Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

College Financial Representative Review

Troy, MI | June 2015 | FORMER INTERN

You learn a lot in training, and it is not only a great resume builder, but a great opportunity to learn a lot about financial products.

It's a lot more sales than made out to be, very much like selling insurance as that is their bread and butter

Comments

It is a great experience, but you really have to be prepared to be in a sales mode far more so than an analytical mode.

It's What You Make of It

Chicago | May 2015 | FORMER INTERN

A lot of training and industry specific information. Resume builder. Sale and sector specific experience and skills development.

You are thrown head first into selling financial instruments you don't yet understand to your friends and family. The expectations for leads and meetings outpaces improved training, so it truly is a blind sales gig for a rough stretch.

Comments

If you're going to do it, you need to be sure that selling to people you know is something you are capable of. It starts out really tough and if you're not prepared for that you will burn out before you establish a base.

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

Real life experience

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients, learning what the actual career is like

A lot of training

If you want to own your own business and have face-to-face interaction with clients, also the coaching is great!

Do you want to be rewarded for your efforts/performance

Advice to Management

More activity on the campus

The oppertunity of a LIFE TIME

Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to test drive a career

Being self empoyed and having to learn to organized my own day. Not having someone telling me when it was due.

Test drive the career and get to know the carecter of the organization and find out if it will be a fit for you.

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

Growth: professionally, but more importantly personally

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Starting your career before you graduate.

The internship is not easy. It can be difficult for others to take you serious in regards to their finances when they aren't sure if you will be here in 3 months.

If you are willing to work hard an create your own future and be 100% in control of your life there is no better place to be.

My interview process was based around my goals and dreams and Northwestern trying to make sure this was a good fit for me.

-what was a difficult event in your life and how did you overcome it.

Advice to Management

Based on industry averages our retention as a firm almost quadruples the chance of success if you come from our internship. We need to and are continuing to work on diversity within our firm.

Real Life, hands on internship!

Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

A Life Changing Experience

Iowa City, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are in control of everything. What you learn, how you do, and the amount of money you make is alomst completely up to you.

It can be stressful.

If you are a goal-oriented person with good interpersonal skills this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that could change your whole perspective on life.

Describe yourself in three words. What are three words your best friends would use to describe you?

Advice to Management

I think that my office has mastered all of these things. There are other offices around the country that need to address the training and retention though.