Intern at SAS Software Internship Program? Submit a Review

Could Internships Get Any Better?: A fantastic opportunity to develop our careers as students

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support from mentors, freedom, making an impact, amenities, events, and so much more

Nothing at all

You have freedom to take charge of your experience--talk to your manager before starting for ideas on what projects to pursue!

An internship with (almost) all the perks of a full-time employee: SAS

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team I work with is incredible and the benefits offered to even interns, such as a gym and subsidized meals is incomparable to most organizations.

The only downside is that there isn't much of a guaranteed job offer.

SAS really is as great as everyone says. Everyone is here to help each other and I rarely come across someone in a bad mood. It's okay to ask a lot of questions.

Advice to Management

I would say more clarification about full time opportunities would be helpful.

Best Company Ever

The hours and the pay

Nothing to report

It's a great company

Learning about software development through experience

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My favorite part about my internship was that I worked in a small team so was able to experience all the steps that go into creating an application to satisfy a business need. I was able to see what it was like to work in software development and even though I am an intern my role in the team felt more like that of a full developer. The main difference was that if/when I needed any help, I had people and resources available to me.

The part that I liked least was that although our team is small, we have a lot of applications so while I was able to work with a handful, there are some that I did not get to because there was no business need during the time period of my internship.

The workplace environment and culture is phenomenal. Everyone makes new people feel welcome and are excited to have them on board. Also, people aren't afraid to challenge themselves here and learn new things. Because of this, people will encourage you to do the same so if you're faced with a task that is out of your skillset, don't be afraid to ask others for help.

Advice to Management

The compensation, hours, employee retention, promotion policies, and diversity at SAS have all completely exceeded my expectations. I can only hope that other companies look at the way things are done here and try to emulate it. My only suggestion for improvement would be to make the free class offerings more easy to find. I have found them to be great resources, as I plan to get SAS certified in the fall for free and one of my coworkers has started to learn web development for the first time.

Do you prefer to have more strict or flexible guidelines on your projects?
Why do you want to work here?

A great place to work with a lot of great people.

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were probably the best aspect of my internship. The people that I worked with on my team were incredibly welcoming and friendly. Throughout the entire internship we were always treated as peers not as interns. Everyone on our team welcomed us in with open arms and was always available to give us help if we needed it. Whether we were going to get lunch or just in a meeting, there was always a friendly environment that made you look forward to going to work.

The things I was working on were also really enjoyable. The projects my manager gave me were challenging enough to keep me busy but not too challenging to be super frustrating. I was working on meaningful projects that are actually being used by my team.

There were not many things I didn't like about my internship. There was really only one person that I didn't enjoy working with throughout my internship. This person was friendly and treated me with respect, but they sometimes seemed to talk down to me and they were unorganized which made it hard to work with them. With that said that was one person out of probably 40 that I worked with throughout my summer, and everyone else was great to work with.

Overall this is just a great place to work, and a great place to have an internship. At SAS they make you want to come to work every day. Whether it's the security guard waving to you as you drive through the gate, the people you work with every day, the intern events, or the work that I was doing day-to-day, everything I did at SAS made me really enjoy this summer and the experience I got while I was here.

Advice to Management

I am not a big fan of the fact that intern pay is based off of their year in college. While I understand the basic reasoning is that more college would mean more experience, I felt like I was contributing as much if not more than my older peers. Since I took many programming classes in high school and had an internship before this one, I felt like I had a lot of valuable experience. While I understand this might not often be the case, I felt like I deserved more than sophomore pay due to my experience. I proved this throughout the summer by blowing my bosses expectations out of the water, but still being paid like a sophomore. I think if the pay was based on the intern position instead of their year in college it would make more sense, because then it would really be based on who was more qualified and not peoples year in school.

I don't remember the questions I was asked.

Plenty of opportunities and a lot to learn

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having an opportunity to have your ideas be heard

honestly nothing comes to mind

Don't be afraid to talk to people and ask questions when you have them

Great experience!

1. people are very friendly
2. good opportunity to learn
3. networking
4. interesting projects

Advice to Management

It is already the best place to work.

The Best Place to Work

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns are treated as colleagues. There is no micromanaging. Interns are trusted to do the work they are assigned to and free to offer new ideas for projects as well.

There is limited parking in some areas of the campus.

You are truly encouraged to speak your mind and offer ideas to your colleagues and you definitely should.

Satisfying, meaningful work for student workers

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work / life balance is great
Working on real features and products that go into releases
the food is great!

There could have been more events with interns. It seemed like interns didn't really care to do anything together at times.

I thought they did a great job disclosing everything that was needed to know. Maybe the fact there is no 401k until full time hire. Other companies I interned with provided this.

Advice to Management

Provide some benefits like the 401k contributions. Other companies provide this to their interns and it gives them an advantage. Otherwise everything else was great!

I don't recall

Have an idea? SAS will listen.

Raleigh, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities for professional development, managers who listen to their direct reports, incredible on-campus amenities, subsidized (and excellent) healthy food, and an inviting, inspiring company culture

Compensation is fair, but probably slightly below average

Be prepared to contribute, and know basic office communication skills. Don't browse Facebook at work, sleep on the job, or be late. Interns who work hard will be successful, and are likely to receive job offers upon graduation.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be slightly improved. Communication seminars may be useful as a part of orientation.