Intern at Barclays Investment Bank (Americas) Functions and Technology Summer Analyst and Associate Programs? Submit a Review

Great people, lots to learn and an evolving culture; best internship ever!

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking with senior management who are eager to have conversations with the interns was the best aspect of the internship.

My least favorite part was preparing for the intern debate. The debate overall was a great experience but the mental preparation was tough

Coming into the firm you have little to no knowledge of the various departments and their function. With that said, you will not know everything or anything at all especially if you are not majoring in business. The employees at Barclays understand your knowledge level , so they focus on your ability to learn and how you apply yourself. Take initiative and be intellectually curious about everything, whether its technical or about the firm's culture. Never limit yourself to one area of focus because there is so much to learn. I wish I had more product knowledge coming in because it would have made the learning process easier however, it forced me to ask a lot of questions and to do more reading on my own. Lastly be your best self. The firm is interested in you as a person because you can learn how to do anything. What they can't teach you are the intangible qualities that make a great employee.

Advice to Management

The training sessions were great. My one advice is to include more city universities in their recruiting process.

1. Can you speak to one event that is currently affecting the industry?
2. Can you give think of a time you worked with a difficult team and how did you resolve it?

Professional yet fun!

Line Manager.
Networking Events.
HR

We did not have any sporting event like the last years who had a free bowling night event!

I would like to know the team I would join before coming in as an Intern.

Advice to Management

NA

It's inspiring to see how huge organizations work effectively and the contribution you can make as an intern.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The People - Everybody at Barclays is super nice. This makes working here a breeze while making important contributions to the organization.

The pace - Sometimes, Barclays because of it's sheer size tends to move slow and it's the only thing that I didn't like.

1. The way Banks work in general.
2. What role does Technology play in Banks.

Compliance - Much More Complex than it Appears

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Met a lot of influential and intelligent people; learned a lot about compliance and about other aspects of the business being that I had a product facing role; in the center of NYC; lots of intern networking events

rotational program would be very interesting

embrace your steep learning curve - you will come in and have to learn a lot in a small period of time but make it a good thing and master it

Advice to Management

very helpful to provide intern with expectations and as much information as possible (what you need to do to get a job, how much time a task should/could take you, etc.)

What is the importance of the compliance function within the firm?

What is the role of regulation in today's economy?

My Memorable Summer With Barclays

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. Welcoming staff across the organization. Members of both the front and back office were willing to spend time with interns.
2. Meaningful work. During the internship I felt like the work I was doing on a day to day basis had a legitimate meaning and benefit to the organization.
3. HR Involvement. HR was incredibly involved in the internship program and scheduled numerous intern events including senior guest speakers as well as a fin-tech start up challenge.
4. Rotational component of the internship. Every finance intern rotated between two group within finance.

I honestly did not have any complaints about the program.

Apply as early as possible. Competition gets much more intense later in the recruitment cycle.

Excellent Opportunity to work with real time projects, Data, Environment, Friendly people, Easily approchable, Great Networking events

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

To be a part of Agile based workflow, Great team environment and culture

New technologies has been implemented recently

Number of opportunities in several domains

Intern Learns the Value of Being Valued

The people.

Closed cafeteria.

Any newcomer should take advantage of the amazing networking opportunities as soon as they arrive. This includes attending already-scheduled events by Campus Recruiting, but one should also make the effort to reach out to a wide variety of employees and get to know their story.

Advice to Management

Although I received great feedback from my managers, the most helpful was when it was focused on what I can improve. Everyone loves to hear the things they're doing well, but most people only grow when they're given constructive criticism.

- Describe a time you worked in a team and the role you played on it.
- Looking at what this summer entails, what is your biggest insecurity?
- What made you choose your university?
- Describe a time that you failed and how you recovered from it.
- What has been your greatest accomplishment?

great learning experience to see if finance was a good fit

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

able to rotate through two different groups of summer tremendous plus few other internships offered...opportunities to interact with senior managers was tremendous

Easy to move around within division, but harder to switch to different division (front office)

glass wall between front and bank office

Rewarding, with intensive networking

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to talk to risk managers from different asset classes. Understand different risk components in rates trading.

Projects can be more product-related

Know more about current employees and get some advice. However, the interview question is not highly related to the daily tasks.

Barclays, a great program to learn and find your career path

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the opportunity to network with upper management. The environment also encouraged interns to ask questions and find out more about the bankas a whole.

I did not like how late I was informed of what team I would be on.

I wishi had known more about the structure of the finance department and what the different groups' roles were.

Advice to Management

More freedom to choose which departments you rotate into