Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern (ACI) and Summer Associate (SA) programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Consulting Internships  /  #4 Best Overall Internships

4.8 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 94 Intern Reviews)

Intellectually challenging + Loads of fun
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Plenty of social events to bond with my intern group.

Not treated as an intern on the case, given full responsibility for work stream.

Amazing amount of support from the firm and the comfort of knowing that they really want you to succeed and get an offer.

In my particular case I worked a lot over the phone with a remote team and client which was a little challenging.

Even if you are not considering consulting full time, as an internship experience, this is one of best organized and thought out internship programs. You will definitely feel like you have been fully utilized and intellectually challenged. The benefits and fun events during the internship blow any other out of the water!

Mostly case interviews but during the 'fit' portion, typical questions include:

Why do you want to work here?

Why consulting?

What makes you good for this position?

Very general questions, it's expected to be more of a conversation.

Advice to Management

A little more PowerPoint training upfront.

Bain ACI program: learning, development, camaraderie, exposure, responsibility
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for client interaction and the expectation that interns could and would participate in client meetings when appropriate, complex data analytics assignments, lots of slide design, many opportunities to interact with other interns and current employees in an informal setting, mentorship and commitment to addressing professional development areas.

Difficult to create a uniform experience across interns who were staffed on separate cases, hours were unpredictable but reasonable, a monthly subway pass would have been a nice perk.

Take time to get to know the people. Consulting requires such close collaboration that the quality of your coworkers will ultimately play a big part in how happy you are with your job. Bainies are down-to-earth, extremely intelligent, and don't take themselves too seriously. You will have opportunities to work with some of the world's leading companies, gain exposure to a variety of industries, and build a foundational business skill set that will give you tons of career flexibility and enable you to attack any business problem with purpose.

What are you most proud of?

Talk about a time when you had to display leadership?

Any question relating to something on your resume.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have intern events scheduled more on Mondays and Fridays when all interns are in the office.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

An incredible opportunity to develop your professional skill set, create long-lasting relationships and, above all, make an impact.
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Daily client interaction, strong coaching and development, amazing and talented peers/colleagues.

Sometimes the client doesn't listen to your advice.

Bain has a one-of-a-kind culture that you should definitely get to know. It is not like any other organization or consulting firm. It is very people focused, and people genuinely care about your well-being and development. Imagine working with your best friends on a daily basis, trying to solve very complex and difficult problems. That's what you'll be doing. Before you consider Bain, you should also have an idea of what type of industry you want to work in. Find the offices that serve those industries. Bain tends to focus more on local clients than other consulting firms, so the location you choose is very important.

Training for expected full-time stint balances challenging work with fun, welcoming culture
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, feeling of adding value, challenging/interesting work, intern events, cool travel opportunities

Unpredictable hours

Think about whether you want an ultra fun summer or to get a better idea of what a full time consulting job is - the internship offers both, but if you're not sure the lifestyle is for you it would be good to intimate that at the beginning to make sure you get more responsibility / work longer hours / travel, etc.

Size the market for ___ in ____

(Just read Case in Point for examples - structure might differ a little bit for Bain specifically but it will put you on the right path)

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A Summer of Working Hard, Learning an Immense Amount, and Meeting Incredible People
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of interning at Bain was the mentorship that was available. As interns, we were immediately welcomed into the office community and given responsbility. The full time employees wanted to get to know us and wanted to see us succeed!

I had a wonderful time this summer!

Ask questions! Full time Bainies are more than happy to answer your questions, so keep asking them. It shows you are alert, know what's going on, and truly want to learn.

All interviews were case based, with standard case questions.

a serious look at the consulting lifestyle, with lots of perks
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Building knowledge of the industry and the project work.

Nothing comes to mind

Prepare strongly for interviews

Why are you interested in working at Bain?

Why are you transitioning out of your former career?

Case: Why is this fast food company losing money?

Advice to Management

None at present

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

I had incredibly high expectations, and Bain exceeded them in every area.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Welcoming and accepting case team culture in which no questions were off-limits. Challenging and interesting work assignments. Relaxed and enjoyable office culture on Fridays.

I had good days and bad days, but that's expected in the working world. I can't think of anything noteworthy and negative to say.

Focus on the people, especially the way you'd think they'd behave in the case team room at the client site. If you feel like you could spend 12 + hours a day with them - working, talking, and joking - then it's probably a good fit. In top level consulting, the work will always be challenging, so you should be sure you'll enjoy the people. And Bain's are the best.

Unparalled consulting internship experience jam-packed with real responsibilities and unbelievabably fun intern events
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

firm's investment in making sure the intern class is well-bonded, professional development, real responsibilities, people

traveling mon-wed was amazing experience to bond with the team, but I lost some chances to bond as much with the other interns who were not traveling, but overall nothing I really disliked about the internship!

Do not hesitate to apply to Bain if you are remotely interested in consulting!!

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Impactful, diverse, and engaging casework; aspiring and inspiring colleagues
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The coworkers, the planned events, and the realistic (but very real) expectations for the interns' work contributions.

Honestly, nothing comes to mind.

Bain's reputation for transparency and friendliness across the office is well-deserved. I genuinely felt like each encounter was a burgeoning friendship - from my manager to HR to office services. This atmosphere complements the quality of the firm's work.

Market size of a music festival: how much revenue do you think a large-scale, three day, urban music festival will generate?

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Join a fantastic team of talented individuals and create value for clients on interesting cases
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Too many to list. But among them...

1. Working with fantastic people

2. Doing cool work on interesting cases

3. Compensation is generous

4. Fantastic opportunities for personal development (many trainings and opportunities to learn valuable skills on the job)

5. Incredible access to talented individuals both inside and outside of Bain (such as grad school admissions officers)

1. Hours can be long but the company makes every effort to make them fun and worthwhile

2. Travel can be hit or miss, depending on the client site

The interview process was challenging but certainly worth it at the end. The ACI program will give a very accurate idea of what full-time work at Bain is like

Difficult to state succintly. Basically, the interview is two parts. One part is the fit (tell me about yourself, name a time when...), and the other is the actual case. I had four different cases, but the basic premise in each one is to solve a problem using the information given, while being able to walk the interviewer through your thought process. There's definitely a combination of math and "softer" elements to each case.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The training is very valuable, and certainly helpful when recruiting a class from such different backgrounds (everyone from finance majors to English majors)