Discover Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 44 Intern Reviews)

Return to Riverwoods Reaps Rewards
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was sufficient and interesting and the people were great.

Can't say I have much to complain about.

If Discover has a department that you are interested, apply today.

Asked what classes I had taken and what I had worked on previous to the internship.

Advice to Management

Discover is a great place to work and is already taking steps every day toward becoming better.

The Discover Internship Program delivers everything you could ever ask for from an internship program.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at the Discover is amazing. They have mastered the art of a perfect work life balance. Every employee is looked at as a person, not just an employee. Everyone who works at Discover loves their job.

I loved everything about the internship. There are no cons.

Be enthusiastic, learn from everything you do, and make connections with everyone (the interns and full-timers).

An incredible experience to understand all aspects of Marketing
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship are the corporate culture at Discover and the intern programs across all departments.

I wish we got to understand other areas of the company, specifically other Marketing departments better.

Collaboration is at the core of Discover, being able to manage relationships and working together in a group is key.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Discover's friendly culture and diverse areas of business make it a great place for advancement with many opportunities for growth.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meaningful project work, great team enviornment, good culture at Discover with opportunities for mentorship and networking, and good opportunity to return full time.

Some of the interns were younger (rising Sophomores and Juniors) who seemed to need to mature personally and professionally.

There are a lot of departments which you can be placed, some that fit the more "Marketing" definition than others. Regardless, with every placement there is opportunity to learn and have meaningful project work.

How does Discover make money?

In what area of the business could you see yourself in?

I was also asked if I were to take the internship, would I take a full time offer. And if so, would I be able to deal with the commute and would I stay at Discover long term.

Advice to Management

There sometimes were times where my boss had no work for me to do. I would have liked more work and to be able to contribute as much as possible to the team.

Discover is the greatest company ever!
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting new people, working with a wonderful team, and learning more about my field of study.

Not having enough work as a full-time employee.

Work as hard as you can and take advantage of all of the learning oppourunities

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Challenging internship doing "real-life", valuable work
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

In Internal Audit, I felt as though my work was valued and useful to not only the Audit department, but to Discover as a whole. I was able to see the entire progression of an audit - planning, fieldwork, and reporting. I had a wonderful mentor who provided me the correct training in order to complete my internship successfully. I enjoyed the different events for the interns, i.e. Lunch and Learns with executive management and volunteer events, as well as events that allowed us to explore downtown Chicago.

I honestly don't have any cons to the internship. It was a great learning experience that I would recommend to anyone.

Discover truly values its business, its employees, and its customers. It is a wonderful culture to be a part of and allows you to challenge yourself. Discover respects their interns and treats them as the future faces of the business. I would definitely recommend pursuing Discover to see if it is the right fit for you.

What do you know about the credit card industry?

Tell me about a time when...(behavioral questions)

Have you ever had to deal with risk?

Team based questions

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Discover is actively investing in cultivating young talent
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accessibility of upper management, amenities provided, opportunities to contribute to team.

Not very competitive

Fantastic learning opportunity

Great experience
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

experience

working on large projects

be more strict on providing documentation on the projects.

What are the difference between an overload method vs. a override method?

Advice to Management

obtaining access to documentations for projects

The perfect blend of career development opportunities and hands-on work in an open and supportive environment

The best parts of the Discover Internship Program are:

-Opportunities to work with senior management

-Completing challenging work that was actually used by the department in which I worked

-Having an assigned mentor in the department

-Opportunities to work in the community with full-time employees (i.e. volunteer events)

-Opportunities to schedule one-on-one meetings with employees across departments to learn about their work

-Very open, relaxed, and collaborative culture

-Fun team building events for the interns (i.e. Boating and lunch on Lake Michigan during the work week)

-Speakers series where c level leaders spoke to interns about career development

-Interns are valued as professionals and are welcomed by team members

The only con that I can think of is that the program is not as well known outside of the Chicago area as I would expect for such a large company.

Despite being a Fortune 500 company, Discover does not have a cut throat environment. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Discover emphasizes personal growth and works hard to give its interns the best possible experience. I feel extremely lucky that I had the opportunity to intern here because as I've looked at internships for the fall near my college, recruiters are very impressed by the work I did here. I have never felt more welcomed by a group of people I did not know than here at Discover.

They were pretty standard. Tell me about yourself and why you want to work at Discover were the two questions the entire interview revolved around. Doing research on the company and the products it offers was very helpful in mine.

Advice to Management

I think some more training specific to the department in which I was assigned would have been helpful. The general orientation all of the interns experience provides an excellent history of the company and overview of the industry. However, an overview of my department and the way it functions would have been helpful.

Great summer! I learned a lot and met some really fantastic people.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

There were many intern outings that allowed me to network with other interns and employees. I also was part of an already established team of full time employees, that let me see what it would really be like to work for the company. I worked hard, but also had time to enjoy an hour of lunch and a game of ping pong on a regular basis. The living situation was also top notch.

At the beginning of the summer it took a bit to get a busy schedule, because my team's project was at a point where there wasn't much for me to do.

Discover places a lot of emphasis on personality. You have to be able to hold a conversation with strangers, and view your coworkers as friends. One would probably have a much more intensive learning experience at another company, but if you value work life balance, Discover is the perfect place to be.

Many of my questions were behavioral based. It was different for other departments, but at least for IT interns the interviews were very laid back and more of a conversation instead of an interview. They mostly wanted to see if our personality would be a good for the company.