Intern at athenahealth Internship? Submit a Review

Amazing experience to learn in an innovative environment

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredibly open environment

Presentations at the end of the summer did not suit my particular role

How interesting healthcare really is. It's an amazing place to make a difference in a field that needs innovators like athena.

Advice to Management

I think that currently the organization is in a transition period which can be a difficult time to enter a company.

N/A

athenahealth's internship program was fun-filed, challenging, and overall fantastic. The company made their interns feel needed :)

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

After the first weeks of onboarding, we, as interns were treated not too differently from full-time employees; this was a truly blessing, because it makes whatever we as interns work meaningful.

No cons that i can think of

If you want to know what it is really like to work as Developer in the workplace, athena is great.

Girl Spend 36 Hours a Week in InDesign; Loves It. (The people are really great too)

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture is amazing. The people are friendly and the management is involved. I could walk into my boss's boss's office right now. The dress is casual and there's always lots of fun things going on.

Nothing besides the fact that Boston makes driving a nightmare.

I think this is a really good opportunity, especially if you have networking skills (I do not)

Advice to Management

The only think I noticed is a lack of African American employees, but It's possible I was just unobservant or in the wrong division. I only remember seeing two African American Interns.

The usual stuff, what I like about school, what I want to do in the future, what I don't like about my current job, my hobbies. I live very far from the company, so I had my interview over webex.

Great

Austin, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everything

Nothing in particular.

Nothing in particular.

Great Internship

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great culture! Great project! Great learning!

Given lots of responsibility.

NA NA NA NA NA

Improving growth strategies for athena

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team was incredibly helpful and welcoming. I have learned more than I ever could have imagined and I was given work that required real responsibility and actually had an impact on the company. Additionally i loved getting to know the other interns through lunch and the various intern activities athena organizes. I also really enjoyed the speaker series the intern program has because it gave insight into other areas of the company and was extremely interesting.

Because it is such a large company it is difficult to get access to some of the information or materials you need for a certain project

It is an incredibly welcoming and vibrant company with so much going on, they should take advantage of everything and set up many coffee meetings with individuals across the company.

Advice to Management

Communication and clarity across different areas of the company

What made you interested in athena?
What is a time when you had to take responsibility
What made you interested in corporate development

Learning about and making an impact in the healthcare IT world from whichever angle interests you

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team encourages me to ask questions and they are all very responsive. They want to make sure the experience is one from which I will learn. When I asked for a certain type of tasks to build my own experience in a certain area, they diversified my tasks for that purpose. I also really enjoyed the speaker series and the ability to reach out to any full time employee to hear about their experience.

I didn't get to know interns outside of my department very well.

It's a great internship if you want to learn a lot about the healthcare and IT industries. There are lots of opportunities to learn from people across departments, but my advice would be to reach out early and don't be shy about getting connected. Everyone is welcoming and receptive to questions. Also, the roles and organization change often. The company retains a startup feel so you might be serving more purposes than the role initially described.

Advice to Management

I would have liked to follow reorganizations as they happened throughout the semester before I started the internship. It would have helped me better prepare for the role despite it having changed.

case about hospital billing/collection rates

Fast paced environment, with an amazing culture and team

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

It's fast paced, and a lot of work. The culture and people in every department are all very fun, smart, and great at their jobs. They are all tremendous resources, and are happy to help you in any way, shape, or form.

When it's slow, it gets really slow and boring, when it gets busy, it gets very busy. There's not a lot of consistency but that keeps you on your toes.

It's very email heavy and Excel heavy. You need to know how to navigate Excel, and navigate it well to do well in this job. A background knowledge of healthcare is a huge plus. I wish I had researched and read up on the basics of healthcare before I started my position here.

Advice to Management

None, management does a great job here.

Do you consider yourself a leader?
Give me an example of when you had a bad group member? What did you do?
Tell me about yourself
Why did you choose ______ university?
Why athenahealth?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 20 years?

athenahealth: a place that fostered my personal and professional growth

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the culture and the learning environment

the commute! Greater Boston area rush hour is tough!

The role you play here is vital and each individual is an important piece of the athenahealth puzzle. The employees strive to include you in the most engaging, encouraging manner and you are truly a member of the team.

Advice to Management

The healthcare jargon--and the athena-specific acronyms--are hard to pick up at first and often leave you feeling lost and confused: try to be more specific and explanatory in the early meetings and encourage interns to ask questions if they are confused (they do this already but targeting the jargon in specific).

Fabulous work environment and realistic work tasks

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people at athenahealth are really willing to get to know the interns and share more with them about their roles within the company. My team always invited me to campus events and everyone was very invested in helping me learn.

I would have liked more organized opportunities to spend time with other interns outside of work.

Things are always changing at athena! During my internship we moved from one pod to another and many events were changed, moved, or cancelled! You always need to be prepared for change.