Discover Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 44 Intern Reviews)

The best information technology internship that you could possibly get period
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company pays for you to live in a great hotel for the summer

Some times I had days with not much work because my team was too busy to assign work to me.

Discover bases its hiring decisions on weather a candidate can fit well into the company culture.

Advice to Management

Try to have some form of plan for the interns work before the intern starts working.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Unique internship within a caring and interesting environment that only gets better with each and every day that you set foot in the office!

Paid Hotel Housing

Hotel serves hot breakfast every morning and dinner on select nights

Transporation to work provided

Only 45 minute train ride to Chicago (Metra station is literally across the street)

Casual and relaxed work environment

Team and project based environment

Numerous of career development, social networking, and volunteer events

Assigned mentor who is on your team

Exposure to upper management

Caring environment

The major project I worked on kinda started off a bit slow.

Take advantage and appreciate every opportunity that the program directors provide you with because there will be lots of opportunities. The program directors really do a great job at expressing how much they care about you having a wonderful experience.

They take care of their interns

The outings

The free food

The volunteering

My co-workers.

Nothing, I thought that it was a great experience overall.

If you get called down for canidates day, you will most likely get the job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, everything was well put togather.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Possibly the best summer of my life, exciting and meaningful work and great work life balance.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team I was on was absolutely great, they gave me plenty to work on and kept me involved with all sorts of tasks. The interns all lived together in an extended stay hotel which was basically a resort. So there was always something to do after work that was fun.

The pay is not exceptional. It by no means is low just not crazy. And the start up process upon starting the internship can be a little slow for some to get work.

Discover is a great place to work. But to get the most out of it you need to be proactive. Always ask questions and always ask for more stuff to do. You wont learn anything by just sitting at your desk doing nothing.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Great Experience and Great Perks!
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company itself and the living accomadations.

The schedule

Come in with a open mind

Why do you think you fit at Discover

Advice to Management

Scheduling and technology training

#1 Place to Work
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All of the Discover Financial Services interns are housed at a Marriott hotel not far from the office.

The pace of decision making here can be slow

Consider this company if you want well-rounded exposure to multiple areas of the business.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Great summer! I learned a lot and met some really fantastic people.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

There were many intern outings that allowed me to network with other interns and employees. I also was part of an already established team of full time employees, that let me see what it would really be like to work for the company. I worked hard, but also had time to enjoy an hour of lunch and a game of ping pong on a regular basis. The living situation was also top notch.

At the beginning of the summer it took a bit to get a busy schedule, because my team's project was at a point where there wasn't much for me to do.

Discover places a lot of emphasis on personality. You have to be able to hold a conversation with strangers, and view your coworkers as friends. One would probably have a much more intensive learning experience at another company, but if you value work life balance, Discover is the perfect place to be.

Many of my questions were behavioral based. It was different for other departments, but at least for IT interns the interviews were very laid back and more of a conversation instead of an interview. They mostly wanted to see if our personality would be a good for the company.

The perfect blend of career development opportunities and hands-on work in an open and supportive environment

The best parts of the Discover Internship Program are:

-Opportunities to work with senior management

-Completing challenging work that was actually used by the department in which I worked

-Having an assigned mentor in the department

-Opportunities to work in the community with full-time employees (i.e. volunteer events)

-Opportunities to schedule one-on-one meetings with employees across departments to learn about their work

-Very open, relaxed, and collaborative culture

-Fun team building events for the interns (i.e. Boating and lunch on Lake Michigan during the work week)

-Speakers series where c level leaders spoke to interns about career development

-Interns are valued as professionals and are welcomed by team members

The only con that I can think of is that the program is not as well known outside of the Chicago area as I would expect for such a large company.

Despite being a Fortune 500 company, Discover does not have a cut throat environment. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Discover emphasizes personal growth and works hard to give its interns the best possible experience. I feel extremely lucky that I had the opportunity to intern here because as I've looked at internships for the fall near my college, recruiters are very impressed by the work I did here. I have never felt more welcomed by a group of people I did not know than here at Discover.

They were pretty standard. Tell me about yourself and why you want to work at Discover were the two questions the entire interview revolved around. Doing research on the company and the products it offers was very helpful in mine.

Advice to Management

I think some more training specific to the department in which I was assigned would have been helpful. The general orientation all of the interns experience provides an excellent history of the company and overview of the industry. However, an overview of my department and the way it functions would have been helpful.

A constructive friendly environment where you participate in actual projects.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with; the housing they provided was good, and made it easy to connect with the other interns; the pay was significantly above minimum wage; the expectations were reasonable; I knew within hours after the interview that I was accepted

The time between the interview and start date was 6-7months

They are a very good place, they take care of their employees, and their internship program is very good.

The managers I interviewed with mostly had me asking about what their team did, but a question I remember was - Which class did you like the least

Advice to Management

I was satisfied with everything I saw.

Return to Riverwoods Reaps Rewards
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was sufficient and interesting and the people were great.

Can't say I have much to complain about.

If Discover has a department that you are interested, apply today.

Asked what classes I had taken and what I had worked on previous to the internship.

Advice to Management

Discover is a great place to work and is already taking steps every day toward becoming better.