Capital One Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best IT Internships  /  #5 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #15 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Supportive collaborative environment offers opportunity for growth

Managers care about your development, teams collaborate and there is no cut throat competitiveness. Project leads encourage you to learn from experience but are willing to help whenever necessary. Intern events are great. People are great!

Some interns get stuck in crappy team situations. HR and recruiting are really helpful with this if you reach out to them, but some people don't do that and suffer and some even dont get offers (very few). I didn't have this bad experience and few do but in such a big program it does happen. Also having some people you know in different locations kinda sucks but that's not a big deal.

The culture at capital one is great! The way the company values feedback and structurally gives it is great. The program coordinators are very helpful with any problems as long as you Bring it to them.

Advice to Management

Maybe some better training schedules for interns. (Card economics class needs to be earlier). That's about it.

Intern Proves It Is Possible to Have Fun While Working

The work/life balance was very nice, not expected to work super long hours. It was also nice to be part of a large intern class.

Some of the work was not particularly engaging.

It is hard to create a project that will be engaging and also meaningful that is realistic to complete within the time frame of internship so use your time as an intern to get to the company and the people who work there.

Advice to Management

Make the internship onboarding more similar to ADP onboarding.

Date: 2013

Capital One internship offers not-notch training, very competitive compensation, and interns do real work

They spent a lot of effort and resources on my development

Too short to really learn my role

You cannot go wrong with Capital One, but make sure you compare other companies to see if it is the right fit

Advice to Management

The only thing that I think could be better is it would be great to have all the access and software exceptions beforehand. Many of us interns ended up waiting a week or two for our access to be granted

Date: 2013

Heavy analytics with fantastic work-life balance and fun company culture

People, company culture, Monday fun carts, young employee base, sports teams

Location - no possibility for travel, very data heavy

If you like numbers and analysis and want to work in a fun, college-like atmosphere, definitely consider Capital One!

Advice to Management

Not really under their control, but more travel possibilities and location options

Capital One the Google of Banking

Treated like a regular employee, given real responsibilities, paid well, lots of fun activities.

Not being able to spend time in other parts of the company to get a feel for what some of the other interns were doing.

Don't look at just the money. Look at the company values, their work/life balance and how dedicated they are to they're employees.

Advice to Management

Have managers clear out their schedule for a week so they can more fully dedicate their time to new hires/interns. Doing this gives the new hire/intern time to get familiar with a lot of the day to day processes and hopefully gives them enough training that they can work on some routine day to day items when the manager isn't around to train them more.

Data driven enhancement strategy

The best aspect was the fact that I presented my findings and recommendations to partner teams on a few different occassions and was driving changes to the strategy. The changes will be implented soon and people were eager to understand the findings.

I didnt sit with my team and Capital One uses a lot of acronyms that are hard to catch on to

Data analysis drives the strategy at Capital One - have to comfortable with numbers and quantitative analysis

Advice to Management

Teradata training should be improved

Balanced, Engaging, Intellectually Stimulating

The people, the depth of analysis, the pay

No international opportunities

Capital One is an amazing place to work; the atmosphere is fun yet hardworking. I would recommend this to anyone interested in consulting, operations, or finance.

Date: 2013

Using data analytics to solve challenging business problems

The best parts of the internship was to have ownership of a project that was meaningful to the business unit. I met with senior-level managers during the data collection and analysis phases, and my recommendations were taken seriously, even though it meant changing the direction from where they planned to go.

I am not as passionate about the credit card industry--particularly the area in collections that I worked in.

Don't let Capital One's a people-focused and laid back culture beguile you into thinking that it is an easy place to work. A high performance bar is held for all associates, and you will definitely be intellectually challenged.

Advice to Management

The company did a great job so it is difficult to think about something. Perhaps, work with candidates more once they have been extended an offer, and help them get placed in a part of the company that will work will with their strengths and interests.

Date: 2013

Working with smart people to transform big data into customer experiences that are both positive and profitable

- The Capital One Internship Program provides interns the opportunity to take ownership of a project that directly affects the company's performance. An intern may be responsible for persuading management to make multi-million dollar decisions. - Capital One's people are very collegial, and there is an effort by management to make themselves accessible. Not only are the majority of associates incredibly nice, they are also very intelligent. Every day, I am learning about new ways to approach problems. Overall, Capital One's associates have a culture of being well-balanced and competent. - The skills you will develop are currently very in-demand. Capital One is an analytic powerhouse, and you can learn from some of the very best analysts there. - Capital One stands behind values that make me proud working for the company.

- At first, the job can seem overwhelming. Everything around you is moving at a rapid pace, while you are still playing catch-up. It may take a while to get adjusted and become familiar with all of the analytic tools available.

The Business Analyst role at Capital One is aptly named - you must be an analytical thinker to thrive. If you enjoy working with large amounts of data, developing and testing hypotheses, and thinking about problems down to their minute details, you'll enjoy being a Business Analyst.

Date: 2013

Engaging work, engaging people, engaging possibilities for future opportunities

The work, the events for interns and speaker series, the intern fun days, the chance to voice own ideas and take initiative to network outside direct team

Business analyst interns have a bit more structure than brand/marketing interns since the brand program is new. Still awesome though!

Consider the importance of mentorship when deciding if a team is the right for for you, if the manager is someone who will help you grow

Advice to Management

Make promotion and pay policies more transparent and clear, be up front about potential for intern offers (ie how's my positions are available)