UBS Summer Internship Program (Various Businesses)

Outstanding internship and a great learning opportunity
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Best and Brightest series which was meeting various hedge fund managers including Howard Marks, Julian Robertson and Bill Ackman. Great access to upper management and mentors. Sales calls prepared you well and gave you a great learning opportunity. Derivatives and mock trading class were great as was the HR team.

There is not a big fixed income platform at UBS - if you are interested in credit, MBS or products of that nature it is probably not the bank for you. If you are interested in equities or FX there are not many better banks with such a large global footprint.

Quick efficient interview process at a growing bank - in less than a week I was contacted by HR, had two phone interviews then a superday and received the offer that night. UBS has gone through Basel III requirements, and has made their cuts. It is a good time to start at a bank that has people who want you to succeed and will teach you.

Advice to Management

None

Great experience and exposure to 3-5 desks within Equities, Prime Brokerage, and Fixed Income
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The exposure to 3-5 desks, and the opportunity to have face time with management and PM's from different firms during the Best and Brightest series.

On occasion it was very awkward to ask current employees to sit with and observe them, especially if they had little involvement with the internship program.

UBS offers an incredible opportunity to interns, and is willing to spend the time and energy to teach the interns.

Great learning experience and work environment. Excellent place to start a career in finance.
Houston, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the deal-flow, and the work-life balance.

Uncertainty of schedule

Work hard and have a good attitude.

Incredible opportunity for driven and motivated individuals
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent opportunities for growth and learning

Overall great experience

Work hard and maintain a positive attitude.

Great learning experience in a personal environment
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Best & Brightest Speaker Series - We met some of the greatest investors of all time and had the chance to speak to them in a private setting

Trading - We gained trading experience through online stock and fx trading games as well as mock trading classes

Sales - We had to do weekly sales calls which prepared you well for a possible sales role

The commute to Stamford, which will no longer be the case as all of UBS is moving back to NYC

Think about whether or not you want to work in a truly international firm

Incredible opportunity to work and learn from a great group of people
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were great. I really felt part of the team and loved the overall office culture of the group. The work was stimulating and I was very interested in learning more about the industry that we covered.

Unfortunately, sometimes the long required hours got in the way of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I enjoy working out and staying in shape. However, some of the long work days were not particularly conducive towards maintaining this.

UBS provided me with an amazing opportunity to learn and work with some of the best people around. I was surrounded by intelligent and motivated people. This kind of environment really pushed me to do the best that I could do and then some. I really enjoyed my time at UBS

Advice to Management

I would suggest possibly looking into providing some sort of way for employees to be able workout or maintain a healthy lifestyle. By providing a fitness center at the office, employees with some down time can be able to vent off stress at the gym while also being able to live healthier lives.

Intellectually stimulation with many interesting people.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with.

The hours I worked.

Talk to people within the industry before you take the offer, to get a feel for what is to come.

Hardest yet most rewarding summer of my life
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount I learned, the nature of the work, the pace, the people I worked with

Hours, but I knew what I was signing up for

UBS really is a great place to work. I met amazing people, the organization really is flatter than most banks and working to rebuild its culture and reputation

Advice to Management

Employee retention which the firm is working on. Diversity, there were very few women events and the network was not as strong as I would have liked

Good learning opportunity
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship program; Opportunities to meet with firm's senior leadership

Low morale from full time employees

Future prospects; Morale

An exceptional opportunity for learning and career advancement with one of the strongest banks in the world
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

*Exceptional level of access to senior managers and executives, all the way up to division and desk heads.
*Most employees, even very senior ones, seem to care greatly about the experience of interns and there appears to be a collective firm interest in intern success.
*A very strong mentorship culture, with every intern being assigned multiple mentors and meeting with those mentors on a weekly or biweekly basis.
*An outstanding training and event schedule for interns, including a remarkable speaker series (literally some of the most distinguished individuals in American finance), and weekly training on topics ranging from networking to financial derivatives.
*Exposure to a variety of desks and products due to the rotational nature of the program.
*Strong opportunities for international exposure due to the firm's unparalleled global footprint.
*Pays very well for a summer analyst program.

*Hours can vary from desk to desk and can be long at times, particularly towards the end of rotations.

*Be sure to go to all possible recruiting events and gain as much exposure to the firm as possible.
*The interview process can be lengthy, but it offers great exposure to relatively senior members of the firm.
*The internship definitely demands long hours and hard work, but offers huge returns (great networking with senior employees, exposure to diverse products and desks, and a good chance for a full-time offer).