Capital One Internship Programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best IT Internships  /  #5 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

Learning how to Innovate

Got to work on projects that full time employees were working on. Had weekly meetings with a mentor to discuss progress/anything I wanted. Got to talk and network with executives, despite being in such a large company.

Not enough transparency about the job offer evaluation process

The company culture is what really sets Capital One apart from the rest. The company espouses a balanced work environment and is considerate of their employee's well being. It also invests a ton of money into training its employees, especially new hires.

Advice to Management

It should take into consideration the cost of living for certain areas and give a higher salary to those living in areas with higher costs of living.

Data driven enhancement strategy

The best aspect was the fact that I presented my findings and recommendations to partner teams on a few different occassions and was driving changes to the strategy. The changes will be implented soon and people were eager to understand the findings.

I didnt sit with my team and Capital One uses a lot of acronyms that are hard to catch on to

Data analysis drives the strategy at Capital One - have to comfortable with numbers and quantitative analysis

Advice to Management

Teradata training should be improved

Real responsibility, great people

You get complete ownership of a real project

The timing of the internship is short so some things have to be rushed

If you are looking for real work and actual ownership without insane hours, Capital One might be right for you.

Date: 2013

Heavy analytics with fantastic work-life balance and fun company culture

People, company culture, Monday fun carts, young employee base, sports teams

Location - no possibility for travel, very data heavy

If you like numbers and analysis and want to work in a fun, college-like atmosphere, definitely consider Capital One!

Advice to Management

Not really under their control, but more travel possibilities and location options

Date: 2013

Interesting work with good balance.

Informal work environment, reasonable hours, good pay

Lack of feedback

Be sure you can make the location work

Business analyst / internal consultant

Really great support and development programs. Capital One really invests in its interns and there are many opportunities to interact with senior leadership.

Not the most prestigious reputation for an intern program, but the actual experience is top notch.

Keep Capital One on your list if you're interested in management consulting. Much of the work and analysis is of a very similar nature.

Advice to Management

The program could benefit more from diversity recruiting, both in terms of geographic pull as well as academic backgrounds. I am a Human Biology major, female, and go to school at Stanford, and I would've loved to have seen interns from more diverse backgrounds and locations.

Date: 2013

Supportive collaborative environment offers opportunity for growth

Managers care about your development, teams collaborate and there is no cut throat competitiveness. Project leads encourage you to learn from experience but are willing to help whenever necessary. Intern events are great. People are great!

Some interns get stuck in crappy team situations. HR and recruiting are really helpful with this if you reach out to them, but some people don't do that and suffer and some even dont get offers (very few). I didn't have this bad experience and few do but in such a big program it does happen. Also having some people you know in different locations kinda sucks but that's not a big deal.

The culture at capital one is great! The way the company values feedback and structurally gives it is great. The program coordinators are very helpful with any problems as long as you Bring it to them.

Advice to Management

Maybe some better training schedules for interns. (Card economics class needs to be earlier). That's about it.

Date: 2013

The experience is absolutely amazing!

The best aspects was being given real work to do and also opportunities to network.

The only con I have is having to look for a place to stay. I wish I had more help with that.

Engage in every opportunity offered. The income is fantastic but the experience and learning will help you get further in your career. Be the best person you can be and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

Reaching out to more areas beside just northeast. When you begin to spread out a little more you will gain more talent and ideas.

Intern Proves It Is Possible to Have Fun While Working

The work/life balance was very nice, not expected to work super long hours. It was also nice to be part of a large intern class.

Some of the work was not particularly engaging.

It is hard to create a project that will be engaging and also meaningful that is realistic to complete within the time frame of internship so use your time as an intern to get to the company and the people who work there.

Advice to Management

Make the internship onboarding more similar to ADP onboarding.

My Internship at Capital One: A Summer of Work and Fun

The work/life balance, the very useful training seminars, lectures given by executives, the mentorship program, the team building activities, and the compensation of course!

I can't think of a single thing I didn't like!

Capital One is an excellent company to work for. Most of everyone I met were kind, laid back, and dedicated because that is the kind of environment the company provides. You will always have a place to relax at the many break areas, sitting areas, and lounges. Capital One's development program is especially for recent college-grads because it assigns each new hire with a mentor (usually someone from the last batch of new-hires) who helps streamline the transition between a school environment and an office environment.

Advice to Management

I can't think of a single thing. I was very happy with my compensation, and my hours. Even on the handful of days that I had to stay late, I didn't mind because the office was has such a happy, relaxing atmosphere! Capital One is extremely diverse, and there are so many training opportunities from online classes to the Capital One University, and all the guest speakers that I can't think of any way to improve the experience.