Intern at Barclays Investment Bank (Americas) Functions and Technology Summer Analyst and Associate Programs? Submit a Review

Great Exposure to Senior Management While Gaining Real-Life Insight into the Work of a Compliance Officer

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Large amount of access to senior management (directors & MDs), intern program managers who cared about making sure interns had a great experience and made changes when necessary, the work was substantial and akin to what actual employees do, fast-paced work environment, great hours & good compensation

The consistency of work can be irregular so there will be periods in which you have a lot of work to do and other times where you are searching for work to do

I would advise potential candidates to figure out how wide the scope of Compliance is before coming to ensure that you make the most of your experience is. Barclays is a great place for young talent and you really want to make the most of the networking and community-building opportunities that they have to offer

Advice to Management

I think they should just continue to have intern program managers like the ones they currently have who have been very open to suggestion for improvements during the summer and have addressed concerns/issues that have arisen in a timely manner. The one thing I would advise is that the initial week training is more tailored toward the compliance space, because it was very finance heavy, which is not really relevant to the work that compliance interns do on a day-to-day basis.

1. Tell me about a time where you worked through a challenge with your team.
2. Tell me about your last internship and what your typical tasks were.
3. What are some of your strengths/weaknesses?
The questions were mostly behavioral and resume-based so prepare for those types of questions if you have an interview.

Financial Crime

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Barclays provides a fantastic structure for the internship program, you are assigned a Junior Mentor and a Senior Mentor and the host multiple activities throughout the summer that allow you to talk with multiple people throughout the bank

A majority of the Compliance Directors are very nice, however there are still a few who are condescending; which is the team that I was placed on. They were not very supportive of allowing me to meet with other people in the department. This is not typical though, because the other interns did not have the same experience.

Make sure that you do your research about Barclays values, as well as demonstrate that you are able to work in teams.

Touch Business and Technology in 10 weeks at Real Finance World

Location, Salary

The project for BA is not very challenging and technical.

The specific group you're going to join and the project needed background and techniques.

Advice to Management

Set technical trainings such as review key points in data structures etc for technology interns.

Well-thought out program that provides real experience in the business and opportunities to learn and network

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work assigned, networking, exposure, projects, presentations, and people

Some of the work was a bit menial and not very important to the team. The pay was not very competitive with the firm's peers.

Take on as much work as you can handle, stay positive, and network. I wish I had known how important it is to network across the function and firm.

Advice to Management

The organization should consider raising compensation, providing more work-life balance opportunities, increasing opportunities for women, and enhancing Excel training.

What's something you would like to share that's not on your resume.
How have you demonstrated integrity in your life?
What is an example of a time you overcame adversity?
Why Barclays?
Why HR?

Taste of the real world

Learning and networking

10 weeks flew by

Network Network Network!!!

Work with very nice people and the workload is reasonble.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Managers and teammates are very nice and helpful.

The atmosphere is very serious and people rarely talk.

The technology team does not have much pressure comparing to banking, and working hours are very flexible (people can work from home often). What an intern will do is highly depends on each team, even though they are all tech interns. Some people use Excel most of the time and some do coding.

Barclays provides interns with open enviroment to grow and prosper.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the best aspect of the internship program was the willingness of the full-time employees and management to want to chat and be involved in the internship program. Employees were always willing to meet with you and loved sheding light on their career and offering and advice they can.

I would have liked there to be more clarity and transpareny when it comes to offer determination and the criteria we will be evaluated on when it is being determined.

Always be proactive. Keep your team and manger updated on what your doing and when your doing it.

Advice to Management

For the internship program I think there could have been a little more division specific training. While the first week in the beggining was dedicated more to general trainning. I think learning about the processes and systems your team deals with would have saved a lot of time and been greatly beneficial.

Why do you want to work at Barclays? What is a bank reconcilliation? Can you tell me about something going on in the markets? What is your biggest strength/weakness?

A Good Balance of Qualitative and Quantitative work in the Finance Function

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My favorite aspect was the people I was working with who were always willing to help and talk with you, even if you did not directly work with them.

The system issues are a bit annoying but most big companies have this issue.

Try to research all about the different businesses / services offered at Barclays so you have a context for exactly what the bank does.

Unforgettable opportunity worth cherishing. Thank you.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The exposrue, chance to network with the best people in the industry, and definitely the presence of a collaborative culture within a stressful industry.

Probably the fact that we never knew where we were going to get placed until the end of the week of training. Perhaps the interns should be given the chance to express the areas where they would be really interested in having an impact.

Maybe how the structure of the bank is broken up in terms of roles. So bascially how Barclays defines Finance for instance and what falls into finance, as this may vary form bank to bank. Other from that, I think the bank did a great job in being clear and transparent about themselves as an organization.

Advice to Management

Probably maintaining the desire to increase diversity in the workplace. I know Barclays is leading efforts in this and I think that as they continue to do that they will experience higher employee retention. Diverse individuals will feel a loyalty to the insitution that gives them an opportunity. Promotion policies probably also play a big role but I am not familiar with these enough to discuss them.

They asked me about the contents of a banks balance sheet. So basically asked what I expected to see in a banks balance sheet. Then we drifted into debt and types of debt through the discussion.

They asked me that if I had to choose only one financial statement to evaluate a company, which one would I choose.

An exciting and thought-provoking experience

internship program events

no rotational program within technology

know better about the team you're working with before the internship starts