Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | Former Intern

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

Got to have the menatlity to do whatever it takes to succeed.

Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that you get to make your own schedule, training and development are top notch, and you really get the opportunity to see how life really works.

The fact that I had to call people everyday and try to set them up for meetings.

Do the work and make sure this is what you really want to do.

You're Options are Endless

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.

Real Life, hands on internship!

Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

Maximize Your Ability To Succeed

Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was incredible as well the leadership that I attained. It opened my mind to a different style of thinking.

Commission, but the stipend helped.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to work hard, this is the perfect experience.

Name a time that you have faced adversity?

Advice to Management

More incentives and competitions to make us work a bit harder.

Great Opportunity

Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

No maximum earning potential, flexibility in schedule, real life learning experience.

There were no negatives about this internship.

Bestcompany in the financial services industry.

You can create your future

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to be my own boss and control my schedule in addition to the amazing training

To be honest there really isn't any aspect of the internship I don't like. While there were aspects I liked better, there aren't any aspects I didn't enjoy

This opportunity is a fast paced and self motivated opportunity. This career is not going to be handed to you. It is hard work, but the hard work is worth it.

The process didn't feel like an interview, it felt like a conversation. The questions asked were more about what my dream job would be and what my goals are.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything specifically to improve.

If you want safety, go else where, but remember nothing ever grows in a place of comfort.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay can be great. Ability to network. control of schedule.

Not being understood by people not in the field or who have no prior knowledge of it.

Take this opportunity seriously, you will be playing with live ammo.

The greatest opportunity of my life.

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to build my own buisness. I even hired my first employee while I was a senior in college. I also got to work face to face with clients and really help them.

You are starting a business and if you treat it as such it can take a lot of time.

Be open and willing to really give this a shot and put in the work to find out if this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

A little more training on specific contracts and products could not hurt.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.