Capital One Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best IT Internships  /  #5 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

My Internship at Capital One: A Summer of Work and Fun

The work/life balance, the very useful training seminars, lectures given by executives, the mentorship program, the team building activities, and the compensation of course!

I can't think of a single thing I didn't like!

Capital One is an excellent company to work for. Most of everyone I met were kind, laid back, and dedicated because that is the kind of environment the company provides. You will always have a place to relax at the many break areas, sitting areas, and lounges. Capital One's development program is especially for recent college-grads because it assigns each new hire with a mentor (usually someone from the last batch of new-hires) who helps streamline the transition between a school environment and an office environment.

Advice to Management

I can't think of a single thing. I was very happy with my compensation, and my hours. Even on the handful of days that I had to stay late, I didn't mind because the office was has such a happy, relaxing atmosphere! Capital One is extremely diverse, and there are so many training opportunities from online classes to the Capital One University, and all the guest speakers that I can't think of any way to improve the experience.

Date: 2013

The experience is absolutely amazing!

The best aspects was being given real work to do and also opportunities to network.

The only con I have is having to look for a place to stay. I wish I had more help with that.

Engage in every opportunity offered. The income is fantastic but the experience and learning will help you get further in your career. Be the best person you can be and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

Reaching out to more areas beside just northeast. When you begin to spread out a little more you will gain more talent and ideas.

Date: 2013

Capital One internship offers not-notch training, very competitive compensation, and interns do real work

They spent a lot of effort and resources on my development

Too short to really learn my role

You cannot go wrong with Capital One, but make sure you compare other companies to see if it is the right fit

Advice to Management

The only thing that I think could be better is it would be great to have all the access and software exceptions beforehand. Many of us interns ended up waiting a week or two for our access to be granted

Date: 2013

Using data analytics to solve challenging business problems

The best parts of the internship was to have ownership of a project that was meaningful to the business unit. I met with senior-level managers during the data collection and analysis phases, and my recommendations were taken seriously, even though it meant changing the direction from where they planned to go.

I am not as passionate about the credit card industry--particularly the area in collections that I worked in.

Don't let Capital One's a people-focused and laid back culture beguile you into thinking that it is an easy place to work. A high performance bar is held for all associates, and you will definitely be intellectually challenged.

Advice to Management

The company did a great job so it is difficult to think about something. Perhaps, work with candidates more once they have been extended an offer, and help them get placed in a part of the company that will work will with their strengths and interests.

Date: 2013

Interesting work with good balance.

Informal work environment, reasonable hours, good pay

Lack of feedback

Be sure you can make the location work

Date: 2013

Great learning experience with great people!

Meeting all the interns from around the country. The amount and quality of hands on learning.

Logistics on how to relocate.

Great company to work for. Truly cares about its employees.

Balanced, Engaging, Intellectually Stimulating

The people, the depth of analysis, the pay

No international opportunities

Capital One is an amazing place to work; the atmosphere is fun yet hardworking. I would recommend this to anyone interested in consulting, operations, or finance.

Data driven enhancement strategy

The best aspect was the fact that I presented my findings and recommendations to partner teams on a few different occassions and was driving changes to the strategy. The changes will be implented soon and people were eager to understand the findings.

I didnt sit with my team and Capital One uses a lot of acronyms that are hard to catch on to

Data analysis drives the strategy at Capital One - have to comfortable with numbers and quantitative analysis

Advice to Management

Teradata training should be improved

Date: 2013

Engaging work, engaging people, engaging possibilities for future opportunities

The work, the events for interns and speaker series, the intern fun days, the chance to voice own ideas and take initiative to network outside direct team

Business analyst interns have a bit more structure than brand/marketing interns since the brand program is new. Still awesome though!

Consider the importance of mentorship when deciding if a team is the right for for you, if the manager is someone who will help you grow

Advice to Management

Make promotion and pay policies more transparent and clear, be up front about potential for intern offers (ie how's my positions are available)

Date: 2013

Working with smart people to transform big data into customer experiences that are both positive and profitable

- The Capital One Internship Program provides interns the opportunity to take ownership of a project that directly affects the company's performance. An intern may be responsible for persuading management to make multi-million dollar decisions. - Capital One's people are very collegial, and there is an effort by management to make themselves accessible. Not only are the majority of associates incredibly nice, they are also very intelligent. Every day, I am learning about new ways to approach problems. Overall, Capital One's associates have a culture of being well-balanced and competent. - The skills you will develop are currently very in-demand. Capital One is an analytic powerhouse, and you can learn from some of the very best analysts there. - Capital One stands behind values that make me proud working for the company.

- At first, the job can seem overwhelming. Everything around you is moving at a rapid pace, while you are still playing catch-up. It may take a while to get adjusted and become familiar with all of the analytic tools available.

The Business Analyst role at Capital One is aptly named - you must be an analytical thinker to thrive. If you enjoy working with large amounts of data, developing and testing hypotheses, and thinking about problems down to their minute details, you'll enjoy being a Business Analyst.