Capital One Internship Programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best IT Internships  /  #5 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

My Internship at Capital One: A Summer of Work and Fun

The work/life balance, the very useful training seminars, lectures given by executives, the mentorship program, the team building activities, and the compensation of course!

I can't think of a single thing I didn't like!

Capital One is an excellent company to work for. Most of everyone I met were kind, laid back, and dedicated because that is the kind of environment the company provides. You will always have a place to relax at the many break areas, sitting areas, and lounges. Capital One's development program is especially for recent college-grads because it assigns each new hire with a mentor (usually someone from the last batch of new-hires) who helps streamline the transition between a school environment and an office environment.

Advice to Management

I can't think of a single thing. I was very happy with my compensation, and my hours. Even on the handful of days that I had to stay late, I didn't mind because the office was has such a happy, relaxing atmosphere! Capital One is extremely diverse, and there are so many training opportunities from online classes to the Capital One University, and all the guest speakers that I can't think of any way to improve the experience.

Date: 2013

The experience is absolutely amazing!

The best aspects was being given real work to do and also opportunities to network.

The only con I have is having to look for a place to stay. I wish I had more help with that.

Engage in every opportunity offered. The income is fantastic but the experience and learning will help you get further in your career. Be the best person you can be and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

Reaching out to more areas beside just northeast. When you begin to spread out a little more you will gain more talent and ideas.

Date: 2013

Interesting work with good balance.

Informal work environment, reasonable hours, good pay

Lack of feedback

Be sure you can make the location work

Date: 2013

Heavy analytics with fantastic work-life balance and fun company culture

People, company culture, Monday fun carts, young employee base, sports teams

Location - no possibility for travel, very data heavy

If you like numbers and analysis and want to work in a fun, college-like atmosphere, definitely consider Capital One!

Advice to Management

Not really under their control, but more travel possibilities and location options

Capital One the Google of Banking

Treated like a regular employee, given real responsibilities, paid well, lots of fun activities.

Not being able to spend time in other parts of the company to get a feel for what some of the other interns were doing.

Don't look at just the money. Look at the company values, their work/life balance and how dedicated they are to they're employees.

Advice to Management

Have managers clear out their schedule for a week so they can more fully dedicate their time to new hires/interns. Doing this gives the new hire/intern time to get familiar with a lot of the day to day processes and hopefully gives them enough training that they can work on some routine day to day items when the manager isn't around to train them more.

Date: 2013

Supportive collaborative environment offers opportunity for growth

Managers care about your development, teams collaborate and there is no cut throat competitiveness. Project leads encourage you to learn from experience but are willing to help whenever necessary. Intern events are great. People are great!

Some interns get stuck in crappy team situations. HR and recruiting are really helpful with this if you reach out to them, but some people don't do that and suffer and some even dont get offers (very few). I didn't have this bad experience and few do but in such a big program it does happen. Also having some people you know in different locations kinda sucks but that's not a big deal.

The culture at capital one is great! The way the company values feedback and structurally gives it is great. The program coordinators are very helpful with any problems as long as you Bring it to them.

Advice to Management

Maybe some better training schedules for interns. (Card economics class needs to be earlier). That's about it.

Real responsibility, great people

You get complete ownership of a real project

The timing of the internship is short so some things have to be rushed

If you are looking for real work and actual ownership without insane hours, Capital One might be right for you.

Fun, leasurely,

Flexibility. They are very attentive and do their best to keep interns happy and excited.

I did not feel challenged enough. The locations are also not ideal.

Be vocal about your needs. They are very accommodating and willing to help if they can.

Advice to Management

The diversity could be better as well as the quality of the training. I felt like some of the training was ineffective.

Date: 2013

Engaging work, engaging people, engaging possibilities for future opportunities

The work, the events for interns and speaker series, the intern fun days, the chance to voice own ideas and take initiative to network outside direct team

Business analyst interns have a bit more structure than brand/marketing interns since the brand program is new. Still awesome though!

Consider the importance of mentorship when deciding if a team is the right for for you, if the manager is someone who will help you grow

Advice to Management

Make promotion and pay policies more transparent and clear, be up front about potential for intern offers (ie how's my positions are available)

Date: 2013

Working with smart people to transform big data into customer experiences that are both positive and profitable

- The Capital One Internship Program provides interns the opportunity to take ownership of a project that directly affects the company's performance. An intern may be responsible for persuading management to make multi-million dollar decisions. - Capital One's people are very collegial, and there is an effort by management to make themselves accessible. Not only are the majority of associates incredibly nice, they are also very intelligent. Every day, I am learning about new ways to approach problems. Overall, Capital One's associates have a culture of being well-balanced and competent. - The skills you will develop are currently very in-demand. Capital One is an analytic powerhouse, and you can learn from some of the very best analysts there. - Capital One stands behind values that make me proud working for the company.

- At first, the job can seem overwhelming. Everything around you is moving at a rapid pace, while you are still playing catch-up. It may take a while to get adjusted and become familiar with all of the analytic tools available.

The Business Analyst role at Capital One is aptly named - you must be an analytical thinker to thrive. If you enjoy working with large amounts of data, developing and testing hypotheses, and thinking about problems down to their minute details, you'll enjoy being a Business Analyst.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)