Intern at College Works Painting Internship? Submit a Review

College Works Painting Internship

Eau Claire, WI | October 2017 | FORMER INTERN

This internship is hard as hell, but the challenge is exactly what sets you apart from others. What you put into it is what you get out of it. I learned more transferable skills than any other internship can teach you because no other internship is going to offer you this much freedom and responsibility to run things the way you want to. I am 21 years old and I ran a $79,000 business; worked with 25 clients that I personally booked; recruited, hired, And trained 12 employees; recieved 8 stellar reference letters to include with my resume; and made $13,800 over the past 6 months. What other college students leave school with those kind of real-world skills?

Like I said, this internship is what you put into it which is why for some people this internship is not a good fit. Some people who were hired with me complain about this internship because when the going got tough, they gave up or made excuses. But that's exactly why if you have a strong work ethic and grit, this internship WILL set you apart. I worked a ton so be prepared to dedicate all of your time to this in the Summer. It was about 20 hours a week in the spring semester and I worked about 85 hours a week in the Summer. Personally I don't have more than 2 friends that I think could have successfully done this internship because of the dedication it takes and the amount of problems you can encounter (such as spilling paint everywhere, having employees call in sick when you have no backup, having a crabby client who thinks painting their house will magically make it look like brand new boards, having the paint store somehow run out of paint, going over budget on a job, etc.) You will encounter a lot of problems but it really helped me become successful at problem solving, stress management, and time management.

Comments

I gained an enormous amount of confidence through this experience and I would not trade it for anything.

Review from an owner.

Eagan, MN | October 2017 | FORMER INTERN

The diversity of the program is what I would consider to be the best aspect of the program. When picking a work place there are many things to consider from location, pay, flexibility, culture, experience, and many more. This program is able to customize all of those. For me personality it was the experience, I did the program as a freshmen and because I did the internship young I was able to compound my experience the next three years in school and graduate with multiple job offers including six figure opportunities.

To everything there is an opportunity cost. Spending time doing this takes away from being able to do something such as travel to a third world country and volunteer. I personally get fulfillment from giving back but in order to set up myself to be a leader I want to be for my future family working is important. Because this is a what you put into it is what you get out of it this is not a program you can do while also spending half the summer in a different country which can be rewarding while in college.

Comments

Ask for help and advice even when you do not have questions. Ask yourself...well if I did have a question, what would it be? Never be afraid to reach out, your superiors want you to do well! Just like the students that spend the most time learning and figuring out the information in office hours it is the same here. The most successful interns are not just the ones who are the most talented but discipline and eager to improve.

Extremely challenging would not recommend

11742, NY | October 2017 | FORMER INTERN

The program gave me the opportunity to learn how to run my own business which no other internship gave me that much responsibility

Dedicated to much time to the program in the spring causing me to fall behind on class. Summer time was working close to 60+ hours a week sometimes having to actually paint myself. Company also has you go door to door which is very challenging to get results from.

Comments

Do your research there are easier internships that you can find that can help just as much as CWP did. I would not say I regret doing the program, but I would not do it again.

Challenging, Life-changing, More than an Internship

Denver, CO | October 2017 | FORMER INTERN

I have never seen more growth in myself in a 6 month program. In sales, communications, and leadership. Also, my confidence in what I can and will accomplish in the future has grown amazingly. This was a great experience, and I will remember the life lessons and people forever.

Time management and long work days. Worth all of it in the end.

Comments

It's daunting, challenging, and demanding. But, this is for driven and ambitious college students who want to set themselves apart from others. There is no comfort in growth, and no growth in comfort.

A Life Changing Experience, not an Internship

Detroit, MI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and people I get to work with. And the crazy amount of responsibility I had.

Long Hours with stressful days. And some small aspects of the job that aren't fun, like cold calling

If you want a basic internship in an office setting this is NOT for you. This is a wild rollercoaster ride where you will be in charge of every aspect of your branch of a business. The highs are higher than you can imagine, but that means the lows are very tough. That is what I loved the most and why it changed me as a person so much.

Advice to Management

A more organized process to the training. Things often times were last minute.

What is the most challenging endeavor you have chosen to take on?
What have you done in your past that you feel separates you from your peer group?

Best Internship You Can Do

Lansing, MI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Money (made $19,000 in a summer)
Friendships (badasses)
Learning how to sell
Working one on one with someone who was an intern within the last 2 years (the DM)
Trips (Chicago several times, Windsor, Golfing etc)

There are no cons to this internship if you don't complain.

This internship is perfect for someone who doesnt know exactly what they want to do career wise. Theres so many different industries you can experience (HR, Sales, Accounting, Project Management). Highly recommended for anyone who likes a challenge. This is not for the type of person that is fragile and weak, this is for the kind of person that can deal with adversity, has strong emotions and passion but does not let those emotions get the best of them. You won't do well if you can't handle rejection. This internship will teach you so many more life lessons than you could learn anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Overall a well managed internship. Just make sure people know what they are getting into. I would say half the people quit because they didn't realize they would have to work hard and almost always be out of their comfort zone. A lot of people cant handle that.

What leadership roles did you have in the past?

How many hours did you work last summer?

Why should you be allowed/trusted to handle 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars.

College Works changed my life

Lansing, MI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Skill development, schedule flexibility, compensation, company culture.

The work load was a lot to handle at times. This never held me back.

I would recommend the College Works internship to anyone. If you are willing to step outside of your comfort zone and create a bright future for yourself this is definitely for you.

Advice to Management

More training could never hurt

Are you willing to experience the hardest summer of your life?

Challenging and Different

Madison, WI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal growth

Time management

Please consider if you are actually a hard worker, or just imagine yourself as one, before taking this on

Advice to Management

Continue to give students as much hands on teaching as their schedules allow

Why would you be a good fit?
How could you benefit from running a business?
Why are you coachable?

Work Hard Play Hard

Minneapolis, MN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Professional development, stepping out of comfort zone, self motivation, flexible hours

Takes awhile to profit

The hardest thing that I've ever done and the most rewarding by far. The company events every two weeks are a huge highlight

Advice to Management

Quicker profit

Why do you think you'd be successful at this internship

I learned more during this internship than I ever learned in a classroom

Pittsburgh, PA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a lot of responsibility and was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

Tough to get started, have to learn and develop yourself a lot before you can be successful

If you are willing to work hard and follow the system you will be very successful

Advice to Management

Focus on production in early season (March, April, May.) more produced = more sold