Centerview Partners Summer Analyst -- NYC Internship

Unrivaled Exposure to World Class Deals
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I cannot believe the incredible culture that pervades the firm. From being paired with a senior partner at the firm who will actually reach out and make a point of seeing how you are progressing, to having small group lunches with the founders and a former treasury secretary and even being given the responsibility of building out a full merger model for multi-billion dollar companies, I have been constantly amazed at the extremely high level the firm maintains in any event. This translates into a summer experience unrivaled by any my friends have had elsewhere.

Being a smaller firm with incredibly large a complex deals, Centerview really has a very lean feel to teams and workload. Though I think this is one of the main benefits of the firm and gives you exposure to upper level thinking as a summer analyst, the hours can be long and quite a bit is expected from your first day. The long hours are significantly improved because the quality of the surrounding people is top notch and whenever you are busy, the work is rewarding.

If you are willing to work hard and want to be at a firm that will let you think in new ways, I cannot encourage you enough to reach out to anyone you may know at the firm. Do anything you can to get your foot in the door because it is a small place with an incredible amount of applications, so speaking with one analyst will make all the difference.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It works incredibly well.

Most rewarding summer experience
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office culture is fantastic, and there is a strong sense of Centerview community.

While there is no face time, the hours can still be fairly tough.

In an industry where you may be seeing your team for twenty hours a day, who you are working with can make a world's difference. Office culture matters, and Centerview has a great one.

Lots to Learn, Great People: A Stellar Summer Experience
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are incredible - Very normal / fun to spend time with who have a serious work hard play hard mentality, but they also invest in your learning and progress. The work you are given as an intern is interesting and a good representation of what it is like to be a full time analyst.

The unpredictability of the job is tough to learn to deal with. You have to be very flexible at all times

At Centerview, you get a much more hands-on experience and more individual attention than at the bulge brackets, while being part of a collegiate culture and still having access to blue-chip clients.

Immediately included as an integral member of deal teams with meaningful responsibilities and client exposure.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Providing both strategic and financial advisory to clients is a rewarding and fulfilling experience that enables you to develop more as a financial analyst and to be apart of meaningful day-to-day operations of the largest companies. The job requires hard work and heavy responsibility made up for by high compensation

Lean deal teams have their costs and benefits. Can mean heavy work at times

Clear choice if you're looking to learn all aspects of the business, not just to collect as many deal toys as possible without having a full understanding of the client and its needs. Centerview has worked with clients for decades without ever doing a transaction, but this builds the client relationships at deeper levels and results in Centerview being the lead advisor on all the largest transactions it is apart of.

An outstanding summer experience in banking!
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Really being treated as a full member of the team and getting a chance to work closely with senior bankers

The skill set among Centerview analysts is very developed, and without the benefit of the full time training, it was harder to offer as much to the team (although they were aware of this, and very reasonable in what they requested.)

I couldn't think of a better way to spend a summer to see if you really will like banking (it turns out I do!) -- and I definitely can't think of a better firm to end up working for if you do!

Advice to Management

Everyone seemed very engaged and excited by the work. I do think spending additional time focusing on continuing, off the job development could be useful, although I struggle to give examples of what that could be.

Without a question the place to be in investment banking
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lean deal teams, opportunity to do meaningful work, significant interaction and learning from both junior and senior bankers, strong mentorship program, great office culture and firm vision

With the leaner deal teams and opportunity to perform meaningful work, the hours can be quite long. Definitely worth the longer hours though for a more fulfilling experience, better exposure to deals, and significant learning

In my opinion, you get the best training and mentorship available, more meaningful deal experience, and a better firm culture and vision than any other opportunity can offer. The only reason not to come here is if you are not interested in investment banking and want to pursue a different line of work. However, if you are considering a career in investment banking, then this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

The overall experience was great and gave what I believe to be an accurate sense of what life as an analyst is like. The only downside is the hours, but it comes with the territory and is definitely worth the longer hours for the additional learning and better deal exposure you get here as compared to other firms.

Best firm to intern at for for investment banking
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great junior and senior mentors, exposure to senior bankers, opportunity to work on interesting assignments

Hours were sometimes tough, but were on par with other banking internships

Firm culture and being a good fit within the firm is the crucial factor for making internship decisions.

Incredible professional learning experience
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredible access to senior management, a lot of responsibility, great company culture, great deal flow

With lean teams and constant deal flow, hours could be hard at times.

Be enthusiastic about every task, and be willing to learn.

Advice to Management

I thought that the experience was incredible overall. Could not ask for much more. I not only learned an incredible amount, but had a fun time and made great friends.

Great culture, great experience, great bank
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Sitting in MD's office on day to day basis and getting great exposure to senior leadership.
Summer soccer league to really get to know the other bankers

Could have used more modeling experience

Pays way above the street and has a great culture. I actually enjoyed the people I worked with, which I don't think is the case at every ibank (that's why I'm going back).

Advice to Management

More employee events. Give the summer interns a celebration at the end of the program.

Unmatched experience with client-facing projects.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great mentorship by senior management. Close-knit company culture. Plenty of resources to use to gain experience.

Longer hours than some other firms; hours seemed to be more variable than most shops.

The interview process is a great indictor for whether someone will fit within the firm culture and strategic goals.

Advice to Management

Promotion could be based more on merit than tenure.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)