UBS Summer Internship Program (Various Businesses)

Intern at UBS Summer Internship Program (Various Businesses)? Log in to Submit a Review

A summer of working and learning in a friendly environment.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My supervisors are truly helpful as they still mentor me after the internship was ended.

There could be more classroom training.

Interns are encouraged to reach out to colleagues from different functions and ranks.

An intense 10 weeks that shows you what it's like to be an investment banker, but also what it's like to be a New Yorker.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with made me feel welcome from the very beginning and the folks at HR organize events to keep you engaged and educated. The summer experience is intense, but we had a great social balance. Our class participated in a breakfast series with senior bankers, spent a day volunteering at a park in Harlem, saw a Yankees game from a box suite, had several cocktail events to get to know each other, and played softball in Central Park.

It was a tough time to be on Wall Street because of the seasonal downturn and layoffs.

UBS is at the industry frontier of making organizational changes in anticipation of Basel Tier 1 capital requirements and Wall Street reform. We will see in the next two to three years whether UBS reacted to regulatory changes in a prescient manner.

Work hard.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with very smart and motivated people.

Long hours and little sleep.

Be passionate about the job and understand that being an analyst is a short term gig.

Enjoy a summer in the financial industry, work hard, learn a great-deal, and network with the industry's leading professionals!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Some of the best aspects to my internship this summer was being apart of a team. I did not feel like an intern, I felt as though I was an equal member of the team. In addition, I loved the fact senior management was very transparent and they were always open to giving all interns advice. Finally, my mentors were my greatest resource while I was an intern this past summer, they were always ready to lend a helping hand.

Lack of diversity amongst the candidates.

Based on my experience this summer I would say to the candidate that he/she should research the company and make sure it is a right fit. If you would like to start a career in finance UBS is definitely one of the best places to begin your journey. As a candidate you must be open to change, have a willingness to work-hard, and have fun during the process. You will definitely have the opportunity to learn a great deal about the finance, have amazing mentors, and work amongst some of brightest professionals in the industry.

Mentally & Physically Challenging Learning Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Positives include working alongside gifted colleagues (analysts and other associates) as well as earning a high level of responsibility, skill and knowledge base development, and compensation

Highly intense work environment that can be stressful from time-to-time. Heavy and unpredictable workflow has significant consequences on social life. Intensity can lead to physical strain.

UBS has made positive leadership and organizational changes that will result in a smarter and leaner investment banking operation. These changes also provide opportunities for growth for an incoming analyst or associate.

Advice to Management

Because of recent organizational changes and turnover, the firm needs to clearly define its culture. Each group within IBD has a different culture, which should be vetted by a candidate before joining. Compensation is on par with other bulge bracket institutions. Top rated employees are rewarded and bottom rated employees walk.

UBS Summer Internship: Great Experience!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working with the group that I was placed with over the summer. The Advanced Planning Group was supportive, helpful, and very open. I thought Emily and Lauren ran a great internship program and I always felt that I had a ton of available resources and opportunities to network throughout the firm.

I thought the content itself was a little boring, and I probably would not want to pursue a career in financial planning

I would advise potential interns to always recognize, and realize, that they are being evaluated during the course of the internship. UBS is a great firm, with great people, and if you don't take everything seriously, you wont be accepted into the GTP.

Advice to Management

I do not have any real advice I could give to management; I thoroughly enjoyed the UBS summer internship program. If I had to suggest something it might be to spend a little more time evaluating the interns located in New York.

An exceptional opportunity for learning and career advancement with one of the strongest banks in the world
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

*Exceptional level of access to senior managers and executives, all the way up to division and desk heads.
*Most employees, even very senior ones, seem to care greatly about the experience of interns and there appears to be a collective firm interest in intern success.
*A very strong mentorship culture, with every intern being assigned multiple mentors and meeting with those mentors on a weekly or biweekly basis.
*An outstanding training and event schedule for interns, including a remarkable speaker series (literally some of the most distinguished individuals in American finance), and weekly training on topics ranging from networking to financial derivatives.
*Exposure to a variety of desks and products due to the rotational nature of the program.
*Strong opportunities for international exposure due to the firm's unparalleled global footprint.
*Pays very well for a summer analyst program.

*Hours can vary from desk to desk and can be long at times, particularly towards the end of rotations.

*Be sure to go to all possible recruiting events and gain as much exposure to the firm as possible.
*The interview process can be lengthy, but it offers great exposure to relatively senior members of the firm.
*The internship definitely demands long hours and hard work, but offers huge returns (great networking with senior employees, exposure to diverse products and desks, and a good chance for a full-time offer).

The Best Possible Place to Spend your Internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was amazing, the way the interns were treated was outstanding. I was given actual work that a normal full time employee would be given. The HR staff had outstanding events and were an amazing resources for the interns.

Original Desk Placement, but I was moved very quickly

Even if you think that your major is not relevant, you will have such a great experience at UBS. I went in with very little knowledge of the environment and I was able to pick up on anything that I needed to know.

Advice to Management

Look into who gets interns.

valuable learning experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

work colleagues, amount of things I learnt

parking a long way from office!

hard work, try and talk to as many people as possible

Engaging, relevant work with great colleagues.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quality of assignments was high, no menial busy work. Great corporate culture. Everyone is very nice and wants you to succeed. Excellent formal training and mentorship.

Challenging time for industry and company. Status of full time offers was uncertain, leading to anxiety,

By the end of the summer you will have learned a great deal about what it's like to be a full time investment banker and to make an informed decision about this career path.

Advice to Management

Status of full time offers could have been communicated more effectively. This would have alleviated a lot of the anxiety the final few weeks of the internship.