Intern at Barclays Investment Bank (Americas) Functions and Technology Summer Analyst and Associate Programs? Submit a Review

Great finance rotational program but not great overview of entire business and other options outside of finance & within the investment bank

- People

- Location

- Learning

- Rotational

- One of my specfic roles was not overly interesting to me

Meet with as many people as possible. Although the rotational aspect of this internship is great, it does not give you insight into all potential placements within the bank. That being said, I found it very helpful to see what other positions were available by reaching out to directors, managing directors, and even analysts. Everyone I met with was willing to meet and very helpful.

Advice to Management

I thought management did a great job getting us as much exposure to different roles within the bank with Finance Speaker Series and gave us many opportunities to create our own connections with numerous networking events. Our compensation and hours are fair. Training was the perfect amount of time and allowed our class of Functions and Technology interns to grow close. The one thing I wish we had more information on a little bit earlier is the Graduate Program.

- Tell me about yourself/ Walk me through your resume.

- What do you think makes you a great team member/leader?

- Why do you want to do finance?

- If you're looking at acquiring a company, what financial statement would be the most beneficial to look at?

Experience banking industry

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

we were provided many networking opportunities including network events, meet the director/managing director initiative, etc.
people here are great and friendly.

there were not many social events.

the job details.

The Barclays Way

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I take full control of my time and project

Sometimes I have no tasks to work on and the job preference system works terribly.

The specific job preferences of the role.

Best Compliance Intern Program on Wall Street

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The Barclays Compliance Summer Intern Program is a very well-organized ten-week internship. Personally, I found the best aspect of this internship to be the exposure to different people and groups within the compliance department. Over the course of ten weeks on the desk, interns get a good sense of what compliance is generally, learn to appreciate and understand the importance of this function in an investment bank, and obtain a more specialized knowledge of the product/group they are assigned to in the first week. The compliance internship at Barclays is unique in that interns receive exposure to senior people in the firm, and this program is specifically structured to encourage interns to set up one-on-one meetings with different people in the department. Regardless of whether or not I receive an offer post-internship, I will leave grateful for the experience, network, and self-development that this program has helped me to achieve.

The onboarding process was long and tedious, but I'm sure it's the same for many other large firms.

If you're interested in pursuing a career in compliance, I honestly don't think there's a better place to begin your career. Barclays, as a firm, emphasizes the importance of doing things the right way, and I strongly believe that these values/conduct guidelines make the work of a compliance employee a lot easier. Having seen quite a few business-compliance interactions at Barclays, I can attest to the fact that compliance, as a function, is valued here. Therefore, I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is interested in compliance/finance/law.

Barclays's fosters and encourages young talent. The summer anaylst program allows you to explore your passion and meet new people

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands down the people. I have met such smart, kind, and engaging people this summer in every department/on every team. They make me excited to come to work everyday.

That it is not a rotational program. Also, how it does not really allow individuals to really explore/ learn about other divisions outside of your own.

I would really emphasize the extent to which barclays' is focused on diversity and encouraging/ advancing the careers of young professionals. Also I would include how even as an intern, you are treated as an equal and your work is respected.

Excel Shortcuts

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship provides a great mentoring program and many networking opportunities. The company's culture is very supportive and helpful so that questions are welcomed. I like the aspect of rotating so we had the opportunity to experience two different areas.

There was a lot of down time with work and requesting access to the company's systems takes long.

Barclays has the intensity of an investment bank but balanced by a well rounded company culture that makes it more appealing than other banks.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to have access to the systems by our first day on the desk so that we are able to do work from the beginning.

Tell me about yourself.

What are bonds?

Why would you choose Barclays over the other investment banks?

Excellent opportunity to learn new things under proper guidance of people surrounded you.

Team bonding

It should be 12 weeks program.

Don’t miss this wonderful opportunity. Work hard and secured your future.

My interview was based on SQL. Also, they ask some financial questions on Bonds, Dividends, Stocks.

Great Learning Environment

I got to learn a lot.

Everyone is easily approachable.

Sometimes the setup was an issue.

Have an attitude to learn as much as you can.

Come here to experience the real time problems in the industry and learn how to solve them.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I have learnt a programming language from the scratch and can now code with confidence.

There is no shadowing period to know more and learn fast about what the employees in your team do on a daily basis.

Come with the enthusiasm to learn things and you will have some of the good memories by the end of the program

Fantastic Culture Combined with Subpar Work Makes for Solid Internship

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, the people, the respect, the level of flexibility our internship gave us, the networking opportunities.

I was looking to tangibly contribute more towards the team but was not quite able to do so.

Barclays is a wonderful company with a host of internal growth opportunities. If you're looking for stability in terms of solid colleagues, a respectful and decent work-life balance, then Barclays is the place.

Advice to Management

Compensation could always be higher, but that's what everyone says. To become a better place to work, I would encourage management to allow interns the flexibility to recruit in other areas of the bank, should they so choose. Also, an emphasis on Excel during training should be discussed.

Walk me through your resume.

Could you elaborate on (x, y, z).