4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 44 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

The best information technology internship that you could possibly get period
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company pays for you to live in a great hotel for the summer

Some times I had days with not much work because my team was too busy to assign work to me.

Discover bases its hiring decisions on weather a candidate can fit well into the company culture.

Advice to Management

Try to have some form of plan for the interns work before the intern starts working.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

They take care of their interns

The outings

The free food

The volunteering

My co-workers.

Nothing, I thought that it was a great experience overall.

If you get called down for canidates day, you will most likely get the job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, everything was well put togather.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

The perfect blend of career development opportunities and hands-on work in an open and supportive environment

The best parts of the Discover Internship Program are:

-Opportunities to work with senior management

-Completing challenging work that was actually used by the department in which I worked

-Having an assigned mentor in the department

-Opportunities to work in the community with full-time employees (i.e. volunteer events)

-Opportunities to schedule one-on-one meetings with employees across departments to learn about their work

-Very open, relaxed, and collaborative culture

-Fun team building events for the interns (i.e. Boating and lunch on Lake Michigan during the work week)

-Speakers series where c level leaders spoke to interns about career development

-Interns are valued as professionals and are welcomed by team members

The only con that I can think of is that the program is not as well known outside of the Chicago area as I would expect for such a large company.

Despite being a Fortune 500 company, Discover does not have a cut throat environment. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Discover emphasizes personal growth and works hard to give its interns the best possible experience. I feel extremely lucky that I had the opportunity to intern here because as I've looked at internships for the fall near my college, recruiters are very impressed by the work I did here. I have never felt more welcomed by a group of people I did not know than here at Discover.

They were pretty standard. Tell me about yourself and why you want to work at Discover were the two questions the entire interview revolved around. Doing research on the company and the products it offers was very helpful in mine.

Advice to Management

I think some more training specific to the department in which I was assigned would have been helpful. The general orientation all of the interns experience provides an excellent history of the company and overview of the industry. However, an overview of my department and the way it functions would have been helpful.

Great summer! I learned a lot and met some really fantastic people.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

There were many intern outings that allowed me to network with other interns and employees. I also was part of an already established team of full time employees, that let me see what it would really be like to work for the company. I worked hard, but also had time to enjoy an hour of lunch and a game of ping pong on a regular basis. The living situation was also top notch.

At the beginning of the summer it took a bit to get a busy schedule, because my team's project was at a point where there wasn't much for me to do.

Discover places a lot of emphasis on personality. You have to be able to hold a conversation with strangers, and view your coworkers as friends. One would probably have a much more intensive learning experience at another company, but if you value work life balance, Discover is the perfect place to be.

Many of my questions were behavioral based. It was different for other departments, but at least for IT interns the interviews were very laid back and more of a conversation instead of an interview. They mostly wanted to see if our personality would be a good for the company.

A constructive friendly environment where you participate in actual projects.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with; the housing they provided was good, and made it easy to connect with the other interns; the pay was significantly above minimum wage; the expectations were reasonable; I knew within hours after the interview that I was accepted

The time between the interview and start date was 6-7months

They are a very good place, they take care of their employees, and their internship program is very good.

The managers I interviewed with mostly had me asking about what their team did, but a question I remember was - Which class did you like the least

Advice to Management

I was satisfied with everything I saw.

Unique internship within a caring and interesting environment that only gets better with each and every day that you set foot in the office!

Paid Hotel Housing

Hotel serves hot breakfast every morning and dinner on select nights

Transporation to work provided

Only 45 minute train ride to Chicago (Metra station is literally across the street)

Casual and relaxed work environment

Team and project based environment

Numerous of career development, social networking, and volunteer events

Assigned mentor who is on your team

Exposure to upper management

Caring environment

The major project I worked on kinda started off a bit slow.

Take advantage and appreciate every opportunity that the program directors provide you with because there will be lots of opportunities. The program directors really do a great job at expressing how much they care about you having a wonderful experience.

Great experience

experience

working on large projects

be more strict on providing documentation on the projects.

What are the difference between an overload method vs. a override method?

Advice to Management

obtaining access to documentations for projects

Valuable, unique experience. What you see is what you get
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Given good work to do, good professional growth, got to learn many new things.

That it came to an end

Discover is genuinely interested in helping you grow professionally. During the entire recruiting process, they work with you and account for your likes and dislikes. It is a two way street.

The Discover Internship Program delivers everything you could ever ask for from an internship program.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at the Discover is amazing. They have mastered the art of a perfect work life balance. Every employee is looked at as a person, not just an employee. Everyone who works at Discover loves their job.

I loved everything about the internship. There are no cons.

Be enthusiastic, learn from everything you do, and make connections with everyone (the interns and full-timers).

Exactly what I could want coming out of my sophomore year.

- networking opportunities

- learning from experienced professionals

- getting involved with meaningful work

I have nothing to say.

let the recruitment team place you based off preferences -- do not come in with a preconceived idea of what you think you want to do

How many streetlights are there in Chicago?

Advice to Management

provide better context behind the type of work different teams do, and allow students to have an idea of what exact work they could be getting into before accepting