College Works Painting Internship

Learn how to run a business while in school in a protected enviroment with no risk or liability
Seattle, WA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture of the company was awesome. They had fun events to blow off steam and really cared about the success of each and every intern. It was nice to actually have responsibility as opposed to shadowing someone in an office.

Although very rewarding, it is also very stressful and difficult.

Enter into the internship knowing it is difficult and listen to your mentor and you will succeed.

Advice to Management

Nothing comes to mind.

Eye opening, challenging, life changing, stressful and fun
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Offers a buffet of business skills. High responsibility work. Learning by doing. Real money, real people; world experience

Amount of hours required

Only apply if you are looking challenge yourself.

The Complete Business Experience
Madison, WI | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning how to effectively market
Learning how to effectively sell
Pay grade
Soft skill development (Leadership, professional communication, etc.)
Management skill development
Individuality and recognition of a job well done

Time commitment at some points
Independence in some spots
Driving hours (depends on the intern's location)

This internship completely changed my life for the better. I learned to be a more effective and professional communicator and person overall. It really doesn't matter what you're profession will be, because a business on your resume says a lot more about you than a job at an office. You will refine the skills that you are strong at while developing the skills that you're weak at.

Advice to Management

The only issue I saw was hiring the wrong people-the reason why people think the internship is a scam is a variety of variables; one of them is because other painting internships require payment and many interns end up owing money at the end of the internship. The other is hiring people who say they will work hard but in turn end up being lazy, and of course blaming the company for their deficiencies. With a four-step interview process, it's hard to imagine being more selective, but something needs to be done so we make sure we get the right people.

College Works Painting was one of the most challenging, yet rewarding things that I have ever done.
Eugene, OR | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Culture made by the business mentors and executives in the business. The opportunity for expansion and the opportunity to push yourself passed your limits. There is no dead ends and you can keep progressing as long as you have the job. You get paid what your worth which is great news for people that are used to working hard and getting paid the same as everyone else.

Sometimes having to deal with difficult people from clients to employees and having uncomfortable interactions.

If you are enthusiastic and you have goals that you are highly motivated to reach and strive for, you will be successful. %60 or more of success is a head game and that's one of the many things that this internship taught me.

Advice to Management

Expectations around the way that pay structure works could be set a little bit better so that one can plan accordingly rather than blindly going through and not understanding how much they are going to get and what factors effect that.

The best training for leadership a college student can get
Worcester, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

How challenging it was. It forced me out of my comfort zone and because of that I learned more in 6 months than I did in four years of college. The culture was amazing. Some of my best friends are people I did the internship with.

It was very challenging. If you are not willing to work hard, you will not be successful.

I believe there are 3 things that will determine if you are successful at College Works. 1. You have to be willing to work very hard. 2. You have to believe in yourself. 3. You have to believe in the internship. If you do those 3 things you will be successful. I got an offer from all 3 jobs I interviewed with after the internship. One in marketing, finance, and sales. I also had 3 other offers from networking I did during the internship. This was because of what I learned and what I accomplished at College Works.

The ultimate leadership experience
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Company culture and values, mentor support, networking opportunities, compensation and bonuses, qualifications of superiors

Hard work, delayed gratification

One of the most difficult, yet rewarding opportunities for a college student. Will stand out on ANY resume

The only opportunity to truly experience entrepreneurship at such a young age.
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and atmosphere that CWP creates an amazing environment for learning the fundamentals to run a business. With a balance of work and fun, each intern grows dramatically.

My least favorite part was probably marketing. Once you get over that, its an adventure from there.

This is the only internship that gives you the opportunity to have the most unique experience as a college student. You learn business, project management, quality control, employee management, and so much more. You learn to promote yourself as an individual in everything you do, and you let you can truly let your work reflect your work ethic.

Advice to Management

Create a more enjoyable atmosphere early on, so that interns are motivated by other means to generate buy in.

Incredible opportunity that gave me the skills to be successful in whatever career I choose while making 15k my 1st yr. and 40k my 2nd yr.
Portland, OR | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great experience, get to manage a business with the protection of an established company, make great money to help pay for school, earn college credits, learn management and leadership skills, learn all the aspects of how a business works, learn project management and time-managment and networking.

It is a challenging internship so if you are not a hard working individual than it is not for you. You earn what you make with College Works Painting so if you are lazy don't expect to make what most interns do.

Listen to your mentors and other interns you are working with and hold yourself accountable to our goals. Interns that are successful are coachable and hard workers.

The most important experience of my life so far
Portland, OR | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to choose how successful I would be at the program. The people I worked with and the support they gave me. The communication and organizational skills that I learned. The ability to be a manager and run a business at my age (19 at the time).

It takes a lot of time to build a client base, so it's important to have a strong motivation to succeed.

Think about how the program can challenge you to step outside your comfort zone and how that could make you a more well rounded individual and a more marketable employee for your future career. The skills that you can gain from this program are applicable to any major and any job.

Great opportunity to gain skills in every field of business, get real world work experience, gain skills in management, and comm.
Irvine, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Co. Culture and personal development and the resume booster.

Marketing was dull and not fun but it was very necessary and a good skill to learn and put on a resume.

The best most expansive internship there is. It will absolutely put you ahead of your peers and prepare you for the real world.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can think of.