Symantec Internship Program

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 89 Intern Reviews)

Research internship with some of the best researchers in the industry

- Important project

- Plenty of freedom to come up with ideas outside research project

- Really nice and friendly environment

- Personal office

- California weather: too hot and dry for my taste.

Symantec is a place where even as an intern you will be treated like just another employee.

Very good knowledge and learning experience with future opportunities
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work exposure was good. Compensation is good. Work life is well balanced.

Everything was great. no reason to unlike anything here. you will find very good culture.

You will have very good work environment.

SYMANTEC'S 10+ weeks of AYCLAP! (All You Can Learn and Play) You know what you want to!
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship is getting to meet knowledgable, friendly, and wonderful people who create many opportunities for interns to learn, network, grow, and be a giant step closer to achieving their dreams and goals. Although everyone I met during my internship falls under that aspect, the people most notable are the ones I work with on the team. The chemistry and rapport is simply amazing.

My next favorite, losing in a game of foosball. Losing, as much as winning, is important. Losing allowed me to learn why I lost, think about how and what I can do better in the next game, and lastly, it prepared me for losing in the "real world." We all know the feeling we get when losing in any sort of competition, game, or life in general, but to turn to the tables around on a lost is one of the things I enjoy because it allows us to grow and become stronger and better than we were before the lost.

My least favorite thing about the internship is when it's time to go home. Going home meant that I had to completely stop in my tracks of researching whatever I was stumped on and go home. Of course, I'd just go home and do research, but I'm not able to apply my theories until the next day. I guess I'm just too excited about work.

If going home isn't my least favorite, the runner up would be losing in a game of foosball. Although I am contradicting myself a little, losing in anything sucks!

Be ecstatic, genuinely intrigued, open-minded, and don't let your curiosity die. Don't apply blindly to a company without knowing what their visions and goals are. If you value the company's true north and believe that you have what it takes to help the company achieve it, then don't hesitate to apply.

In addition, if there's multiple offers, don't chase the money but rather ponder about the phone and in-person interview(s) because finding a group of people that you are compatible and enjoy working with is pretty rare. Take the interview(s) as a two way street. If you find yourself extremely nervous but at the same time having a great time at the interview conversing and answering the interview questions, take it in good light. Money is money, but surrounding yourself with people who are encouraging and fun to be around will create a work culture that is worth more than what money will get you.

In general, overall, and with a cliché, follow your heart!

Interviewer takes out a piece of paper with a diagram on it. The interviewer slides it across the table to me and asks "how would you test this?"

Another would be a verbal story about a ball product that will break at a certain height and I needed to figure out how to test it under different scenarios.

Advice to Management

At the moment, I hear the building I'm in doesn't have an espresso coffee making machine. I guess those people would like one.

Awesome Experince

good to learn

No free food, Very less oppurtinities

please be patience and helpful

Insightful experience focused on practical application and development of skills.
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being a legitimate member of a corporate team. I was lucky enough to work with teams from multiple departments, and each time I was given the opportunity to contribute to each team as if I was a professional member and not just an intern.

I wish there was more creative outlets for business individuals in the company, but this is definitely a strategy that I would pursue upon being hired as a full-time employee.

Symantec has the best brand and resources of any firm in the security and technology business. There is not as much of a 'start-up' mentality present, but the sense of professionalism and purpose is unmatched. If you want to tackle technology challenges facing the 21st century with the experience of a multi-national corporation, Symantec is a great choice to begin your career.

Advice to Management

Help promote a sense of creativity and exploration on the business side as well as the engineering. This could be done through business development series and/or mock start-up ideas where all employees have a chance to participate, much in the style of the STAR hackathons.

Best Corporate Experience
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the culture in the office

N/A: I liked every aspect of it

Everyday is a new day and everyone is very approachable so take advantage of that regardless of what department you're working in.

Engineering Innovation Internship begins with innovation bootcamp, followed by prototype development, and concludes with pitch to top execs
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best parts for me were the collaborative work with other graduate students, working closely with product teams, and presenting a business pitch.

Commute from Berkeley to Mountain View was tough, and the project was at times ill-defined.

Symantec is a great company whose recent structural changes seem to be really working in the company's benefit. I see great things for this company as it moves to agile and expands sectors like mobile and IoT. The company culture (as I experienced it in Mobile) is relaxed and friendly.

Excellent!
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people to work with, fantastic culture, lots of fun projects, plenty of intern events

One of my coworkers was a little annoying...

Study for the interview!

Fun time, Great pay, you will never guess where
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

work-life balence, exciting work, cool project

spent a lot of time not having anything for me to do

I don't understand the question

Symantec believes in the work hard, play hard motto
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Intern events were planned really well to make sure all of the interns could get to know each other and make the best of their time with Symantec, and even after.

I wish I could've stayed longer!

Make the most of your intern events and make sure to get to know everyone. Great way to meet people cross functionally at the company.