Intern at Capital One Technology Internship Program? Submit a Review

Bizarre but Amazing Summer

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

First of all, the company makes sure that you have an ample amount of human contact with other interns so that you have a great life outside of the internship. I talked to other people in other companies and they neglected to do that and they were kind of miserable. At Capital One, they really tried their best for us to make friends before the work even started. The whole first week was just a set of paid friend-making events.

The company culture and its mission really truthfully impacts the employees. It's a great feeling to know that (whether or not everyone is drinking the company koolaid and are brain washed is a non-point) everyone is working towards the same good goal. Honestly, it shows. The honesty and the ethics of the company definitely shows in the people.

The projects were interesting as well. For a bank, the company was extremely technical and daring in nature. DARING. I was in the systems team and I got to work with very interesting cutting edge tools like Docker, Chef, Fastlane, Jenkins, etc.

Overall a lot of things happened. Had a lot of fun with other interns as well.

The corporate structure was frustrating. I've never been in a corporate environment. In my mid-internship review, my manager noticed that I was getting frustrated with the corporate structure, despite my "excellent performance" and told me that it's something that just couldn't change because of the company's nature. I guess when you put people in a room, politics happen and there's really nothing you can do much about it.

take it. It's much better than what you're thinking right now. It might as well be the best time ever. It's a great company, absolutely.

Informative and demanding but rewarding and fun

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting people, learning new tech

Having stand up every day at 9 AM

Don't worry about how much you do or don't know going into the internship. Be focused and you can learn everything as you go

Cool Work, Great Work-Life Balance

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Coworkers were helpful and kind. Working with Spark and Scala on large amounts of data is a dream for an intern, and I was allowed to contribute to high visibility projects.

No reimbursement for metro rides. Some coworkers were hit or miss on skill level as engineers, but all were incredibly kind.

This company is making a large transition towards being a premier tech company in the banking space, but it's definitely not there yet. Depending on what you want out of your work, it may be best to consider a company whose focus is 100% tech.

Best Tech Internship I Ever Had

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture of the company is amazing. Everyone is so welcoming and willing to help. You are given projects that actually matter for Capital One products.

Sometimes there would be over-programming which can distract from work.

This organization cares about who you are as a person along with what you can do. They want you to enjoy your work so you have the freedom to meet people on different projects if you're interested. Every team is a bit different but collaboration is key at Capital One.

The best internship of my life - but highly dependent on your manager

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Huge focus on learning. Capital One will do anything to help support you. (e.g. pay for AWS Certification training and exam) Also holds many events geared towards teaching their employees new skills like ML and Security.
Wonderful benefits and perks. Campus-styled offices.

Some events were not as organized. Your project/work was very dependent on your manager and that could make or break your internship.

Overall, this internship would easily be in the top-10 Tech internships offered. Capital One truly cares about you as a person and helps you achieve what you want to achieve. The internship taught me so much and gave me a lot of leverage for my resume.

Advice to Management

Although Capital One is focused on learning, the company fails to offer a good tuition assistance/scholarship program for associates.

Design a customer service queuing system.

Do real software dev work for real business needs and have a ton of fun along the way

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, work life balance, location, culture, experience gained, integration into team, fun events sponsored by program

If team was working on something beyond my skill set it was hard to contribute

if you don't like something, speak up because there are a lot of people willing to help you fix it

Technology company that also does banking - the absolute best of both worlds

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Involvement with other Interns, after-work activities, challenging work

Building I worked in was farther from main buildings

Speak up - whether its asking questions, providing input, introducing yourself at the beginning of meetings, or going out of your way to talk to someone you don't know, you will definitely learn something every time you speak up.

Amazing team and internship experience

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team was prepared and extremely helpful. Three other interns and I worked on a meaningful project. I felt appreciated and my team was always available for help.

I can not think of any cons.

Your experience can very greatly. I was lucky to get a prepared and helpful team, as well as work with 3 other interns. You may be placed onto a team who is less prepared and you may not work with any other interns. However, there are plenty of intern events to network and socialize outside of work.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are prepared for your interns and provide a meaningful project that will have a legacy at Capital One.

Amazing company and great summer

Team, projects, people

Nothing great place to work.

Get involved, make the best of every opportunity given.

Advice to Management

Less bureaucratic process

Linked list questions. How you achieve goals. Past job experiences

A Splendid Experience

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work, the teammates, the other interns.

The commute was probably the worst part, and it wasn't even that bad!

I wished I knew specifically which technologies I would be working with!

Advice to Management

It was fantastic!!!