Vanguard College to Corporate Internship Program

Best way to spend a summer.
Charlotte, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Flexibility as far as working hours were concerned

- Working on impactful/important projects and not busy work

- Networking with principals and the CEO

I lived far away (my family's place) and got stuck in traffic every day.

Most of the people here have been working at Vanguard for 10+ years. It is exciting to see the retention rate at this company. People are also extremely friendly and personable.

Experiences prepare you for a full-time function and you are in charge of your professional development.
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities to network and develop, full-time employment prospects with a quick notification turn-around time and compensation.

The length of the program was fairly short. I realize internships during the summer need to be cognizant of different college schedules but I wish I had had a few extra weeks to utilize.

As far as evaluating this organization over another, I would say if you would like to work for a prestigious investment company while having the flexibility to develop and shape your own career, that this is the company for you!

Excellent experience with value added project work in an incredible culture

-Internship class teambuilding

-Project work

-Training and mentoring

-Company culture

I would have liked my internship to be more than 10 weeks.

Our company is focused on doing the right and most ethical thing at all times especially for our clients.

Vanguard: Interviewing us, Interviewing them
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Trainings, exposure, real work, true insight into the company

Too short of an internship, would have liked more interaction between IT and Business interns (if possible)

Vanguard is a stable, well-rounded company. There is definitely a place to find many things that are interesting and to stay for your career. The people are great and the culture is truly safe yet exciting. Your team becomes your family and is there to support you in everything you do, professional and personally (if you so chose).

Advice to Management

Sometimes it's difficult to gain a promotion, even if deserving. Even so, if you're meant to get one you will in due time. Compensation seems a little low but with all things added in it remains competetive.

I'm not a coffee-getting, paper-copying, just-a-numbered intern
Charlotte, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team really showed interest in my personal and career development. It

It seemed very short. It would be great to have more exposure and hands-on experience working with the business side of Vanguard.

Vanguard is a conservative company and working in IT in a Financial Company is quite different than working in a software company. It is also a long-term company. Many people make this a career not a job.

Advice to Management

A fantastic opportunity to learn about the finance from the industry leader
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were the opportunity to work closely with a Vanguard leader, contribute and manage projects that have a real and lasting impact on the business, learn about Vanguard and the industry, explore different roles at the company, and meet and network with Vanguard senior leadership.

One aspect of this program that was difficult for me was the location of my office. Vanguard has a main campus in Malvern with a number of buildings surrounding the main campus in the local area. While many of my peers were located on main campus, my office was ~15min drive from main campus which required me travel to campus for meetings and overviews.

Vanguard has an incredibly strong culture of doing the right thing for our clients. The company prides itself on its sterling reputation and as a result has experienced tremendous growth over the past 30 years. The College to Corporate internship program is an opportunity for individuals interested in gaining experience in the financial services industry to get hands on experience with an industry leader. In addition, the internship program is a talent pipeline for Vanguard's full time accelerated development programs.

Advice to Management

One way to improve the organization would be to embrace a global perspective for talent development. Vanguard has international offices and it would increase the appeal of the organization if there were more opportunities to work for the company abroad.

Go from a college student to a professional ready to take on any role in a fast paced, large company.
Scottsdale, AZ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the department and the caliber of the professionals that I was working with. I also felt that the leadership team was completely behind my success and that I was supported each day. I also enjoyed leading a project team focused on a business solution to a problem that one area was having.

There was not an opportunity for much overtime.

This is a great place to start and grow a career, and Vanguard will welcome you into its culture. You will learn a lot about yourself and what you are looking for in a job upon graduation.

Advice to Management

As a whole, Vanguard could always put a bit more focus on its employees than it does currently. We are so focused on serving the client (which is one of the reasons that I love it here) that sometimes we don't pay the same amount of support to the employees.

Opportunity to learn about the organization and develop a good network
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking with leaders in the organization as well as my peers in the internship, opportunities to learn about different divisions within the organization and being able to see firsthand what the culture was like.

There really wasn't anything I disliked about the internship. The only negative was I had to pay for housing for the summer to work there since my family was not local but Vanguard has since started paying for housing for summer intern.s

Vanguard has a great culture with an emphasis on employee engagement. Vanguard wants to ensure that employees feel like they have great work-life balance and have a positive experience at work. Vanguard is a highly ethical company and stands by doing what is right. Vanguard has a such a diversity of departments that there are many opportunities to find the right fit. In fact, Vanguard encourages employees to rotate through different departments and gain a better understanding of the big picture.

Creating content and managing social media channels, while focusing on leadership development.
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

my managers, my flexibility, and the opportunities to network all over the company

The field of work. I am more interested in investment management than marketing.

This is a fabulous place to start a career, especially if you have little professional experience. You will work with some amazing people and learn a ton.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)