Intern at Charles Schwab Intern Academy? Submit a Review

- Networking opportunities
- Able to speak with executives and CEO
- Career Development and Strengths session
- Real-world hands on experience
- Ability to contribute to projects which the business is actually working on

- Finding housing in Denver was tough

The culture at Schwab is really about the people. Once you get here, try to reach out and make connections.

Advice to Management

Spend more on educational development - sponsor degrees and certifications

Extremely awesome company culture

Akron, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The learning and networking opportunities. I also loved my first rotation in the defined benefits department.

How short the first rotation was because it took longer to learn all of the systems and procedures.

Taking advantage of as many learning experiences as possible.

What was one of the biggest obstacles you've faced and how did you overcome it?

Full-time experience with excellent pay and benefits

Austin, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent hourly pay and significant benefits. Each intern is given an employee brokerage account and the opportunity to earn up to $200 contributed to the account by recording their experiences on the intern intranet page.
As an intern, you are treated just like a full time employee. You undergo a formal onboarding process and are then expected to fill a project role in your department.

Vast disparity in job responsibility between roles. Some intern positions have a very high workload while others are essentially administrative assistants. Extreme lack of diversity. My intern class was 80% white and male, and the company overall has a similar makeup.

As an intern, you have the opportunity to conduct informational interviews with full time employees in any department - take advantage of this! If you are not satisfied with the department in which you interned, it is still possible to receive a full-time offer from another department, but only if you know where you want to go and have talked to the appropriate people about the steps to get there.
This organization moves very slowly overall.

Advice to Management

Allow interns to dedicate overtime hours to special projects. Only being in the office for 9 weeks limits the impact we can make on the organization, allowing individuals to work beyond 40 hours per week would give them the opportunity to demonstrate their full potential.

A time to learn and grow

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

my manager really emphasized learning about other departments. The intern academy is designed to hire interns even if that means hiring them in departments they didn't intern in.

I've been through the academy last year, so some of the group sessions were repetitive

The financial services industry is very confusing. It is going to take some time to learn the ins and outs of the business. But the culture within Schwab is second to none, and everyone promotes asking questions

Advice to Management

I think a lot of the time especially during my internship managers used professional "jargin" that I really didn't understand. It's difficult to fully understand what is happening.

Name a time where you were in a group and things weren't going well, and how did you attempt to resolve the situation?

Phenomenal Culture and People

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Availability of leadership and willingness to help

Hours are too short

I wish I would have known how much emphasis is placed on culture

Amazing

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of activities given to the interns and effort to cultivate interns into becoming a full-time worker is tremendous.

I like everything about the internship

I would advice to see first hand if the company is a good fit for you.

An experience of learning and growth

Austin, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learned a great deal here. The culture is extremely collaborative and the leaders want the best quality of life for their employees.

A bit of a lack of direction at the beginning of the internship. It seems as if they wanted to test me if I could go out myself and find work to do.

Schwab is a relationship-based company. Networking is imperative to success and promotions here. That being said, it is pretty easy because the internship program does a lot to help you learn how to network effectively.

Advice to Management

Share a situation where you had to win over an individual or group to a new way of thinking. How did you describe this new way of thinking? What actions did you take? What was the result?

Schwab Provides Rising Seniors With An Exellent Opportunity To Gain Hands-On Financial Services Experience

Cleveland, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Schwab Intern Academy has consistently recruited strong talent and will continue to do so in coming years. In my experience at Schwab, the office culture is truly second to none and employee's at all levels of the organization are forthcoming with career wisdom and insight. Moreover, the intern program provides a structured experience while remaining flexible enough for employee's to explore individual interests within the company.

On balance, the 2017 Schwab RPS Intern Academy was a fantastic experience facilitated by managers who are genuinely interested in developing future leaders. Therefore, no part of the intern academy itinerary stands out in my mind as a negative experience.

Potential interns should be cognizant of the varying occupational rotations encompassed by the Schwab RPS Intern Academy program. After accepting a position in the summer program, intern roles are determined primarily by one's academic history and previous work experience.

Advice to Management

The only suggestion I have for management is to provide incoming interns with a high-level educational resource before beginning the Schwab RPS Intern Academy.

Can you elaborate on your previous work experiences?
Describe a time you faced an ethical dilemma and how did you resolve this issue?

Schwab is the GOAT!!!

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

When I view work I see it as a job regardless of how it is, and the goal is to complete it as best you can. Period. The aspects that I look for in a company are the socialness of employees, how well they work together, and the comradery of the organization as a whole. I found Schwab to be unrivaled in all of these categories, and that is what I found to be the best quality of the internship.

Some of the Intern Academy sessions could have been shorter and more precise, however, I still very much enjoyed them and would attend them again.

I would let any future prospect know about the culture at Schwab above all else. I personally would have liked to know more about the multiple departments in Schwab and how to maneuver them throughout my career.

Advice to Management

Other than being more efficient with some of our academy sessions, I cant think of anything else that could have been improved.

What type of analytical skills do you possess, and how have you applied those?

Owning My Future

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The breadth of programming that this internship covers reaches beyond any curriculum you will learn in school. Professional communication skills, strengths assessments, networking, and assessing one's financial health are just some of the many topics covered during weekly roundtables. Also the ability to converse with the CEO during a live Skype session was the most valuable and well-received portion of my internship experience. It truly shows that management respects and sees interns as the future of the company.

I wish it was longer!

Make sure that the job description fits what you are interested in pursuing a career in. If you get hired as an intern you may never want to leave so really finding a niche early on will be very helpful!

Advice to Management

Provide a stipend for interns relocating for the summer.

What stands out to you in our annual report?
What are your strengths and how do you leverage them?
Tell me about a time you failed and how did you overcome that failure?