Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

College Financial Representative Review

Troy, MI | June 2015 | FORMER INTERN

You learn a lot in training, and it is not only a great resume builder, but a great opportunity to learn a lot about financial products.

It's a lot more sales than made out to be, very much like selling insurance as that is their bread and butter

Comments

It is a great experience, but you really have to be prepared to be in a sales mode far more so than an analytical mode.

It's What You Make of It

Chicago | May 2015 | FORMER INTERN

A lot of training and industry specific information. Resume builder. Sale and sector specific experience and skills development.

You are thrown head first into selling financial instruments you don't yet understand to your friends and family. The expectations for leads and meetings outpaces improved training, so it truly is a blind sales gig for a rough stretch.

Comments

If you're going to do it, you need to be sure that selling to people you know is something you are capable of. It starts out really tough and if you're not prepared for that you will burn out before you establish a base.

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

The greatest opportunity of my life.

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to build my own buisness. I even hired my first employee while I was a senior in college. I also got to work face to face with clients and really help them.

You are starting a business and if you treat it as such it can take a lot of time.

Be open and willing to really give this a shot and put in the work to find out if this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

A little more training on specific contracts and products could not hurt.

You can create your future

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to be my own boss and control my schedule in addition to the amazing training

To be honest there really isn't any aspect of the internship I don't like. While there were aspects I liked better, there aren't any aspects I didn't enjoy

This opportunity is a fast paced and self motivated opportunity. This career is not going to be handed to you. It is hard work, but the hard work is worth it.

The process didn't feel like an interview, it felt like a conversation. The questions asked were more about what my dream job would be and what my goals are.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything specifically to improve.

Maximize Your Ability To Succeed

Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was incredible as well the leadership that I attained. It opened my mind to a different style of thinking.

Commission, but the stipend helped.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to work hard, this is the perfect experience.

Name a time that you have faced adversity?

Advice to Management

More incentives and competitions to make us work a bit harder.

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.

Great Opportunity

Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

No maximum earning potential, flexibility in schedule, real life learning experience.

There were no negatives about this internship.

Bestcompany in the financial services industry.

Got to have the menatlity to do whatever it takes to succeed.

Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that you get to make your own schedule, training and development are top notch, and you really get the opportunity to see how life really works.

The fact that I had to call people everyday and try to set them up for meetings.

Do the work and make sure this is what you really want to do.

You're Options are Endless

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.