Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

College Financial Representative Review

Troy, MI | June 2015 | FORMER INTERN

You learn a lot in training, and it is not only a great resume builder, but a great opportunity to learn a lot about financial products.

It's a lot more sales than made out to be, very much like selling insurance as that is their bread and butter

Comments

It is a great experience, but you really have to be prepared to be in a sales mode far more so than an analytical mode.

It's What You Make of It

Chicago | May 2015 | FORMER INTERN

A lot of training and industry specific information. Resume builder. Sale and sector specific experience and skills development.

You are thrown head first into selling financial instruments you don't yet understand to your friends and family. The expectations for leads and meetings outpaces improved training, so it truly is a blind sales gig for a rough stretch.

Comments

If you're going to do it, you need to be sure that selling to people you know is something you are capable of. It starts out really tough and if you're not prepared for that you will burn out before you establish a base.

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

If you want safety, go else where, but remember nothing ever grows in a place of comfort.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay can be great. Ability to network. control of schedule.

Not being understood by people not in the field or who have no prior knowledge of it.

Take this opportunity seriously, you will be playing with live ammo.

The Road to Achievement

Memphis, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship is the actual experience itself. Interns are able to work as a full time rep as a part time student. I outperformed the majority of my office as a student. Northwestern Mutual also has various contest for its interns such as Winter Camp for the top producing interns during the fall semester. I ranked #9 for the contest and was chosen to speak at the contest camp held at the home office!

There is nothing I would dislike about Northwestern Mutual's Internship!

The opportunity to build your business as a college intern and graduate with a full financial practice is a strong opportunity. You are able to help people achieve financial goals while making good money in the mean time.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

Got me where I am

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship was the reason I got into this business. I am forever grateful for the opporutnity and feel so luck for having been in this program.

I don't have a bad thing to say.

Go into it with and open mind and DO what your supervisors suggest. Worst case scenario you will learn a great number of skills you can do with your next endavour. If you half ass it you will be dissappointed with the experience.

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

Great Opportunity

Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

No maximum earning potential, flexibility in schedule, real life learning experience.

There were no negatives about this internship.

Bestcompany in the financial services industry.