Intern at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs? Submit a Review

The Perfect Consulting Internship

August 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Amazing coworkers that inspire you daily, meaningful work, fun social events, great pay, no "face time" culture, and you get the opportunity to observe firsthand the inner workings of a business

While Bain does a lot to ensure their employees have a reasonable work-life balance, at times it is difficult to maintain

Comments

Definitely try to get to know the people at Bain - they are Bain's strongest selling point!

Associate Consultant Intern

August 2015 | FORMER INTERN

I am sure that I will never experience a better team in my entire life (even within Bain). As promised, the interaction with the client was very down-to-earth, which I enjoyed a lot.Learning curve was significant and support from team exceptional. After receiving negative feedback in the first weeks, the entire team worked increadibly hard to ensure that I develop sufficiently in the course of my internship to receive a full-time offer. Great team events, including countless relaxing team dinners and an amazing whole-day case ending event

Work-life balance not perfect. Although I enjoyed many free evenings, the workload is still significant. Travel. My case involved two three hour flights every week, including transfer to and from the airport, which made life more stressful than it should be.

Comments

Prepare for a challenging time during your internship with an awesome team.

Simply the Best

Chicago, IL | March 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Received world-class training and got to actually do the job that would be expected of me full-time. There were all of these fun excursions, and the recruiting team really tries to unify your class.

This internship isn't a cake walk, so prepare to do work.

Comments

Understand what the "Bain culture" and see if it really fits you.

Extremely fun and interesting experience, with the opportunity to become a true member of the team.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Bain does a great job of building a community and fully embedding its interns in the day to day. Unlike other internships, I got the full experience of being a consultant and had the opportunity to truly contribute.

It can be difficult to feel completely up to speed in such a short time.

Really prepare for the interview and fully understand Bain's culture. It is a unique culture that sets it apart from its competitors, and finding people that fit in that culture is an important part of the evaluation process.

Training for expected full-time stint balances challenging work with fun, welcoming culture

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, feeling of adding value, challenging/interesting work, intern events, cool travel opportunities

Unpredictable hours

Think about whether you want an ultra fun summer or to get a better idea of what a full time consulting job is - the internship offers both, but if you're not sure the lifestyle is for you it would be good to intimate that at the beginning to make sure you get more responsibility / work longer hours / travel, etc.

Size the market for ___ in ____

(Just read Case in Point for examples - structure might differ a little bit for Bain specifically but it will put you on the right path)

Exciting, Intense work with awesome people and an awesome company

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people - Working with really smart, ambitious people helps push you to develop yourself

The autonomy - More than once I was given whole, discreet projects for the client to lead and solve on my own

The development - Whether it is formal training (in Cape Cod...awesome right?) or informal training from more senior members of the team there is a ton of opportunity to develop

Apparently you have to put something in this blank, but I can't think of anything to put

Be prepared for an intense internship - I was expecting much more hand holding and less client interaction. Most interns were given a discreet work stream that they were in charge of solving in the time they were there. Help was available but the responsibility to perform was on the intern

Typical case interview questions: Our client is a company that is losing money how would you turn it around... Our client is contemplating starting a business in this city....

If you can get this job, take it in a heartbeat

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was an integrated member of the team, traveling with them whenever they did. I was able to contribute significantly to the work we were doing. The intern class was a spectacular group of people that made the summer super fun as well. I could go on and on about the pros, but I'll leave it at that

It was too short? My only complaint is that I didn't feel like I could truly dive in to the material in just 10 weeks.

If you get this job, there is no reason you shouldn't take it.

Where would you locate a local cafe to maximize revenue and why?

Advice to Management

None

Fun experience that really let you learn and understand firm culture and how they help clients

Great team environment

Heavy travel during the week

Make sure you understand the cultural differences between firms and that you choose the consulting firm that matches your preference

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

Rigorous case work with real input by interns. Exceptional intern programming with lots of fun in NYC. Truly lifelong friendships formed.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was never doing busy work and I knew exactly where my input would plug in as the team put together its analysis for the client. Beyond doing results-driven case work, the best aspect is really knowing that everyone at the firm--even the principals and partners on your case--really wants to get to know you personally, not just professionally. This job is all about the people, and Bain has the best people.

Ten weeks was too short! I want to start full time ASAP!

At the end of the day, your consulting experience will boil down to your experience on your case team. Bain's teams aren't just exceptionally smart and very good at delivering results to their clients--they are people you'll want to (and will actually) hang out with outside of work. Whether that's picnicking in Central Park, or sailing on the Hudson, or tasting neat foods at new restaurants, you won't just have "work fun," it'll be real fun.