Intern at Discover Financial Services Internship Program? Submit a Review

Great work, great team

Company Culture, Innovative, Plenty of volunteering

My entire team was remote and I was alone.

Be open to being on other teams within the Marketing Department. I did not realize how many different areas of Marketing that can be within one company itself. Though you may not like the team you were placed it, still come in with an open mind and willing to learn. You will learn so much and maybe grow to like that team.

Advice to Management

I wish the internship program was more diverse. A lot of students come from the same schools and already know each other so everyone seems to be divided into cliques.

Great experience that everyone should try and get the opportunity to do. The experience is wonderful and they give you meaningful work.

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meaningful work given to work on. The many fun outings you get to do with all of the interns and also with your respective teams.

There was nothing that I did not like about the internship.

I wish I would have known all of the positions that are actually within the organization and as long as you are able to get into the organization, you will get exposure to many teams.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is much that they are lacking on when it comes to being a better place to work.

Discover the Internship

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and knowledge gained

Shuttle Problems

Be different and be unique

Most Fullfilling Internship Experience

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and the exposure I have received through networking within the department

That it will end

Everyone was speaking the truth when they told me that Discover is a wonderful company to work for. I would just say make sure to research all of the possibilities within the department because I had no idea how many opportunities were available to me until I started talking to people.

The internship gave me invalulable experience in the field I'm in.

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great work environment, fantastic housing accommodations. Exciting and fulfilling things to work on. Relevant work experience. Decent amount of fun internship and team events outside of work. Illinois summers are very mild.

They seemed a bit disorganized at the beginning. Software and tools are limited and take awhile to get permissions.

The analytics grad students were paid the same as the analytics and BT undergraduate students. I think a Masters/PHD candidate in their mid 20's is slightly more valuable than a 19 yr old comp sci student who knows a little bit of Java.

Work hard, do your job, and you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Don't limit the tools and environment so much. Also, why does it take so long to get approval for everything?

I forget specifics, but the interview was not extremely technical. They were all over the phone, and I didn't have to write any code or anything.

Flexibility and learning built around you

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Very flexible with our scheduling. Did not feel like we were forced into doing only one thing. Work that is meaningful and actually provides use to the company.

Due to small team size, sometimes was working alone and did not have resources when problems would arise.

Reach out, network and look for work to do. Don't ever be idle.

Growth and Learning in an IT industry

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work/Life balance and learning opportunities

Confusing onboarding process, there was misinformation sent to us

Learning and growth is on your own accord. This internship is built around you, you are responsible for improving yourself and using resources around you.

Advice to Management

Provide us with our needed access sooner.

Great learning process, helps broaden work experience

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Employees openness to work with you, and the meaningful work they give us.

Bored at times, beginning was slow getting access to everything needed to work.

Everyone is great to work with, take the time to meet with your director and VP as soon as possible. These connections will help you tremendously.

Great place to not only grow your knowledge but truly help the company and your team to grow.

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to sit in with my team and actually to be a part of meetings and get involved in what the team was doing.

Doing one more event just for the BT interns to show their skills

That this truly is a great place to work for. They really do come through with how they make it feel when talking to recruiters.

Learning the life of a business analyst

Riverwoods, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking opportunities, learning how the business runs in a financial corporation.

So much freedom (is a good thing) but at times I wish it was more structured (little less free).

Take notes and ask questions. It will only benefit you.