Morgan Stanley Summer Analyst and Associate Programs

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 169 Intern Reviews)

A hands-on experience working with the brightest people in the investment banking industry on market-defining transactions.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Selective summer associate program within GCM, the high level of responsibility place on me quickly by senior managers, diversified industry / product exposure, excellent culture and working environment, and access to senior management.

I cannot think of anything I disliked about the internship.

Rigorous (and fair) interview process regardless of your background and experience prior to business school. A high level of preparation is required, not just on technicals but behavioral questions as well, in order to be successful in the recruiting process.

Advice to Management

I had an excellent 10 week experience and cannot comment on anything specific I saw that need improvement during my short internship period.

Fantastic internship with opportunity for full-time position
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work-life balance and opportunity for full-time offer, wonderful mentoring system, opportunity to learn a lot from senior members of organization.

A trip to Coney Island which is minor.

Morgan Stanley has absolutely wonderful employees, and this internship gives an intern a great look into the firm, and what it is like to work for them full-time.

Advice to Management

From what I understand about their promotion policies, it used to be that you were eligible for a promotion every 18 months, and this has recently been changed to every 2 years. While knowing this did not deter me from signing with Morgan Stanley, it may make me feel differently in due time, once I do actually begin to work.

Networking opportunities are limitless and everyone is willing to talk to the interns

The people
The networking opportunities
The exposure to the industry
Work hours
Social events

That we were limited to working in one department

Talk to as many people as you can and document your experiences.

Advice to Management

Have managers per plan projects for the interns to work on in there respective departments.

Rigorous intellectual experience
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I met, the information I learned, and the responsibility I was given.

Nothing! I had a great experience

One must feel comfortable with and adapt to the company culture

Work hard, play hard. I worked my tail off, had a great time, and got a great full time job out of my internship.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team atmosphere, variety of projects, and interaction with full-time employees.

Sometimes I felt as though I could have received a bit more critical feedback.

Be prepared to work in a very high intensity, highly intellectually stimulating environment where you will be challenged, however also rewarded.

Great firm with a great culture
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Very tight-knit group
-Senior people within the group were very understanding, cared about you, and were very helpful
-Great opportunity to meet with clients (almost every meeting)

-Little bit secluded location

This is a great firm. Everyone is very nice and great to work with. Highly recommend Morgan Stanley to anyone looking to get into finance.

Client contact, senior banker exposure, and responsibility for providing the best financial and strategic advice
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

At Morgan Stanley, summer associates will be expected to quickly step beyond the role of intern and into the role of full-time associate. Interns will have substantial exposure to senior bankers and clients. With that exposure comes great responsibility, but those interested in investment banking as a profession should be seeking out that type of responsibility.

In addition to quickly being staffed in real roles on real projects, the pool structure of Morgan Stanley's associate program in New York allows new associates to work with different groups at the bank to find the best fit. It also creates the most cohesive culture on Wall Street that I have seen. As former pool members progress through the institution, they preserve their relationships across industry coverage groups, product groups, and geographies.

Another positive aspect of the internship was its integration with Morgan Stanley's public service projects. As was true with all of the investment bank, we left our desks for at least a day to volunteer on various public projects throughout the city.

The pool structure is great, but it takes almost two weeks for the entire pool to be staffed to near capacity. This can add anxiety to the early days of the internship as everyone knows that being an idle banker is not optimal.

If you are interested in joining this profession because you want client contact, senior banker exposure, and responsibility for the most important financial and strategic decisions being made by the world's largest institutions, I don't know why you would choose to begin your career anywhere else.

Opportunity to assume real responsiblity on live, active client engagements.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

There were many positive aspects of the internship. For one, the team was fantastic and did a great job to fully integrate the interns into the office culture. The firm set up a number of special events for the interns to learn about the all aspects of the business, not just the area in which a particular intern was assigned for the summer. The work given to interns was exciting and mission critical - it was great to have an opportunity to take a leadership role on an active client engagements.

There was very little not to like.

As suggested by the firm, it is a great idea to get to know many people throughout the firm, and to get familiar with what all the groups in the firm do on a day-to-day basis. It can be tempting to focus on the work of your specific group, but overall it is very beneficial to get a broad perspective.

Warm welcome by colleagues coupled with excellent opportunities for networking and working experience
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to senior management, the firms investment in the interns and in developing their talent, firm culture, excellent manager

Housing subsidy couldn't cover cost of rent in NYC but I appreciated having a subsidy at all!

Excellent employer, really care about their people which was unexpected in a wall street firm. Unique culture- I can't overemphasize what a difference it makes in your experience when yo enjoy and admire your co-workers

Advice to Management

Training might include more firm-specific processes on the onset and grant more immediate access to programs so that interns can be more value add right away

Challenging but rewarding.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

High level of responsibility and trust.

Longer hours than friends at competing firms.

Very quantitative and communication focused.