Intern at Capital One Technology Internship Program? Submit a Review

Pushing a bank into the public cloud

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture - people are enthusiastic about their work and totally willing to sit down and help you meet your goals. Professional development is clearly encouraged.

Commute (self-inflicted)

Devops and AWS experience will serve you well here. Projects range across technology stacks, but fundamental skills with Linux, networking, and security will be helpful on any team.

10 weeks of great learning and experience

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with a team who really cared about my development

I wish I could have had some more flexibility with what kind of project I could do

The tech office have a start-up kind of feel (which is good), instead of the corporate feel I was expected

Exciting work with great atmosphere

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, work place atmosphere, flexible job hours, and great banking initiatives with technology

Flexibility on location

Don't be nervous, everyone is friendly. If you don't like the situation you are in at work, they will do everything to help accommodate you to a new area

Capital Fun!

Plano, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work-life balance, networking, the projects, fun intern events, culture, people.

An extra week or two would be nice.

Time files when you're having fun. The summer will end before you know it.

Advice to Management

Improve the matching process by requiring interns to fill out a survey specifying their interests.

Great, just like I expected!

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting other interns, the culture of capital one is amazing, feeling like I did something valuable is great, my team was amazing and welcoming.

I wish it was closer to home.

Be ready to be challenged. There are crazy smart people here, and you may be smart in your class, but here you won't be.

Advice to Management

All of the examples are great. Only advice would be to have teams that get an intern have an action plan made before the intern arrives. So that way the intern can start to work as soon as possible.

Basic three types:

Tell about me a time...

Let's go through this programming problem and tell me how you would solve it.

Let's look at this scenario, and see what your thoughts are.

Best work life balance results in meaningful learning and outstanding final deliverable

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Manager was so present, engaging, and a teacher. Team was so happy and friendly. Project was awesome, self owned, and learned so much. So many perks in the internship, tons of fun events and happy hours. Great networking opportunities throughout

Wish I was exposed to more diversity events besides women in tech

Capital one is way more than a bank - in maximum in 3 years, it truly will be a full fledged tech company. All the steps have been taken to get it there.

Advice to Management

The promotion policies seem annoying based on what I've been told.

Capital One TDP offers a rigorous, engaging internship experience that rivals even the bigger names in tech.

Plano, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom and flexibility--managers supported our ideas and provided the resources to achieve them. Our team was given a project and throughout the summer we were given ample opportunity to shape it the way we saw fit.

In the first few weeks of the internship, we had a few issues with access control and provisioning, meaning we were unable to start real work right away.

Do not be afraid to speak your mind. Management and peers respect even the opinions of the interns, and speaking up will help remove any potential obstacles in your experience. Additionally, use your time to network and learn new things. There are plenty of brilliant people here that have plenty of wisdom to share.

Advice to Management

Access control was the only major issue I encountered, and it could have been resolved with some escalation on the part of management. While training was overall very good, our limited access to our manager was a bit of an impediment.

"Talk about a time you had to explain a technical topic to a non-technical person"

"Two numbers are represented as linked lists. Design an algorithm to add these two numbers and return the result as a linked list"

Great way to kick off your career at a company that values you

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Intern events, number of people there to ensure your internship is a success

The project is isolated, you typically will not be a part of the team in the sense that your work is separate. Though if you ask most teams are willing to accommodate.

That Capital One is not your average bank. The company culture is much more aligned with a typical technology company.

Quality work life balance

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work that was fulfilling yet not completely time consuming.

Manager could be a bit over worked at times.

Take the time to be outgoing and meet as many other people as possible.

Is this even real life

Washington, DC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great team, made amazing friends with other intern, tons of happy hours to network and free booze lol.

Corporate bureacracy

It is a corporation but every manager tries really hard to deal with red tape. Red tape is met with fire and fury. I got all the special access I needed. None of that "youre only an intern you cant have that info"

Advice to Management

Make sure every intern has a desk!! Many of us had to roam around since desk space was scarce.