Capital One Internship Programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best IT Internships  /  #5 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

I learned a great deal from this internship, not only from day-to-day modeling work but also from the people with whom I work as role models

Exposure to business application of statistics has always been what I wanted to see.

That there was no commute stipend

As a stat major especially if the department where you study statistics focuses a lot on theories, then you need to get your mindset adjusted to a business-driven world where every technical aspect should be backed by a story that makes business sense

Advice to Management

Commute compensation is the only thing I can think of right now.

Date: 2013

An opportunity to learn and grow while adding value to your team, and it pays well too.

The amount of time and effort put into the entire program. It is clear that the entire company, from the most junior associates to the upper most executives, are fully invested in making this internship a valuable experience.

It's a bit too short. The learning curve is very steep, and as soon as you feel up to speed, it's time to go back to school.

Make sure it's a good fit. If you mesh well with the culture, great. If you're not a team player, maybe try somewhere else.

Advice to Management

I think they do a pretty great job, to be honest.

Date: 2013

A great overall experience with a company that truly exemplifies the values it claims and really invests in its employees.

The internship pays very well and is a great opportunity for networking and learning. Interns are given the opportunity to work on real projects, significant to the company. Intern projects are often continued by full time employees after the internship has ended.

I wish the company had given a little more help with finding a place to live for the summer.

It is a great company with excellent values and culture. It truly invest in and cares about its employees, both interns and full time hires. The work is not always the most interesting, but it is not boring either. It will challenge you without expecting unreasonable amounts of time or skillsets. The work/life balance is next to impossible to beat.

Advice to Management

The career path after the first two years is unclear and seems a little stagnant, which worries me as a potential entry-level employee with big career goals.

Date: 2013

Supportive collaborative environment offers opportunity for growth

Managers care about your development, teams collaborate and there is no cut throat competitiveness. Project leads encourage you to learn from experience but are willing to help whenever necessary. Intern events are great. People are great!

Some interns get stuck in crappy team situations. HR and recruiting are really helpful with this if you reach out to them, but some people don't do that and suffer and some even dont get offers (very few). I didn't have this bad experience and few do but in such a big program it does happen. Also having some people you know in different locations kinda sucks but that's not a big deal.

The culture at capital one is great! The way the company values feedback and structurally gives it is great. The program coordinators are very helpful with any problems as long as you Bring it to them.

Advice to Management

Maybe some better training schedules for interns. (Card economics class needs to be earlier). That's about it.

Intern Proves It Is Possible to Have Fun While Working

The work/life balance was very nice, not expected to work super long hours. It was also nice to be part of a large intern class.

Some of the work was not particularly engaging.

It is hard to create a project that will be engaging and also meaningful that is realistic to complete within the time frame of internship so use your time as an intern to get to the company and the people who work there.

Advice to Management

Make the internship onboarding more similar to ADP onboarding.

Date: 2013

A great analytics experience in a culture that respects its employees and their lives

Big intern program, great development opportunities, and impactful, interesting projects

Data access was a frustrating issue

Deeply analytical internship that allows interns to get a true feel for what it is like to be an analyst at the company.

Advice to Management

Be more open about travel in interviews. The frequent travel to Richmond annoyed me a bit at first, and I think it was more a function of the fact that I didn't realize the requirement of any travel before the internship than a function of the actual amount of travel.

Date: 2013

Solve problems, implement solutions and work with tremendously talented individuals

Learned a tremendous amount about business analysis while being mentored by business leaders with varied and interesting backgrounds. Fellow interns were intelligent and hard working. Lots of opportunities to network in the company.

Capital One has two distinct intern analyst families. Operations Analyst and Business Analyst. I did not have the chance to select which family I was a part of and struggled to make my way to the opposite family for a full time offer. The operations analyst role is not as well regarded and does not provide the same learning opportunities.

Evaluate the role you are being offered as an intern. The operations analyst role is not as strong as the business analyst role and may cause you significant issues in terms of finding an ideal team or location for a full time offer.

Advice to Management

Change the way OAs and BAs are recruited. I found very quickly that I wanted to be and should be a BA, however, I had no choice in the matter. Find a way to recruit OAs that does not penalize those individuals who actually wish to be BAs.

Date: 2013

Engaging work, engaging people, engaging possibilities for future opportunities

The work, the events for interns and speaker series, the intern fun days, the chance to voice own ideas and take initiative to network outside direct team

Business analyst interns have a bit more structure than brand/marketing interns since the brand program is new. Still awesome though!

Consider the importance of mentorship when deciding if a team is the right for for you, if the manager is someone who will help you grow

Advice to Management

Make promotion and pay policies more transparent and clear, be up front about potential for intern offers (ie how's my positions are available)

Date: 2013

Working with smart people to transform big data into customer experiences that are both positive and profitable

- The Capital One Internship Program provides interns the opportunity to take ownership of a project that directly affects the company's performance. An intern may be responsible for persuading management to make multi-million dollar decisions. - Capital One's people are very collegial, and there is an effort by management to make themselves accessible. Not only are the majority of associates incredibly nice, they are also very intelligent. Every day, I am learning about new ways to approach problems. Overall, Capital One's associates have a culture of being well-balanced and competent. - The skills you will develop are currently very in-demand. Capital One is an analytic powerhouse, and you can learn from some of the very best analysts there. - Capital One stands behind values that make me proud working for the company.

- At first, the job can seem overwhelming. Everything around you is moving at a rapid pace, while you are still playing catch-up. It may take a while to get adjusted and become familiar with all of the analytic tools available.

The Business Analyst role at Capital One is aptly named - you must be an analytical thinker to thrive. If you enjoy working with large amounts of data, developing and testing hypotheses, and thinking about problems down to their minute details, you'll enjoy being a Business Analyst.

Date: 2013

The greatest learning and growth experience I have had during my professional career

The amount of work that you receive and the responsibility that comes with it. I was not out fetching coffe or filing papers, I was doing real work that full time employees do. My prescence made an impact and the work I did was assistive in many aspects to the full time employees. I was trusted and treated with respect which was very beneficial in my learning process. Traveling all over the country for business presentations and meeting all the other interns was a great aspect as well. Capital One gives you first class service 100% of the time, and they truly value and respect there employees ( even interns).

At some points during the internship I was stuck without anything to do, and everyone is so busy in the office no one could really assign me everything so the rare time that it happened were I was being unproductive was probably the least enjoyrable aspect of the internship but it did not occur very often.

Capital One is a top bank, and one that is growing rapidly. It would be hard sought to find a company that truly cares about its employees, only operates in an ethical manner and gives you an opportunity to show off your talents and rise through the company. Capital One is first class all the way, money is not an option as there value for there employees in insurmountable. With the rate of growth that capital one is experiencing there is significant opportunity to excel and make the most out of your career, while doing it with a company that is going to act ethically and give you all the necessary resources in order to suceed.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)