Intern at J.P. Morgan Corporate & Investment Bank, Asset Management and Corporate Programs? Submit a Review

The first step to a succesful career

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting a real experience in the corporate world and being able to meet new people from many different backgrounds.

The thing I least liekd about the internship was that there was only a few intern events in a csual setting.

If you are looking to gain a lot of knowledge in the finance/accounting field for a great company, this is the place to start.

Immersion in everything business: this internship can and will change how you see the world and yourself in it

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The collaborative and teaching atmosphere

Interesting and fun program activities

Networking with other young and driven students

The training program is like drinking from a firehose

Some persons were quite unsure as to how late they should stay and how many hours to log initially

Talk to as many employees as possible to find out what it's like to work at JP Morgan and what the opportunities are like. Ask yourself whether you are someone that likes wearing a suit and tie to work everyday? Ask yourself whether you physically active and mentally tough. Long hours, lots of coffee and even a fair bit of drinking after work are all part of the work culture and failing to take care of yourself could catch up to you when the stress of work hits.

Tell me about your resume in a story? Tell me about a time where you had to work with someone you did not get along with and how you coped? What do you do in your spare time and what are some of your interests?

Advice to Management

JP Morgan is unlike any other company in that they are actively trying improve all of these issues-- seemingly all the time. The number of hours for my internship was manageable but for those in investment banking the hours were horrific. JP Morgan should look into making those hours more manageable.

What makes JP Morgan Chase tick?

Columbus, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking, speaker events, and events we went to made it really easy to see what JP Morgan Chase stands for. I appreciated the senior speaker series in particular where we got to hear from senior executives at the firm.

I was placed in an office that was 15-20 minutes away from the main campus.

Work hard and get to know the many different people you meet so that you understand the company and it's culture.

Learning how to 'add value'

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Network available, senior speaker series, truly learning how to utilize an incredible amount of resources, a fun team!

Final project, long hours

Keep up with current events, don't worry about fitting what you might perceive to be the ‘typical’ banking model (i.e. finance major). Build on your specialties. Have an interest in a sector and learn how to sell your story.

What is JP Morgan's current stock price? Pitch a stock you've been following. Where do you see the economy going? Why finance, why S&T? Expand on something you think JP Morgan can be doing better. What could we have done differently during the crisis?

Advice to Management

More opportunities to shadow other desks (other than our own)

Becoming a part of something greater than myself

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredible collegial feeling, teamwork, all around extremely welcoming. I learned so much and it was great to be part of.

Nothing, honestly everything was perfect.

You must love finance and be willing to work hard.

Why ibanking? Why JPM? Tell your story.

Advice to Management

Honestly, so great, no complaints.

You cannot go wrong interning with J.P. Morgan!

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of mentorship and interest senior members, and the entire office for that matter, took in my learning and development was beyond expectation and unmatched in reference to my peers' experiences at other institutions.

The work life balance is lacking, but that is and industry-wide problem. Overall, J.P. Morgan is better than most and the protected weekend setup instead of the protected Saturday format actually offers you more flexibility with your weekends even when you are not protected.

To potential interns, obviously know your stuff to be successful in the interview, but more importantly be yourself since the firm is looking for down to earth individuals that can work well with the existing teams and individuals that they have.

J.P. Morgan leads the way with strong training, exposure to senior leadership, and an authentic experience in summer analyst program

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having the opportunity to work with such intelligent people from different professional and cultural backgrounds, hearing key firm executives in the senior speaker series, and a strong training experience.

Not applicable. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

J.P. Morgan provides the opportunity to work in a close-knit cultural environment, with the advantages of having leading roles on some of the top deals on Wall Street.

• Considering your asset management background, why specifically do you want to do banking? What did you not like about your past internship, and how does banking differ?

• Tell me about a time you have demonstrated leadership.

• How have you prepared for a possible career in IB?

• Walk me through the valuation methods (intrinsic and relative)—how would I go about valuing Apple?

• Apple is a weird company, in that they are sort of uncategorized in industry and have little or no comparables. How would you value them?

• When is it good to use a DCF, when is it not?

• How are your Finance & Accounting Skills? Rockstar I assume?

• Walk me through a DCF (hi-level)

o What is discount rate in DCF and how do you calculate?

o Within WACC, what is Cost of Equity and how do you calculate?

o Within CAPM, what is Beta and how do you calculate (Two methods)

o What is the formula for unlevered beta

o The two methods you gave me are both historical. How could you calculate a forward-looking beta?

o What are the methods for calculating terminal value

o What is Gordon Growth method, what does it mean, and what is the formula?

o How do you find the terminal growth rate (somewhere around inflation or GDP- conservative growth)

Advice to Management

Hours can always be improved, but the firm is making an effort. The firm excels in diversity and training.

Career Setting

Jersey City, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The responsibility I was given , the team I worked with , as well as my overall feeling of the JP Morgan Chase Corporate community.

Nothing everything was fine

JP Morgan Chase provides a canvas for you to decide what field or sector you want to work in due to your ability to move around the company primarily due to its size .

What was a time where you had to take charge and change something or someone who was negatively effecting a team you were on ? And what do you do to fix it ?

Advice to Management

N/a

JPMorganChase: The BEST firm to intern for as an undergraduate student

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really appreciated that, from the beginning, the program directors emphasized that we were not competing against our fellow peers. We each had a position at the end of the program, but we needed to earn the position through our hard work. That is definitely different from other programs. Also, several events were planned to connect with the other interns, and there were additional speaker series with upper level managers. Another perk is that we had full access to all of the benefits of a full-time employee, especially their online directories and learning resources.

I definitely feel the program was too short. I would have loved working in the program longer (opportunities within the program existed, but not within the summer program).

I would recommend that the candidate should want to work for an extremely large organization. JPMorganChase had over 250,000 employees, and you really feel that as soon as you start. The amount of people you will be in contact with is overwhelming at first, but an excellent resource once you become acclimated. Also, I'd recommend comparing the diversity & inclusion policy that JPM has to others, because I feel their acceptance of ALL employees is commendable.

1. Can you describe the difference between the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows?

2. What do you feel about the economy?

3. Describe your previous internship position.

4. Explain a time when you were in a group setting and faced a challenge.

Advice to Management

I would suggest, although extremely hard to do, implementing ways of bringing employees of different lines of business at the firm together. I think that so many divisions are so concerned with their own line of business, but I feel like reaching out to similar roles in other divisions would only help the firm.

Hard work pays off

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real hands on work that was used for actual investment decisions

No overtime pay

Better desk placement from the start and more materials for preparation before orientation

Add up all of the numbers 0-100

Advice to Management

Greater diversity