-impact work with a professional development focus and endless fun with my case team and fellow interns

-I was given the responsibility and freedom to act as a full-time colleague and add value to my team's work -My supervisor was very young and relatable, and made my experience one of his top priorities throughout the entire summer -The members of my team were great mentors, lots of fun, and very diverse/international -ACI summer programming and Samara Caplan (our recruiting coordinator): events were frequent (1+/week), fun and extremely well thought out

...I can't think of anything negative. Can't wait to start full-time next year.

-People are truly happy to work here on a daily basis -- make sure to gauge whether that is really true at other firms, or if people are just putting on a happy face the recruiting process. -The exit opportunities are endless -- so, unless you are absolutely certain that you want to go directly into a particular industry after undergrad (i.e. private equity, tech, investing/hedge funds), there is no downside to interning and working at Bain full-time for at least 2-3 years to develop top-notch hard & soft skills and learn about a variety of industries -If you are set on consulting and trying to decide between top firms, and strongly interested in private equity for post-consulting, be aware the Bain has (from what I can see) stronger relationships with private equity firms than its competitiors. You also will get more exposure to private equity here, if you want to, since you can do a discrete ~6-month rotation during private equity work (not the same at other firms)

Advice to Management

No advice -- they literally make an effort to perfect each of the issues listed in this question on a daily basis.

I don't know...

- Having the opportunity to be mentored by people at all levels of the company, from new consultants to senior partners - Becoming a real part of the Bain community - Becoming great friends with all of the other interns and all of my co-workers - Learning so much about business and strategy - Having the opportunity to contribute to my team in a valuable way - Being challenged in a way that helped me to grow and learn - Doing work that was highly impactful (helping leaders of multi-billion $ companies make decisions)

Some days felt really long when I was working at my computer for many hours.

This is an unparalleled experience to do important, impactful, and exciting work with some of the brightest and nicest people that you will ever meet.

Fantastic culture, great clients

The team I worked with and the travel

Some of the work was a little basic

If you like the people you meet during the recruitment process, you'll have a fantastic time on your internship.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)