Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Northwestern Mutual College intern

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Mentors
Great work environment
No cap on the amount of success you can have
Great personal/ business growth

Very little guaranteed income
A lot of prep to get done before you can start the internship

Comments

It is a great environment to grow and push yourself to step outside of your comfort zone. The best thing about the internship is the amount of growth you see in yourself. It is personal and professional growth. You also have access to so many resources to help you be successful. You are rewarded for ALL of your effort and there is no cap on the amount of success you can have!

Incredible Experience

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Great experience for anyone that is looking for a real life internship. This is not some internship that has you do everyone's dirty work and run errand. In this position, you are actually beginning your own business. This job is not for everyone though. You should be open to being uncomfortable and putting yourself out there. There is unlimited to potential to move up in the company through this internship and convert to full-time. The people here are incredible and I will take this experience with me forever. Not to mention that this is a top 10 internship nationally and it will look great on any resume. Not to mention the compensation is also limitless depending on how hard you work.

This is not a career path for everyone. You should be more on the extroverted side and open to being uncomfortable at times.

Comments

Make sure that you have people to reach out to for financial planning purposes. Anyone is a good candidate, just make sure you are more extroverted than introverted.

BEWARE OF THIS INTERNSHIP

San Francisco | July 2016 | FORMER INTERN

Zero uppers with this internship. Avoid at all costs! You will regret accepting this internship.

THESE PEOPLE ARE USING INTERNS TO SELL INSURANCE. YOU ARE FORCED TO SELL INSURANCE TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

The first thing asked of me, before I was even accepted, was to make a list of family members and friends I think I could sell insurance to. Days include sitting at a desk and cold calling people trying to sell them insurance. NM should be ashamed of themselves for using people and their families like this.

Comments

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME

I did... I'm trying to help people out there trying to get an internship.

Setting the Story Straight on the Northwestern Mutual Internship **PLEASE READ**

63005, MO | June 2016 | FORMER INTERN

Let me start off by saying, I actually accepted and tried this internship, unlike any false reviews you will find on the web merely bashing this opportunity.
Incredible opportunity for growth both personally and professionally.
Incredible sales experience and very respectable sales training.
Opportunity for unlimited and self-determined compensation (literally the world is yours, everyone needs life insurance).
Ability to say that you "started your own business/practice" (this sounds ridiculous looking at it from the outside, but you really do start your own practice)
You are starting your career in this field as soon as you start, this is not an "internship," this is the possibility to begin your career and build your practice while still in college.

Starting your practice in this industry is incredibly difficult and it requires a ton of willpower.
It takes a special amount of motivation to succeed at this.
Quotas and "expectations" are daunting at first.
Training can seem like a lot very quickly.
Starting with your "warm market" can prove awkward and difficult, but it is completely necessary for success.

Comments

I completed this review because I want to pass down real, true, and fair advice on this internship. There is a lot of bs out there on the internet about people who had terrible experiences and it seems like people either love this or absolutely hate it. A little bit on my experience with this internship.

I pursued this as a 2nd semester freshman, which proved to be much too early for me.

I interviewed with two different branches (this gave me a better understanding of the fact that some internships are run much better than others, depending on the branch)

I stressed and worried about my decision for 3 months during the spring, going back and forth on whether to accept in the summer. I ended up deciding to do so.

I went through the first week of training and phoning and I resigned the first day back of the second week.

Ultimately what it comes down to with this internship is "do you want success?" I was fortunate enough to be provided with a great mentor, college unit director and branch manager, I was surrounded by incredible people that wanted me to succeed and pushed me. I simply could not find the motivation to give 110% to make my internship a success. The story may have been different if I did this as a junior going to be senior knowing my workforce entrance is a short year away. I took this to get experience with sales/professional environment and to have a resume builder, and that simply is not enough motivation to succeed with the stresses of running a business. I ruined my first weekend by waking up stressed and it came down to me not wanting to be miserably stressed over something I didn't have the motivation to succeed at. This internship is not horrible, it is not "straight from satan." Anyone that tells you this is the "Cutco knives" of the insurance world is horribly wrong. To start in this industry, you must draw on your warm market, yes (friends and family), but when you get into the mindset that you are building a business and can give your all to

Former Financial Representative Intern

Boca Raton, FL | November 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Few internships offer pay, especially as a first year college student. As an intern, you are paid a weekly stipend and a commission based on your sales, though a large majority of your commission is automatically given to the Manager you work with. You can take the opportunity and run with it, making a large amount of money over a summer, but it comes with the downers.

They expect you to sell to your network - friends, family, peers - and there were multiple times where I felt taken advantage of. You are working the phones for most of the day, and when your network runs dry, you turn to cold calling. Frequently, I felt like the Manager was just using me for additional commission.

Comments

If you take the internship, make sure understand the downers. If you're okay with them, you have the potential to make good money over a summer. The internship is reputable as is the company, especially if it is on your resume as an underclassman.

College Financial Representative Review

Troy, MI | June 2015 | FORMER INTERN

You learn a lot in training, and it is not only a great resume builder, but a great opportunity to learn a lot about financial products.

It's a lot more sales than made out to be, very much like selling insurance as that is their bread and butter

Comments

It is a great experience, but you really have to be prepared to be in a sales mode far more so than an analytical mode.

It's What You Make of It

Chicago | May 2015 | FORMER INTERN

A lot of training and industry specific information. Resume builder. Sale and sector specific experience and skills development.

You are thrown head first into selling financial instruments you don't yet understand to your friends and family. The expectations for leads and meetings outpaces improved training, so it truly is a blind sales gig for a rough stretch.

Comments

If you're going to do it, you need to be sure that selling to people you know is something you are capable of. It starts out really tough and if you're not prepared for that you will burn out before you establish a base.

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

Launching pad for a life of flexibility and limitless opportunity while being able to serve others.

Lincoln, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, income, and being able to truly experience what a full time career would be like.

The hardest part for me was being in the people business and figuring out that people are very undependable from time to time. When you are trying to help improve someone's life financially and they don't follow through on what they tell you they want to do was frustrating for me initially.

This is a great opportunity to learn skills as an entrepreneur and how to build a successful business. If you are a motivated individual who dreams of a career with unlimited income potential, complete flexibility in your personal life, and values helping people you can not go wrong test driving this career.

Advice to Management

Help paint the picture for the interns to know what is really possible with this career. Share examples of career advisors who started out in the internship program and are having amazing success.

top 5 best choices I have ever made!

Dubuque, IA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to impact peoples lives in a life changing way

the Commission part of things can makes things rough but if you work hard and keep your head down it pays of in the long run

Look at it as a potential career not an internship

Advice to Management

encourage the interns to be in the office more and make them earn the freedom.