Intern at Capital One Technology Internship Program? Submit a Review

I honed my analytical skills while learning about daily life in the corporate world

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the people I interacted with on a daily basis. It was exciting to see the future of the company spelled out by many of the top executives in the company, including the CEO.

I didn't love the project I was working on

Go to every event Capital One event that you possibly can

Tell me about a project you participated in.

A summer to remember

Dallas, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The TDP program organized lots of social events that I really enjoyed. It made me feel apart of something and not just some intern.

It's only 10 weeks long! The summer went by so quickly.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. My team was super helpful so it wasn't as big a deal for me but other interns struggled with their projects and didn't ask their team for help.

One of the technical questions was to implement a queue using stacks

The case interview was more of a business question regarding security. Protecting customer data and such.

Amazing learning experience that challenged me

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Friends, pay, experience, intern events

No cons that I can think of

The company has a ton of divisions that you can experience and learn about

Advice to Management

I can't think of any

Linked list addition question, encryption question, is a palindrome question

Work as part of a team, developing real world applicable skills in the field of technology while having a blast and getting a 6 figure salar

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team, the culture, the work

It felt a little short, but time flies

Be passionate about technology and bring your whole self to work.

Advice to Management

Make sure you train managers on what interns need to do during the summer. My manager was great, but I heard others had managers who weren't as good.

Great internship

People and culture

Traffic in the area

Plenty of opportunities to participate and learn. Take advantage of them

Add two numbers represented by linked lists.

Capital One has an amazing culture and offers very interesting projects to work on

Plano, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture, lots of fun events, a lot of freedom

Takes a long time to get required permissions

It really is as good as it seems

Advice to Management

Figuring out a way to get interns required permissions faster

Talk about a time when you explained a technical concept to someone with no technical knowledge.

Capital One, a place where to work because you want to, not because you have to.

Plano, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The way they break up the process with opportunities to learn and grow in various ways.

No hardware. I understand that banking is their product but I would have enjoyed an opportunity to explore some of their hardware offerings even if it was just through 3rd party vendors

There will be some traveling involved for anyone outside of Virginia, to Virginia. They are catering to the college student pretty hard so if you find yourself outside the norm you may want to make arrangements. As a 26 year old college student with a wife, I had to plan to drive home every weekend and be more aware of my free time than I originally intended.

Advice to Management

Increase the stipend for living so interns with spouses can afford to live and make money while working over the summer. Another $2000 would have done the trick. Internships are 100% more enjoyable when you tackle them with the people you love by your side. Alternatively, they are 100% harder when you are away from those same people for such extended periods of time.

Design a program to verify the syntax of the JSON string.
Tell me what each argument does in this encryption method declaration.

Great overall experience

All of the fun events

there just wasn't enough time to do everything

Take advantage of everything offered

Get the experience of a full-time employee in only a summer at Capital One.

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on a beautiful campus. Meeting lots of great people. Contributing meaningful work to our team.

The housing provided by National Corporate Housing was very disappointing. Instead of giving them my stipend, I could have kept it and found much better housing. Capital One should find a new service to handle housing.

I wish I had known how easy it was to reach out to people on other teams at Capital One (for purposing of integrating their software tools with ours, etc.). Everyone is very open to conversation.

Advice to Management

Make the interview questions a little more difficult.

What is the best way to encrypt files added to this folder under these constraints?
Write code to find the sum of the nodes of a binary tree, all of which contain numbers.

Develop software and yourself through writing code, making friends, and experiencing life as a tech associate at Capital One.

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Multitude of opportunities to meet with other interns and make friends
- Strong and positive relationship with manager
- Challenging project and lots of autonomy
- Laid back corporate culture
- Competitive pay
- Connections made with team members

I would have preferred a longer internship - our ten weeks (more like 9 weeks once you take orientation into account) went by so fast! A twelve week internship would have been great.

Although Capital One does appear to primarily be a banking/credit card company, the software projects they have go way beyond the scope of just banking and credit cards. All forms of software engineering teams and projects can be found at the company, including the popular areas like mobile, machine learning, and more. I wish I'd known this when I was submitting my preferences for the type of work I wanted to do. Your work isn't limited to just banking-related things.

Advice to Management

There's very little I can think of at the moment.

- Reverse an array (there were more coding/technical questions than just this but I can't remember them)
- How would you store potentially sensitive customer data?
- How would you explain a technical or in-depth concept to someone non-technical or unfamiliar with the concept?