Evercore Advisory Summer Analyst and Summer Associate Progam Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #2 Best Internships for MBA Candidates  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Fantastic summer at a company that truly cares about its summers, great learning experience

Working with incredibly smart, friendly and hardworking individuals who cared about my own personal learning and development

Of course you will have to work long hours, but this is standard across banking

Truly a great culture, you will have a lot of fun and learn a lot!

Date: 2013

The best finance experience you can get as a junior in college.

Access to senior leadership, career development, working on complex financial models, working with extremely smart superiors and peers, team building activities, having a great summer analyst class, gaining client exposure.

The hours are long

Many extremely smart and talented people, lean deal teams, strong exposure to clients, ability to learn complex financial modeling, highly selective summer applicant process (maintain high GPA, having a previous internship and strong extracurriculars helps). People here are passionate about finance.

Advice to Management

Start promoting the top analysts to associate after two years.

Date: 2013

Challenged yet supported by smart nice people

Working with some of the most successful people on the street who want to teach you about how to succeed.

A generalist pool means you work with a lot of different topics

Need to be comfortable working with very senior people right away. They will ask your opinions so be ready to be more than just a workhorse.

A Foundation Built for Success

The best aspects of the internship included the genuine respect that was given by every employee at the firm. I also was provided a great work/life balance and was given valuable work that contributed to the success of projects.

I really did not have anything that made me think negatively about the internship. Going into it, I already knew there would be variability in the workflow and hours, but even that turned out better than I expected.

Take the time to get to know as many people as possible while you are there and take advantage of all the resources that are available to you.

I found this review helpful (2 others have found this review helpful)

Date: 2013

Best experience on Wall Street, working with the smartest people, and the biggest deals while learning a lot and making more than your peers

- Senior level attention - Scope of deals - High profile deals - Amount of responsibility given

- Too short to get a real feel of banking, but enough that you know what you are getting into

Evercore is the best kept secret on Wall Street, the yield is incredibly high and the people are great to work with. Make sure you come off as humble as they won't hire people with bad personalities

Advice to Management

Continue to pay high with the other high paying firms

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Date: 2013

An IB internship where even at the junior level, one can produce meaningful work and work frequently with senior bankers

The firm, above all, values its culture and employees. While the nature of the job often entails long work hours, Evercore prioritizes the betterment of its junior employees at all times. Throughout the summer, there were numerous corporate events during which we had the opportunity to get to know our co-workers (MD's and all!) on a personal level. While the investment banking lifestyle is not a walk in the park, Evercore makes it more than manageable by maintaining a culture that highlights mentorship and communication.

At the beginning of the internship, we were asked what industries we would like to work in during the summer. Based on our preferences, we were staffed on various projects. While the staffer kept tabs on how many projects we were working on at any given time, it was not communicated how analytically intensive said projects were. As a result, some interns received a great deal of analytical work from the beginning of the internship, while others had to wait until the very end to receive any sort of modeling experience. While it is difficult to assure all interns receive the same amount of analytical work (by their very nature, no deal is the same), a stronger flow of communication between the deal teams and the staffer concerning what type of work each intern was doing would be beneficial in the future.

No other firm comes close to comparing to Evercore in terms of easing one into the IB lifestyle with mentorship and communication. Some individuals will know from the beginning that they prefer a bulge bracket experience, in which senior banker interaction and a lean deal team experience is non-existant. However, for those open to all types of experiences within the investment banking field, I highly recommend such candidates strongly consider Evercore as a top choice. From speaking with individuals from all other firms (Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Lazard, Moelis, and Citi), no other culture promotes a similar level of intimacy and comfortability as Evercore. Individuals from such other firms will explain that "the people" is what makes the firm unique. However, these individuals will also explain to you that during their summer experience, they rarely worked directly with a partner or MD, and had to stay at his/her desk each night until his/her analyst left. At Evercore, there is no such thing as "face time." There is no grunt work that is done just for the sake of staying busy. All work is purposeful, and even at the junior level, one is given the opportunity to sit in on meetings with partners and is encouraged to state one's own opinion. Most importantly, there is life beyond the office - once work is completed, there is no need to stay in the office until your higher-ups finish their work. While other firms explain that their respective cultures are unique, I can assure that none is quite as enjoyable and open, but also hardworking, as that at Evercore.

Advice to Management

All facets of the company I experienced over the summer were top-notch. The one suggestion I have to the firm is summer training. Our training program was all done internally, and over the years has become more and more structured. While the program is almost there, there are still a few things that need improvement. Perhaps a small pamphlet/intern manual that describes how to go about completing firm-specific actions would be beneficial.

I found this review helpful (3 others have found this review helpful)

Date: 2013

Interaction with clients and senior bankers is the norm. Work with some of the smartest students from the best universities.

Evercore has a strong focus on culture and hires students who work extremely hard, are as intelligent as it gets, but aren't Excel robots

I had a great time - I wish the summer were even longer!

Meet as many people as you can, and work across as many industries as possible during the summer. If you want to work with someone or in a specific space, be proactive about telling your staffer - he/she will try their best to make it happen.

Date: 2013

The best people, the best experience, the happiest summer analysts

Lots of interaction with senior bankers. Very close intern class, everyone works very well together. Opportunity to take on real work and contribute from the first day.

Still investment banking at the end of the day, hours can be long.

The quality of people you work with are the best you will find. No jerks, everyone is talented.

Date: 2013

A breath of fresh air when it comes to banking; mentoring culture shows senior employees truly care about junior bankers

People, culture, quality of work, compensation

Hours are long, but that is expected in investment banking. Easier to work long hours when surrounded by fantastic people.

Every at Evercore is extremely talented, yet also humble and laidback. The firm cares about culture as much as they do about intellectual ability. Make sure you are qualified in both areas.

Advice to Management

Banking is banking, but Evercore is the best place to do it.

Date: 2013

Could not have worked for a more respected and culture-oriented firm

The people and deal flow

Few late nights but that's the nature of the job

If you want to do investment banking, there's no better place to do it than Evercore