Intern at Barclays Investment Bank (Americas) Functions and Technology Summer Analyst and Associate Programs? Submit a Review

One of the greatest experiences I ever had.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and the support the firm provides is one of the best I have ever come across.

There was nothing I did not like about the internship

The rotations for the functions and technology internships are selected for you.

Work on projects, see it go into production, Network and at the same time enjoy various Intern events every week.

Projects, Agile Development, Networking and Fun Events

Duration - It should be longer

Join for the complete internship experience. You are an intern but will be working and have responsibilities just like a full time employee. You will get an opportunity to meet some of the very senior Executives working at Barclays. I had chance to interact with company CEO, CTO , President and various MD's.

Questions mostly related to Data Structures (mainly Linked List, Stack, Queue and Binary Trees), String manipulation and SQL queries.

Life Changing

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of this internship was exposure to senior management and all areas of the bank.

One part of our program could have been structured in a more clear, concise way.

There was this huge summer internship project.

An opportunity to learn the financial industry through back-office functions while working with clients across the business.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to explore areas all over the business and meet people in all different functions at all different levels.

Someone was hired into my position for full-time, at which point, I was no longer given much responsibility and felt as though I was no longer part of the team.

Having structure in an internship is the best thing you can look for in a summer program. Barclays has an amazing program structure that helps you get the most out of the experience.

Barclays: the Best Bank of Wall Street

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Regardless of what team you work in, people are supportive, welcoming, and are always willing to help both within and outside of the team. The culture of this firm is what I felt made it stand out.

I didn't find anything negative about the internship, however, I do think that a timeline or calender with internship events would be useful. I also wish that there would be more casual intern events for us to get together as a class.

Barclays is a bank that truly values its own values. I was able to tell because one of my interviews was dedicated to examples of the RISES Values.

Hands-on project with a great team but not much responsibility

hands-on project

not much responsibility

be confident and don't let the pressure get to your head. AND NETWORK! Barclays is an open door and reach out to whoever you want

Amazing learning experience

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned a lot about the business and the financial services industry at large. I got an opportunity to network with people from even outside of my division and learn about their work. Everyone at Barclays is super enthusiastic and friendly and they do their best to foster a great work culture. Moreover, Barclays is working on some amazing projects and I got the opportunity on working on one of those which was great.

I have no complaints with my internship. I loved every aspect of it.

Barclays is more than just a bank, it is as good as any full fledged technology company for a technology career.

Learning as much as possible and gaining real-life work experience.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

relevant experience, meaningful work, great networking opportunities, a lot of internship program support from high level employees

The only con will be if I don't receive a full-time offer.

You are going to learn so much about your role and the industry and you will be given real analyst and VP work.

Felt like a part of the team, and doing service to the firm.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given a high level of responsibility.
Class of interns bonded very well.

There were no negatives.

Barclays is a very collaborative and open culture. It promotes a work-life balance, and is a great company to work for.

The Best Summer I Have Ever Had

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that this internship was rotational was great because it gave us Finance interns much more exposure to the company as well as the different positions offered here. I also loved having both a Junior and Senior Mentor to help us along the way. The networking events and the RISE challenge we had were greatly planned and were great ways to network with people. I also loved the fact that we were encouraged to go to all the other events not planned by HR and especially network with Directors who we usually would be intimited to approach. I throughly enjoyed the Finance Speaker Series talks we had because they set up in an initimate setting with very senior people, which allowed us interns to feel much more comfortable speaking our mind, asking questions, and leave an impression on people with a powerful influence within the firm. Lastly, I loved the corporate culture that Barclays has set up. The people here are extremely collaborative, supportive, and genuinely willing to help which helped shape my experience over these last 10 weeks.

There really was nothing I did not love, except the fact that the cafeteria closed down halfway through the summer.

My advice to a potential candidate would be to cherish every single moment you have with your fellow peers. I have formed and fostered some lifelong relationships in just a small matter of time, so it would be to network not only within the company but with your peers as much as you can. Also, another small piece of advice is that you will doubt your skillset and your intelligence, but that is okay! We are all here to learn and hone our skills, so be curious, don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they aren't great, be yourself, and have fun!

Advice to Management

I think one thing management could work on is to match your major to your first rotation or maybe allow us to give a preference as to what area we would like to be in. Although I understand it is important to allow us to learn about as much as we can and gain exposure to different desks and businesses, a lot of interns were placed in fields they had zero prior knowledge about. So, maybe instead of the first rotation being a random selection, allow us to express a preference or match what we are studying in school to what our rotations will be.

1. "You invest $100. In the first year, it grows by 10% and the next year it falls by 10%. How much do you have left?"

2. "Walk me through your resume" or "Tell me about yourself"

3. "If you were to make a decision as to whether to invest in a company or not, what financial statement would you use: Cash Flow, Balance Sheet, Income Statement? Why?"

4. "Why Barclays?"