Capital One Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best IT Internships  /  #5 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Very interesting problems to be solved with great pay, comfortable hours, and intelligent and fun coworkers

See Title

I didn't feel like I got a good understanding of what day to day activities would be like for a full timer. I saw their final results, and we worked closely, but I wish I could have sat down a few times to go over the work they were doing (and perhaps in a few different teams so I could choose better if I come back).

I never went to a Capital One info session because I didn't see them as a particularly prestigious employer and only applied after seeing the job posting and realizing I would probably really enjoy the work. After my few months there, I would strongly recommend anyone with the same reservation to look past it and apply.

Real responsibility, great people

You get complete ownership of a real project

The timing of the internship is short so some things have to be rushed

If you are looking for real work and actual ownership without insane hours, Capital One might be right for you.

Date: 2013

Capital One internship offers not-notch training, very competitive compensation, and interns do real work

They spent a lot of effort and resources on my development

Too short to really learn my role

You cannot go wrong with Capital One, but make sure you compare other companies to see if it is the right fit

Advice to Management

The only thing that I think could be better is it would be great to have all the access and software exceptions beforehand. Many of us interns ended up waiting a week or two for our access to be granted

Fun, leasurely,

Flexibility. They are very attentive and do their best to keep interns happy and excited.

I did not feel challenged enough. The locations are also not ideal.

Be vocal about your needs. They are very accommodating and willing to help if they can.

Advice to Management

The diversity could be better as well as the quality of the training. I felt like some of the training was ineffective.

Date: 2013

Interesting work with good balance.

Informal work environment, reasonable hours, good pay

Lack of feedback

Be sure you can make the location work

My Internship at Capital One: A Summer of Work and Fun

The work/life balance, the very useful training seminars, lectures given by executives, the mentorship program, the team building activities, and the compensation of course!

I can't think of a single thing I didn't like!

Capital One is an excellent company to work for. Most of everyone I met were kind, laid back, and dedicated because that is the kind of environment the company provides. You will always have a place to relax at the many break areas, sitting areas, and lounges. Capital One's development program is especially for recent college-grads because it assigns each new hire with a mentor (usually someone from the last batch of new-hires) who helps streamline the transition between a school environment and an office environment.

Advice to Management

I can't think of a single thing. I was very happy with my compensation, and my hours. Even on the handful of days that I had to stay late, I didn't mind because the office was has such a happy, relaxing atmosphere! Capital One is extremely diverse, and there are so many training opportunities from online classes to the Capital One University, and all the guest speakers that I can't think of any way to improve the experience.

Date: 2013

The experience is absolutely amazing!

The best aspects was being given real work to do and also opportunities to network.

The only con I have is having to look for a place to stay. I wish I had more help with that.

Engage in every opportunity offered. The income is fantastic but the experience and learning will help you get further in your career. Be the best person you can be and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

Reaching out to more areas beside just northeast. When you begin to spread out a little more you will gain more talent and ideas.

Intern Proves It Is Possible to Have Fun While Working

The work/life balance was very nice, not expected to work super long hours. It was also nice to be part of a large intern class.

Some of the work was not particularly engaging.

It is hard to create a project that will be engaging and also meaningful that is realistic to complete within the time frame of internship so use your time as an intern to get to the company and the people who work there.

Advice to Management

Make the internship onboarding more similar to ADP onboarding.

Date: 2013

Supportive collaborative environment offers opportunity for growth

Managers care about your development, teams collaborate and there is no cut throat competitiveness. Project leads encourage you to learn from experience but are willing to help whenever necessary. Intern events are great. People are great!

Some interns get stuck in crappy team situations. HR and recruiting are really helpful with this if you reach out to them, but some people don't do that and suffer and some even dont get offers (very few). I didn't have this bad experience and few do but in such a big program it does happen. Also having some people you know in different locations kinda sucks but that's not a big deal.

The culture at capital one is great! The way the company values feedback and structurally gives it is great. The program coordinators are very helpful with any problems as long as you Bring it to them.

Advice to Management

Maybe some better training schedules for interns. (Card economics class needs to be earlier). That's about it.

Date: 2013

Engaging work, engaging people, engaging possibilities for future opportunities

The work, the events for interns and speaker series, the intern fun days, the chance to voice own ideas and take initiative to network outside direct team

Business analyst interns have a bit more structure than brand/marketing interns since the brand program is new. Still awesome though!

Consider the importance of mentorship when deciding if a team is the right for for you, if the manager is someone who will help you grow

Advice to Management

Make promotion and pay policies more transparent and clear, be up front about potential for intern offers (ie how's my positions are available)