Intern at Goldman Sachs Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

Banking

New York, NY | June 2015 | CURRENT INTERN

Prestige, intelligent coworkers, smart driven team members across the spectrum

the number of hours on meaningless tasks to please the senior md

Comments

This is a good internship to get a sense of the life of a banker.

Got to work on an 8 week M&A process - more experience in two month than what most get out of 4 years.

San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people that I worked with - all spent time teaching me something new.

At times, the hours were tough. But that's part of the job description, and that experience taught me a lot.

Join a firm that is willing to invest in you. This is one of them - if you do well you'll have the options to move around through the mobility program - something that opens up more doors than you can ever imagine.

Advice to Management

Focus more on work-related training. General finance knowledge isn't bad - but doing things we do on the job is more useful.

Incredible learning experience with a lot of responsibility surrounded by a dynamic team that was always there to help

1. Deal flow

2. Opportunities

3. Team orientation

4. Wide exposure

5. New work-life initiatives

6. Great people

1. Sometimes the hours were tough and it was hard to get through

Do not focus on learning much before, you learn a lot on the spot. Focus on having a great attitude.

Most Fulfilling Summer

Real work and application

Hours and balance

Fit is the biggest component

Rewarding and enjoyable summer at Goldman

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked on impactful projects as an intern, and had collaboration with full time employees.

The company culture is more to the serious side overall.

* Company culture;

* Job role;

* Mentorship & access to senior people.

Exceeded Expectations

Company culture.

Too short.

Explore all the different positions within technology.

The strongest steel is forged in the hottest fires. I wouldn't go anywhere else for the training and opportunities Goldman Sachs provides.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Loved the people by whom I was surrounded - high quality and really care about both each other and the mission.

It is nearly impossible to have a real life outside of work.

Really consider if you have what it takes to be successful in the most challenging organization on Wall Street.

Advice to Management

The Saturday Rule (9-to-9) MUST be enforced by the senior bankers! It felt disingenuous to be told I have Saturdays off and then still find that I was expected by junior bankers to be in the office.

Work hard, learn a lot, and have a great time.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at Goldman is great. I learned so much and everyone was very helpful in getting me up to speed on finance concepts.

The hours were long, but it wasn't more than I expected.

It is a lot of work, but rewarding if you put in the time and effort. You don't need to know much about finance coming into the internship, but it is expected that you will do additional work to get up to speed.

Best possible experience through exposure to multiple facets of the Securities division at a large bank

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to different roles within the division, culture of the workplace, access to senior level people, enjoyed getting to meet/spending time with everyone, very determined to find you a role within the firm. It was incredible that every intern was hired at the end of the summer, two of which in roles that they did not anticipate hiring for.

very little...only problem was that as an intern, you can do limited "real analyst work" in Sales & Trading since it requires certain licenses. this was not a surprise though.

Get to know everyone you can in the office, and attempt to create strong relationships with a few people. Once you do this, people will be willing to go out of their way to help create a position.

Tell me about what is going on in the markets right now? What happens if the Fed suddenly raises interest rates? What do you like to do for fun that is not sports/school/work related? Why are you prepared for this role as an intern here? Tell me about your interest in this firm/division.

Advice to Management

More training specific to Sales & Trading would have been beneficial for us during the first week in NY.

Engaging

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to learn more about technology and finance

I wish there was more time to ramp up on the new technologies I was working with

Future interns should consider whether they have an interest in finance because the financial components are very critical to making a useful product