Intern at SAS Software Internship Program? Submit a Review

Time Flies During the Summer at SAS

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Subsidized meals, on-campus privileges such as the recreational fitness center

Two holidays that were unpaid (to be nit-picky)

Be curious - Oliver Schabenberger

Sparse bouts of meaningful work, punctuated by long periods of absolutely nothing

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got paid well and, for a while, was learning a lot.

I spend a lot of time asking managers for work and waiting for that work to actually come to me. I haven't done anything meaningful in months and it makes me feel useless.

SAS is a great place to learn and employs a lot of brilliant people. However, there is a chance you will be put on a team that undervalues your input and you will end up getting paid for nothing. However, networking with people on other teams is very easy at SAS, and that will help your future.

Advice to Management

SAS should provide more incentive to hiring managers and their teams to give their interns meaningful work and for mentors to provide more one-on-one training time with their interns. If someone is hired as an intern at SAS, then they are surely intelligent, and it is up to the organization to help that intern realize their full potential. Their potential is not realized by ignoring them.

I worked with great people and learned a lot in finance.

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were really friendly and helpful.

I was sometimes bored.

There are not a lot of young people that actually work in the company.

Advice to Management

They should have something to do if your manager doesn't give you any work and if they do have work to give you, it shouldn't be busy work.

A fun internship role!

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My co-workers, the benefit my projects had on the department, the food :)

I felt like my skills were really under utilized. The work was too easy, I wanted to learn more, do more.

SAS is a wonderful place. Everyone is like family, there are no questions that go unanswered, because everyone is willing to help!

Advice to Management

Challenge your interns that aren't in R&D!

Waiting on Code Reviews: The Movie

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours. Events from SAS leadership designed to promote engagement and show the big picture of what's going on at SAS. Friendly coworkers, and a mentor employee who has been extremely helpful.

Team lead was difficult to work with. Communicating with him would take a while, always seemed annoyed at my presence. Somehow both uninvolved and a micromanager, in that he criticizes literally everything I do, but those criticisms can take weeks to arrive. Not unusual to submit code for review, have that code approved by the other 3 team members, then a week later have the team lead comment 20+ fixes I need to make (not affecting functionality). Led to a great deal of time waiting around the office browsing Reddit, and by the end of the internship I was totally disengaged.

Know that even though the organization is great, it can be a gamble whether the people you're working with specifically are good to work with. Workflow processes are pretty rigid and organized, which can lead to downtime. Don't panic if you have nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Not give interns to teams where the team leads don't seem to want interns.

I only had one phone interview, so I don't remember what they asked.

9-5

Durham, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

people that work here

Not much flexibility

Try to go into a field you want to peruse a career in

Meaningful work, enjoyable culture.

Raleigh, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

SAS HQ has an amazing culture -- people are friendly, work hours are flexible, and a lot of freedom is given to interns here. A lot of the projects given to interns are interesting and meaningful in a real-world context. SAS makes a lot of useful resources to help interns find success and enjoy their work.

Experience with an internship at SAS varies greatly, depending on your manager, team, nature of the work, location, and pure luck. And like many companies, while there are a lot of very friendly people at SAS HQ, there are a few not-so-friendly people.

SAS is a large company and has departments that span a huge range of technology and business applications. Keep it in mind that there are most likely internship positions available in an area of your interest.

Advice to Management

Compensation seems like the most-voiced criticism between interns at SAS. Interns are not eligible for benefits like full-time employees, where the lower pay is justifiable. The Intern coordinators should look into compensating their interns at closer-to-market rates if they value their interns.

The best learning experience I have ever had

Raleigh, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Good Learning

- Helpful and smart folks around

- Balanced worklife and lot of fun stuffs to do

- Awesome Gym and canteen

- Pay could be little better

- No clear process of converting interns as fulltime

- Come with a learning mindset

- Do a lot of training possible

- Don't waste time by browsing facebook and twitter during workhours

Advice to Management

- Make a clear process of letting students know that if they can get full time.