Intern at Barclays Investment Bank (Americas) Functions and Technology Summer Analyst and Associate Programs? Submit a Review

Working in an European investment bank in New York.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture in Barclays is good, and people are nice.

There were not enough intern events compared to past years.

Technology department is more like a development group. If you are not interested in software development, you should apply for different department.

The right balance of challenging and friendly to foster a curious mind.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The employees were always willing to help and were great at explaining concepts

Not as much intern-to-intern networking

Understand why/what you are working on and how it applies to the company as a whole. Once you understand that, always look for improvements.

Advice to Management

Give interns more responsibilities.

Name the three financial statements.
Name a time you led a group.
If I gave you a million dollars to buy a company but you could only have two financial statements, which two would you take?

The learning process of how a Wall Street bank operates

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking opportunities and different intern events you get to do. It is all very organized also and well put together program.

Sometimes you don't have a lot of work to do.

The relocation bonus is taxed down from 2500 to only 1400 so take that into consideration when selecting housing and expenses. This internship is half work and half meeting people and networking so prepare to do a lot of meeting with new people.

Advice to Management

Communicate more or set up events from the time you receive an offer to the time you start working. There was a six month period where little to no communication was received, it just seemed like wasted time.

If you were looking to invest in a company, what financial statement would you look at and what would you look for? What if the company was a start up?

Tell me about yourself

Exciting Summer at Barclays

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Got some real good work and networked with lot of people.

You have to work long hours and you don't get paid for it.

Be focused, focus on your basics. You can get the offer. Once you join Barclays network and do your work right on time.

Advice to Management

Technology specific training can be provided/

Assist with audits for a great team with excellent work culture; additional intern and networking events a plus

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great networking opportunities and HR hosted events. Mentors were also very helpful with helping me meet with the people in groups I have interests in.

On some days (especially when transitioning between audits) there just isn't much to do.

I was told that Barclays is very reputation focused and does not have a hostile, intense environment that most assume big banks have. Management doesn't demand that you be at your desk 24/7, and people are encouraged to be friendly and share their experiences with younger analysts.

Advice to Management

A project/presentation assignment for interns to work on throughout the summer and present at the end of the program may be helpful.

Questions about:
your experiences on your resume (talk about your experience at X company)
relevant news (what are your thoughts on Blackrock automating trading?)
personality based questions (what would your ideal manager be like?)

Fantastic, immersive opportunity to learn about Financial Services through HR

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Barclays is known for its culture and good, smart, driven and down-to-earth people. I heard this said often before I joined, and I am pleased to say that it is true. Every person that I met during my internship--regardless of their place on the totem pole--treated me with the same level of respect. I was never scoffed at for being an intern; in fact, it was encouraged and applauded. I felt always felt empowered, welcome, and comfortable in the office.

I have difficulty answering this question because I really enjoyed everything about the role. If I really had to think of something, it would probably be that financial services is not what it once was, and some of the benefits do not hold a candle to what you can get at a tech firm today (free food, etc).

I really think it's important to think about the culture of the firm and the type of people you know who go there, and if that is aligned with how you operate. During the interview process, you are going to meet with 2-4 people. Notice the commonalities between them, ask them how they feel about the people they work with and for, etc. Your team makes all the difference; those are the people who will make you look forward to/dread going to work everyday.

Advice to Management

The next step that I think financial services will need to take in attracting and retaining millennials will be to enhance facilities and benefits. As silly as it sounds, the difference between getting free food, good coffee, and (for some) more casual attire can make a big difference when deciding where to work when the pay is comparable.

Can you give me a time that you had to convince others of something?

What was the last presentation you gave?

How do you work in a team?

What have you learned from working in teams?

How do you deal with conflict?

insight into the investment bank

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

- exposure to the trading products
- networking opportunities with employees in the bank

no rotation

get to know more about the job function

Great people, great company.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were incredible. My line manager was an amazing teacher and mentor. I truly learned a lot from working with some of the smartest people I've ever met.

I wish there was more of an opportunity to explore the different areas within HR. I loved the work I did on my specific team, but it would have been helpful to spend some time working with at least one other team as well.

This is truly a great organization to work for. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and reach out to senior leaders at the bank and within your function. Everyone here wants to help interns learn and develop, which is something to take advantage of.

Advice to Management

I have not received offer notification yet, but to my understanding the starting salary is the same salary as the intern salary. To be competitive with other banks of Barclays' caliber, the salary for full-time should be at least a little bit higher.

Why are you interested in Barclays?

Why are you interested in HR?

What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

How do you work on a team?

Tell us about your past work/internship experiences.

You will learn a ton.

Pay, Interesting work.

The commute

Be prepared for long hours

Good test to see if you like back office/Control work.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, networking, location, overtime pay

Work was mundane, not generally interested in work long term

It is nothing like front office. Hours are fine. Work is mundane.