Intern at College Works Painting Internship? Submit a Review

Running your first business successfully

Austin, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and experiences

Very time consuming

Great internship for a driver who wants to really learn in an hands on way.

Advice to Management

Improvements on training tactics

This is not just an internship. It changes lives. And how many chances does someone get in life to start and run their own business?

San Diego, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

How much i grew as an individual. Im pre med and the two things i always considered myself terrible at before the internship was: business and communication. So the fact i actually ended up being the top intern in southern california and running a 100K business says A LOT. And ironically my strength in the internship ended up being sales. Also all the cool payroll friday events and end of the year trip to cancun were a lot of fun!

How many hours go into running your own business. I was working 35 hours a week during spring, 80 hours a week during summer. Also mentors should have been more involved during the production session in teaching interns how to paint properly and how to manage.

Anyone who is considering College Works Painting as an internship.....This is not for the faint of heart. For most people this internship is the hardest thing they have ever done in their life. There will be many times you will want to quit and give up, but the people who will succeed are the ones who will push through all the challenges and never give up. So if your ready to take on the ultimate life challenge, do this internship.

Advice to Management

They should have the mentors more involved during production season and train the interns better from the start about management of employees and how to produce a quality paint job.

Risk free opportunity to learn all aspects of running your own business.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Social networks, compensation, ability to learn and grow, mentors and company resources, and real life experiences that most internships or college programs do not offer.

The hours can be overwhelming especially in the summer, not a good internship with someone who has a poor work ethic.

Great opportunity if you are looking to learn a lot in a short time frame, I consider this a masters in business in a time span of a few months. However it is an intense work schedule and is certainly not for just anyone.

Advice to Management

Need to be more realistic with estimated hours and there should be some kind of check system in order for painters to make budgets, this alone would greatly help the employee retention.

I learned more in my summer as an intern than all previous jobs combined.

Bellevue, WA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture of the company that rewards hard work and creates long term relationships

The high level of stress that comes with the job can be overwhelming at times

My advice would be to pursue this internship only if you are fully committed. I saw a lot of interns drop out with the high level of stress. You are required to work extremely hard and think on your feet so be ready to learn a lot in a short period of time

Lean how to Manage and Grow a Business. Build Your Resume. Real World Experience Running a Business

Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Culture is Awesome! The Experience is Great! I learned a Ton. The best aspects were how helpful and relatable my bosses were. They really make it a point to Teach you how to succeed in business. It's an amazing learning experience.

At first it is a lot of work and it's kind of hard to handle. I really had to get my self organized and change my lifestyle pretty quickly. That was the hardest part of the internship for me.

Be willing to work hard, work on your communication skills, listen to your District Manager because they know a lot and have been in your shoes, and get yourself organized.

you determine how successful you are

Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the experience

it is a ton of work and you dont really get and breaks

give it your all and you will do well

Advice to Management

it does a great job

Fantastic learning and business management experience.

Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on aspects of everyday business

Summer can be stressful, power through it and all ends well

Be ready to work, and put time in. You will learn more in one season with CWP than any business class.

College Works Painting changes lives.

Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The benefits are improved communication skills, leadership ability, confidence, and responsibility. Additionally the internship is a great resume builder and has provided me with lifelong friends.

It is very demanding in terms of the amount of time required to succeed. Can compromise social life.

The biggest piece of advice I would be able to give is to understand that this internship will be a great challenge but if you can be dedicated and committed it will yield results.

Advice to Management

College works painting could improve as an internship if the interns were given a little more support. Part of the internship is to develop yourself as an independent leader however this is often accomplished by somewhat "throwing the interns to the wolves" which fires you to grow up very fast but also causes stress and frustration at times.

Time management is key: This is an extremely difficult internship and requires full attention and much time.

Boulder, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The overall experience of the internship, I learned how to run my own business and its not easy. You could work your own hours and schedule clients around them. The part of hiring and maintaining your own employees was great.

I didn't like how much for was asked to be put in during the school year. It got in the way of classes and grades a little, but it was worth it in the end.

Be ready to work hard and sacrifice time and even some money in the beginning. If you work hard and give yourself to the company, you will be rewarded in the end.

Advice to Management

A lower overhead charge that the company takes would make for easier working environments and higher compensation.

This intership will force you to be successful not only in the program, but for any challenges you face through out the rest of your life.

Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Besides from learning invaluable skills in managing a business and more importantly my self, the two best aspects are the company culture, and the weekly company events /retreats to take a break from work.

My least favorite thing is the time commitment, but with that said every second was worth it.

This internship is open to anyone who wants a challenge, and is looking to grow as an individual. This internship is for running a painting business, yet I am a student in Nuclear engineering and originally I possesed zero painting experience. Despite having a completely unrelated interest in life, I have experienced something I will benefit from for the rest of my life, and hold as one of the greatest decisions I have made in my life.