Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

Real Life, hands on internship!

Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

Financial Freedom is Glorious

Madison, WI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom to fail.

Lack of structure in remote offices.

Network yourself so deep in groups of people, it doesn't matter what job you want or need; the network will help you find your groove.

Advice to Management

Slush fund for new interns to get out and market themselves would be helpful.

The opportunity of a lifetime

Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, resources, learning, communication skills, workplace culture, fun

Inconsistent pay and down time. When you are struggling with finding clients or keeping a full schedule. You always have your tram to pick you up and help you rough tough times.

Know what you are getting into and if it is the right type of opportunity for yourself. Ask questions.

What is an example of failure that you have experienced in your life and how did you overcome it?

Advice to Management

No Comment

Real life experience

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients, learning what the actual career is like

A lot of training

If you want to own your own business and have face-to-face interaction with clients, also the coaching is great!

Do you want to be rewarded for your efforts/performance

Advice to Management

More activity on the campus

Test drive a career and begin my practice with a running start.

Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience, personal growth, connections made, and education.

Studying for the state licensing exams. No fun!

Give it a try. If you're interested in investments, insurance, sales, or financial planning, it's a great way to test drive a career.

Why do you want to work in an organization? What do you see as your upward mobility in your career path?

Advice to Management

Nothing

Got to have the menatlity to do whatever it takes to succeed.

Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that you get to make your own schedule, training and development are top notch, and you really get the opportunity to see how life really works.

The fact that I had to call people everyday and try to set them up for meetings.

Do the work and make sure this is what you really want to do.

You're Options are Endless

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.