Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Best business and professional experience with superior pay
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The support and motivation I receive from clients, and colleuges.

Rejection and knowing that there was somebody out there that I may not have been able to help

Know that it is a tough business to start in, but it is also probably the most rewarding.

Advice to Management

I feel that as interns we are unable to use some useful tools that the company has which would make us more productive as interns.

The opportunity to change and your impact yourself and your community through financial planning

Flexibility, pay, leadership

There was nothing I disliked about the internship

In order to achieve your own highest potential you must be able to step out of your comfort zone and challenge those you care about and people they care about as well.

Advice to Management

Employee retention would be the only area that can improve however being that one is running his own company through the internship the majority of the variation in retention is depended upon the intern

This internship will show you if you have what it takes to have a successful career with Northwestern Mutual
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexability of schedule and the ability to work around my class schedule

The internship is easy to go through the mothions, but to be successful you have to be self-motivated. This self-motivation along with extream flexability can be hard to manage for someone 18-21 years old.

Don't just go through the motions and collect the $100 wekly check. As an intern, you have the exact same income potential as the most successful full-time reps.

Perfect opportunity to test drive a career
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting real world experience, having managers/mentors who are amazing people who truly care about my success, getting ongoing training and experience, having the opportunity to gain networking experience, being a part of a company where people truly care about others and do their best possible job to help others, being surrounded by ethical people on a daily basis, having the opportunity to a full time position and leadership positions.

It can be extremely stressful at times when you are super passionate about and sometimes that was hard to handle while balancing school, track and my horse back riding.

You HAVE to be good about time management. You need to be disiplined and independent. The mentors will support you and do all that they can to help you succeed but they aren't going to hold your hand and make sure that you are calling people everyday or meeting people everyday.

Advice to Management

I honestly can't think of anything to improve on...

The Best Real World experience as a college student that blends Marketing, finance and sales.

Running my own Business.

Nothing. The Internship was a lot of work but the culture and people we amazing and the experience was definitely worth the hours.

Do the appropriate background research.

Northwestern Mutual provides its interns with the experience of working as a full-time financial representative with 100% support.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I love the company culture and the support staff behind it. With this internship, the only reason one could have problems is if they get in their own way.

The job itself is not the easiest as you have the same responsibilities as full-time representatives, but there are no complaints about the internship program itself.

No matter what, Northwestern Mutual will give all interns the opportunity to gain professional business experience working with clients of any caliber. The flexibility of the schedule and the additional growth opporutnities that they offer will constantly keep you on your toes and always learning.

Amazing opportunity to test drive a fantastic career and have a head-start coming out the gates.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world experience, test driving a career, professional licensure and certification, lots of valuable learning.

There were many interns who were of high quality but also quite a few that were not and it would be nice if Northwestern Mutual would be able to screen out the ones who are not serious better...

As a true mutual and client-owned company Northwestern Mutual embraces core values of integrity and doing what is right for the clients. This culture is a really special environment to learn and become a part of.

Business experience in sales, financial planning and overcoming obstaces that I could not have found anywhere else

Compensation
Professional Skill Development
Networking and access to corporate culture/lifestyle

Could have used a bit more structure at the time. Was sometimes left on my own and had to ask for more support/guidance

This experience will teach you so much about yourself, the business of financial services and realtionship building skills that will be invaluable regardless of your full-time career

Personal and Professional Growth
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Development, mentorship, and ability to become a business owner

My location and lack of knowledge getting into it.

This job will test your mental strength and your ability to hold yourself accountable in what needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Diversity needs to be increased. The industry is gravitating towards diversity and I feel we need to improve on it.

An internship that puts you miles ahead of your peers whether you want to continue on in this field or another field.

Flexibility, Pay, Social, Skill Building

Lack of initial sales skills

Great company with top teir training.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)