PNC Pathways Summer Internship Program

Unlimited Professional and Personal Growth Through PNC Pathways

PNC has an incredible company culture where everyone is welcoming and willing to help train you for your position. They do a phenomenal job of giving you exposure to various aspects of each department, connecting you with the right people and allowing you to really find your niche within that one area. In addition, the projects you are assigned are well thought out, and you will find yourself learning new skills every day.

Some days are slower than others in terms of work. I like to be as productive as possible!

PNC invests so much into each intern, and they personalize and tailor your internship experience to your interests and strengths while allowing exploration of other areas as well. From day one, you will receive meaningful work that contributes to the business outcomes of the bank!

Date: 2013

More than just a place to deposit your money, PNC offers opportunities in invesment banking, wealth management, and sales and trading.

PNC has the benefits of operating like a boutique day to day and as a bulge bracket bank in terms of its role within the financial industry.

I think the recruiting process is somewhat flawed in that they interview for very different positions together. (retail banking and investment banking for example)

Don't follow the crowd. Chasing the same banks/positions as everyone else just because everyone else is chasing those positions keeps you from exploring which opportunities are best fit for you which sets you back in the long run.

Date: 2013

The PNC Internal Audit Internship was an excellent opporunity to get hands-on experience in the Audit field

Feeling like a part of the team, not just getting coffee or faxing documents. I performed many of the same tasks that the full-time employees performed, which made me feel like I as actually contributing.

Sometimes the work is tedious, but that is the nature of the beast which is audit.

PNC has a great company culture, consisting of employees who really care about what they do, and inspire you to care as well.

Date: 2013

Became a valuable asset to a large corporation while creating the foundation of my initial business experience

Wealth of knowledge and networking opportunities

I liked everything about the internship

The more you put into the internship the more you will get out of it. There are ways to stay under the radar, so don't become complacent and bring 110% everyday.

Advice to Management

nothing

Real world experience

The best aspect of my intenship was the people I worked with. They taught me many things and allowed me to gain exposure to real life experiences.

I did not get a chance to shadow more people. I wanted to familiarize myself with the different roles in the bank and did not get the chance to. This was good because I was too busy to do so, and bad because I wanted to.

Do your research on the company. Learn about the line of business you are going to be interniing in. Determine whether the company is conservative, or non-conservative. Try your best to determine if the company value align with yours.

Advice to Management

Diversity: Not enough women or minority in upper management.

Well-Rounded Experience in the Many Facets of Technology

My internship had many great aspects, the best being position experience and team involvement. As an intern on my team, I was able to experience several different roles (Project Manager, Business Systems Analyst, Quality Analyst). Several different people acted as my managers and gave me insight into their projects and positions within the team. Being on the team in general was also a great experience. The team involved me in weekly meetings, included me in discussions, expected my participation, and even included me on a team outing where we spent a day at a local museum.

Sometimes there wasn't work to do. There may be lags in projects or people may be overloaded with work. This depends on your team and was a minor issue.

Let your managers know you can take on more work. If you don't ask, they won't give you more. I have rarely heard of an intern having too much work because the managers do not want to overload you. Do not rush you work, keep good quality, ask for more when you're done if you are not handed another assignment.

Advice to Management

None

Date: 2013

Intern gains invaluable experience in the workplace he would not have recieved in shcool.

The best aspects of the internship was actually being able to do something that will be used. Not jus busy documentation and writing. I was about to actually get into coding and I did it well.

I liked everything about the ienternship.

The first week of your internship is crutial for showing to your peers and managers that you can take on more tasks. For me, I wasn't given any coding projects but I asked about how to get involved with the projects and once they saw that I was a very good coder, they gave me even more tasks to complete.

Insight into Banking

Everyone was extrememly helpful and easy to work with. They made the interns feel welcomed and appreciated.

I did not like having to pay for my commute, but the stipend helped the expense.

Do a lot of research on every area within PNC and find what interests you the most.

Date: 2013

A great way to expand your knowledge and gain insight into different areas of the financial service industry.

I appreciated that I got exposed to many different areas of the bank and I was given ownership of the projects I completed. I was never bored and felt that my work had worth and benefit for my manager and team. I was trusted with important projects and brought along to client calls.

There isn't anything I didn't like about the internship.

Make sure that you network and utilize the resources around you. Now is the best time to ask any questions and put yourself out there. I have learned that it is important to have a manager or mentor who is involved in your development and success as your experience is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

N/A

Working for a Bank is More Than Just Counting Money

The people! Everyone that I worked with was so friendly and helpful. They all were more than happy to answer my questions about anything. I also was given really awesome projects - and nothing was just busy work. Everything that I did was important and crucial to the department that I worked in, and to know that I was trusted with all of that responsibility was not only exciting but also gave me the chance to prove myself.

All of the interns on my team were in the same building except for me. It honestly wasn't really even that big of a deal because there's a shuttle that I would take over to their building for team meetings.

PNC is huge on networking. If you do not reach out to different people in your department, or even outside of your department for that matter, you are doing it wrong. I asked to meet with so many people just to talk to them about what their role in the company is and to tell them a little bit about what I was doing throughout my internship, and everyone was more than willing to meet with me!