Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Maximize Your Ability To Succeed
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was incredible as well the leadership that I attained. It opened my mind to a different style of thinking.

Commission, but the stipend helped.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to work hard, this is the perfect experience.

Name a time that you have faced adversity?

Advice to Management

More incentives and competitions to make us work a bit harder.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

You will grow tremendously personally, professionally, and financially this summer - all while helping people you care about
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

making phone calls (but who likes that? :))

If you want to have REAL experience then do this. If you want to have a mindless "job" over the summer do not try it - you will be challenged and will regret this.

The greatest opportunity of my life.
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to build my own buisness. I even hired my first employee while I was a senior in college. I also got to work face to face with clients and really help them.

You are starting a business and if you treat it as such it can take a lot of time.

Be open and willing to really give this a shot and put in the work to find out if this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

A little more training on specific contracts and products could not hurt.

You can create your future
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to be my own boss and control my schedule in addition to the amazing training

To be honest there really isn't any aspect of the internship I don't like. While there were aspects I liked better, there aren't any aspects I didn't enjoy

This opportunity is a fast paced and self motivated opportunity. This career is not going to be handed to you. It is hard work, but the hard work is worth it.

The process didn't feel like an interview, it felt like a conversation. The questions asked were more about what my dream job would be and what my goals are.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything specifically to improve.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

The Road to Achievement
Memphis, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship is the actual experience itself. Interns are able to work as a full time rep as a part time student. I outperformed the majority of my office as a student. Northwestern Mutual also has various contest for its interns such as Winter Camp for the top producing interns during the fall semester. I ranked #9 for the contest and was chosen to speak at the contest camp held at the home office!

There is nothing I would dislike about Northwestern Mutual's Internship!

The opportunity to build your business as a college intern and graduate with a full financial practice is a strong opportunity. You are able to help people achieve financial goals while making good money in the mean time.

Got me where I am
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship was the reason I got into this business. I am forever grateful for the opporutnity and feel so luck for having been in this program.

I don't have a bad thing to say.

Go into it with and open mind and DO what your supervisors suggest. Worst case scenario you will learn a great number of skills you can do with your next endavour. If you half ass it you will be dissappointed with the experience.

A Top 10 internship EVERY college student needs to consider!!!
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentoring, Training, and Development

the growing pains of getting rejected

Go in with a open mind and be coachable on all aspects of training

N/A

Advice to Management

N/A

You get out what you put in
Springfield, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You schedule your own time. Meet with the people you want to meet with. Whatever effort you put in is what you will get out of the internship

It takes time to get paid because of the cycle

Set a goal and decide to reach it. Then dont stop until you do

What is your willingness to ask for help from coaches and mentors?

Advice to Management

I would change nothing, perhaps more willingness to cover costs of Representatives, however the more skin I have in the game the harder I will be working