Capital One Internship Programs

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #22 Best Overall Internships

Best job experience I have had to date
Plano, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They wanted me there and want to help me develop as a professional because they feel that I can become a useful asset to the company.

Finding housing for the summer in Plano was a bit of a pain.

They care about you and your development.

Fun and Exciting Internship Experience that Provides for Personal and Professional Growth
New Orleans, LA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My mentors and superiors were great to work with! Also, everyone remained fun while still staying professional. I really got the idea that it was a team oriented environment. I also loved that there are huge opportunities for growth as a person and professionally.

The work was sometimes tedious.

I think that Capital One is a fun and innovative company that really has the customer in mind. That is something that sometimes gets overlooked when it comes to banking. I also would let any candidate know that Capital One has several opportunities for people who may not want to stay in their current position. There are several opportunities.

Explain a time where you took a leadership position.

Explain a time when you helped solve a problem.

Explain times when you have worked with a team in order to get something accomplished.

Advice to Management

I do believe that someone with graduate school experience should be a little higher compensated than those that do not.

It is a fantastic internship
McLean, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great managers and great training program

The compensation is fairly low for phd students

It is a great place to promote yourself as an internship

Solving Business Problems
McLean, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Solving real business problems.

No cons that I can think of.

Work to exceed expectations.

Best internship experience ever
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on learning experience

The length; too short

Definitely a good experience

Capital One Grants Interns Open-Reign in their own Summer Development
Richmond, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was the freedom and responsibility given to each intern. We had the ability to run with any idea that we had and were really set up for growth. We were also given amazing networking opportunities to talk to people very high up

Geographically, interns are very spread out yet included in the same programming. So some people had to drive and were not compensated for this while others (in SF for example) had to wake up for 8 am meetings when they were 11 am meetings to others

They are great and offer you so many opportunities to grow professionally and personally. I developed in so many more ways than I thought I would.

A lot of break even analysis (case)

job fit and behavioral (tell a time when you resolved an issue, when you worked on two projects at once, etc)

Advice to Management

promotion policies - interns were given a poor perspective of the promotion policies and made us all a little weary

Capital One offers a great learning experience

The relaxed atmosphere

Sometimes not having enough to do

Study Capital One's case interview questions because they are different than most cases.

Combining College Computer Science Experience with the Business World
McLean, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got an opportunity to learn about how banks and financials worked. I also learned how a major company operates and the day to day happenings. I also had the ability to shadow anyone and everyone was very helpful at the company.

The learning curve was very high for my specific role. I also don't think the majority of people in a software role would enjoy the role I was in. Some meetings also were too long.

Great place to learn and work. Requires an effort on the part of an incoming hire though to grow in certain roles.

A time when a teammate didn't do work

What is a garbage collector?

How does a buffer overflow attack work?

Difference between an array and a list?

How to integrate new software?

Advice to Management

I think more trainings would be beneficial. Also, meetings can be more to the point and involve only those necessary.

A summer-long project containing autonomy, fun times, hard work, and nice paychecks
Plano, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Autonomy, laid-back and fun culture, work-life balance

Numerous meetings and external assignments, training can be ineffective

Capital One cares about its employees and you will definitely see how they spend money for your benefit. In return, they have high expectations from you, but knowing you are a college student, they mostly expect you to learn as much as you can early on and show how you have learned and grown by the end of the internship. At the end of the day, the offer comes if you fit well in the culture in addition to doing a good job on your project.

They use lots of case questions, but the recruiters do a good job giving you the right information to prepare for them.

Advice to Management

There are many meetings and assignments that can often require employees to work longer hours to get their job done. Find a way to get a certain message across to all employees more effectively and hold meetings only where no good alternative exists.

Because the application process is highly competitive, the interns are treated with tremendous respect and given interesting projects.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and atmosphere struck an ideal balance between encouraging and challenging

No complaints.

There are noticeably high rates of promotion compared to other places, especially for young people. Also, the management seems to evaluate associates fairly and thoroughly.

I was asked not to disclose the interview questions.

Advice to Management

There is a very structured process for how software engineering tasks are assigned, discussed, and recorded, which can potentially trade off with a results-oriented approach to each individual project.