Intern at Capital One Finance Internship Program? Submit a Review

Capital One exceeded expectations in every area of the finance internship program, providing a well-rounded experience

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got a well-rounded experience. I performed value-adding work, was treated like a real employee, and was encouraged to network with people in difference areas of interest to me. We had adequate training, events that brought the interns together, and several executive speakers.

There was nothing I didn't like about my internship, but I would maybe have liked to collaborate with the other interns on projects or do something that connected us more to each other's areas of finance.

Capital One's workplace culture really is as good as everyone says. There is a flat hierarchy, where everyone treats everyone the same. As an intern, I had so much access to senior leadership, which is not common for internships at big banks.

Advice to Management

I have no recommendations.

Tell me about a time you had to overcome an obstacle in a group project.

The Internship of a Lifetime

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

We received a lot of support from the program. We had biweekly class meetings that were helpful and informative because they were very open and people were able to voice their questions and observations without fear of it negatively impacting them. We also received training throughout the program that really helped us grow. Even though we were just interns, I felt that we were treated as equals with the full-time rotational program associates.

For the last week or so, there wasn't as much to do because we had already completed our projects and given our final presentations. This could also be viewed a plus though because we had the opportunity to do random tasks that we hadn't been exposed to yet.

This company is ranked as one of the best places to work for a reason. They have more to offer than I ever could have imagined and I learned so much during my time here.

Case interview, behavioral interview, personality fit interview

Great hands-on learning experience, filled with development and expanding networks and relationships within the company

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the actual hands on projects that were beneficial to my team/leadership
training programs throughout the summer for continued education and growth
the people I got to work with

a little more guidance on what to do once project is finished

I think I would say this is an awesome place to work and an incredible corporate culture. You will be working on a wide array of projects, some of which you may have no previous experience on. Just approach each day with an open mind, willing to work, and be proactive with asking questions.

Advice to Management

I think continuing to do trainings and provide events where you can network and interact with people outside your team

Tell me about a time you had to overcome adversity
Time when you failed and what you learned from that
Time when you had to help others

Incredible Personal and Professional Learning Experience

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work sponsored events (Retreat, executive speakers, dinners, happy hours). Meeting CEO/Founder Rich Fairbank. The amount of investment HR and my managers put into my experience. Experiencing the corporate culture of a Fortune 100 company.

I didn't like some of the program "buddies"

Capital One expects you to work very hard (this was not a surprise to me but to some it may be). They treat you like a full time associate and they expect the same behavior. Be willing to receive feedback and actively seek it. Let others who have experience help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You're not expected to know everything and Capital One places a premium on people who want to continuously learn. Understand that communication can single-handedly make or break how far you are able to develop and to get people to want to help you and root for you.

Advice to Management

Choose some FRP buddies who are more mature and have at least 1 year working with COF.

Learn, Play, Grow

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The learning and teaching aspect of the internship, along with the environment In the work force and the people who are constantly supporting you and pushing you to do better

The separation between the interns because of location differences

Go with an open mind, willing to learn and ask a lot of questions. Don't be afraid to fail and get back up

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. Provide some training to the class managers

n/a

The Finance Internship Program at Capital One allows college students to participate in meaningful, hands-on work.

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The program allowed for plenty of growing opportunities, both personally and professionally. We learned all about the company and the executives were very transparent in talking with us about the future of the company and the roles that they hope we can play in helping Capital One to evolve.

My least favorite part of the internship was traveling to Northern Virginia fairly consistently. However, my time spent in McLean was meaningful.

This is a very, very well-rounded program that allows you to experience multiple roles within the world of finance. You also are exposed to other roles within the business that widens your horizons and really helps you to understand what happens in a business. If you are looking for a collaborative culture in a company that is forward-thinking, this is a great place to come.

Cost-Benefit Analysis
Optimal ATM location
Profit Maximization
Break-even analysis
Basic Behavioral Questions
Job-fit (personality) interview

Finance Internship with good benefits, good pay, and amazing culture!

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Fantastic benefits and pay from the program, especially for college students.
Great culture that you get sold on almost immediately.
Very much institutional support.

Honestly, there isn't anything that really rings out.

I wish I had known just how good the culture was here - I could have compared it better to other companies and realized how important that was going into the internship process.

Given great insight to management's vision, exposure to real projects, balance between strategic and financial modeling work.

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Financial modeling, management's openness to meeting you, training to standard competency.

Nothing worth reporting.

I wish I knew the different groups you could be assigned to for the internship.

A chance to grow

McLean, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- culture is absolutely amazing. you can set up meetings to meet with anyone regardless of title/position to learn about what they do
- people value your opinion and interests, try to help you learn and grow

- my specific role did not have to due with financial analysis at all
- you don't have a big say on what team you will join

This program is perfect for someone who enjoys business/finance but doesn't know exactly what you want to do within the area. However, if you know that you have a specific interest such as becoming an equity research analyst, this place is not for you.

Advice to Management

Work on providing better projects for entry level associates to develop skills within finance

Finance case interview.
Why do you want to work at Capital One?
Personality fit interview

Fun culture and interesting financial work within the banking sector.

Richmond, VA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was the flexible work culture, the office and intern events, and the challenging aspect of the work we did

I didn't like the location of the internship very much, I would have preferred to be located in DC.

I wish I had known how casual the work culture was before starting the internship and folks general openness about things.

Give an example of a time you faced challenges.

Case question concerning profit maximization within a specialized sector with opportunities to draw parallels to related sectors.