Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

The oppertunity of a LIFE TIME
Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to test drive a career

Being self empoyed and having to learn to organized my own day. Not having someone telling me when it was due.

Test drive the career and get to know the carecter of the organization and find out if it will be a fit for you.

Real Life, hands on internship!
Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

A Life Changing Experience
Iowa City, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are in control of everything. What you learn, how you do, and the amount of money you make is alomst completely up to you.

It can be stressful.

If you are a goal-oriented person with good interpersonal skills this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that could change your whole perspective on life.

Describe yourself in three words. What are three words your best friends would use to describe you?

Advice to Management

I think that my office has mastered all of these things. There are other offices around the country that need to address the training and retention though.

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

Excitingly eye opening experience into the financial services industry
Providence, RI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

I can't say that their was anything I disliked.

you own your own business

If you want safety, go else where, but remember nothing ever grows in a place of comfort.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay can be great. Ability to network. control of schedule.

Not being understood by people not in the field or who have no prior knowledge of it.

Take this opportunity seriously, you will be playing with live ammo.

You will grow tremendously personally, professionally, and financially this summer - all while helping people you care about
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

making phone calls (but who likes that? :))

If you want to have REAL experience then do this. If you want to have a mindless "job" over the summer do not try it - you will be challenged and will regret this.

Real life experience
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients, learning what the actual career is like

A lot of training

If you want to own your own business and have face-to-face interaction with clients, also the coaching is great!

Do you want to be rewarded for your efforts/performance

Advice to Management

More activity on the campus

You can create your future
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to be my own boss and control my schedule in addition to the amazing training

To be honest there really isn't any aspect of the internship I don't like. While there were aspects I liked better, there aren't any aspects I didn't enjoy

This opportunity is a fast paced and self motivated opportunity. This career is not going to be handed to you. It is hard work, but the hard work is worth it.

The process didn't feel like an interview, it felt like a conversation. The questions asked were more about what my dream job would be and what my goals are.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything specifically to improve.