Intern at SAS Software Internship Program? Submit a Review

Learning to work in a development system

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work in an encouraging, educational environment where the project I'm working on was producing results valuable to my coworkers

Not getting the chance to meet other interns in the same life stage as I (although this was partially my choice)

SAS is dedicated to producing well-formed content not just fast content. Be prepared to be constantly improving the quality of your work.

Shadow Procurement Analyst and File

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting an inside look at the company and seeing everything that they do. Meeting a lot of people that have already walked the path and could give me advice on what to do in the future was very helpful.

I wanted to have more work that was experience specifically for my field of study.

There was nothing that I came across that anyone should have to be prepared for.

Being paid to learn!

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I can take advantage of the education system here. I learned a lot new skills by taking on-site, live web, and online courses, which are all offered free! The manager also supports me to take working hours to learn these! I just keep learning new things everyday!

They are at a hiring freeze now and therefore the chance for a full-time position is not good.

You need to be very self-motivated. No one here would chase your tail to do your work. They would give your choices and let you pick what you want to do. Then it's pretty much based on your own style and pace. They would still give your help and guidance when needed.

What's the main challenge for your dissertation?
What does your R package do specifically?
Do you have any experience with Latex and SAS?

Awesome company, great teammates

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Company culture, team environment, great equipment and culture of trust

I couldn't work close to others.

Be nice, learn SAS and strive for excellence

Advice to Management

State more clearly the training opportunities for interns

N/A

Advice to Management

A comfortable yet challenging experience and opportunity to build highly valued technical skills

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning how to use all the software I was not yet used to.

Being slightly misguided and lost at the beginning due to the complicated nature of the testing I was doing.

Nothing really since I've interned here for three summers already.

Advice to Management

Nothing

What coding languages do you use the most? Tell me about yourself. What classes are you taking/have you taken? What source management tool are you familiar with?

Nurturing company culture meets meaningful work

Durham, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on a project tailored specifically to my interests
Ability to have my work directly displayed on our product
Having many other interns to interact with
Flexible work hours
Leader in data analytics
Spacious offices, free snacks, subsidized and high quality lunches

Relatively low compensation for software internship
Location in Cary doesn't have much for young people to do (tell more about intern housing beforehand)
Placing interns in shared/nearby offices or near younger full-time employees would be nice, less isolation

Very flexible work hours and rewards employees for meaningful work
Benefits-heavy: subsidized food, gym, rich programming and events
Close to CEO/executives and employees higher up are very accessible
Very holistic interview, doesn't put you on the spot unnecessarily (although this depends on the team and can change b/w teams)
'Open-door' policy where everyone can leave their door open, people are very approachable

Advice to Management

Increased compensation for interns/SWE departments
More information about continuing career trajectory at company past internship
Whether employment is easy to continue after returning from a previous job
Standardized training protocol courses for each department

Mostly non-technical, soft skills; I was lucky to get a team that gave a holistic interview that assessed my background in tech and interest in current project

I learned more than I could have expected, and experienced work at an extremely well run company.

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to lead my own project of big importance. I was given a lot of trust and room to work, and that allowed me to really develop leadership and entrepreneurial skills while also becoming a better software developer.

I wish the pay was slightly higher, even though it's good for the area it is lower than an internship in Austin, TX or Silicon Valley.

Be very clear about your interests and what you want to get out of an internship. They do a great job of finding the best place for you, but you need to be clear about your goals.

Advice to Management

I would increase the Intern pay, either across the board or create a more variable compensation system that's not base on grade level.

I was asked to explain projects I had done, my interest in Computer Science, times I've had to explain a complex topic to someone, etc.

Get paid to learn

Good work/life balance

The nepotism.

Be a good programmer.

Excellent internship, however, gaining permanent employment has yet to pan out due headcount being flat; no positions being added.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning opportunities, professional networking/interaction, was not treated like an "intern" and was looked at as a genuine part of the team

Trying to gain permanent employment. Due to the desire of management to keep headcount flat and not add to positions, it has been struggle to gain permanent employment which is still an ongoing fight. Because my managers have wanted to keep me on, my internship has been extended twice, yet they and myself are still having to fight to try and keep me as a permanent employee.

Overall, I feel this is a good organization to work for. I came into it with the mindset to prove to others I would be a valuable asset and I have done that. The issue is limited/flat headcount (positions). Just know that this is a privately held company and as such, managers and executives may not have as much authority to hire at will.